Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do you guys do it? I don't want to look at ugly gym people. I don't want to be caught staring creepily at yogapants sluts. I'm bored with looking at my phone and the scenery at the gym doesn't change much. I can't exactly watch the pounds melt away, so what the hell am I suppose to do to maintain my own sanity while I plod aimlessly and motionlessly forward through the gray, drab nothingness of the local health club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Lift weights instead

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kak posted:

Lift weights instead

That's what I do before I do my cardio

THE loving GYM IS BORING C'MON PEOPLE HELP ME OUT

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I listen to mindfulness and Buddhist audiobooks.

I stare at a spot on the ground in front of me while doing so.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

fakeaccount posted:

How do you guys do it? I don't want to look at ugly gym people. I don't want to be caught staring creepily at yogapants sluts. I'm bored with looking at my phone and the scenery at the gym doesn't change much. I can't exactly watch the pounds melt away, so what the hell am I suppose to do to maintain my own sanity while I plod aimlessly and motionlessly forward through the gray, drab nothingness of the local health club?

download a podcast, or some music. If you've an ipod and Netflix, just download your favorite shows and watch it while you plod away.

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
i do math in my head to calculate how much time i have left to run, what percentage done i am, what time i will pass certain mile markers. any kind of mental math to not think about running

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
stare at one of the people lifting weights until they make eye contact then look away OP

see how long u can stare before they notice

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Stair machine bitch! I climb the equivalent of the Sears Tower (2232) three times a week. Usually just go to 2500 on the cooldown. Best time is just under 23:30.

Also put some hate in your heart and concentrate on it while listening to metal. Works for me.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why don’t you jog to the gym and then drink some sports drinks and hit the heavy bag, do the pool, maybe play some raquetball with a girl with huge tits, take a jazzercise class, relax in the steam room with some fresh eucalyptus. All treadmills should be mounted on segways imo, and you walk on the treadmill to charge the Segway and this is how we all move about at the gym.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DonJNavarro posted:

i do math in my head to calculate how much time i have left to run, what percentage done i am, what time i will pass certain mile markers. any kind of mental math to not think about running

I look at the console for that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Run outside. I don't get how people can run on a treadmill either.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DonJNavarro posted:

I'm constantly doing this. There's a timer on the treadmill that switches from time elapsed to time remaining and back again, as well as a calorie meter and various other gauges, so there's a monologue in my head that's like "ok I've been on here for 15 minutes so that's not 15% it's 25% of the hour, leaving me with 75% of an hour to go which is actually 45 minutes not 75 minutes, the calorie meter says I've burned 100 calories so far so that'll be 400 calories by the time I'm finished"

And that's what I'm trying to get away from. The repetitive math exercises feel like they're harmful after a while.

Chinatown posted:

Stair machine bitch! I climb the equivalent of the Sears Tower (2232) three times a week. Usually just go to 2500 on the cooldown. Best time is just under 23:30.

Also put some hate in your heart and concentrate on it while listening to metal. Works for me.

My gym doesn't have a stair machine. Death metal never ends though.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

I first started running on a treadmill and could do it for up to two hours without losing my mind but then I discovered running outside and I've never looked back. I can't imagine ever joining a gym again.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

My zip code has 4 seasons, and they're called:
  • Frigid
  • Mosquito feeding grounds
  • so hot you'll loving melt
  • Hmm maybe i could run outside in the fall

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I enjoy a light snack, like a box of donuts

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

BBC RADIO ONE one...one...one

HI IM PETE TONG AND THIS. IS. THE. ESSENTIAL MIX.

FOR TWO HOURS (NON STOP) YOUL BE LISTENING TO BEST BEST DJS IN THE WORLD

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I listen to audiobooks when I work out. Podcasts work well too.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
This is a golden age for maintaining treadmill sanity. Podcasts, Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, audiobooks, etc. You have like 80 billion options for treadmill entertainment.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Focusing on the treadmill and your time on it only makes being on the treadmill seem longer.

Do something to take your mind off of it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
running on a treadmill is bitch running, like using machines for compound lifts. You'll never work your stabilizers and so will always be crap, person wise

Run outside or save it.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
That one chick on the Pelaton exercise bike commercial gives me a real rod-on. You know the one I'm talking about.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Supreme Allah posted:

running on a treadmill is bitch running, like using machines for compound lifts. You'll never work your stabilizers and so will always be crap, person wise

Run outside or save it.

This is also true.

If you are a fat goon, just improve your diet to lose weight and then start running when you are at BMI 25 or less.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Supreme Allah posted:

Run outside or save it.

You wanna fight about it? Mano-e-mano, armed only with our own stabilizers? WE'LL SEE WHO'S MORE STABLE

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6vqeL-ysI

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Don't call people sluts because of how they dress

Unless they're wearing a t-shirt that said "Please address me as a slut, no it's cool I made this shirt on purpose, this isn't a marketing slogan, call me a slut it is what I want to be called of my own free will and choice". That's be ok then I guess, but that's about the only exception I could think of.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I get completely and utterly lost in a dreamlike state. The first 10 minutes are kind of rough, but as they go I slip in and out of it until around minute 15 I kind of just go somewhere else - I'm vaguely aware I'm in a gym, but I'm also fully dreaming and my mind is wandering with no guidance. I see the dream more than I see the gym.
It took me loving ages to get used to it because when you briefly slip out of it you kind of second guess your ability to run and how you managed to keep doing it - which can totally ruin it, but you got to trust that your subconscious knows what it's up to and let go.

If I can't get in there within 15 minutes I call it quits on cardio and do something else but it's been a while since that happened.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 20, 2018

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Enzo posted:

Don't call people sluts because of how they dress

Unless they're wearing a t-shirt that said "Please address me as a slut, no it's cool I made this shirt on purpose, this isn't a marketing slogan, call me a slut it is what I want to be called of my own free will and choice". That's be ok then I guess, but that's about the only exception I could think of.

yes mother

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I used to just pick a c.d. and listen to that, never liked treadmills though. Elliptical machines make reading alot easier.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

cubicle gangster posted:

I get completely and utterly lost in a dreamlike state. The first 10 minutes are kind of rough, but as they go I slip in and out of it until around minute 15 I kind of just go somewhere else - I'm vaguely aware I'm in a gym, but I'm also fully dreaming and my mind is wandering with no guidance. I see the dream more than I see the gym.
It took me loving ages to get used to it because when you briefly slip out of it you kind of second guess your ability to run and how you managed to keep doing it - which can totally ruin it, but you got to trust that your subconscious knows what it's up to and let go.

If I can't get in there within 15 minutes I call it quits on cardio and do something else but it's been a while since that happened.

This is how normal people experience life.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Colonel Cancer posted:

This is how normal people experience life.

Completely unaware where they are and what they are doing, watching colors, shapes and events flash by? It's pretty good but I only get it about 20 minutes before I fall asleep and on a running machine. Please don't drive a car anywhere near me.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

cubicle gangster posted:

Completely unaware where they are and what they are doing, watching colors, shapes and events flash by?

:yeah:

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Take a class for your cardio then not everyone is cut out for the hamster wheel

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I run 5 minutes on the treadmill to warm up then lift weights, and do another 5 minutes when I’m done. Treadmills are loving boring, any more than that makes me want to die. I do my cardio by running in the park, which is far, far more rewarding

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I listen to podcasts and/or radio shows on my MP3 player or phone. That is, until I go to a gym that blasts their lovely music super loud and I can't hear my own stuff. I hate that. Here's comes Bruno Mars for the 10th time, hell yeah!

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Mastuerbate

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Go for an actual walk instead. Walk to the gym if it's only a couple miles away and take a bus back.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Chinatown posted:

The BEEFY man's workout

:respek:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i think about how to get away with murder

i also do this to fall asleep

Woden
May 6, 2006

fakeaccount posted:

My zip code has 4 seasons, and they're called:
  • Frigid
  • Mosquito feeding grounds
  • so hot you'll loving melt
  • Hmm maybe i could run outside in the fall

It's part of the fun, stop being a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

The BEEFY man's workout

:respek:

get REAL BEEFY biNCTH!!

• Locked thread