Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

:siren: Spoilers? Please, for both myself and those unfamiliar with this game, no spoilers. That being said, anything covered in one of my videos no longer counts as a spoiler. :siren:

Chulip (or Chu♥lip) is a 2002 (in Japan, the U.S. had to wait until 2007 to finally get it) game released for the PlayStation 2 made by the famous game developers Punchline, who made other such classics like Rule of Rose and...

Chulip is an adventure/dating-sim type game where you play as a nameable protagonist, a new resident in Long Life Town, has to strengthen his heart by kissing people so he can get the girl of his dreams as she doesn't like him because he's poor. As you can tell, it's a pretty bizarre game, and the whole kissing aspect is only scratching the surface. While I do know the basic premise and mechanics, most of the game is unknown to me, so this is a "mostly" blind playthrough. I will still try and do my best to show off everything the game has to offer, and hopefully my brain won't rot from the odd, odd nature of this game. As said above, since this is a blind playthrough for me, please don't post any spoilers, and given how obscure this game is, you may be spoiling things for other people too.

Let's Pucker Up and Get This Over With:
Part 1 - Kisses and Onion Ladies
Part 2 - Underground Residents
Part 3 - Clearing the Train Tracks
Part 4 - Kisses Galore
Part 5 - Funny Bone Station and Stalking
Part 6 - More Kisses and Meeting an Alien
Part 7 - Kisses, Bathrooms, and Alarm Clocks
Part 8 - Manager For a Day
Part 9 - Kisses and Nudity
Part 10 - Kisses and Law Trouble
Part 11 - Love Ink
Part 12 - The Monk's Possession
Part 13 - Melvin's Arrest
Part 14 - Zombie Mika
Part 15 - Love Paper and Love Fountain Pen
Part 16 - You're Fired
Part 17 - 50 Kisses
Part 18 - Lover's Tree

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

(Reserving a post, just in case.)

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Before I start things proper, the protagonist and his love interest both need a name. Please, offer up your best names, and after a day or so I'll pick my favorite two and get things started. Both characters' names allow up to eight spaces.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Joanie for the protagonist, Chachi for the love interest

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
The protagonist is a real Melvin.

Does Sephiroth fit in the text box for the love interest's name? ... Just asking

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Takeru and Chiaki, respectively for protag and love interest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aw yeah, Chulip loving rules. Someone else here did an LP of it a year or two ago but I won't link it here for obvious reasons.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Cheech and Chong.

Maybe as a way to differentiate your LP from Chorpsaway: Make use of the name cards to get more lore from the characters.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 22, 2018

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Discendo Vox posted:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Filburt for the boy and Paula for the girl. Good luck!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Discendo Vox posted:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 1 - Kisses and Onion Ladies

The very start of the game is a bit tamer than I recall. I could have sworn even the first few neighbors you talk to were weirder than they were. That being said the last five minutes or so were what I consider pure nightmare fuel, so it all evens out. To be honest from here on out I'm not too sure what to expect of the game. That clock that has now appeared made me wary, as anything timed tends to do. I don't know if there will be some kind of time limit where if I don't complete the game in X amount of days, and I do recall the 9000Z rent a month, I'll get a game over. Or if I don't beat the game in a certain amount of days I don't get a good ending or something. Still, I will try to do as much as I can and hopefully not be locked out of some possibly-existent Golden Ending. I'm also unsure of how the game will be from this point on, like if I just go around helping people, making them happy, and then kissing them or something. I haven't seen any gameplay past the first day or two so I'm going to be a bit lost I'm sure.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Maybe as a way to differentiate your LP from Chorpsaway: Make use of the name cards to get more lore from the characters.
I don't know about those, like when I can get them or where. Is that something I can do right off the bat, or will I know exactly when I can find these?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I believe you can get them at the store by the train station. Mr. Suzuki should give you a card if you talk to him about the rules of love.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 23, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - Underground Residents

I met, or at least peeped on in most cases, a very...colorful cast of people. Really don't want to know what Chuck's deal is, honestly. The day did some seem to go by as fast as I was expecting, though on the other hand I did go through a lot of little cutscenes with the hole peeping, along with dialogue between multiple characters. Luckily I don't think there's any kind of time limit going on here, or I imagine it would have been mentioned by now. That being said, I have no clue what exactly I should do next, though I'm hoping answers will become clear once I cross that road that Suzuki unlocked for me.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I believe you can get them at the store by the train station. Mr. Suzuki should give you a card if you talk to him about the rules of love.
Well, I did get the card from Suzuki, I'm just not sure how to use it. Was trading it with another character the right thing to do?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
^^yes, the idea is you're trading business cards with people in long life town. then you show the business cards you were given to others, including the person who gave it to you, and they'll comment on the person who the card belongs to. you can show ANY item around town really, and sometimes they'll say something interesting about it. recommend doing this especially if you have something and don't know what it does or what to do with it. also i'm pretty sure you don't have to pay rent

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This game is very first Legend of Zelda level of discovery without a strategy guide and Majora's Mask with people's schedules. You will find all sorts of weird things happen at different times of the day, sometimes discover something happens within a strict one hour span for the whole day, if you can interact with something. It is a violently Japanese game after all.

There is a way to run in the game, but you need to solve the train issue and visit a certain place that may kill you if you don't level up. I'll direct you to it since it may be optional and a dick move for not being standard.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Flac posted:

^^yes, the idea is you're trading business cards with people in long life town. then you show the business cards you were given to others, including the person who gave it to you, and they'll comment on the person who the card belongs to. you can show ANY item around town really, and sometimes they'll say something interesting about it. recommend doing this especially if you have something and don't know what it does or what to do with it. also i'm pretty sure you don't have to pay rent
Yeah, I'll try doing the card thing more in the next video. I assumed I could show anything, though half the items in my inventory are literally poo poo, so I doubt that's gonna get a positive reaction from anyone. And good to hear about rent, if you're right. I mean maybe further kisses get more Zs like with the Onion Lady, but 9000 seems so out of reach.

Scalding Coffee posted:

This game is very first Legend of Zelda level of discovery without a strategy guide and Majora's Mask with people's schedules. You will find all sorts of weird things happen at different times of the day, sometimes discover something happens within a strict one hour span for the whole day, if you can interact with something. It is a violently Japanese game after all.

There is a way to run in the game, but you need to solve the train issue and visit a certain place that may kill you if you don't level up. I'll direct you to it since it may be optional and a dick move for not being standard.
I had suspicions it would be like that. Is there any real way of keeping track of who does what, like the Bomber's Notebook in Majora's Mask? I guess otherwise I'll just have to write everything down which isn't all that bad, I suppose.

Glad to hear about the running, I'm guessing there's at least another few big areas I've yet to unlock, and I'm worried about getting to certain places on time with how slow Melvin goes now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You really should write everything down since characters have so much to say about the others that it would look messy.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What's up with japanese games getting this weird? Or is it a perception thing where only the crazy stuff ones even make it overseas?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Avalerion posted:

What's up with japanese games getting this weird? Or is it a perception thing where only the crazy stuff ones even make it overseas?

I think it's more that you're ignoring how much Japanese influence there is in the "normal" games because they're not weird enough to stand out and tend to have better translations, making them seem more like they were originally made in English. Niche titles like Chulip probably aren't expected to be as popular, so they get a less thorough translation job and the Japanese influence is far more obvious.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 3 - Clearing the Train Tracks

At this point I'm starting to get slightly frustrated with how the game operates. In that you can randomly find items that deal damage to you in the same places you can find helpful items. It makes me not want to even look for helpful items, at the risk I'll keep taking damage. It doesn't help that seemingly random things will dish out huge amounts of damage, like that globe in the park. That globe is doubly bullshit because it's literally right next to a swing set that heals me. If random things can damage me, I'm going to want to keep as many hearts as I can, and not even bother looking in trash cans, at least not until I level up more. I have little patience for this kind of thing, especially the globe thing, because it's impossible to know it's coming the first time through, and in this case resulted in a game over solely because I didn't just assume a plaything in a park would hurt me, especially since it's, again, right next to a healing spot. I'm also wondering if this game is reflecting on some kind of controversy going on in Japan in 2002, with teachers not getting paid/paid enough or something. I just wonder since it seems to be so central to the main plot, to the point I barely even thought of Sefiroth during this entire episode.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is just that kind of game. Nothing happened in 2002 to influence it unless it was about rising union dues causing people to want more money.

Since you didn't find out yet, garbage collecting is how you make money in this game. There are multiple items in those spots each day. If you find a place where you can pick up poopie, you might be able to find an item you can sell off. More risk, more reward.

Hasty Wizard is the guy who lets you move faster. If guessed that he will kill you in one hit for failing, then you would be correct. Level up more. You can kiss him when he stops zooming around the place in the afternoon.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

Since you didn't find out yet, garbage collecting is how you make money in this game. There are multiple items in those spots each day. If you find a place where you can pick up poopie, you might be able to find an item you can sell off. More risk, more reward.

Hasty Wizard is the guy who lets you move faster. If guessed that he will kill you in one hit for failing, then you would be correct. Level up more. You can kiss him when he stops zooming around the place in the afternoon.
Ah, okay. Does that mean that frying pan I found was just to pawn off, and not something to help with Underground Residents?

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Thing to note is that every NPC is on a schedule so time management is critical to getting anything done. The game should have a mini guidebook to help you if necessary.

I also recommend going to the three areas at least once as Scarecrow Fields has a lot of stuff you can sell for a lot of money which'll be good because riding the train to all three locales and back allows you get something to make travel easier.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 27, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The guidebook is also wrong in a few places.
Some of the NPCs also operate on an RNG, so seeing them do their things might not even let you kiss them that day.
The game does point out the exact number of hearts you lose when you activate a trap. The spinning globe that killed you, took off twice your health. You will have to lose health to advance the plot. Always save and be at full health when you can.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm still making my way through the third video in chunks, but the title card between chapters says something like "In life, there are mountains, and there are valleys. What's up with that?" My Japanese knowledge is really basic, but I can stumble my way through reading it with a kanji dictionary handy, and I can explain a couple of the puns you may encounter that don't translate.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

Some of the NPCs also operate on an RNG, so seeing them do their things might not even let you kiss them that day.

Yeah, I'm noticing more and more Underground Residents are like that, so far I've counted at least three and it's a bit annoying.

Nidoking posted:

I'm still making my way through the third video in chunks, but the title card between chapters says something like "In life, there are mountains, and there are valleys. What's up with that?" My Japanese knowledge is really basic, but I can stumble my way through reading it with a kanji dictionary handy, and I can explain a couple of the puns you may encounter that don't translate.

Ah, okay. I just assumed it said something like "Chapter 1: [TITLE CHAPTER HERE] End" or something like that. And have there been a lot of puns so far or something?

Chimera-gui posted:

I also recommend going to the three areas at least once as Scarecrow Fields has a lot of stuff you can sell for a lot of money which'll be good because riding the train to all three locales and back allows you get something to make travel easier.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Part 4 - Kisses Galore

Decided to focus a bit more on getting kisses and leveling up than actively trying to move the plot forward. I'm pretty sure I already know how to become a believer in U.F.O.s, and I'm sure whatever I have to do with the temple's gong will be easier to figure out if I go to the temple during the day and can talk to more above-ground people. The random nature of some of the Underground Residents and their kisses can be a bit annoying. Like I'm pretty sure I had to just wait and Chuck was supposed to be kissable on his own, but it just never happened. Same thing with Apollo only being kissable if he makes a good landing. So I'd have to go to bed and wait until they're ready to come out just so RNG can hopefully go in my favor. For the next video I'm gonna just save up for a bunch of cash and maybe buy some of the shop items like the films and magnifying glass, though I'm not sure what to do with the latter quite yet.

And naturally one of like, two kisses I got on my own I pretty much did by accident without properly introducing the character first.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You should spend your money on healing items, because you will have to tank damage in order to kiss people. Don't be afraid to throw items away to open up space to buy stuff. The game actually is considerate about littering.
I think the number 4 means "die" in Japan.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Your first priority should be the train pass though I recommend not buying it until after you've gotten the train ticket for Worldly Desire Temple as a reward for completing a subplot.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The character on Yodzilla's front could also be "ム", the katakana (phonetic) character "mu". I have no idea what that would signify.

I haven't noticed any puns yet, but from previous experience with the game, I know of two that require enough explanation that they won't be funny anymore, but it's probably worth knowing what they are just so you understand the exact degree of weirdness in the game. I'll provide that explanation when they come up.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

You should spend your money on healing items, because you will have to tank damage in order to kiss people. Don't be afraid to throw items away to open up space to buy stuff. The game actually is considerate about littering.
Man, like how much damage are we talking here? I recently came across someone that can one-shot me even at full health. I'm hoping you mean they only deal so much damage if I mess up or something.

Chimera-gui posted:

Your first priority should be the train pass though I recommend not buying it until after you've gotten the train ticket for Worldly Desire Temple as a reward for completing a subplot.
Thanks for the tip, I should've known it would be so drat expensive, though. I've already started up on saving money for it.

Nidoking posted:

I haven't noticed any puns yet, but from previous experience with the game, I know of two that require enough explanation that they won't be funny anymore, but it's probably worth knowing what they are just so you understand the exact degree of weirdness in the game. I'll provide that explanation when they come up.
Alright, that sounds good. I honestly find Japanese puns and wordplay kind of interesting, even if I can't really grasp how funny they should be. I remember reading the Bobobo manga and enjoying reading how the puns worked in the Japanese language.

Part 5 - Funny Bone Station and Stalking

Didn't make as much progress as I had hoped, but I at least got some kisses under my belt. I'm hoping that I'm very close to getting one part of the Love Letter Set, assuming all I have to do is buy that alien translator guide and talk to the alien that's in Scarecrow Field. I'm hoping to save up enough money for the next episode (and then some) while getting some more kisses and leveling up at least once. I feel like I overstepped in trying to do things at the Funny Bone area, and I think I'll just avoid going there again until I've done pretty much everything else in the other three main areas. Seriously, gently caress that balloon guy. I'm also curious as to what Sefiroth's situation is; why she ran away from home and what exactly she's looking for. I'm a bit surprised at how little impact she's had on things so far considering she's the love interest of the game and all that.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Like I said, if you can hold off on buying it until you've dealt with the subplot that rewards you a train ticket or barring that keeping the pass at the Lost & Found until that subplot's been resolved. The game seems to like you're supposed to do at least that subplot before any of the main objectives.

I'd also recommend dealing with Michelle's cult early as well since that's very easy to knock out before any main objectives as well.

In order to use toilets outside of your home, you'll need to kiss the underground residents who clean toilets.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 30, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Chimera-gui posted:

Like I said, if you can hold off on buying it until you've dealt with the subplot that rewards you a train ticket or barring that keeping the pass at the Lost & Found until that subplot's been resolved. The game seems to like you're supposed to do at least that subplot before any of the main objectives.

I'd also recommend dealing with Michelle's cult early as well since that's very easy to knock out before any main objectives as well.

In order to use toilets outside of your home, you'll need to kiss the underground residents who clean toilets.
Oh, so it will actually break the game if I buy that pass? Alright, I'll hold off then.

I've been thinking about that cult thing too, still gotta figure out how to progress with it.

Yeah, I guessed as much, I'll probably look up which ones specifically do that before the next video, or at least a few of them. Gonna just avoid Funny Bone City altogether for a while.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's not so much that getting the pass itself before doing the subplot breaks the game as having the pass with you when you complete that subplot is redundant as the subplot itself ends with you being at Worldly Desire Temple and getting a ticket back to Long Life Town as a reward because the character that gives you ticket back home assumes you don't have the pass already.

That said, the pass is a game breaker in the sense that it will save you a ton of money on travel between the three areas which you'll be doing a lot of hence why it's a good idea to at least buy it early on even though you have no reason to have it with you when you get to a certain point within that subplot.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 31, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I said to save often.
The manure container is in SCF and it is a wooden square in the middle of the field. Maybe find the special item there if you want after reading that mail from Clam.

Kiss someone for the level and then bother the hasty wizard for the speedrunning tactics. Go to Scarecrow Field and find out when Invisible Man takes his walks. Follow the Invisible Man (follow the question mark) around at various stop points and tank each hit he gives you when you talk to him. The reward is worth it after several beatings, if you have some healing items. Stock up on cheap heals if you can. Health tanking is important because you will get worn down and going to dad takes money and time you could spend kissing people.

You found about half the people who can give you a ton of damage. Ad Balloon hits the hardest out of all of them. One of them hits a little bit harder each time you fail to kiss.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 31, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Chimera-gui posted:

It's not so much that getting the pass itself before doing the subplot breaks the game as having the pass with you when you complete that subplot is redundant as the subplot itself ends with you being at Worldly Desire Temple and getting a ticket back to Long Life Town as a reward because the character that gives you ticket back home assumes you don't have the pass already.

That said, the pass is a game breaker in the sense that it will save you a ton of money on travel between the three areas which you'll be doing a lot of hence why it's a good idea to at least buy it early on even though you have no reason to have it with you when you get to a certain point within that subplot.
Oh, I meant break the game as in if I get the pass it will make it so the game can't be completed because I shouldn't have bought it that early or something. I gotta save up money for other things, at least I believe so, anyway so the pass will have to wait.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I said to save often.
The manure container is in SCF and it is a wooden square in the middle of the field. Maybe find the special item there if you want after reading that mail from Clam.

Kiss someone for the level and then bother the hasty wizard for the speedrunning tactics. Go to Scarecrow Field and find out when Invisible Man takes his walks. Follow the Invisible Man (follow the question mark) around at various stop points and tank each hit he gives you when you talk to him. The reward is worth it after several beatings, if you have some healing items. Stock up on cheap heals if you can. Health tanking is important because you will get worn down and going to dad takes money and time you could spend kissing people.
Ah okay, I'll do that in the next video then.

Yeah, I think one problem is there's so much to do and a lot of it takes time. Like I still need to get some kisses from Long Life Town, but I've been so preoccupied with the other areas I just haven't gotten around to it. Don't even know when I'll tackle the Invisible Man.

Part 6 - More Kisses and Meeting an Alien

Well, some things are starting to come together...at least a bit. I've found the alien, and I'm pretty sure I'll need to buy that super-expensive computer to give to it given some of those translations from the rock face. I've gotten some of the money I need, and thankfully RNG has been nice to me and given me a lot of junk to pawn off between episodes. Don't have the slightest clue what to do with that little bell spirit that appears when I ring the bell, and I have a hunch I need to donate a certain amount of money before that monk does anything with me. I think I'm just going to keep focusing on getting more kisses, maybe next episode I'll get all, or at least most, of the remaining kisses from Long Life Town, since I've been neglecting doing that for a few episodes now. In fact, aside from saving up cash for the computer, I think I really should just get all the kisses I can from Underground Residents that I can access before doing anything else with the main story, or at least trying to.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The pass itself can be obtained at any time without making the game unwinnable as Jamesman got the train pass in his playthrough well before he even started that subplot and had no issues, he just received a redundant train ticket.

Like I said, it's a good idea to at least buy the pass as early as possible since otherwise you'll be spending a good chunk of your money on train tickets.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The manure pit is that partly covered well you keep avoiding.
It is great that new things are happening and every little thing to advance the plot messes with people's schedules.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - Kisses, Bathrooms, and Alarm Clocks

I make some pretty decent progress here, at least with kissing Underground Residents. I don't think I've kissed as many of them in one video before and I felt pretty drat satisfied. Still feel a bit annoyed at Pinch Poncho's minigame, but whatever. I've been having bad luck with the films, unfortunately. I kept finding poopies in the manure pit rather than the film, and none of the three I have gets any interesting reaction from Goro, and I'm wondering if maybe one of the ones from Cheapot's shop will do anything. I'm still going to want to focus on getting as many Underground Resident kisses as I can until I've got all the ones I can get without progressing in the main story. Should hopefully only take another video or two to get done.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think there is a sign near Julie's business that tell you more about Goro. Pixel hunt those buildings.
You can get run over by the monk's moped and it would hurt a lot.

• Locked thread