Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Best part about this week is that the S3 soundtrack came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6C-K-OdpIo&t=3560s

loving god it's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I love our island prison queen and her dead demon girlfriend.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Season 4 announced, will air Fall next year.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Exia posted:

Season 4 announced, will air Fall next year.

Still WIT??? :sweatdrop:

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

No word on the studio, just that it will still air on NHK, it’s the final season, and it premieres Fall next year.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Exia posted:

No word on the studio, just that it will still air on NHK, it’s the final season, and it premieres Fall next year.

:monocle:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The series is wrapping up soon.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What chapter does the anime end on? I'd like to start reading after it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Well, poo poo. I hadn't even thought about that. Surely they'll do the whole thing?

Anime that exist only to sell manga tend to stop after one or two seasons.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I’m sure that’s a joke

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

I’m sure that’s a joke

Thank you. I'm still new to watching anime as they air.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The manga is rapidly approaching a natural endpoint so this is actually a case of the anime spoiling the manga (or confirming that the manga is ending soon).

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What chapter does the anime end on? I'd like to start reading after it.

Season 3 ends on chapter 90

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Eej posted:

The manga is rapidly approaching a natural endpoint so this is actually a case of the anime spoiling the manga (or confirming that the manga is ending soon).

Eh they confirmed the manga was on the final arc months ago

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Is there no new ep this week? :ohdear:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Donnerberg posted:

Thank you. I'm still new to watching anime as they air.

Np. Anime original endings are an awful thing that happens but very rarely when there is original material to go off of. The pace and spacing of the Wit adaptation makes it pretty clear, knock on wood, that they’ll sticking close to the source material til the end. Even if it is changing studios for the last season.

So, anyone got any good examples of this turning out well? The only one that comes to mind is full metal panic.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Is there no new ep this week? :ohdear:

It doesn’t drop til 7:45 cst.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

DamnGlitch posted:

Np. Anime original endings are an awful thing that happens but very rarely when there is original material to go off of. The pace and spacing of the Wit adaptation makes it pretty clear, knock on wood, that they’ll sticking close to the source material til the end. Even if it is changing studios for the last season.

So, anyone got any good examples of this turning out well? The only one that comes to mind is full metal panic.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood ended roughly in sync with the manga and the studio got notes on the ending to make sure it meshed up. The original FMA anime explicitly got permission to go veer off and do their own thing since they had no chance ever of doing anything in sync with the manga or finishing it up, so they didn't even try and just went off wildly around the point where Greed is introduced. One benefit to that was the slower early pace letting them spend more time on emotional gut punches like Nina and Hughes though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zebulon posted:

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Fma brotherhood was explicitly a remake with the intention of following the manga ending after it had finished, and by the same studio (bones). So, that doesn’t really count.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

DamnGlitch posted:

So, anyone got any good examples of this turning out well?

You mean a studio change turning out well? High School DxD and Hayate the Combat Butler.

Full Metal Panic most certainly didn't.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
I really enjoyed Trigun and Kekkai Sensen S1’s endings

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

You mean a studio change turning out well? High School DxD and Hayate the Combat Butler.

Full Metal Panic most certainly didn't.

The first season of fmp was gonzo and started fine but turned lovely real quick, as is gonzos trademark. Fmp s2 was under studio Kyoto, quite good, as was fumafu which is or was very well received.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DamnGlitch posted:

The first season of fmp was gonzo and started fine but turned lovely real quick, as is gonzos trademark. Fmp s2 was under studio Kyoto, quite good, as was fumafu which is or was very well received.

Ah, yes, I forgot S1 was by Gonzo. It was mostly okay.

The kyoani stuff was good.

But 13 years later someone took a monkey's paw and wished for a new season of FMP, and we got Invisible Victory by Xebec.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DamnGlitch posted:

It doesn’t drop til 7:45 cst.

sittin' here tappin' my veins like :sweatdrop:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

DamnGlitch posted:

Fma brotherhood was explicitly a remake with the intention of following the manga ending after it had finished, and by the same studio (bones). So, that doesn’t really count.

Oh, wow. I misunderstood things entirely. Thought it was about shows based on mangas trying to do their own endings, not studio switching. Sorry about that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The episode came out.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That was a somber end to an amazing season.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And that's why Eren was never invited to another beach party ever again

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SpartanIvy posted:

That was a somber end to an amazing season.

I like how they visibly aged the main cast...especially since we found out they're all ~15 in the last ep. :stare:

I'm glad Eren's grown enough to get :psyboom:'d by ~the sea~ and the realization that the best he can ever hope for now is to expand his gilded cage...not just a somber finale, but depressing, despite the upbeat nature of the beach party.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The events with the Reiss family snuffed out the focused rage that drove him, but still he had childhood dreams and promises to look up to.

The basement took that from him.

Now he has a past filled with regrets and horrors not even his own, and ahead a short life whose only certainty is violence.

Because he knows. Better than anyone, he knows what lies beyond that ocean... and as he looks towards the horizon, in anguish and wishing he could doubt himself he voices what deep down he knows he must to do.

He'll fight. Even if it's painful, even if it's hopeless. Even if there's no future for him.

He'll keep moving forward.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Not everything shown in episode 49's credits got explained. That's kind of interesting.

It's gonna be tough waiting for next season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Join usssssss in the manga threaaadddd

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I honestly think the moment where he asks if they kill everyone across the ocean then they'll be free is perhaps the best ending to the series possible. I certainly haven't kept up with the manga since a few chapters after it.

it just feels like the perfect thematic end to the work.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Captain Invictus posted:

Join usssssss in the manga threaaadddd

I did, and regret nothing.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

This scene was more confusing than the shots in the ending.

It's one thing if memories are detached from time, but this messes with the continuity as we know it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This half-season(?) has been pretty stellar and that was a good note to end it on.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Donnerberg posted:

This scene was more confusing than the shots in the ending.

It's one thing if memories are detached from time, but this messes with the continuity as we know it.

Isn't that just them reading about the huge sea next to a small lake?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

Isn't that just them reading about the huge sea next to a small lake?

The river, actually, the same that served as the evacuation route for the townsfolk after Bert and Ernie breached the walls.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 1, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's probably the river/canal that goes through their town.

Edit: goddamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
As for the "final" season starting next year. That doesn't necessarily mean they're going to air it all at once. If they start airing in October of next year, that's at least another 12 chapters before the season starts. Everyone figures there's probably around close to that before the manga ends anyway, and if it's not yet ended, they just do what they did this season, take a 4-5 month break. So the second half of the final season would air in summer 2021. By that point the manga will probably be over.