Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

dads friend steve posted:

For the longest time I thought Frieza was a lady

:same:

Frieza was voiced by a badass lady in Canada so really Frieza kinda was a woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

prolly the guy from db who traveled by chucking pillars into the distance and then jumping on to the pillar real fast

Lol, yeah, its this kind of stuff that I mean. All the physically impossible nonsense that goes on just because it's a cartoon and fully embraces it.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

esperterra posted:

:same:

Frieza was voiced by a badass lady in Canada so really Frieza kinda was a woman

Krillin agrees (also DBZA is objectively as good as the dub)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9R6DTY8JRM

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

prolly the guy from db who traveled by chucking pillars into the distance and then jumping on to the pillar real fast

Mercenary Tao was the best. He was a character in one of the Xbox Dragon Ball Z fighting games and watching him fly in on that pole was the greatest.

I grew up on YTV Dragon Ball/DBZ and it was always disappointing when they would revert back to the beginning because they ran out of translated episodes. I met a girl when I went to high school that had them on VHS tapes (I think her parents had satellite TV) and she would lend them to me to watch which had a lot of the later episodes. She'd also call me on the phone and talk for hours at a time and yet I never figured out that I should have probably asked her out. Ahh to be young and completely clueless again.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Mercenary Tao was the best. He was a character in one of the Xbox Dragon Ball Z fighting games and watching him fly in on that pole was the greatest.

I grew up on YTV Dragon Ball/DBZ and it was always disappointing when they would revert back to the beginning because they ran out of translated episodes. I met a girl when I went to high school that had them on VHS tapes (I think her parents had satellite TV) and she would lend them to me to watch which had a lot of the later episodes. She'd also call me on the phone and talk for hours at a time and yet I never figured out that I should have probably asked her out. Ahh to be young and completely clueless again.
At leas tyou got to watch some cool Dragon Ball out of it :shrug:

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

esperterra posted:

and a better grandpa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjGM6eLR5ZE

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

esperterra posted:

and a better grandpa

This is canon btw

https://youtu.be/UsRe1CpuLYw

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mr. satan is earth's greatest hero. it obviously isn't goku the mildly retarded fight addict.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

extra row of teeth posted:

Krillin agrees (also DBZA is objectively as good as the dub)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9R6DTY8JRM

frieza is an intergalactic drag queen and i love him and he is fabulous and i live for his melodrama

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

the dragon was cool.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Trunks looks like John Connor from T2

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Have any drag queens dressed like Frieza? Seems like something cool someone would have done.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dbz nerds seem to mostly keep to themselves unlike the naruto ones who do that ninja run in public

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I like Goku, op.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The lady who sneezes and starts blasting dudes with a machine gun.

And the fact that they had to change Mr. Satan's name for the american dub to Hercule Poirot and also wrote a bunch of tie in books where he solved mysteries.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It's the only anime I can mostly sit and watch with my family, and that includes the uncut Japanese episodes, and no one feels grossed out by it.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Gaunab posted:

Have any drag queens dressed like Frieza? Seems like something cool someone would have done.

You haven't even seen 1% of my power! *blinks and city explodes*

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
the part where gohan punches cell so hard that he pukes up android 18

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blast of Confetti posted:

dbz nerds seem to mostly keep to themselves unlike the naruto ones who do that ninja run in public

Me and my friends do kamehamehas in public

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Someone in the 90s making a ton of cash selling the PS1 DBZ game that came out and went out of print before the series became popular in the US.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Me and my friends do kamehamehas in public

I was swimming with my little sister a few days ago and we were totally kamehameha-splashing each other. It's just good legit fun.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

redm posted:

the part where gohan punches cell so hard that he pukes up android 18

legit. how the gently caress do you punch someone so hard they go walleyed

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It's a blatant rip-off of the Superman mythos and no one cares because it's FINALLY someone doing the Superman concept right.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'll tell you my least favorite thing.

Beams keep blasting off everyone's clothes, but somehow they keep having pants

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

ikanreed posted:

Subconsciously they focus their chi to protect their most vital body parts: Heads and reproductive organs. That's why their hair isn't blown clean off, too.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

It's a blatant rip-off of the Superman mythos and no one cares because it's FINALLY someone doing the Superman concept right.

But as if Superman was a moron. Remember, that Superman retains what he learns and can read at super human speeds. Meanwhile Goku can drool.

I'm in my first watch of the complete remastered version right now. I watched the usa TV release but never realized how much content they cut originally. I think I'm up to episode 157 and that was 112ish in the us version.

Fav moment so far is Ginyu frog. I like how he gathered a bunch of frogs like he was remaking the Ginyu force. Current ep has cell going after 17.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

ikanreed posted:

akira toriyama answered this in a fan corner. to paraphrase, if peoples pants started coming off it would turn into a different kind of manga

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
i just loving want naked goku to fight frieza. RRRGH!! *punches bed*

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
All of the non-canon movies are way better than the show

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was super into the way Capt. Ginyu casually tossed dudes into the stratosphere so I used to play a game where my friends and I would swim to the bottom of the pool like 7-8 feet down and then take turns throwing each other up to the surface.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

goku

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The best was Falconer's music score, especially any of Vegeta's themes

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My favorite thing about the franchise altogether, whether it was Toriyama writing the original and Z or overseeing both incarnations of Super is he doesn’t give a poo poo about power levels or plot.

The story goes that he exercises strict editorial control on one thing and one thing only: the jokes.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

The bit where cell goes to the TV station to announce the cell game is great

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

SleepySonata posted:

All of the non-canon movies are way better than the show

the broly movie rules. tree of might is legitimately a good movie on its own

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Eh, the movie villains don't have much personality and many of the plots feel like retreads of Z sagas.

That being said the 2 Super-era movies are cool and good and I can't wait for the new one, because maybe Toriyama will turn Broly into something besides a mongoloid screaming KAKAROOOOOOT :byodood:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

and the Superman mythos is a ripoff of a hundred things before it

Goku is the evolution of a thousand heroic strong men, the perfect killing machine

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vpnVcwiOtY

This is why Dragon Ball is Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pretend I posted a bunch of videos of the huge South American gatherings to watch the final episodes of Super.

A huge crowd of people marking out for Frieza and chanting his name is why DBZ is cool.

• Locked thread