Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
wtf is this word and why do I need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Because "you is an idiot" tends to backfire as an insult.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
pirate

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you’re going down the path of “what is the use of this word” you might not get English language as a concept of taped together random hodgepodge poo poo

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

"are" can begin a sentence and provides information instantly about the future subject of the sentence i.e. it is either a second person address or discussion of a plural

this makes it distinct from "is" and gives it unique value in the linguisticon. thank you

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Android Blues posted:

"are" can begin a sentence and provides information instantly about the future subject of the sentence i.e. it is either a second person address or discussion of a plural

this makes it distinct from "is" and gives it unique value in the linguisticon. thank you

What does are mean

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It exists so you know how to pronounce the letter R.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I figure if'n you wanna learn English ya' gotta accept that a lot of it don't make a lick of sense. English is like Play-Doh. You can mush it around and really make whatever you feel like.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
the plural of "are" is "arse" OP

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

schmuckfeatures posted:

the plural of "are" is "arse" OP

:emptyquote:

I thought somebody'd explained what are means by now, aren't people in GBS really smart?

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Grevling posted:

:emptyquote:

I thought somebody'd explained what are means by now, aren't people in GBS really smart?

that all depends on what the word "means" means.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Methanar posted:

wtf is this word and why do I need it

Are you serious?
Are you not aware how aresome
This word are?
Don't be an areshole

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

nullEntityRNG posted:

Because "you is an idiot" tends to backfire as an insult.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

It's sentence glue op.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE ARE

yeah seems broken to me too

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are country tiss ofthee, sweet land of library.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
EXPLAIN ARE TO ME OR I'LL loving KILL YOU! DON'T DUMB IT DOWN INTO SOME VAGUE poo poo! EXPLAIN ARE TO ME RIGHT NOW OR I'LL LITERALLY loving KILL YOU! WHAT THE gently caress IS A TO BE VERB? WHAT THE gently caress ARE? DON'T DUMB IT DOWN OR I'LL loving KILL YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Support are troops

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's a rating by the MPAA film rating system OP. It means no one under 17 admitted without a ticket bought by a parent or an guardian.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Support are troops

are cuntry

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

English is the worst. Why would steak and stake have the same pronunciation.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Elman posted:

English is the worst. Why would steak and stake have the same pronunciation.

I'm about to blow your goddamn mind: Their, there, they're. To, too, two.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Are is the representative form of an article when dropped to the place of a verb or occasionally place present usage of verb in adverb structured sentences. The word, considering it is only three stupid making GBS threads letters long, is a huge pain in the rear end to explain and a real fucker in my opinion but for the love of god trying to parse singular present tense questions in the second person would be an absolute nightmare without it.

It is considered as the plural present of "be" but that's just because some rear end in a top hat said it was and not because of any sort of sensible linguistic meaning because loving English is some cobbled together twisty-tongued bullshit.

E: Yes, I just said this cocksucking word is both a singular and plural representative when used within the same context. gently caress's sake.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Word "are" mean what?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'are potter, 'es a right young wizzard sure 'nuff

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you "are" retarded op

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think you mean you "our" retarded

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

bradzilla posted:

I'm about to blow your goddamn mind: Their, there, they're. To, too, two.

Those are similar enough, I can see why that would happen. Steak and stake are just spelled completely different so it's weird. Speak isn't pronounced like "spake".

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

terror horror terrible horrible

Horrific

Terrific!!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Elman posted:

Those are similar enough, I can see why that would happen. Steak and stake are just spelled completely different so it's weird. Speak isn't pronounced like "spake".

Uh yeah and steak isn't pronounced like "leak" either

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I are gay

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
It means "to be"

Like the French "etre"

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
For instance, Harry is the King of England are

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
"the" is the most worthless word in English language.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Recruitment and retailing made easy?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
French has are too and it's about as equally crazy

Je suis
Nous sommes

Does everyone think sommes is crazy garbage??

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

curlys gold posted:

terror horror terrible horrible

Horrific

Terrific!!

Glad this story had a happy ending but it had me gripped the whole way

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN