Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tom Gorman posted:

Reveal yourselves you cowards

It most certainly was not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It wasnt me but if i didnt put Bryce Harper in 1-10 i would have fit Baez somewhere

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jeff Samardzija should be arrested for the heinous crime of being a Notre Dame football player. I spent the entire 2016 season dreading a matchup with the Giants because my pre-world series cub-poisoned brain was sure that Samardzija would somehow CGSO the Cubs in a typical act of Cubbish vengeance. It turned out to be the only playoff baseball game I have ever been to was that game and not only did he give up 2 RBI to Kyle Hendricks he also gave up a dinger to a relief pitcher and it was glorious.

e: incredibly annoyed that i will know how to spell Samardzija without looking it up for the rest of my life while spending probably a total of 3.5 hours this year reentering my apartment because I forgot something on the way out.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 15, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I definitely felt Baez was overrated before this season and I might possibly have voted for him last year for that reason, I don't remember. I still feel like he's a bit overrated in that I don't see him putting up this season's production again but that's not enough to get him in my top 10, especially since there seem to be a lot more assholes in baseball recently.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I didn't vote this time, and looking at the results I really regret not getting my vote in now. I mean seriously, Kevin Pillar on the most loved list? Baez on the hated list?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

HOW loving DARE ANYBODY

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
People hate Javy because Cubs fans love Javy.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

People hate Javy because Cubs fans love Javy.

"They hate us for our freedom."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Sorry folks, I am extremely sick at the moment and don't have the energy to post.

If you're wondering why I didn't write some of these posts in advance, it's because it didn't occur to me. :shrug: :sigh:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

How dare you take a break from entertaining us for free

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Feel better!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
YTM to the DL (plague)

e: or it could be the dreaded Flu-Like Symptoms

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Holler if you want some guest writers

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
:siren: Correction time! :siren:

Brett Gardner was supposed to be #15 here, until I realized that I put someone's vote into my Excel spreadsheet incorrectly. His entry is now added to the #24 most hated post where it belongs.

#15 Most Hated - 10 points

Tyler Clippard
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Debut: May 20, 2007

What's to hate? Blew a three run save against the Manny Machado-less Baltimore Orioles. :colbert:

Current Rankings

quote:

15. Tyler Clippard
16. Javier Báez
17. Dustin Pedroia
18. Brandon Nimmo, Aaron Judge, Johnny Cueto
19. Tim Beckham, Yuli Gurriel, Craig Kimbrel, Eric Hosmer, Mike Fiers
20. Miguel Cabrera, Mike Moustakas, Dallas Keuchel
21. Shin-Soo Choo, Logan Morrison, Matt Kemp
22. Julio Teherán, Jon Lester, Justin Verlander, Manny Machado
23. Christian Vásquez, Luke Gregerson, Pablo Sandoval, Andrew Benintendi, Noah Syndergaard, Cole Hamels, Fernando Rodney
24. Dansby Swanson, Chris Sale, Lucas Giolito, Justin Wilson, Tommy Pham, Justin Turner, Giancarlo Stanton, Brett Gardner

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#15 Most Loved - 16 points

Josh Donaldson
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Debut: April 30, 2010

What's to love? He is talented and he's a Blue Jay, at least for now. Apparently the Yankees & Red Sox have been eyeballing him.

His 2018 has been a little rocky, and he's been sidelined since May with a calf injury (rehabbing now though, so yay for that). He has had a storied career though, winning a couple of Silver Sluggers here & there as well as 2015 AL MVP.

Dexter Fowler
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut: September 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am_sy4Kufh0

What's to love? Well, lots of things, as long as you're not John Mozeliak or the not-so-dearly departed Mike Matheny, who evidently spent MONTHS in 2018 not talking to Fowler despite the fact that he was the manager of the team that Fowler was on.

Dexter Fowler posted:

My effort has always been there. I think that's out of the question. These guys in here know. I'm getting text messages from everybody. That's [garbage]. At the end of the day, I'm playing as hard as I can.

https://twitter.com/FSMidwest/status/1022104185385508864

Fowler's first at-bat after Matheny's firing resulted in a home run, which was a statement in & of itself. Anyway, judging by the relative uneventfulness of his 2018, I assume that the majority of love for Dexter Fowler is residual Cubs love, which is also fine.

Current Rankings

quote:

15. Josh Donaldson, Dexter Fowler
16. Kyle Schwarber, Yadier Molina
17. Max Scherzer, Anthony Rizzo
18. Kevin Pillar
19. Mookie Betts
20. Carlos Gómez, Alex Bregman
21. Curtis Granderson, Yolmer Sánchez, Andrew McCutchen
22. James Paxton, Paul Goldschmidt, Noah Syndergaard
23. Wilmer Flores, Enrique Hernández, Sean Doolittle, Shohei Ohtani, Archie Bradley, Jason Heyward, Ozzie Albies, Trea Turner, Brent Suter, Evan Gattis
24. Blake Snell, John Axford, Justin Verlander, Albert Pujols
25. Matt Chapman, Wilson Ramos, Yangervis Solarte, Stephen Piscotty, Brandon Nimmo, Adam Wainwright, Jesús Aguilar, José Ramírez

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Dex is fun and nice, plus he spoke about the travel ban and caught poo poo for it from the BFiB crowd. I wish he were playing better but I really like him even when he’s not amazing on the field.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Tom Gorman posted:

Reveal yourselves you cowards

He's a showboat, y'all talk about him way too much, and I am a grumpy old white man at heart.

YeahTubaMike posted:

What's to hate? Blew a three run save against the Manny Machado-less Baltimore Orioles. :colbert:

Pretty sure that's exactly why I put him on my list.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is it showboating if you truly are that good?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Patrick Spens posted:

Pretty sure that's exactly why I put him on my list.

I literally quoted you. :) I couldn't figure out why anyone else would hate Tyler Clippard. The podcast whose heart logo I posted in my OP even exalts him in its theme song. He's great.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Dexter's game 7 home run was one of the coolest things ever and I'll always be a fan of his for that

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

I literally quoted you. :) I couldn't figure out why anyone else would hate Tyler Clippard. The podcast whose heart logo I posted in my OP even exalts him in its theme song. He's great.

I just realized that Clippard and Baez are ranked where they are because me and only me voted for both of them. Maybe you should just do the Top 10 Favourite/Least Favourite next year?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Here is a nice article about Josh Donaldson that will probably make you like him more. :shobon:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Patrick Spens posted:

I just realized that Clippard and Baez are ranked where they are because me and only me voted for both of them. Maybe you should just do the Top 10 Favourite/Least Favourite next year?

Yeah, I mean, I briefly toyed with the idea of just having a thread where we all just talk about our favorite/least favorite players and don't even really rank them.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I thought last year's 25 ballots were an all-time low, and I said I'd "step up my self-promotion game next year" but I failed you. Maybe next year we can just informally shoot the poo poo about our faves or something. :shrug:

That way, you won't be RELYING on me to post all the best GIFs and stuff, but rather, you'll have me there to post all the best GIFs amongst you all. Having a thread where we all just fawn over baseball players for our own various reasons seems like it would be fun as hell, which is not to say that I would abandon this thread in the meantime.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah, I mean, I briefly toyed with the idea of just having a thread where we all just talk about our favorite/least favorite players and don't even really rank them.

That way, you won't be RELYING on me to post all the best GIFs and stuff, but rather, you'll have me there to post all the best GIFs amongst you all. Having a thread where we all just fawn over baseball players for our own various reasons seems like it would be fun as hell, which is not to say that I would abandon this thread in the meantime.

No no it's the best! I know I'm not the only one to appreciate it! No one is mad about a delay or whatever, the outcome is most of the fun! Cut it down to a top 20 or 15 or whatever but for years now this is one of the threads I look forward to seeing every day and rush to see When I log on to SA. Thank you!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm glad you enjoy it, and I'm glad I could take over for the dearly departed Xenophon in a good way. :) . I enjoy doing it too, and then ending up with a trove of pictures/GIFs/videos on my computer (as well as knowledge about players I'd never heard of before *cough*JohnAxford*cough*) as a result.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Honestly, I’m sad about the lack of lobbying posts. Those are some of my favorite parts other than the reveals, if my effortpost about CarMart didn’t make it abundantly clear.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I think once the threads are top 20/15/10, then people will consider lobbying posts more essential. I mean, literally everyone who got a vote made it into the top 25 most hated, so like... :shrug:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Lengthening the Most Liked list could be a good idea, I could easily have voted for 20 guys instead of 10 and still have others left over.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Yeah, the amount of hate in people's hearts has dwindled quite a bit since 2016, it seems.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah, the amount of hate in people's hearts has dwindled quite a bit since 2016, it seems.

I think it's just shifted to other areas.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

I think it's just shifted to other areas.

1. Trump
2. Trump
3. Trump

Etc.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Yeah it's kinda hard to muster a bunch of animus at a dude for going to town on a gatorade cooler when so much worse is happening to actual sapient beings.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#14 Most Hated - 11 points

Roberto Osuna
Team: Toronto Blue Jays Houston Astros
Debut: April 8, 2015

What's to hate? He was arrested in Toronto for assaulting a woman and though it didn't prevent him from being traded to a team with an alleged zero-tolerance policy with regard to domestic violence, it did not prevent him from getting suspended for 75 games, nor did it prevent him from earning the #14 most hated status.

Current Rankings

quote:

14. Roberto Osuna
15. Tyler Clippard
16. Javier Báez
17. Dustin Pedroia
18. Brandon Nimmo, Aaron Judge, Johnny Cueto
19. Tim Beckham, Yuli Gurriel, Craig Kimbrel, Eric Hosmer, Mike Fiers
20. Miguel Cabrera, Mike Moustakas, Dallas Keuchel
21. Shin-Soo Choo, Logan Morrison, Matt Kemp
22. Julio Teherán, Jon Lester, Justin Verlander, Manny Machado
23. Christian Vásquez, Luke Gregerson, Pablo Sandoval, Andrew Benintendi, Noah Syndergaard, Cole Hamels, Fernando Rodney
24. Dansby Swanson, Chris Sale, Lucas Giolito, Justin Wilson, Tommy Pham, Justin Turner, Giancarlo Stanton, Brett Gardner

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#14 Most Loved - 17 points

Aaron Judge
Team: New York Yankees
Debut: August 13, 2016

What's to love? Most recently, he was on a date with some lady, and some rear end in a top hat came up to him & pestered him for an autograph/picture, and he DECLINED. Good for him for standing up for himself. I'm so proud of our collective Large Adult Son. :allears:

https://twitter.com/ChristinaMets15/status/1030393617435779072

But anyway, he is relatively new to the game and has already had a hell of a time. 2017 AL Rookie of the Year, HR Derby champ, rookie home run record breaker (52 to Mark McGwire's 49), and on and on. He's magnificent to watch as long as he isn't striking out :ninja:.

A baseball in the last moments of its life.

He also already has his own fan section at Yankee Stadium, which is more than we can say about most players these days.

Freddie Freeman
Team: Atlanta Braves
Debut: September 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1029478523424010241

What's to love? All he does is hit, hit, hit, no matter what. He had a 30-game hitting streak in 2016, and finished 2017 with 28 HRs & 71 RBIs under his belt despite having an injury-laden & incomplete season. I'm not even sure what a Silver Slugger is meant to celebrate if Freeman doesn't even have one in his whole career.

Not too bad of a defenseman either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBGjLcNTbLw

He is also kind to his rivals...

...but calls them out when necessary.

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsBraves/status/1029927716429037569

Current Rankings

quote:

14. Aaron Judge, Freddie Freeman
15. Josh Donaldson, Dexter Fowler
16. Kyle Schwarber, Yadier Molina
17. Max Scherzer, Anthony Rizzo
18. Kevin Pillar
19. Mookie Betts
20. Carlos Gómez, Alex Bregman
21. Curtis Granderson, Yolmer Sánchez, Andrew McCutchen
22. James Paxton, Paul Goldschmidt, Noah Syndergaard
23. Wilmer Flores, Enrique Hernández, Sean Doolittle, Shohei Ohtani, Archie Bradley, Jason Heyward, Ozzie Albies, Trea Turner, Brent Suter, Evan Gattis
24. Blake Snell, John Axford, Justin Verlander, Albert Pujols
25. Matt Chapman, Wilson Ramos, Yangervis Solarte, Stephen Piscotty, Brandon Nimmo, Adam Wainwright, Jesús Aguilar, José Ramírez

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Aaron Judge is just a lovable ogre and I regret not having him on my own favorites list, it was hard to make room

YeahTubaMike posted:

Aaron Judge
Team: New York Yankees

lmao

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tom Gorman posted:

Aaron Judge is just a lovable ogre

I'm just going to assume that you're a straight guy here.

And yes, that GIF is so great, lol.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I am a straight guy but Judge could crush my skull with one hand which fits the basis for my definition of an ogre.

Not that he would ever do such a thing, because he's a cool and friendly guy.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
As much as I love the lists, I think having most of the lobbying done at this point in the season, and then having the results be towards the end might be nice, because there seem to be some recent developments that might have shaken up the order had the votes not been submitted a couple weeks ago.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Miz Kriss posted:

As much as I love the lists, I think having most of the lobbying done at this point in the season, and then having the results be towards the end might be nice, because there seem to be some recent developments that might have shaken up the order had the votes not been submitted a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, for real. I literally only did it after the All-Star break because of how the previous threads had gone. Mid-August would be a MUCH better time not only because of the developments that occur, but it would also be easier for someone like me who has early August plans (like, for example, Caribana, which I have attended for the last two years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Regretting I did not foresee and put down Cole Hamels on my favourites list.

• Locked thread