Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I'm having some trouble remembering some exceptionally cool dudes to put on my ballot this year. I also have four Cubs already which is the max I'm willing to go full homer on. Please plug more cool dudes for me.

The following players were among my 2017 entries and are still cool, but in the interest of switching things up they will not be on my 2018 list: Ichiro, Arenado, Kershaw, Altuve, Stanton. PLEASE HELP. MY FAMILY IS SUFFERING.

Hello friend, I assume you already heard the good news about Carlos Martinez. Setting him aside, Stephen Piscotty is in Oakland now, is a cool guy who’s been through a lot this year and brought us all joy during his Very Bad Day on the Basepaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Poque posted:

I'm having some trouble remembering some exceptionally cool dudes to put on my ballot this year. I also have four Cubs already which is the max I'm willing to go full homer on. Please plug more cool dudes for me.

Oh man, four from your team is considered full homer? I don't think I have four who aren't from the Jays.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was pretty much just trying to uphold Xenophon's ( :rip: ) rules, but I guess I can change it next year, assuming that it wouldn't actually ruin anything.

It's my first time too. It could be a good rule, but it wound up with me looking over the Yankee's roster being like, "I guess Brett Gardner has a dumb face, I remember thinking that last time we played them."

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Patrick Spens posted:

Oh man, four from your team is considered full homer? I don't think I have four who aren't from the Jays.

I only had 4 current Cardinals on mine. I also had 3 former Cardinals though. I think I’ll do a mini-lobbying post for Piscotty and Farquhar soon but for now, please everyone remember Stephen Piscotty and Danny Farquhar.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is this where I stump for a bunch of cool dudes and also some real bad dumb dudes? Oh well, here goes!

:siren:FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:siren:

JOSE ALTUVE
I literally love Jose Altuve. I had initially planned on writing a big meaningful paragraph about how he represents the absolute best of what this city really is, and how he's the heart and soul of the team. But you're all going to (deservedly) vote him into the top 3 anyway, so I'll keep it short (:haw:).

he run

he jump

but most importantly

he glare at trump

EVAN GATTIS
Houston, Texas was a great big land,
With a great big job to be done,
A job that needed a great big man,
Evan Gattis was the one.

Evan Gattis has quietly become one of my favorite players over the past few years. If you aren't familiar with his story, I encourage you to read up. A baseball player overcoming great adversity to find success in the game is hardly uncommon, but it's encouraging to hear from one who's so open about his struggles with mental illness, especially in a society and sport that still stigmatizes depression, anxiety, etc. to an outrageous extent. It's hard not to root for someone who went from janitor to World Series champ after giving his dream a second shot. He's a gentle giant too, just look at his HR ritual with Tony Kemp:

Of all the Bald & Bearded Baseball Boys on the Astros (there's so many now), he's the best.

FRANCISCO LINDOR

Mr. Smiles! This will be another short entry since he'll likely be in the top 10 anyway, but Frankie Lindor is half the reason I follow the Indians. He's charismatic, he's talented, and he's always fun to watch. My grandfather (another Frankie) was a lifelong Indians fan and I wish he had lived long enough to see Lindor play because he's exactly the kind of player he would have loved.

:bravo:And now a bunch of morons for your Hate List consideration:bravo:

KEN GILES
- I hate his stupid loving windup where he takes ten seconds to unstick his balls from his leg
- I hate his penchant for getting fired up after every K, even if the previous batter knocked him for a 2B or HR
- I hate the feeling of dread that grips my heart like a cold fist every time he comes into a game
- I hate his stupid loving half-assed goateed face and I just wish someone would smash a fist right into i-

Oh nice, thanks Ken.

ROUGNED ODOR
Exhibit A: The Assassination of Jose Bautista by The Coward Rougned Odor

He also seems to wear his sunglasses approximately 99.9% of the time, regardless of time or weather. At this point I'm honestly not sure he actually has eyeballs. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING UNDER THERE?!?

TREVOR BAUER

- He's a MAGA-CHUD of the highest order
- He routinely defends the use of Chief Wahoo, at one point even claiming that Native Americans don't find it racist
- He likely cost his team a championship because he shredded his finger dicking around with a toy just before the '16 WS
- He's a climate change denier
- I'm almost certain he made a flat earth claim at one point

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sho(bae) Ohtani

He has come to fulfill the prophecy of the complete player.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Patrick Spens posted:

It could be a good rule, but it wound up with me looking over the Yankee's roster being like, "I guess Brett Gardner has a dumb face, I remember thinking that last time we played them."

I put Kevin Plawecki on one of my lists (not sure if it was 2016 or 2017) because he had lovely walkup music. :shrug:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Oh man I completely forgot Ken Giles punching himself in the face. Too late now though.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Some mini-lobbying:

Stephen Piscotty

No surprise, I like someone who came up with the Cardinals. No offense to him, but Stephen Piscotty has always seemed like a very generic, inoffensive player just to look at him. Most people know him primarily because of his very bad day around the bases:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_hR8nkhNa0

And of course, with Scott Sterling audio...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6bZqu4xjx8

I've liked Piscotty for a while now, mainly because he seems like a nerd. He went to Stanford, studying atmospheric and energy engineering. He completed his degree in the 2014-2015 offseason and the Cardinals signed him to a 6-year extension in 2017. Tragically, his mother was diagnosed with ALS around the same time. Piscotty took personal leave to be with her and his play wasn't near the previously-stellar level of prior years afterwards. Tommy Pham emerged as a dynamic player for the Cardinals last year and they traded for Marcell Ozuna, leaving Piscotty as a 4th outfielder at best. The Cardinals traded him to his childhood team, the Oakland A's, in part because his family lives in the Bay Area and he could be near his mother while she and his family dealt with the disease. Gretchen passed away earlier this year and Piscotty hit a home run in his first AB after returning from the bereavement list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGuLOpB83Oc

Piscotty and the A's have set up a YouCaring for ALS research in Gretchen's honor. Since he's found his rhythm again Stephen has been playing very well for Oakland, putting up a 162 wRC+ since 5/28/2018 and slashing .307/.374/.582.

Danny Farquhar

I'll be honest, I don't know much about Danny. I liked him before he grabbed significant attention earlier this year mostly because his walkout song was "My Shot" from Hamilton and he'd stated that once he was done with baseball he wanted to become a math teacher. Danny suffered an aneurysm at the ballpark and collapsed after appearing in relief on 4/20/2018. He came back and threw the first pitch at a game on 6/1/2018. In a season with very little to celebrate for the White Sox Danny's recovery and positive outlook have been a much-needed bright spot for the Southsiders.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If yall dont vote for Lindor and Jose Ramirez on your most liked list youre wrong. Theyre the best. I barely remember my list but i really shoulda put Ramirez on there

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still have no idea who this Stephen Piscotti character is, being a east coast, AL east aficionado, but he does sound like he would go great with a big cappuccino and maybe a cigar.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

zapplez posted:

I still have no idea who this Stephen Piscotti character is, being a east coast, AL east aficionado, but he does sound like he would go great with a big cappuccino and maybe a cigar.

https://twitter.com/athletics/status/1018542490855411713?s=21

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Day 6

Good day, everybody! I'm giving everyone a free extra day because I've been so all over the place lately. You now have until July 29, 11:59 PM EST, to get your ballots in. My performance as OP needs improvement. Thanks to the person who plugged the thread in the N/V thread, I really appreciate it although I do not remember who you are at the moment.

Ballot count: 12

Mild campaigning because I don't want to bias the poll TOO much but I do want some Met awareness:

Brandon Nimmo's smile brightens the cold, dark world that is Mets fandom. His bat also helps, though perhaps not as much as his HBP rate lately.

The now short-haired Jacob deGrom is so good that even the rest of the Mets can't even FULLY drag him down. He has an ERA under 2, and is 5-5 for the season. We are witnessing history here.

Pancakes posted:

Danny Farquhar

I'll be honest, I don't know much about Danny. I liked him before he grabbed significant attention earlier this year mostly because his walkout song was "My Shot" from Hamilton and he'd stated that once he was done with baseball he wanted to become a math teacher. Danny suffered an aneurysm at the ballpark and collapsed after appearing in relief on 4/20/2018. He came back and threw the first pitch at a game on 6/1/2018. In a season with very little to celebrate for the White Sox Danny's recovery and positive outlook have been a much-needed bright spot for the Southsiders.

I had gotten an item at a :420: event, ate it before MLB Food Fest, went to Food Fest, then heard the terrible news about what happened to Farquhar, and it harshed my mellow completely. For what it's worth, I was MASSIVELY hungover when I was informed about José Fernández's death, so maybe I should just never do anything ever again.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I actually had a hard time filling out my most hated list. There are a couple guys who stand out but most of the rest of it is just guys whom I get mad at for being bad.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Sent my list in, I had a hard time going back and forth, I wish I could have had more then 10. I couldn't do the hate list, I usually reserve that for managers, lol.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Day 6

Ballot count: 14

I'm starting to see some unfamiliar names, this is fun. :D I mean, granted, I love Ichiro as much as the next gal, I just only have so many different ways to write about him, you know?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Ballot seeeeennnnnt

I feel like it was a little too predictable but thems the breaks

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I re-read my list while sober and had a couple of "how did I forget that guy?" moments, but I stand by my decisions, even if I have a couple of regrets.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tom Gorman posted:

Ballot seeeeennnnnt

I feel like it was a little too predictable but thems the breaks

A couple of years ago I was literally the only person to put any Cardinal on a favorites list. :negative:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Twenty Four posted:

I re-read my list while sober and had a couple of "how did I forget that guy?" moments, but I stand by my decisions, even if I have a couple of regrets.

Everyone gets one do-over, friendly reminder...

Also, I still haven't even made my OWN lists.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Pancakes posted:

A couple of years ago I was literally the only person to put any Cardinal on a favorites list. :negative:

In the spirit of being Fair and Balanced™ I only had three. Because I hate ballot stuffing, and I was being honest.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

tadashi posted:

I actually had a hard time filling out my most hated list. There are a couple guys who stand out but most of the rest of it is just guys whom I get mad at for being bad.

Chatwood came really close to making mine, but there are just too many domestic abusers, racists, and homophobes for me to add someone I hate just for being bad at baseball.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I should put Norris on my loved list since he ruined the Cardinals

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I filled my top ten list easily but my hated list is lacking this year because a lot of the guys who are usually on it are no longer eligible

remind me of some guys to hate, goons. I generally just use the hate list for people who hit their wives and girlfriends, that sort of thing, but maybe I'm just forgetting a bunch of them

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Berzerker posted:

I filled my top ten list easily but my hated list is lacking this year because a lot of the guys who are usually on it are no longer eligible

remind me of some guys to hate, goons. I generally just use the hate list for people who hit their wives and girlfriends, that sort of thing, but maybe I'm just forgetting a bunch of them

Ryan Braun, Aroldis Chapman, Jose Reyes, Jeurys Familia, Matt Bush, Trevor Bauer, Jake Arrieta, Josh Hader, Bud Norris, Daniel Murphy.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hey that filled my last couple of spots. Ballot sent.

Was depressing to move Osuna from favorites to least favorites. :(

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Day 8

Ballot count: 16

Keep 'em coming, folks!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Chatwood came really close to making mine, but there are just too many domestic abusers, racists, and homophobes for me to add someone I hate just for being bad at baseball.

I can not hate someone just for being bad at baseball. It just doesn't seem fair, especially since they're still way way way way way way way better at baseball than me.

The Berzerker posted:

Xander Bogaerts randomly didn't show up to an autograph signing event in New Jersey earlier this month, and as far as I know, there's still no explanation for why.

Giancarlo Stanton bites directly into KitKats instead of breaking the sticks apart like a normal person.

Otherwise, I got nothing. :shrug:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
He didn’t quite make my top 10 but Tommy Pham plays with a giant chip on his shoulder, has a degenerative eye condition, hates ballhawks, has been dicked around by the Cardinals regarding salary and talks nonchalantly about his stepdad stabbing him.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't get why goons have such a hate boner for Ryan Braun. Normally we love players that dope up

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

zapplez posted:

I don't get why goons have such a hate boner for Ryan Braun. Normally we love players that dope up

Repeated lies, including trashing the tester’s career and reputation and calling him an anti-Semitic Cubs fan in his lobbying to other players.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Repeated lies, including trashing the tester’s career and reputation and calling him an anti-Semitic Cubs fan in his lobbying to other players.

And then getting busted for roids again after all that, and winning the MVP over someone not busted twice.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

zapplez posted:

I don't hate him for doing roids, I hate him for lying about it & trying to sabotage someone's career/reputation for CATCHING him doing roids. That's inexcusable and (imho) unforgivable.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
And while we're at it, gently caress Aaron Rodgers for claiming he'd give back his MVP if Braun wasn't clean, then never actually doing so.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
i hate him for doing roids

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I put in a list because it's the only way any Rays are making the cut.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Everyone gets one do-over, friendly reminder...

Also, I still haven't even made my OWN lists.

Thanks for that, I had to pull one guy to put someone in I can't believe I forgot, and switched the order on a couple of others. My revision is in the mail, and I'm still willing to bet when the results are out I will have a couple of forehead slaps. But I guess I'm gonna go with what I came up with.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
:siren: BALLOTS ARE OFFICIALLY CLOSED! :siren:

Final ballot count - most loved: 20
Final ballot count - most hated: 18

I thought last year's 25 ballots were an all-time low, and I said I'd "step up my self-promotion game next year" but I failed you. Maybe next year we can just informally shoot the poo poo about our faves or something. :shrug:

Anyway, tabulation begins...now.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I unironically look forward to the reveals in this thread every single day. :dance:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I unironically look forward to the reveals in this thread every single day. :dance:

Honestly, I do too. I try not to count the results until all the ballots are in, just so they're more surprising to me. :D

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

So with the tabulation getting started, are people clear to post their lists? I'm curious...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tom Gorman posted:

So with the tabulation getting started, are people clear to post their lists? I'm curious...

Believe them's the rules in the OP.

Favorites
1. Carlos Martinez
2. Yadier Molina
3. Javier Baez
4. Albert Pujols
5. Adam Wainwright
6. Stephen Piscotty
7. Jon Jay
8. Dexter Fowler
9. Yolmer Sanchez
10. Danny Farquhar