Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

frankenfreak posted:

I don't really care about Absolute Andy, but his promo on ZSJ on Shotgun had me laughing like an idiot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBBluPeP26M

When the hell do episodes of Shotgun get up on Powerbomb.tv? The last one there is 357 from June 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

rovert and von linus, neither of you told me we'd be singing the national anthem

They do that every show. It is great imo and if you don't stand and sing for it we all turn on you and destroy you.

What did you think of the show? I view the promotion as my beautiful son, and I think it's their best poo poo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Both shows were excellent. That kid who wrestled Juice on the second night was really impressive. Can't believe he's only 17.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Both shows were excellent. That kid who wrestled Juice on the second night was really impressive. Can't believe he's only 17.

Yeah, Scotty Davis, he's amazing. He's got that Kurt Angle speed of movement.

The throwing people headlong into the seats thing pretty much started this show, but they really seem to have taken to the notion.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Von Linus posted:

The throwing people headlong into the seats thing pretty much started this show, but they really seem to have taken to the notion.
Even in NJPW it seems to only have really come into vogue this year. Maybe Juice and Ishii want to spread the gospel of sending seats scattering. Juice and Ishii disappearing into the crowd and just hearing glass bottles clattering about was hilarious.

Scotty is in Ospreay's fed as a young lion where he's only allowed to do basic moves like an NJPW young lion which doesn't seem necessary with him lol. There's a lot about Ospreay's company that feels like cargo cult NJPW with him doing things NJPW does without understanding why they do it. (see also: the backstage interviews done in NJPW style when they do them that away to allow the press to interview them)

Also, is Devlin sticking around? That promo on the contenders show, and Devlin and Toni getting pulled with him not being on the poster for the October show seems a little suspicious.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Even in NJPW it seems to only have really come into vogue this year. Maybe Juice and Ishii want to spread the gospel of sending seats scattering. Juice and Ishii disappearing into the crowd and just hearing glass bottles clattering about was hilarious.

Scotty is in Ospreay's fed as a young lion where he's only allowed to do basic moves like an NJPW young lion which doesn't seem necessary with him lol. There's a lot about Ospreay's company that feels like cargo cult NJPW with him doing things NJPW does without understanding why they do it. (see also: the backstage interviews done in NJPW style when they do them that away to allow the press to interview them)

Also, is Devlin sticking around? That promo on the contenders show, and Devlin and Toni getting pulled with him not being on the poster for the October show seems a little suspicious.

The thing about the Irish crowd is they buy SO much booze at the show because the queues are so long and we're massive alcoholics. Normally I have 3 beers coming to me which is high risk in that situation. I was talking to some lads who had like 50 euro of drinks that were destroyed. They didn't mind so much, but they'd probably have liked to keep the beer on balance.

Yeah I saw he was at the first show, and is wrestling now. I think he's going to turn some heads. He and LJ are probably the standout irish talents, LJ more for talking. He cut a great promo on the last arena show, calling Trent Seven 'Tyler Bate's fat da' which was an experience. Scotty can't talk so well, but I'd hope his work would get him called all over. I'll be interested see Frontline. Ospreay is a nice lad who doesn't think things through, as far as I can see.

No idea about Devlin. He carried the promotion for the last year, did not see this coming at all. The heavy betting (were anyone betting) was that David Starr was going to throw in the towel on the match, when Devlin was still competing in the match, to stop Devlin beating Walter, because Starr can't beat Walter. Or that Maxer would get involved somehow, and help Jordan to win. It was a complete shock to everyone. The clean win was incredible considering Jordan hasn't been pinned or submitted in like 18 months, apart from against Walter 2 months ago in a tag match.

Like it was fairly explicitly based around the Rocky IV plot except Drago beats the poo poo out of Rocky at the end. I would *think* that Devlin will come back, as we don't really have a challenger who is seen as at Devlin's level. But he's out of the next show anyway, maybe to allow time for the NXTUK tapings. I suppose Haskins can jump in to challenge as a former champion with a money in the bank contract, but Devlin feels like the only one built to that level.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah, there was a guy who took the seat next to me after everyone got up and went back to different seats and he kept repeating over and over that there was no way Jordan was losing and actually left as soon as WALTER won. I was especially surprised considering Ishii beat WALTER at RevPro which felt so much like a weird reversal of the direction they were going in (WALTER/Suzuki) that I thought maybe WALTER was going to NXT.

(Speaking of Rocky IV, I loved that someone was using Hearts on Fire as an entrance theme)

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Yeah, there was a guy who took the seat next to me after everyone got up and went back to different seats and he kept repeating over and over that there was no way Jordan was losing and actually left as soon as WALTER won. I was especially surprised considering Ishii beat WALTER at RevPro which felt so much like a weird reversal of the direction they were going in (WALTER/Suzuki) that I thought maybe WALTER was going to NXT.

(Speaking of Rocky IV, I loved that someone was using Hearts on Fire as an entrance theme)

That's great. I was pretty much 100% Jordan to retain, I thought Walter was in for 3 shows and done, and when they flashed up the poster for the next show, with the two versions depending on who won, I was like 'COME ON MAN, EVERYONE KNOWS JORDAN WILL WIN'

I think actually Sunday's show suffered because I was hungover as hell, but also they had to change the women's match to take account of Toni Storm not being there. The dynamic was changed and it slashed the experience levels. A lot of the women are game but having Toni in there would have made sure they had someone to learn with.

A lot of face/face matches on contenders, like Darren Kearney/Terry Thatcher or May/Maxer, or Juice/Scotty. It makes it hard for them to get fans chanting.

Michael May, yeah. He's good, but the chorus on that kicks in too late. I think he needs to change something about it.

What did you think of Club Tropicana actually? They're one of the teams that came up from Contenders and are massively pathetic. Normally they come out to a Rick James song about loving, so Africa was a complete surprise.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I found the Tropicana shtick funny seeing it for the first time and the ten minute timer bet gimmick was fun. I loved Mark Davis being completely enamoured with them. (Aussie Open had a real breakout weekend also, they had a borderline MOTYC in RevPro and apparently had a banger with White Wolf guys on Sunday). The heel turn at the end was great too. I did expect Shakira when their manager said "let's hear it for Africa" though.

I thought the duelling JUICE/SCOTT-AY chants for the jab/kick exchange was fun for that match. I though Maxer/May was a really good match too fwiw.

Do you know what the deal with Toni is BTW? OTT denied it was the whole NXT UK talent can't work shows 7 days before a taping but then Devlin didn't wrestle that show either...

Were you the guy sitting next to the really enthusiastic guy who was dancing along to everything? I thought that was you based on your description in this thread but wasn't sure.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I found the Tropicana shtick funny seeing it for the first time and the ten minute timer bet gimmick was fun. I loved Mark Davis being completely enamoured with them. (Aussie Open had a real breakout weekend also, they had a borderline MOTYC in RevPro and apparently had a banger with White Wolf guys on Sunday). The heel turn at the end was great too. I did expect Shakira when their manager said "let's hear it for Africa" though.

I thought the duelling JUICE/SCOTT-AY chants for the jab/kick exchange was fun for that match. I though Maxer/May was a really good match too fwiw.

Do you know what the deal with Toni is BTW? OTT denied it was the whole NXT UK talent can't work shows 7 days before a taping but then Devlin didn't wrestle that show either...

Were you the guy sitting next to the really enthusiastic guy who was dancing along to everything? I thought that was you based on your description in this thread but wasn't sure.

White Wolf are great, really good babyface fire. I kind of thought Aussie Open would work more heel, but Mark Davis just seems such a loveable puppy. They've had great matches before, but this was their first big match in OTT. Like they've done Contenders before as the main event, and opened in the Tivoli, but this was their first high profile match in al arger venue.

I heard she got injured, Amy got the call at 2am the night before that they needed her, but the injury is just hearsay.

Yeah that was me. I was a lot more active the previous night but I've been out the last few nights and it's been catching up.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

frankenfreak posted:

I don't really care about Absolute Andy, but his promo on ZSJ on Shotgun had me laughing like an idiot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBBluPeP26M

I'm not happy about Andy as champ but his promos are always hilarious.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I'm not happy about Andy as champ but his promos are always hilarious.

I was there when he won 16 Carat, and it seemed a really odd choice. he's like a dad or something. A prick dad, but a dad.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwVIht8sMFg

The promo video for the last two OTT shows. It's something else.

The stadium show (Oct 13) coming up has Los Ingobernables de Japon (Naito, EVIL, Sanada, BUSHI), Flamita, Bandido, Ospreay, WALTER, Strickland. So they'll probably be around Europe then.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hey, I spotted myself in that video.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Hey, I spotted myself in that video.

Where were you sitting actually, did you get front/second?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Von Linus posted:

Where were you sitting actually, did you get front/second?

Second row on the side of the ring where the bar was.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Tickets for the new OTT show on oct 13 are up, 2300 capacity, 70 euro for the first 3 rows, 35 behind that, 30 for unassigned stalls. That's a large piece of change.

They're bringing Naito and LIJ, Flamita, Bandido, WALTER, Ospreay, Strickland over. It should be pretty pretty good. I thinkit's a big risk for them. The Elite was a massive fast sellout, I dunno how fast these will go. They're big names but I dunno how big los ingobernables really are in Europe, what kind of penetration they have.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
They'll go fast. Especially after Wrestlerama's quality. I don't mind paying as they clearly constantly reinvest in the company especially on the production end. The promoter isn't just pocketing the cash.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Von Linus posted:

Tickets for the new OTT show on oct 13 are up, 2300 capacity, 70 euro for the first 3 rows, 35 behind that, 30 for unassigned stalls. That's a large piece of change.

They're bringing Naito and LIJ, Flamita, Bandido, WALTER, Ospreay, Strickland over. It should be pretty pretty good. I thinkit's a big risk for them. The Elite was a massive fast sellout, I dunno how fast these will go. They're big names but I dunno how big los ingobernables really are in Europe, what kind of penetration they have.

LIJ are big. Not as much penetration as Bullet Club, obviously, but if you go to a non-WWE main roster show, there's gonna be about 1:2 ratio of people wearing LIJ gear to BC stuff.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/the_watw/status/1036535560364609536

Can't imagine they'll let it sink much lower without at least considering pulling the plug

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is 400k bad for the market there?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

is 400k bad for the market there?

Harry Potter afterwards got 2.75 million, so it's really bad. I can't see it being kept unless it's either dirt cheap or something happens to cause an uptick.

hardcoremark
May 6, 2009
They've already moved the timeslot, which is never a good sign. Strongly doubt there will be a second series unless the live tour does well and ITV get a cut of it.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
https://twitter.com/OTT_wrestling/status/1044637035926114305?s=19

OTT have put up the Devlin Walter match, which is phenomenal across the board. Commentary, heat, match.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So it looks like wXw is completely gone from Powerbomb.tv now? That's a bummer, but I guess explains why the Shotgun shows were so far out of date. I guess maybe they figured they were better off using their own service instead?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheIndyCorner/status/1045597761117331456

Advertised card:
Rampage defending WOS title vs Justin Sysum
Iestyn Rees and Kip Sabian defending tag titles vs Grado and British Bulldog Jr

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Would it be considered bad form to promote local federations in this thread? Mine is having its 20th anniversary show next month, which is pretty impressive.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Can someone who follows ICW explain the "Jackie Polo comes out of retirement and winds the world title with a headlock and tries to cripple his opponent afterwards" angle to me? I feel I have little to no background here other than he has a longstanding feud with Lionheart and apparently used to tag with the guy he tried to cripple.

Sourpuss
Mar 18, 2007

Chomb Chomb Chomb
Just got in from Hello Wembley. Outstanding night, best wrestling show I've been too.
Overran by 30 minutes which has got some stink on social media because some people had to leave during the main event for trains.

Well worth a watch, sadly it was also the last match for Doug Williams who retired at the show.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jimsmallman/status/1046692704657317888

lol nice

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/IPWUK/status/1047168602607169539

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Stoked that the Anti-Fun Police are getting top billing. Hopefully they'll tape some women's matches, unlike the RevPro show.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Von Linus posted:

https://twitter.com/OTT_wrestling/status/1044637035926114305?s=19

OTT have put up the Devlin Walter match, which is phenomenal across the board. Commentary, heat, match.

Meltzer's write up on the match:

quote:

I saw the OTT Jordan Devlin title loss to Walter that people were raving about as a potential match of the year. The big positive is the crowd was awesome. Right now, the two places I’d love to see wrestling live at are Dublin for OTT and Arena Mexico, because they have the great unique atmospheres like PWG but very different in other ways. The announcers, while very homerish and cheerleading for Devlin, were effective as hell in making Devlin your guy and Walter as this huge invading monster, very much like a well done and better version of the type of atmosphere they tried to create in the 70s. As far as the match, it was great. It was Walter as a Vader like bully, very different from Vader in that it’s more wrestling and hard chopping than running people over like Vader did, but the same type of big guy vs. smaller babyface guy emotion which is just classic pro wrestling. Devlin was a great babyface in the setting. The work reminded me of a Walter PWG match, no better and probably not at the level of Walter vs. Sabre, but the crowd helped it and I’d go ****½. The one thing to me is that Walter because he’s such a hard hitter, and hard hitting matches lose more not being there in the building than heavy pantomime matches or moves matches, that his matches are always a step better live than watching on tape. And I guess that says something about how good this match must have been live if it was this good watching the video.

Subscribe to the Wrestling Observer here: https://account.f4wonline.com/member

rovert fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 5, 2018

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1048558556528689157

https://twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1048544682240880650

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/OTT_wrestling/status/1051022741883809792?s=19

Goddam I thought the OTT show I went to had a good card but this is insane

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I love how KUSHIDA v Ishii is buried in there as just another match.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

on my way there.

last time Suzuki was here i gave him some money for Takayama's fundraiser and he posted about it a couple of times and reposted it on his ig again just before flying over. when i saw him in manchester 2016 he took a pic with me on his own phone when he saw my suzuki-gun shirt. he is strong and he is my friend.

anyway as glad as i am to be on his good side, last OTT show i had paid for the photo op w/ Ishii, my favourite wrestler. right after meeting Suzuki I blanked out and started walking out before being reminded & directed by a staffer to meet Ishii. couldn't tell if he was death-staring me or not since that's how he always looks, but i felt like a huge dumbass.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Did you enjoy it? I got hit with the cream pie, which was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

i enjoyed it but can feel others around me enjoying it more, just not in a big wrestling mood last couple of years but will still continue to go to as long as NJPW guys are coming over.

the show schedule is kind of bad coming from the north because the bus back runs at 11.30 and then 1.30 so it's either skip the main event and get home at a decent time or stay and have to waste 2 hr. I skipped ZSJ vs. Devlin last time and still missed it, and wasn't really paying attention to Ospreay vs. Walter deciding whether to stay or go.

Ishii & Kushida had some uncharacteristic slip-ups which doesn't bother me much it was just surprising that it was the best 2 on the card.