Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

South China Sea

China is 33rd in the world in terms of EEZ area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

old.flv posted:

I'm not so sure about that but it doesn't make me feel better

what

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Obama was a bad president.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Obama's failed leadership of the Democratic party led directly to Trump being elected, so if you're anxious about the Trump administration then thank Obama.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

China is 33rd in the world in terms of EEZ area.
Irrelevant, it still has zero ground to steal other countries rightful resources.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You wouldn't for one second accept an excuse for American imperialism on the grounds that They Want That Stuff, you're a hypocrite if you accept it for China

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

old.flv posted:

Appeasing his necessary base will probably affect trans rights and roe vs wade which I personally don't wish to be apathetic to

You realise the majority of the planet is more concerned with the president's foreign policy than the domestic one right

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

thomas frank on major things obama could do unilaterally without congress as a retort to the apologetics* of obama couldn't do anything because of a republican congress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TnS_P4JGDc&t=1501s

note that some of these things that obama could've done unilaterally were things obama promised on the campaign trail that he later betrayed

*an argument which requires willfully ignoring the composition of the 2009-2010 congress and the reasons why the congress flipped republican due to the failures of this congress

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

thomas frank earlier in the video also elaborated on obama's unilateral failure in bending over backwards for wall st
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TnS_P4JGDc&t=939s

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

he lost his only comfortable pair of shoes and couldn't go to the picket line

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

old.flv posted:

there are great reasons to be disappointed by obama but y'all are upset the guy wasn't a magician

lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

You wouldn't for one second accept an excuse for American imperialism on the grounds that They Want That Stuff, you're a hypocrite if you accept it for China

I don't accept it as evidence that China will be worse.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

saw this and reminded me of people itt suggesting american imperialism is the best of all possible worlds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2dRLHq3D8

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Look, Obama couldn't just ~magic~ up a way to charge the bankers with financial crimes!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Obama didn't wave his magic wand and not assassinate American citizens.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

old.flv posted:

there are great reasons to be disappointed by obama but y'all are upset the guy wasn't a magician

He is a magician though

He made that wedding disappear

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

habeas corpus disappearo

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

rudatron posted:

Death to America, you loving moron

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He is a magician though

and the funeral that followed it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

arms saleus saudi arabio

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
America built a naval base in my country that took us the better part of a century to kick them out of, and only after three different Presidents had propped up a right-wing dictatorship under the guise of "anti-communism". They've had "advisors" operating in Mindanao since W kicked off the Global War on Terror, and now Trump wants to have a Free Trade Agreement with the Philippines.

China would be worse because they've taken over a couple of rocks in the SCS? loving please. Wake me up when they've started strip mining in our backyard, and even then that'd still only just make them as bad as the United States of "kill every Filipino male over 10" America.

alsothere
Oct 14, 2014
Taco Defender

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He is a magician though

:rimshot:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's also crazy that the biggest oceanic empire is still France.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

traditional american waters encompass the entire globe, we're simply upholding our 15000 year history

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

cooling tensions with nk is completely undone by tearing up the iran deal

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Trump's only real goal is being the complete opposite of Obama, so somebody should tell him Obama was a bad president

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

babypolis posted:

true

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/dcwoodruff/status/1024695933307576320

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

babypolis posted:

to be fair, democrats almost unanimously voted for sanctions for iran as soon as obama was out of office

obama can get credit for doing some good on foreign policy w/ the iran deal though and trump gets to have a demerit on this

obama is still overall worse on foreign policy than trump in terms of actually starting new american wars or coups

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't accept it as evidence that China will be worse.
It demonstrates that China is just as cavalier about sovereignty as America is, and the only difference between them is capability, not intent.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

to be fair, democrats almost unanimously voted for sanctions for iran as soon as obama was out of office

obama can get credit for doing some good on foreign policy w/ the iran deal though and trump gets to have a demerit on this

obama is still overall worse on foreign policy than trump in terms of actually starting new american wars or coups

hes not even halfway tru his first term give the man time

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

It demonstrates that China is just as cavalier about sovereignty as America is, and the only difference between them is capability, not intent.

so, all abord the china train? nihao

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

rudatron posted:

omg shut the gently caress up

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
The best part about Trump's N. Korea "I guess we'll call it a policy" is that all it is is a delaying tactic by N. Korea to bring their long-range missiles online, at which point any leverage the US has will completely evaporate. Can't wait to see Smooth Brain's reaction to that. "Oh you mean my deal that stipulated pretty much nothing didn't work?" Meanwhile, the US's word isn't worth a cold poo poo in Iran. It turns out it's much easier to simply tear up deals and policies advanced by your predecessor than actually make new ones. Trump's foreign policy may not the be the cynical do nothing approach of Obama, but it's a much bigger disaster in the long term as the US's word and commitments become worthless world wide. I actually support talking to N. Korea, and I have no problem with Trump doing it. But it's not some amazing diplomacy.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 01:42 on Aug 2, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

babypolis posted:

hes not even halfway tru his first term give the man time
apropos for the thread, i am compelled to remind everyone that obama already [probably] couped honduras by this point in trump's term lol

to be fair trump was asking out loud to advisors and south american leaders if they wanted the US to invade venezuela, but i'm not sure if i can file this type of gross incompetence solely under the demerit column

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Love Rat posted:

The best part about Trump's N. Korea "I guess we'll call it a policy" is that all it is is a delaying tactic by N. Korea to bring their long-range missiles online, at which point any leverage the US has will completely evaporate. Can't wait to see Smooth Brain's reaction to that. "Oh you mean my deal that stipulated pretty much nothing didn't work?" Meanwhile, the US's word isn't worth a cold poo poo in Iran. It turns out it's much easier to simply tear up deals and policies advanced by your predecessor than actually make new ones. Trump's foreign policy may not the be the cynical do nothing approach of Obama, but it's a much bigger disaster in the long term as the US's word and commitments become worthless world wide. I actually support talking to N. Korea, and I have no problem with Trump doing it. But it's not some amazing diplomacy.
it's amazing diplomacy in the context of the entire history of us foreign policy including the last two presidential administrations

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

apropos for the thread, i am compelled to remind everyone that obama already [probably] couped honduras by this point in trump's term lol

to be fair trump was asking out loud to advisors and south american leaders if they wanted the US to invade venezuela, but i'm not sure if i can file this type of gross incompetence solely under the demerit column

the trump administration is supporting a coup in Nicaragua right now.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it’s amazing because Teump is too stupid to know he’s not supposed to talk to North Korea or give them concessions under any circumstances

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

obama was a bad president

obama is a bad post-president

know what let’s just rename the thread obama bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i loving hate obama for completely different reasons than the right hates him

• Locked thread