Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This game

was made by these people

18 years ago. And I'm going to play it for you, Internet.

Intro

Mission 1 - Uranium Mine

Mission 2 - The Pentigrad

Mission 3 - Land Train

Mission 4 - Containment

Mission 5 - Refinery

Mission 6 - Vostograd

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

So, he's totally not James Bond, right?

Thank you for the Pity Reply.

Aside from being a British MI-6 agent, I'm so far not getting too much of a Bond vibe from him, though I'm sure there is at least some minor influence. He's not smarmy or drunk enough, and we haven't done any womanizing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So last year, I was looking into doing a blind playthrough of a point-and-click adventure game (not any particular one, just that style of game), and ended up changing my plans because the results were just a lot of nothing happening at any given point.

I figured I'd give this game a shot because blending the action elements with the adventure game elements made me feel like things wouldn't be as slow. It's still definitely slow, just not AS slow in comparison. I think the next couple videos will better convey what kinda game this is gonna end up being and what it'll be like to watch me play through it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kangra posted:

Is this based on the book? Seems like a terrible adaptation. I know Capote took some liberties, but at least he didn't make Alvin Dewey British.

It's interesting to me that while there's a lot of homage given to the pixel art of yesteryear, the horribly-textured early 3D models haven't seen such a revival. I wonder if some future wave of nostalgia will make it fashionable.

No, there's no connection to the book of the same name.

There are a few games that attempt to revisit the aesthetic of early 3D games, but for the most part, I think those kind of graphics and models are seen as a technological evolution (whereas 2D/pixel art is looked at as more like art), so to emulate earlier stages of the process is to just deliberately make something look less advanced or bad. It doesn't hold the same kind of charm. Besides, the 2D/pixel art stuff you see now is an upgrade from the limited colors/animation frames/resolution of days past, so that in itself is an evolution, just like the 3D graphics now are an evolution of what they used to be.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Just figuring out a few more things about how this game plays. We're also starting to get a few hints of story.

With this game being a bit slower-paced, I think I might increase the update schedule once I have more of a backlog.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

coleman francis posted:

I like the retrofuture look to the whole facility. Everything is brass colors and rounded corners.

It's an interesting layout for sure that tells a story. You start out in some relatively clean and sleek areas for the soldiers, and then you see grimier areas where the technicians hang out. Then there's that whole smashed-up hallway that raises questions, as does a giant rail cannon tucked away past a storage room with some grumbly old man in a cube.

Edit: By the way, I am planning to do a stream on Twitch tomorrow around 8pm EST. I'm gonna start doing a blind run of Dark Souls 2, and it would be pretty nice if I had an audience of more than 0 to do it.

https://www.twitch.tv/jpg_live

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 27, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pretty much yeah. Across the ravine is a compound, which leads to the pit head, and that will take us down into Mine B.

So he's telling us how to get into Mine B (via the pit head), but not how to get to the compound. And I was just a little lost by what he was saying, because I'm still getting my bearings on the area and wasn't sure if what he was telling me was at all helpful to me actually getting across the ravine.

It was not, BUT we will be getting there soon enough.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Starting the stream now. Gonna make a character and then start the game proper at 8:00pm EST.

Edit: We're done for now, but I'll plan to continue again next week. Thanks to everyone who came by to check out my terrible, terrible failures.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 29, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I THINK at this point, my grasp of the game is strong enough that I will be continuing on without getting so hung up. Unless there are more instance in the future where the game is a dumb jerk to me...

Once again, I will be streaming Dark Souls 2 this Saturday at 8pm EST. We had a nice handful of folks there last week, so I'm hoping we can have a fun time together again. And if you missed the stream, I cut it up into smaller chunks and uploaded them to my channel (I even managed to filter out most of the air conditioner audio!) if you wanna catch up beforehand. But if you just want a summary: I died a lot and made little progress.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

OutofSight posted:

There s a certain appeal to "just threaten this arsehole with your gun" in an adventure game.
But at the same time a played so many of them (most of the "Broken Sword" titles, too), that it would never come to me naturally. These games exist for their convoluted puzzle solutions. And their strange interfaces and pixel hunts.

That scene with the particle accelerator reminded me very much of original Grim Fandango: pseudo 3d-movement before rendered background and no clear feedback with what you exactly can interact, besides some awkward neck twisting from our protagonist.

Ah nostalgia.

Just a couple of awkward moments that will only (hopefully) give me a better understanding of how to move forward in the game. If I THINK something should be happening, I just need to be a bit more forceful in trying to make it happen, and thankfully those moments of getting stuck haven't yet resulted in too much bumbling about with nothing happening as a result.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tonight's stream for Dark Souls 2 is up and running! Hope to see some folks come by and hang out for a bit!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

This game has started off very slow, I'll admit, but I think we're finally going to be seeing some stuff happening now. I'm also really trying to find a nice balance between "Careful plodding along so I don't gently caress up" and "Savescumming every couple seconds and recklessly running through the game" and I'm hopefully not being too poo poo here and the few of you that are following along are liking what I'm doing.

Remind me to do a super-popular recent game for my next LP. Let's Play Fortnite or something. :(

I'm also gonna keep streaming Dark Souls 2 whether you like it or not! And I totally understand if you don't like it because I don't either! BUT we might all find some enjoyment from the game if we hang out together and you guys can advise me on how to deal with its bullshit! So come hang out with me again this Saturday at 8pm EST, k?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'd say this is going fine so far for a blind playthrough of what looks to be a classically obtuse adventure game. In hindsight it's sensible that you'd only be able to look up the tech's info after you get him to tell you his name, but it's also the kind of thing that would get signposted in a more modern adventure game.

I'm still considering this a learning period for how the game works. I wasn't really thinking of the databases in the way the game wants you to, which is Cord searching through stuff based on his own knowledge. Can't look up a person if you don't know who they are, but their info is there to find once you know what to look for. So now I will hopefully remember this for the future.

Doing my best to avoid playing absolutely terribly, and trying to cut out times where I'm kinda aimless in the next step to take while still showcasing my thought process and attempts to do stuff when I have something I think of to try.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

coleman francis posted:

I think you went back over the gorge by getting too close to the wall.

I wonder if a 100% stealth run of this is actually possible.

At 1:20, you see me walking up against one of the machines, and then suddenly take a sharp turn and beeline straight for the rope. This game has some very strange detection at times.

I don't think 100% stealth is an option, but I am certainly going out of my way to interact with guards more than is necessary because I haven't been wanting to take many chances with getting surprised by them later. After all, what kind of spy would we be if we weren't leaving a trail of bodies in our wake?

Hope to see some peeps tonight for Dark Souls 2. I THINK I've actually got some equipment that better suits me, so I shouldn't be dying as much! Hooray!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

I've been watching these videos for weeks and didn't even realize you had a thread up.

I'm enjoying what you've done so far, this looks like a nice little game that I've never seen anyone mention. It looks like a normal point and click adventure where "stealth" and "gun" are things in your inventory, rather than it being some sorta MGS-like game, which is probably for the better.

They definitely went with what they know, but the action makes things feel different enough from the usual point-and-click stuff and makes me feel more involved. I love me some point-and-click adventure games, but blending that with some stealth action is refreshing without being too different.

Anyway, it's time for Dark Souls 2, everyone! Come help me overcome this bullshit.
(And if you don't already know, past streams are uploaded at a better quality on my YouTube)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I've been a bit under the weather this week, so I don't know if I'll stream on Saturday or not. I wanted to stream mid-week, but I haven't been up to doing that or even getting any recording done, so I might just need some more rest. We'll see what happens.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just wanna point out that the guard hauling rear end and clipping through the wall to get at me happened consistently over multiple reloads.

And yes, at this point, we're "done" with the mission we were sent in to do, so the next logical step is to get out.

Anyway, there will definitely not be a stream tonight, but hopefully I'll be better soon enough and can do some mid-week streaming or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's it for the "Uranium" mine! Next time we'll be in a new location with a new mission.

With this, I'm aiming to ramp up putting out videos for this starting next week or the week after, but this darn ear infection really slowed me down, so I'm a bit behind on things. I also will NOT be streaming on Saturday, but maybe I'll feel well enough during the week to sneak in a stream or two and then hopefully return to Saturdays after that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

coleman francis posted:

Ugh, ear infections really suck. So drat painful.

I really thought you'd be in the mines longer, try and shut it all down. The usual hero spy stuff.

We're just the one little spy guy who ended up in a situation we weren't properly equipped to deal with, so it's all about the long game here.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm planning to return to streaming Dark Souls 2 tomorrow night (8pm EST), so hopefully people will come by and continue to watch me struggle.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Heading back into the world of Dark Souls 2. Please come hang out with me tonight. I love you.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Had a little bit of a hangup here, but I still managed to forge ahead all by myself, which I'm proud of. I'm also proud of the next video being the end of this chapter, which means it's either very short or I managed to play much better compared to the first chapter.

On the Dark Souls 2 front, I'm going to be streaming more tonight at 8pm, rather than on Saturday. I MIGHT still stream on Saturday though. And a reminder that if you ever wanna catch up on my streams, I've been cutting them up into smaller chunks and re-uploading them to my YouTube.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Another chapter down.

So we have one dead agent, one exposed agent, one kidnapped little girl, and a super-substance in the hands of a dictator. Fun times!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

coleman francis posted:

I just realized the missions being book-ended by John in captivity is not painting him in a good light. He's managed to bungle a good chunk of each mission so far. Maybe MI6 ought to try and send someone else.

Not necessarily. He's infiltrated places and completed his missions. Of course, he hasn't done so in the most stealthy and inconspicuous of ways, but I'm not sure if that was ever expected.

Of course, the fact that he IS captured by the enemy and being tortured into telling them everything certainly suggests he hosed up somewhere, but remember that he believes he was set up, and there's a good handful of suspects at the moment for that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

A neat concept of advancing through train cars with varying challenges. Also toward the end of the video, a new task is revealed to us which makes me feel very tense and unhappy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

coleman francis posted:

I know those giant dump trucks exist, but holy heck what is up with the size of these vehicles.

I hate time limits so much.

I couldn't find any real-life "land trains" on this scale, so I'm putting this on the same level as a COBRA hideout. Still, it makes for an interesting level, going through a mobile base, car by car.

And yeah, I get easily stressed by things like this. Time limits, being chased, enemy waves. Just situations designed to overwhelm a player make me super anxious and I tend to gently caress up really badly (*cough* foreshadowing *cough*).

Aardark posted:

Thanks for playing this, I was always curious about this game.

I'm glad there's an interest. I know it's an obscure title - one I didn't even know anything about - but it has a lot going for it and I've found it to be a pretty fun experience so far.

Here, have today's video. As you may have noticed, the "two-a-week" plan hasn't actually happened yet. I've been working on some other things that may or may not be happening in the near future.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I do think the game looks very nice. It's hard to remember that this is a PC port of a PSX game sometimes.

It was released really late into the console lifecycle (the PS2 was already out in Japan), so by then, the PSX's capabilities were pretty thoroughly explored and utilized.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hi hello, time for another episode. I hope you like it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Polsy posted:

Going to assume you made the fatal mistake of not waiting for the robot to visibly follow you out

I'm not actually sure what happened there. The robot definitely spotted me (how couldn't it?), and it SHOULD have followed me out like it did before. I either was too fast or it was just one of those little quirks like that time a guard phased to matter to shoot at me.

coleman francis posted:

Would the game let you put a bullet in those two squabbling npcs?

I mean, they're dead in 20 minutes anyway, but still.

So far, you can't shoot at anything that isn't shooting back, so guard and robots only. John always says he shouldn't when I try to fire on technicians and such, so threatening only.

I... didn't think about all the nice people on the train that are going to die. Aww man. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you are interested, I have started a playthrough for Until Dawn. The thread for that is here.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

We're supposed to be apprehending Nagarov. This mission is a flashback. We are currently being tortured by Nagarov. So let's see how badly things got hosed up here, eh?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

coleman francis posted:

Legitimately disappointed you didn't get the dead guys hat along with the ID.

Discovering a room full of elon musks cave rescue pods was a weird twist.

It's about to get a lot weirder.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey hi.

As I try to say in the video while dealing with shock, this game is taking a surprisingly dark turn. Sure, it's a political spy thriller where the antagonist is a dictator, but I wasn't really expecting them to flesh things out how they are. I mean, M. Bison is an evil dictator and all we ever get from him is that he... brainwashed and enslaved women OK BAD EXAMPLE.

The point is I wasn't expecting this game to go as far as it is with Nagarov being a horrible evil monster.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kangra posted:

I guess the game's title is making more sense down. It's a lot more blood-chilling at least.

Which is the darker and scarier game - this or Until Dawn? (Can't wait for the twist in Until Dawn where Josh turns out to be a superspy who has gathered all the best CIA agents in one place to determine who is the mole, and the game becomes a stealth actioner).

So far, I have not been stalked by murderbots in Until Dawn, so In Cold Blood is currently winning.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Took a week off because I was a bit behind on some stuff and needed to miss an update, but I'm back now and will hopefully not have any more missed updates in the foreseeable future.

Also I try not to do this too often, but I'd like to do a little request for subscribers. I know not many people watch this series, but it seems like those that do are mostly people not yet subscribed. I could use a little boost as I try to grow my channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

coleman francis posted:

Cord saying he doesn't know why he went with Kostov...

Either he is just playing with Nagarov and resisting the truth serum or there's another twist on the way.

A lot of what is going on is very interesting to me. The way Nagarov is conversing with Cord seems almost like a debriefing, aside from the torture. Cord goes from saying he doesn't trust Chi Ling Cheung to saying he does. Disobeying orders to help Kostov's movement. The plans to instigate a ware between the US and China. The actual missions themselves.

I don't really know where the story's gonna go, and I'm very interested in finding out.