Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Oh, good. Well, here’s something of an effortpost on my local promotion, Edinburgh’s finest:

Discovery Wrestling

If ICW is Scotland’s ECW, Discovery Wrestling is the closest thing we have to NXT. Based around Edinburgh, Disco Wrestling hosts some of the finest indie talent in the UK and beyond every month or so, and their shows are generally really drat good. Their current Y Division Champion is Joe Coffey, one of the finest big men in the country, who’s best known for his recent performance in the WWE UK tournament. Their current Women’s Champion is Sammii Jayne, however she’s unfortunately been injured recently, and she might have to vacate the title at the next show, which is a bit of a bummer. Disco has a weekly free show on Fite TV where they broadcast some of their best matches from the past three years, and it can be found here. Pretty sure they broadcast their live shows through their website as well, but idk how much that costs.

Regular roster includes:

Joe Coffey, Lewis Girvan, Aspen Faith, Joe Hendry, BT Gunn, Chris Ridgeway, Andy Wild, Lou King Sharp, Kasey Owens, Michael Chase, Christopher Saynt, Theo Doros, Jayla Dark, Turbo Josh Terry, Dave Conrad, Deviation, Sammii Jayne, Session Moth Martina, Jackie Polo, Mark Coffey, Gene Munny, Uncle Bobby, Bonesaw, Damien Corvin, Kid Fite, Krieger, and a few more that I’ve probably forgotten.

Disco is in a good position in Scottish wrestling, anyway.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Von Linus posted:

Is there anything uniquely scottish about Discovery? I mean you have the Scottish roster, but my promotion, at the start, they show the Irish flag and play the national anthem. It's very hokey, and the kind of thing that used to happen at the end of the night in the local pub or disco to let you know that the bar was closed. It kicks things off well.

Huh, not particularly. Honestly, I’m not sure if something like that would be interpreted as a statement of support for Scottish nationalism or w/e, especially since it’s supposed to be a family show without political divisions and all that. I mean, that’d be cool, and I’ll shoot them a message about that, but idk if they’d go for it.

Von Linus posted:

We've not had Cara Noir, Gene Munny, and a few others. Who are the standouts from Discovery?

Lewis Girvan and Aspen Faith most definitely. The Kings of Catch are quite possibly the best tag team in Scotland, though they’ve got some serious competition by the New Age Kliq (BT Gunn and Chris Renfrew) and Polo Promotions (Jackie Polo and Mark Coffey), among others. Girvan, Faith, Gunn and Renfrew are all accomplished singles wrestlers in their own right, and they always put on great matches in any case.

Also, the House of Saynt is this stable of beautiful gay heels led by Christopher Saynt, and their modus operandi is basically ‘look pretty, cheat often, beat the poo poo out of the faces’. They haven’t had any title success in recent years, but they were able to dominate Michael Chase in their feud due to their sheer numbers, and Saynt is itching to get his hands on Coffey’s title very soon indeed.

Michael Chase is also a decent enough big guy who hasn’t been booked as well as the others, but he has a lot of potential and he’d do well on a major stage. Maybe WoS, I dunno.

Gene Munny and Uncle Bobby are mainly part of a comedy heel stable called the Buffet Club, but they won the Hotter Than Hell Tag Team Tournament last year, so they do have a bit of credibility.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Sourpuss posted:

Ive also been to Fear & Loathing for the last 3 years, which is ICWs headline show of the year, but every year the storylines and booking seem to be getting worse.

Aye, I went to Fear and Loathing IX, and iirc the best parts were:

-Doing the draculahands with Finn
-Shouting ‘you suck’ at Kurt Angle
-The elimination match, which I actually loved to pieces
-Seeing Ricochet doing that spot into the crowd holy poo poo I love Ricochet so much and I wish he hadn’t lost

The worst parts, in contrast:

-The casket rape spot holy loving poo poo that was creepy af and put me off ICW so much after that
-Trent Seven being a loving idiot and putting Wolfgang through a table instead of winning the belt
-Kurt Angle being in the main event and making me miss the last train back to Stirling for a crap match with one of the best wrestlers in Scotland

Couldn’t be hosed coughing up for last year’s Hydro show, but as you say the storylines keep getting worse and more gross tbh

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean they peaked with the first Hydro show, they got me out there with the promise of doing draculahands with Finn Bálor, seeing Ricochet in person and chanting ‘you suck’ at Kurt Angle

did all of those things, but apart from two standout matches, it really wasn’t that great

e: how the gently caress did they think Lionheart vs. Jackie Polo would be a draw

also, wow! An American finally went over in the Hydro! This is gonna mean great things for *checks notes* James Storm

Venomous fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 3, 2018

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Von Linus posted:

Yeah I watched that first show ondemand. The best part was when the two lads in the casket match fought into the casket and the crowd started chanting 'Shagging' at them.

tbh I thought that was loving disgusting and it put me off ever going back to an ICW show so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

rovert posted:

OTT's promoter Joe Coffey

Seriously? Has he ever, like, booked himself into a segment with the wrestler Joe Coffey?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/discowrestling/status/1129425279561211904?s=21

God loving damnit :( Joe Coffey is my favourite Scottish wrestler, and I very much wanted him to lose the title that night. gently caress the Big Trump Fundraiser.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The only thing they had wrong is that Progress isn't an indie

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

does it seem like to you locals that britwres is kinda starting to come back?

I mean Discovery's still good afaik, especially since they've just jettisoned their last Big Trump Fundraiser holdover (former Y Division champion Joe Coffey, who did a clean job to local hero/ROH star Joe Hendry last Sunday + probably won't be coming back), but whether that means British wrestling (or hell, even Scottish wrestling) is coming back in style...eh, idk about that.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

just realised that the only way BritWres can truly become culturally relevant again is if a wrestler debuts as a hybrid between a human and a sentient piece of Monster Munch

Pickled Onion, of course

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Margaret Thatcher didn't just kill the working class, she also set back the British wrestling industry for a generation in the process

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

this just popped up on my Twitter feed

https://twitter.com/RatherBeDean/status/1208677704570228736?s=19

and lmaoooo the spin

just to be clear, ICW is a WWE satellite like Evolve and Progress and the idea that ICW will cast off its irons and become the biggest indie promotion in Europe in TYOOL 2020 is loving laughable

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

can't remember where the BritWres thread is, so I'm going to post this in here and pretend that it's about a European promotion

RevPro taped a show two weeks ago, and in spite of Andy Quildan making a huge fuss about #SpeakingOut on a 4.5 hour podcast, he nevertheless booked Ospreay for a match https://twitter.com/RevProUK/status/1292896231681937411?s=19

wrestling sucks

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

britwres is dead? put a stake through its heart and garlic round its neck to make sure it never comes back

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

it is looking more and more likely that the Fed is going to release WALTER soon, seeing as he isn't booked for NXT, he wasn't on Raw, and he definitely won't be on Smackdown

in this case, he needs to immediately go back to RevPro and go over Ospreay

e: vv oh goddamnit vv

Venomous fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 24, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ideally WALTER would do a Cody and start the European equivalent of AEW, maybe based in Germany, but Tony Khan's probably the only capitalist who understands wrestling enough to bankroll a major wrestling company, so that's not happening any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

reckon NJPW will let Will job while they're running the fake champ angle?

only to Kenny Omega

so no