Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A shame Whiplash is retiring soon to run his wrestling school full-time, I think a U.S. promotion could use him in a multitude of roles, ICW tends to use him as a starmaker. He's even nicknamed "The Necromancer" which is a double reference because his gimmick is horror based but's pointed out that feuding with him tends to bring people's careers back from the dead.

Aw man, that's a bummer. One of the first things that really got me into the British style of wrestling was the three match series he had with Jack Gallagher in ICW. Before that I had only seen Whiplash in hardcore or multi-man matches, so seeing him bust out all this counter-for-counter technical wrestling was pretty amazing.

Also very glad that this thread exists now because BritWres is pretty much the only stuff I follow on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The storylines of 2015-2016 PROGRESS basically got me into British wrestling, so it breaks my heart to see their current drifting state. The booking is meandering in a way that it didn't used to be and I don't know if that's because of their split loyalties or becoming a victim of their own success.

That and they need to get the belt off Travis, like, YESTERDAY. I loved him as an underdog, but his title reign has straight up killed their main event scene.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yeah, the last two 16 Carats have been really good, especially if you want to watch the rise of Ilja Dragunov.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Now's a good time to jump in if you want to keep up with what's going on without having to play catch up because they just had their first Shotgun episode of the season after the summer break.

Do you know if they're going to be putting Shotgun episodes up on Highspots again? I'd like to keep up with them on a regular basis, but the wXwNow interface on Roku is legitimately terrible.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Dangerous Person posted:

Just got back from Progress Philly. Show was amazing, legit thought somebody died at the end of the main event for a second

All this and Jimmy Lloyd getting in a fistfight with DJ Hyde in the lobby and having to be pulled apart by security!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

coconono posted:

For an angle or legit?

Who loving knows? The guards that pulled Lloyd out were 2300 employees, so at least that part wasn't a work.

EDIT: Blergh.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I did not consent to being part of a CZW storyline, what the hell guys.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

OGB posted:

Lykos broke his collarbone.

I'm beginning to think that boy is straight up cursed.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

OGB posted:

Signed up for Demand Progress. Any show recommendations?

If you want to start with watching the modern PROGRESS era, Chapter 39 is a good jumping-off point. It's the show immediately post-Haskins relinquishing the belt due to injury and it's where Dunne and British Strong Style really come into their own as main eventers.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Stoked that the Anti-Fun Police are getting top billing. Hopefully they'll tape some women's matches, unlike the RevPro show.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

gently caress.

https://twitter.com/OBEYBrookes/status/1060986203388948480

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Chuck Mambo cut his hair and this makes me very upset.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Please tell me his theme or finish is Mambo #5

It is neither! He's one of the first ProJo (now Knucklelocks Gym) graduates and is a lovely golden retriever of a man. Like, he comes out to third wave ska and at one point had a time traveling surfboard?

PROGRESS are trying to turn him heel with this new stable of underused talent and I imagine the haircut was part of that.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This year's Super Strong Style 16 has more current WWE wrestlers than British ones and that makes me profoundly sad.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Christ, he was, what? Twenty? Twenty one years old?

I'm incredibly lucky that I got to see them win the PROGRESS tag titles at two different shows and you could feel how universally beloved CCK were.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I'd be STUNNED if he passed a WWE physical.

I think he actually might have when he worked those Axxess shows a year back.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

So who all is running PROGRESS at the moment if Jim is stepping away and Jon and Glen are also working for NXT UK?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

the escape goat posted:

so it looks like Schadenfreude/CCK are starting their own promotion? I thought Brookes started Attack! wrestling himself as-is?

Brookes took over booking from Andrews and Dunne last year, I think? I know the Defend Indy Wrestling boys started Attack.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I have no idea what this means, but I am intrigued.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Holy poo poo it is amazing seeing a PROGRESS crowd cheering for Chris Roberts.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I was reminiscing about early PROGRESS recently and man, I miss Pollyanna and I'm still so sad that she got done dirty by BritWres as a whole.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yesssss I can’t wait to see that Big Swole/Chakara match. From what people were saying about it after the show, it was a career-making performance from Chakara, who I’ve always loved.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

ICW lost too many of its interesting wrestlers and replaced them with the blandest of bland trainees. I don't even think I could tell you who's still there that I still care about. Maybe BT Gunn? They don't even have a roster page anymore.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I didn't see the stream but I think it was something to the effect of wanting to wrestle Cara Noir one more time before leaving for Japan, but that relations between him and PROGRESS aren't great right now.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Raffles posted:

I used to go Progress shows fairly regularly a few years ago, but then moved away from London and pretty much stopped following them. I’m back now and I remember tickets for Camden shows used to sell out instantly, but I’ve just checked for their show this weekend and I can still get silver tickets. Is this the norm now? Does no fucker go anymore?

I think it's more that the die-hards who would usually sell out the Ballroom got jaded with both the quality of the storytelling and the increased closeness with WWE. You can't rekindle that enthusiasm.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This loving suuuuuuucks.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Lamuella posted:

If anyone's interested, Charles Crowley just dropped a half hour cinematic wrestling event called "You Are Cordially Invited" featuring a selection of the funnier more esoteric parts of the BritWres scene (Session Moth, Mad Kurt, Cara Noir, Kanji, Big T, Kid Lykos II, Candy Floss, Gene Munny, etc). It's very well produced, actually funny, and has a really good third act twist along with a special guest after the credits. If you like cinematic matches, it's pretty great.

https://youtu.be/M_m1TAgds9A

https://www.youarecordiallyinvited.co.uk/

After a particularly miserable year for BritWres, this was a really nice way to showcase a lot of the next generation.

Dan Moloney Dominatoring Mad Kurt to death was really cathartic

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Also Paul Robinson is apparently agenting the show despite being named in SpeakingOut. gently caress these people.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

BTF posted:

The first round of the tournament was nothing special, no one really stood out like some of the top prospects in previous iterations. The #1 contender's four way was fun for what it was, Lykos' return was pretty good and the main event with Cara Noir and Dan Moloney was borderline great. It's just... with the WWE connection there really is nothing I'm excited about looking forward.

This is where I'm at too. I will be super excited to see Riptide's first show post-COVID, probably featuring a lot of these same talents, but I've just soured on PROGRESS so thoroughly. I don't begrudge anyone on these shows from getting a payday but their management is 100% toxic.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I hope it isn’t either, but I’m kind of glad they did this. A lot of their narrative and title history is intertwined with SpeakingOut so a fresh reboot when it’s safe would be for the best.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1365011681407950848

Also PROGRESS put out another statement. It is just as bad. They really need to be paying someone to do their socials.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Just look at the Progress shows on the network. It’s like six people who had any name before SpeakingOut happened and then a dozen indistinguishable white dudes. And that’s with the money and regular schedule that a weird taped WWE D show offers.

At this point all I want is for Chuck Mambo to be happy.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Queer Salutations posted:

.. I assume the most bland wrestler in BritWres, Chris Ridgeway, is fine since I saw Lariato tweet about him. Did Trivet and Mambo end up being cool? Or did I just miss those accusations. I remember TK Cooper took responsibility for not stopping toxic locker room culture but nothing beyond that.

Nope, nothing about Trivet or Mambo.

I think something good could be done with the remnants of BritWres, but Progress seems to be the only company who’s paying right now since they’re doing warehouse shows for no one.

I just want Riptide back :(

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

He was just on a recent Progress show, I think.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DannyBlack_99/status/1407040570640449536

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

So much of BritWres was built on bending over backwards for Ospreay no matter who else it hurt that it’s very cathartic hearing a hundred people not giving him anything.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I think dude is enough of an attraction now to potentially get people watching wXw.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Uggggh I thought they hadn't gone the PROGRESS route since I hadn't seen a Shotgun equivalent advertised on Peacock. That's disappointing.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://mobile.twitter.com/WrestleCarnival/status/1433821954503548942

HOLY poo poo CHARLIE MORGAN IS BACK

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://progresswrestling.myshopify.com/blogs/news/progress-wrestling-returns-in-2022-with-new-ownership

God I hope this means they’re out from under the WWE umbrella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Lamuella posted:

Wonder who they'll put against Gresham when he comes over. Chris Ridgeway would be fun.

Ridgeway's wrestling Cara Noir for the title in a 2-out-of-3 falls match, but Wrestle Carnival did Gresham/Ridgeway earlier this year.