Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

So pretty much any list ever does ties this way:

1st place - Person A - 25 points
2nd place (TIE) - Person B - 20 points
2nd place (TIE) - Person B - 20 points
4th place - Person C - 15 points

Doing it this way would make the list cut off after Rizzo. Yes, doing it your way includes more players, but doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of a Top 25 list? Like, yaaay, Wilson Ramos made the top 25 by being tied for 49th!

As you said, literally every single person who received a "I don't like this guy" vote made the list. What's even the point?

They're good dogs brent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

I totally agree. Next time it'll be a top 10. I figured it'd stay a top 25 because that's what it's always been, but if fewer people are going to vote, then it's going to make less sense to include more players.

I don't think 25 is absurd, just that you're counting the top 25 point totals instead of the top 25 players. If there's a ten-person race, and 9 of the runners cross the line at the exact same time, you don't give the last guy a silver medal, you know?

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

I don't think 25 is absurd, just that you're counting the top 25 point totals instead of the top 25 players. If there's a ten-person race, and 9 of the runners cross the line at the exact same time, you don't give the last guy a silver medal, you know?

Yeah, it's not the number of places, it's that you didn't understand finishing hierarchy. Ties for the same place push the next spot lower so you still have 25 winners total regardless of rank. Even if 5 end up in second place, the next available place is 7th; not 3rd. Following that rule, your lists are:

Most Loved posted:

1. Javier Báez
2. Joey Votto
3. José Altuve
4. Francisco Lindor
5. Ichiro Suzuki
6. Mike Trout
7t. Carl Edwards Jr., Willson Contreras
9. Marcus Stroman
10t. Kyle Hendricks, José Bautista, Kris Bryant
13t. Jacob deGrom, Adrián Beltré
15. Bartolo Colón
16. Carlos Martínez
17. Salvador Pérez
18t. Aaron Judge, Freddie Freeman
20t. Josh Donaldson, Dexter Fowler
22t. Kyle Schwarber, Yadier Molina
24t. Max Scherzer, Anthony Rizzo
18. Kevin Pillar
19. Mookie Betts
20. Carlos Gómez, Alex Bregman
21. Curtis Granderson, Yolmer Sánchez, Andrew McCutchen
22. James Paxton, Paul Goldschmidt, Noah Syndergaard
23. Wilmer Flores, Enrique Hernández, Sean Doolittle, Shohei Ohtani, Archie Bradley, Jason Heyward, Ozzie Albies, Trea Turner, Brent Suter, Evan Gattis
24. Blake Snell, John Axford, Justin Verlander, Albert Pujols
25. Matt Chapman, Wilson Ramos, Yangervis Solarte, Stephen Piscotty, Brandon Nimmo, Adam Wainwright, Jesús Aguilar, José Ramírez

Most Hated posted:

1. Aroldis Chapman
2. Ryan Braun
3. José Reyes
4. Trevor Bauer
5. Josh Hader
6. Rougned Odor
7. Bud Norris
8. Chase Utley
9. Yadier Molina
10. Matt Bush
11t. Hunter Strickland, Daniel Murphy
13. Jeurys Familia
14t. Bryce Harper, Jake Arrieta
16t. Brian McCann, Ken Giles
18. Roberto Osuna
19. Tyler Clippard
20. Javier Báez
21. Dustin Pedroia
22t. Brandon Nimmo, Aaron Judge, Johnny Cueto
25t. Tim Beckham, Yuli Gurriel, Craig Kimbrel, Eric Hosmer, Mike Fiers
21. Miguel Cabrera, Mike Moustakas, Dallas Keuchel
22. Shin-Soo Choo, Logan Morrison, Matt Kemp
23. Julio Teherán, Jon Lester, Justin Verlander, Manny Machado
24. Christian Vásquez, Luke Gregerson, Pablo Sandoval, Andrew Benintendi, Noah Syndergaard, Cole Hamels, Fernando Rodney
25. Dansby Swanson, Chris Sale, Lucas Giolito, Justin Wilson, Tommy Pham, Justin Turner, Giancarlo Stanton, Brett Gardner

Doing it this way cuts down like a solid third of the candidates you have to go through and you don't have to reward people for coming in tied for 25th place when there's 48 players ahead of them, like ALFbrot said.

Not gonna lie though, I don't know how you treat ties for last if you only want 25 participants recognized.

3DHouseofBeef fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 13, 2018

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Yeah, I'm not sure why it only occurred to me to go by point values, probably because that was the way Xenophon did it. I think reducing the amount of places (maybe top 20?) and having ties push the next spot down would make a lot more sense.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

3DHouseofBeef posted:

Yeah, it's not the number of places, it's that you didn't understand finishing hierarchy. Ties for the same place push the next spot lower so you still have 25 winners total regardless of rank. Even if 5 end up in second place, the next available place is 7th; not 3rd. Following that rule, your lists are:

On the one hand, this makes perfect sense and is absolutely the way it should be done. On the other hand that means Pillar misses out and that is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Even keeping it at 25 but making it 25 actual players, not 25 top spots like recommended would have 57 people combined from the two lists this year (fifty seven!!!). That's less then half the work and would cut out some of the fringe "one person put a player as their number 5 so they get in" and make it so players need multiple votes to get in or at least be someone's actual favorite or near so. With already cutting more then half out, I worry some well loved players might miss out if it turns into a top 10, I'd keep it at 25 but definitely not less then 20.

3DHouseofBeef posted:

Not gonna lie though, I don't know how you treat ties for last if you only want 25 participants recognized.

I thought about this too, and I don't know. Doing a quick search just comes back with a bunch of programming stuff. My heart tells me "err on the side of generosity and throw the extras in".

• Locked thread