Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Gatekeeper posted:

what's with Ben and Jerry's flavors anyway? cherry Garcia is good if a little dull but Jerry sucks, Phish food owns but phish sucks, the tonight dough is amazing but Jimmy Fallon is a piece of poo poo, americone dream is extremely meh but Colbert is good

what the gently caress are ben and Jerry doing? stop worrying about ghostwood and the Packard saw mill and get your poo poo together boys

Don’t eat the cinnamon bun flavor. Or else you’ll compare all other flavors and makers to how it was “almost as good” as the cinnamon bun ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

Older examples but I doubt things have changed:

When fans would come up to them and ask for photos, they would agree and if one of them was taking the picture, would deliberately mangle the photos. Tilt the camera so heads were cut off or so someone was out of the pic or it is blurry.

In 1998 when they still actually did big Halloween shows with albums being covered, they did an obscure album that no one knew or cared about for Halloween. Then two days later, at a show where almost no one was willing to travel to they pulled out Dark Side of the Moon. So rather than 20k devoted fans getting to see it, there were like 2000 in attendance.

And today, they charge an assload to watch streams of their shows. Take The Disco Biscuits, they stream nearly every show on youtube for free. But Phish wants like $15 or something crazy. If a small band can stream for free, a group of multi-millionaires who sell out nearly every show with 10k+ fans can do it, too.

The first two are not the points against them you think they are (actually theyre kinda funny) and considering their longtime free-taping policy who gives a poo poo about the third

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aesop Poprock posted:

Hey buddy, Brian Eno’s “Before And After Science” came out that year

...hmm.

This requires some thought.

:hmmyes:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
1977:
Talking Heads 77
Bob Marley Exodus

also '77 Live by Japanese group Les Rallizes Denudes if you really want to talk psychedelic jams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoYVEQeJ4WQ&t=3106s

this would be way better to trip to than the Dead in 1977

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 24, 2018

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
1977: Pink Floyd's best album

Seriously, the grateful dead aren't the best but by no means are they that bad. After reading this thread, I don't trust SA's taste in music...

6 pages until someone mentioned Nickelback??!!! Seriously, what the gently caress, you guys!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Gatekeeper posted:

what's with Ben and Jerry's flavors anyway? cherry Garcia is good if a little dull but Jerry sucks, Phish food owns but phish sucks,

They are based out of Vermont and those are extremely Vermont bands. I'm honestly shocked that they haven't named a flavor after Neil Young yet.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Literally A Person posted:

If you are listening to anything from 1977 besides punk music you are doing music appreciation wrong.

There is a grotesque amount of insanely good music that came out from 77 to 85 or so that isn't Punk (much of it Punk adjacent tbf), and I basically have to assume you've been lobotomized after this post lol.

Peetown Manning posted:

1977:
Talking Heads 77
Bob Marley Exodus

people mentioned Before and After Science
Costello's debut.
Bowie's Low and Heroes
Iggy Pop: The Idiot and Lust for Life (latter might be punk I guess)
someone already mentioned Animals
Fleetwood Mac with Rumors
The Stranger from Billy Joel
The best goddamn record George Clinton ever made aside from Maggot Brain: Funkentelechy vs the Placebo Syndrome
not a fave of mine, but someone would say Aja from Steely Dan
Marquee Moon

And it only gets better from there. 79 and 80 are monster years.

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 24, 2018

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grape posted:

There is a grotesque amount of insanely good music that came out from 77 to 85 or so that isn't Punk (much of it Punk adjacent tbf), and I basically have to assume you've been lobotomized after this post lol.

Look at mister "I-have-a-fully-functioning-brain" over here. What a showoff!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Older examples but I doubt things have changed:

When fans would come up to them and ask for photos, they would agree and if one of them was taking the picture, would deliberately mangle the photos. Tilt the camera so heads were cut off or so someone was out of the pic or it is blurry.

In 1998 when they still actually did big Halloween shows with albums being covered, they did an obscure album that no one knew or cared about for Halloween. Then two days later, at a show where almost no one was willing to travel to they pulled out Dark Side of the Moon. So rather than 20k devoted fans getting to see it, there were like 2000 in attendance.

And today, they charge an assload to watch streams of their shows. Take The Disco Biscuits, they stream nearly every show on youtube for free. But Phish wants like $15 or something crazy. If a small band can stream for free, a group of multi-millionaires who sell out nearly every show with 10k+ fans can do it, too.

The disco biscuits would love to be so popular they could charge for their streams. Unfortunately, they’re terrible. The only time they were reasonably popular were when phish broke up and nitrous dealers needed somewhere to go.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Grape posted:

people mentioned Before and After Science
Costello's debut.
Bowie's Low and Heroes
Iggy Pop: The Idiot and Lust for Life (latter might be punk I guess)
someone already mentioned Animals
Fleetwood Mac with Rumors
The Stranger from Billy Joel
The best goddamn record George Clinton ever made aside from Maggot Brain: Funkentelechy vs the Placebo Syndrome
not a fave of mine, but someone would say Aja from Steely Dan
Marquee Moon

And it only gets better from there. 79 and 80 are monster years.

Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk came out that year too. Its no Autobahn or Computer World, but the second half is great.
Animals may have been mentioned twice already, but it deserves to be mentioned repeatedly.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It occurred to me earlier that REM just might be the worst band of all time. One listenable song and then hours and hours of absolute crap.

If you listen to Murmur and at least one of those songs doesn't make you feel something then you are pretty much loving dead inside.
Document is pretty solid too and so is Monster. Automatic for the People is worth checking out too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Terrapin Station came out in 77. Don’t know any of those other records but it must have been a great year.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ardemia posted:

If you listen to Murmur and at least one of those songs doesn't make you feel something then you are pretty much loving dead inside.
Document is pretty solid too and so is Monster. Automatic for the People is worth checking out too.

Oh, they had a different vocalist than Michael Stipe at some point?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BigFactory posted:

Terrapin Station came out in 77. Don’t know any of those other records but it must have been a great year.

Have you actually heard any music before

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CheesyDog posted:

Have you actually heard any music before

Ya

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’ve listened to dicks picks 1,2,4,7-12 then I skipped some. I heard 22, 29. One other I think. Then A bunch of Dave’s picks. And some NRBQ.

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

NiceGuy posted:

The first two are not the points against them you think they are (actually theyre kinda funny) and considering their longtime free-taping policy who gives a poo poo about the third

They are also popular with Nazis

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Payment Day posted:

They are also popular with Nazis

Nazis have fairly eclectic tastes.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Jam bands are utter loving garbage and if you're into them you're probably a worm brained hippie who thinks the earth is flat and it's being covered up the illuminati or something. Hippies are loving gross and dumb and you're gross and dumb if you associate with them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I had a sister who was really into hanging out with hippies for a while after ditching her square boyfriend and hooking up with dallas area trust fund hippies and they conned her into drinking kombucha juice and other nasty things, which was hilarious. I always thought the stereotypes about how hippies smelled was overblown nonsense, and generally the hate towards them overblown until she brought over a couple of deadheads who smelled like they wallowed in poo poo in all day before coming over and were insanely judgemental about all kinds of idiot poo poo.

the psychedelic hookups she had through them were loving rad though.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Grape posted:

There is a grotesque amount of insanely good music that came out from 77 to 85 or so that isn't Punk (much of it Punk adjacent tbf), a

punk adjacent, it's a shame ricky died and they ended up doing mtv pop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khQiqFArffo

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

basic hitler posted:

I had a sister who was really into hanging out with hippies for a while after ditching her square boyfriend and hooking up with dallas area trust fund hippies and they conned her into drinking kombucha juice and other nasty things, which was hilarious. I always thought the stereotypes about how hippies smelled was overblown nonsense, and generally the hate towards them overblown until she brought over a couple of deadheads who smelled like they wallowed in poo poo in all day before coming over and were insanely judgemental about all kinds of idiot poo poo.

the psychedelic hookups she had through them were loving rad though.

lol @ drinking kombucha and lol @ using people you find distasteful for drug connects

BigFactory posted:

I’ve listened to dicks picks 1,2,4,7-12 then I skipped some. I heard 22, 29. One other I think. Then A bunch of Dave’s picks. And some NRBQ.

The first 10 or so are overall good, I like the Oakland one a lot (vol.5). Vol.6 is fantastic as well. I think they are a great starting point for anyone interested in checking them out. I haven't listened to any past like volume 20 or so.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
More like the Living Ingrates.

That's all of us, btw.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Grape posted:

They are based out of Vermont and those are extremely Vermont bands. I'm honestly shocked that they haven't named a flavor after Neil Young yet.

Transformer Mango
This Nut's For You

BoldestCorgi
Jun 23, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I looked this up. "Loaded" by the Velvet Underground is not an obscure album that nobody knows or cares about. Like, not that I'd want to hear Phish gently caress it up, but it's a pretty famous album.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

BoldestCorgi posted:

I looked this up. "Loaded" by the Velvet Underground is not an obscure album that nobody knows or cares about. Like, not that I'd want to hear Phish gently caress it up, but it's a pretty famous album.

:owned:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BoldestCorgi posted:

I'd bet that for every 100 people you find who know about DSOTM you might find 1 who know Loaded. Among the common people, it is unknown.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Smashing Pumpkins should be in the running for worst band of all time, too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Smashing Pumpkins should be in the running for worst band of all time, too.

I don’t think so, captain sarcastic. There are a bunch worse.

Meck Pomses
Jan 7, 2011

I QUESTIONED BUYING AN AVATAR WHEN I GET A FREE "STUPID NEWBIE" ONE WHEN REGISTERING SO SOMEONE GAVE ME FANART OF BIG BOSS DRESSED AS BAYONETTA DRAWN BY N ARTIST WHO TRIED TO MAKE A COLLABORATIVE BBW FIGHTING GAME FOR MY AVATAR OUT OF SPITE
I don't remember any band members from Smashing Pumpkins except Billy Korgan.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Gobblecoque posted:

op is a touch of gay

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I was listening to the Grateful Dead channel like a month ago and I caught a show in the middle of drums and I was about to turn it off but then Brent started scatting and playing the worst synth patches and it was almost impossible to stop listening to it. It was so bad that I wondered how they let it go on for 12 or 15 minutes, but the rest of the band must’ve been offstage and not listening.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Meck Pomses posted:

I don't remember any band members from Smashing Pumpkins except Billy Korgan.

I have a vague recollection of a member of the band who suddenly got kicked in the 90s. I'd assumed it was permanent since it was big news at the time, but according to Wiki he was back in a few years. I have to admit, the Pumpkins weren't a band I was super into, so most of them outside of Corgan escaped me, but upon looking at their wiki I was reminded of their original line-up, again.

In the 90s and even into the 2000s, they were probably the midwest's version of Seattle Scene's Nirvana, The Athens Scene's REM, maybe California's RHCP/STP as regional superstars that were seen as iconic trendsetters for their regional sound.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Didn't the bassist go super-broke when she started dabbling in horse-breeding?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Smashing Pumpkins wrote some absolutely ripper songs. You’d have to be crazy to think they were the worst band in the world even if he has a super annoying voice. Their new stuff is pretty bad though.

Anyway, we’ve been through this, the worst band ever is definitely the Rogue Traders.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The worst band is any heavy metal band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Even Judas Priest?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Black Keys are one of the worst acts currently going. They are the musical equivalent of tap water with pepper in it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They haven’t been really a big deal for almost 10 years though right?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Cosmik Slop posted:

Black Keys are one of the worst acts currently going. They are the musical equivalent of tap water with pepper in it.

and their name is loving racist if you say it out loud really fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

The worst band is any heavy metal band.

Counterpoint: Orion from Master of Puppets.
gently caress... Cliff Burton. Just like the B's, the band changed their sound. :smith:

Ardemia posted:

The first 10 or so are overall good, I like the Oakland one a lot (vol.5). Vol.6 is fantastic as well. I think they are a great starting point for anyone interested in checking them out. I haven't listened to any past like volume 20 or so.

Every one I have listened to has sounded flat and lifeless compared to their soundboards. They just don't seem to have the 'punch'.
The Barton Hall one is pretty close though on a quick comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAMvEAAU8yQ

• Locked thread