Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Seyser Koze posted:

I still don't have any water moves besides splash :saddowns:

Joke's on you, Splash is Normal-type!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Seyser Koze posted:

Well, sort of working. They still try to attack me. Also Noodle learned another non-damaging move. :flaccid:

I know you're disappointed by this but Glare is actually a fairly good high accuracy paralyzing move. It's lower accuracy than Thunder Wave in this gen (it'll get buffed to 100% in later games) but Thunder Wave won't work on ground types and Glare has no type restrictions at least. Glare used to be the signature move of the Ekans line, although other pokemon can learn it now. Regrettably this still doesn't make Ekans or its evolution very good, but I do love snakes so I can't hate them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Epicmissingno posted:

Joke's on you, Splash is Normal-type!

The reason is: In Japanese the name is more like 'hop' but since Magikarp was the only pokemon who could learn it in Gen 1, the localization team translated it to Splash.

Then it was given to non-water types in Gen 2 but it was too late to change the name of the move.

Also, as you noticed this is kinda the place where the game starts opening up a bit and you have an actual choice where to go. I don't really mind the order you do things in but I feel doing Lavender first and going to Saffron is closer to the game designer's intended order.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just fyi. All of gio's pokemon are weak to water. So yeah...

Kangaskhan is pure Normal.

CuwiKhons posted:

Glare has no type restrictions at least.

Glare's confusing because they flip-flopped on that. It used to work on everything, then Ghosts were made immune to it and then they weren't again and now Electric types are immune to it. As far as this game goes, Ghosts are immune but nothing else is. There's not very many Ghosts at all, though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Electic types have always been immune to all forms of paralysis, right?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Electic types have always been immune to all forms of paralysis, right?

Bulbapedia:
Starting in Generation VI, Electric-type Pokémon are immune to being paralyzed. However, if a Pokémon's Electric type is changed through a type-changing move like Soak, it is then paralyzed and switched out (resetting to the Electric type), the paralysis will remain.

Only since Gen 6.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Rocket grunts helping you out after you beat them makes sense when you consider that you have several attack dragons and they've just become defenceless.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Consider me corrected.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Glare's confusing because they flip-flopped on that. It used to work on everything, then Ghosts were made immune to it and then they weren't again and now Electric types are immune to it. As far as this game goes, Ghosts are immune but nothing else is. There's not very many Ghosts at all, though.

Huh. I had actually checked Bulbapedia on Glare because I remembered it being 100% accuracy but I wasn't sure if it was in early gens (it's not) and I saw the bit about Ghosts but I misread it. I thought Ghosts were immune in Gen 1 and changed later. My bad.

I had no idea Electric types are immune to paralysis now though. That's sort of a weird decision. I'm guessing it's because the bulk of moves that can paralyze are Electric type but it's not like Stun Spore, Lick, Body Slam, Glare, etc don't exist.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Electric is such an odd type. They're powerful against two of the more common types but not much else since their move pools tend to be limited. They have one weakness but usually have low defense anyway so that's kind of a wash.

When they're useful they're REALLY useful (especially against Water types, who can really hold their own against just about anything), but I usually just give my Thunderbolt TM to whoever can use it and avoid them. I think I did take a Jolteon to the endgame once, though

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 8, 2020

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I had no idea Electric types are immune to paralysis now though. That's sort of a weird decision. I'm guessing it's because the bulk of moves that can paralyze are Electric type but it's not like Stun Spore, Lick, Body Slam, Glare, etc don't exist.
I guess they just really wanted to mirror the automatic immunities of Poison/Fire/Ice, and Electric was the best match for it.
I don't think any type ever got sleep-immunity though, and I'm not even sure which one would get it. Maybe Psychic?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Quantum Toast posted:

I guess they just really wanted to mirror the automatic immunities of Poison/Fire/Ice, and Electric was the best match for it.
I don't think any type ever got sleep-immunity though, and I'm not even sure which one would get it. Maybe Psychic?

I think Dark type would be better for sleep immunity.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fairy because Jigglypuff is the poster 'mon for the Sleep status

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

sebzilla posted:

Fairy because Jigglypuff is the poster 'mon for the Sleep status

Please no Fairy types are strong enough already.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Seyser Koze posted:

I still don't have any water moves besides splash :saddowns:

Splash is actually a Normal-type move. Because in Japanese, the name is more accurately translated to "Hop". It was just called Splash in Gen 1 because the only Pokemon that learned it was a fish. :eng101:

Edit: Wait, someone said that already.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I Ain't Afraid Of No Skull Bone Lizard Thing

Giovanni may have evaporated after we beat him, but his underlings are still faithfully keeping their posts. :patriot:

At this point it seems like we're done with Celadon City, and if the cops can be believed, we can finally make our way to Saffron. Before we do, though, we have a little unfinished business back in Lavender Town. I rearrange my team to hopefully make it a little less Charizard-heavy, then head inside.

With the Silph Scope we stole liberated from the Rocketeers, we can finally see the sentient fart-clouds of Lavender Tower for what they are!

As you'd expect of a ghost, they're pretty resistant to snakebites and constriction.

and they attack you by hammering nails into their own skulls :staredog:

Daigoro has more luck damaging the Gastlies by spitting fire at them, so before too long I manage my first catch of the trip.

This is another description that raises that "how do people still exist in the Pokeverse?" question. I'm imagining that goofy shot in Return of the King where the ghost army swarms over the elephant like something out of a Resident Evil game.

It's like Casper, but gassier! I am not good at naming.

(I thought somebody had suggested a name for a Gastly, but going back through the thread I couldn't find it. If I missed you, I can still change it!)

Further in, we finally meet a bone cube! :toot:

And Jesus Christ is it vicious. I didn't manage to catch a screenshot, but it has some kind of bone boomerang attack that absolutely wrecks you.

And that noggin isn't just for show, either.

But eventually enough of my Pokemon pile onto him that I can do the needful.

:(

Actually, wait. What does a Cubone with a living mom do? Are they not Cubones until their parent dies?

ZeusCannon posted:

Also name a cubone Bambi

Didn't remember to show off a screenshot, but done!

Also that is not a ghost Pokemon! Why did I need Ecto-vision to fight this thing!? :argh:

Anyway, we keep climbing the tower (using the handy healing spot along the way) until we reach the place that stopped us last time.

MAROWAK! SHE'S GONNA WHACK YER MARROW!

CuwiKhons posted:

I know you're disappointed by this but Glare is actually a fairly good high accuracy paralyzing move. It's lower accuracy than Thunder Wave in this gen (it'll get buffed to 100% in later games) but Thunder Wave won't work on ground types and Glare has no type restrictions at least. Glare used to be the signature move of the Ekans line, although other pokemon can learn it now. Regrettably this still doesn't make Ekans or its evolution very good, but I do love snakes so I can't hate them.

Not gonna lie, being able to paralyze enemies more-or-less on demand ends up being a pretty big help on this update.

That said, Angry Skull Mom is still a bit much for Noodle to take down on his own.

I try putting Puff up against her with the power of blown leaves...

But ultimately the day has to be saved by... Quackers? Huh.

The mother's spirit was calmed. It departed to the afterlife...

Any particular Cubone? Or is she the ur-skullmom from whom all skullchildren are descended? :iiam: Either way, she's off to the big Pokeball in the sky now.

The Marowak did a number on us, so I make another quick trip back to the healing circle before continuing.

On the way, Quackers turns out to be a pretty effective ghostbuster.

Back up to the top floor, where we have more Rocket thugs. How did they get past the big ghost?

I let Quackers keep leading the way for the moment. I don't know if we've seen the upgraded Zubat before. I don't think it's really an improvement over the eyeless design.

Bye!

Also, Noodle evolved at last! I neglected to screenshot the Pokedex entry, so...

Bulbapedia posted:

The pattern on its belly appears to be a frightening face. Weak foes will flee just at the sight of the pattern.

:ninja: Then, he starts ranting about how TEAM ROCKET's abusing POKEMON. So, we're just talking it over as adults.

So he went to confront you at the hideout... and then you all walked all the way back here to have your talk? :psyduck:

Arbok really must be terrifying, since we chew through Rocket Goon #2's lineup without taking a hit.

Wait a minute, I've been making thousands of P-Bills with my Pokemon by picking fights with strangers. Am I the real monster here?

Villainy!

The Raticate lands a couple well-placed Hyper Fangs, so I swap Puff in for cleanup.

:arghfist::ninja: You stay out of our business!

Buddy, I didn't even know you guys were here until I climbed the stairs.

:corsair: Thank you. But, I came here of my own free will. I came to calm the spirit of CUBONE's mother. I think MAROWAK's spirit has finally left us. I must thank you for your kind concern.

One trip to the bottom of the tower later...

The kids are still here. I'm really not sure how huggable a Gastly or an Onix would be, to be honest.

:corsair: Your POKEDEX quest is one that requires strong dedication. Without deep love for POKEMON, your quest may fail. I'm not sure if this will help you, but I'd like you to have it.

It's a flute for poking people.

:corsair: Try using it on POKEMON that are sleeping obstacles.

hint hint

Only one place (well, actually two) where that seems applicable.

I don't know what Kat expected, to be honest. I'm like that when I wake up too.

Granted, I'm able to actually stand up afterward.

We land a paralysis on it right off the bat. Good start!

But things start to go south very quickly. I'm not sure how the Snorlax headbutts you while lying down, so I have to assume that the big arms and legs are decoys and it actually moves around via millions of tiny centipede-like legs on its back, which is actually its underside.

And then this happens. Snorlax puts itself to sleep on command, and gets a full heal in the process.

And it does so again and again - sometimes back-to-back, sometimes waiting until I have it down to 20% health. Eventually I throw in the towel and run for it.

...And returned to the mountains.

And it was never seen again. Hey, the road's clear!

...So, after I'm finished reloading the game, I guess we need to come up with a better strategy.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 31, 2020

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

On the way, Quackers turns out to be a pretty effective ghostbuster.

So in Gen 1, Ghosts and Bugs were intended to be the counter to Psychic types. The problem with this is that Poison is weak to Psychic. All the Ghosts in Gen 1 (all three of them) were half Poison and so are most Bug types. And none of that is even that relevant because all the Ghost and Bug type moves are bad or do a set amount of damage. Dark type was introduced in Gen 2 pretty much entirely to stop the tyrannical reign of Psychics over all other Pokemon.

Quackers is fantastic here because he has a Psychic type move to wreck shop on the poor half-Poison Ghosts, but is himself a Normal type, which is immune to Ghost moves.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Snorlax is actually one of the most powerful pokemon in the original 151, one of the top tier of pokemon to battle competitively.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yeah, Snorlax isn't as big (haha) as it used to be competitively in Gen 1 and 2 where it was a terrifying juggernaut, but Snorlax is still extremely viable in the weird world of competitive Pokemon. Especially in doubles. When a Snorlax shows up you either break that wall ASAP or it's going to be a rough time.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

This is another description that raises that "how do people still exist in the Pokeverse?" question.

also: do real normal animals exist?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Seyser Koze posted:

:(

Actually, wait. What does a Cubone with a living mom do? Are they not Cubones until their parent dies?

I think that Marowak hunts Kangaskhan using bonemerang and collects their skulls. Then they give the skull to baby Cubone to wear and grow into. This is a best guess explanation because many Pokedex entries don't make sense - like the references to real world animals.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
In the original versions this ghost tower had another instance of sequence breaking that the game devs had to take into account. If used in battle the Poke Doll item lets you run away from any wild encounter without having to do a speed check. Players could use this item on the ghost Marowak before being able to identify her to make her go away and get early access to the Poke Flute. I'm not sure if the Poke Doll lets you run from her or fails in these versions but it definitely won't result in her disappearing this time around.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Quoting what I think Gastly should be called

Edward Mass posted:

You're going to run into some spoooooooky Pokémon. Name them 2spooky4u.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
You really like that better than Gasper?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

magikid posted:

You really like that better than Gasper?

There's only one Gasper: Gaspard Augé.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

That Cubone you caught was uniquely devastating, huh? Does it have an item attached to it? :crossarms:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

That Cubone you caught was uniquely devastating, huh? Does it have an item attached to it? :crossarms:

Probably more a consequence of fighting a Ground type with a Posion type and a Fire type.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

it could have the item, though.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
There's one more Snorlax in the game so don't feel too bad if you botched that one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Snorlax doesn't give a gently caress that it's already asleep. It'll go to sleep again. :colbert:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Listen Up, Fat

Last we left off, a giant meatwall was being uncooperative.

I'm too dumb to remember how the fight went last time, so let's do it again!

Oh, that's right! We're grotesquely underpowered for this. :saddowns:

And the Snorlax commences full-healing almost immediately, even though he's only down about 5 HP.

Right after that, this happens. I have no idea what a Chesto Berry is, so I have to assume that activating it causes a German man to show up in a giant robot and smack you awake with an comically oversized sword.

Did you know Snorlax can get critical hits too? Because Snorlax can get critical hits too.

I try having Noodle paralyze him, but he almost immediately goes back to sleep. From what I can tell, status effects overwrite each other too.

The Snorlax tries to Snore at me a few times during this update, but it never hits. Not that it helps me any.

:argh:

Oh, and he can put you to sleep by yawning at you!

Right, screw this, I'm out of here.

After reloading I bike back to the Lavender Pokecenter to change things around. People in the thread were strongly hinting that my new Cubone was carrying something of interest, but it looks like we're empty-handed.

We've got some trouble here. Apart from my level 41 Charizard, none of the team are above level 30, and we only have half a dozen or so in the 20-30 range. I try to pull a slightly less pitiful lineup together (apart from Bambi, who's there because why not) and head back to try again.

Noodle didn't have any luck dealing damage last time, but I still have him open up with Glare in the hopes that paralysis will make things go a little more smoothly.

I'm just going to run down the list and see what happens. Zerk is up first, but Rock Tomb doesn't look like it's doing much, beyond lowering the speed of the (sleeping, completely inert) Snorlax.

Then, in a flash of inspiration, I try kicking him in the junk.

It works so well I do it again!

I don't want to take chances here, so it's time to break out one of the Great Balls I bought a few updates ago.

What.

GET IN THE BALL YOU FAT PIECE OF poo poo! 3 Great Balls and a painful headbutt later, the game finally cooperates. If it hadn't been for Noodle's paralysis, it probably wouldn't have worked.

Wait, only 6'11"? What is that, the distance from the ground to its navel when it's lying on its back?

Omnicrom posted:

Also I may be jumping the gun on this, if you ever do find a big giant sleeping Pokemon and catch it I request it be named Big ZZZam.

All it needs is a bigass beam weapon and we're set!

Short update, but I have my revenge from last time, and isn't that what really matters? Next time we go to Saffron! Maybe.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Seyser Koze posted:

Listen Up, Fat, a 10 is Speaking

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 20, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Seyser Koze posted:

Wait, only 6'11"? What is that, the distance from the ground to its navel when it's lying on its back?

No, that's more like 4'8''. When a Snorlax deigns to stand up it's about 7 feet tall, and only a little less wide.

quote:

Putting this quote in my back pocket for the future.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Haha I love it. That ending really captures that "WHY WON'T YOU STAY IN?!?" feeling, especially on a pokemon that can heal.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

6'11", 1,014 pounds. That's incredible density.

I wonder how far a Snorlax would sink into the ground if it stood up. It reminds me of that maybe-even-true trivia piece about how a girl in heels exerts more pressure on the ground per square inch than an elephant running.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Seyser Koze posted:

I try having Noodle paralyze him, but he almost immediately goes back to sleep. From what I can tell, status effects overwrite each other too.
Not in general - Rest is a special case that explicitly does that. (Which means poison, and to a lesser extent burn, can sometimes be handy for blocking paralysis and sleep, since you can only have one at a time. Except confusion. And being in love.)

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
The biggest question about Snorlax continues to be "how the gently caress does that thing manage to stand up when it finally does wake up?"

Seyser Koze posted:

There are actually bigass beam attacks, one of which I think Snorlax is capable of learning at some point.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 20, 2020

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Sorites posted:

6'11", 1,014 pounds. That's incredible density.

I wonder how far a Snorlax would sink into the ground if it stood up. It reminds me of that maybe-even-true trivia piece about how a girl in heels exerts more pressure on the ground per square inch than an elephant running.

This is totally true actually. My dad and I did the math once when I was young and even assuming a large heel (1 inch square) and a small girl (100 lbs) it works out to much more than an elephant standing on one foot.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Truthkeeper posted:

The biggest question about Snorlax continues to be "how the gently caress does that thing manage to stand up when it finally does wake up?"

I point to the longstanding fandom joke that it took Snorlax 17 years to actually get up.

Also if we're talking about pokemon and density the other problem child is Wailord, which is 47 feet tall and weighs under 900 pounds. I think someone did the math and concluded it's lighter than air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I point to the longstanding fandom joke that it took Snorlax 17 years to actually get up.

For those who don't know: this joke is based on the gradual change of the in-game sprites of Snorlax, over the generations.