Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

:siren:MANGA THREAD THIS WAY:siren:

Season 3 of Attack on Titan premiered today, check it out if you haven't.

Tag anything that might be remotely construed as a spoiler. Try to avoid wink-wink nudge-nudge poo poo about stuff we haven't seen.

E: if you absolutely must post manga spoilers for some reason, clearly tag them as such. Try not to post stuff that's wildly out of context

Please don't import fan-theories from reddit (these frequently end up being a manga reader posting spoilers disguised as a "theory")

JahRoo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Been seeing a lot of people online who dislike this season's OP but I thought it was awesome.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The op is good.

Also I forgot about the whole Armin getting molested thing, and I still don't know why it's there in the first place

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I wonder if s3 will also be paced like a sports anime

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
I’m really curious about how the anime handles this first half. I personally enjoyed this story arc, but it’s pacing was pretty all over the place.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like the OP, but I can certainly see why it gave people whiplash.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I have no idea what's going on but I think I like it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sindai posted:

I like the OP, but I can certainly see why it gave people whiplash.

Maybe the second half will go back to the fascist rage screaming, because that OP is way too mellow for this angry series, especially going forward. It's more like what I'd expect over the end credits.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'm glad they broke the streak of "trying to recreate the magic of the first OP" because they were getting lame. I wasn't fond of sasageyo.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm glad they broke the streak of "trying to recreate the magic of the first OP" because they were getting lame. I wasn't fond of sasageyo.

Speak for yourself, I found the lyrics in particular deliciously ironic. The full version in particular is my favorite Aot OP so far.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

The op is good.

Also I forgot about the whole Armin getting molested thing, and I still don't know why it's there in the first place

Have you ever been to Pixiv to look up fanart for Attack on Titan? I did a few times, and I've never been back. There are a LOT of sex weirds in the Japanese fandom who decided that Armin was going to be the focus of that kind of fetish, long ago even before that scene. The author, Hajime Isayama, has been pretty outspoken against creepy anime culture poo poo before. Often in a funny way, saying things like, "Well, I really sat down and thought a lot about Moe, and how I felt about it, and that's how I came up with Mikasa"
I read that scene as a giant hilarious gently caress YOU. Just like that scene that comes later that's a giant gently caress YOU to people who thought the series was a call to return to militaristic Japanese Nationalism. You know the one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Exia posted:

I’m really curious about how the anime handles this first half. I personally enjoyed this story arc, but it’s pacing was pretty all over the place.

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/03/22/attack-on-titan-season-3-hype-hajime-isayama-uprising/

“After writing Volume 12, in the period between 13 and 16 was when I felt the most disappointed with my work,” Isayama admitted. “Hopefully, now that season 3 is being made, I’ll have the chance to wipe away that regret and replace it with something I’m proud of.”

So at the very least it'll be interesting to play Spot the Differences.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Queering Wheel posted:

Been seeing a lot of people online who dislike this season's OP but I thought it was awesome.

It's a nice throwback to the past when the only enemy was the titans, almost peaceful compared to before RBA attacks and now the central military. I love the changes to the pacing so far.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 23, 2018

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Terper posted:

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/03/22/attack-on-titan-season-3-hype-hajime-isayama-uprising/

“After writing Volume 12, in the period between 13 and 16 was when I felt the most disappointed with my work,” Isayama admitted. “Hopefully, now that season 3 is being made, I’ll have the chance to wipe away that regret and replace it with something I’m proud of.”

So at the very least it'll be interesting to play Spot the Differences.

e: I'm dumb and thought this was manga thread.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 23, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

It's a nice throwback to the past when the only enemy was the titans, almost peaceful compared to before RBA attacks and now the central military. I love the changes to the pacing so far. some pretty big spoilers that I just now edited out!

as someone who has not read the manga, this seems like the kind of thing that shouldn't be in the anime thread, even under a spoiler.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 23, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, that appears to be a list of random spoilers with no context or warning. Thankfully it doesn't mean anything to me now, but it isn't cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol it only took 13 posts, a new record?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

First ep of the new season and they already kill off BLANK

blonde guy who always had goggles on, who was in Hange’s squad

I dunno if he had a name he had quite a few appearances

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
He has a name in the reference materials, but everyone called him Goggles.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I rewatched the end of season 2 recently, and I assumed that we were not going to the basement this season, but the open shot with an older Eren makes me wonder if we might actually get there.

My (nearly) blind guesses, based on the trailer, promotional art, and (now) opening:
  • Mikasa and Armin will take a back seat to Levi and Historia, at least for the first half of the season
  • Erwin is going to die on their next big battle outside the walls, which will probably be the climax of the back half of the season
  • Bertolt is going to die in the same battle (his regret in the last few episodes of season 2 looked like death flags to me)
  • If we get any more of the Beast Titan, it will also happen in the back half
  • They set out for the basement (very end of the season?)
Feel free to laugh at me when Bertolt doesn't even show up.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

as someone who has not read the manga, this seems like the kind of thing that shouldn't be in the anime thread, even under a spoiler.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, that appears to be a list of random spoilers with no context or warning. Thankfully it doesn't mean anything to me now, but it isn't cool.

Captain Invictus posted:

lol it only took 13 posts, a new record?

Please do not post about spoilers again. Either PM me or use the report feature.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Sorry again about those spoilers, felt bad about it all day. Got my tabs mixed up and thought I was responding to posts in the manga thread. Will triple-check next time.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Sub Harrison posted:

Sorry again about those spoilers, felt bad about it all day. Got my tabs mixed up and thought I was responding to posts in the manga thread. Will triple-check next time.

So yeah, for anyone who's already watched the latest episode, I've been waiting ~4 years for the cross-dressing Armin gambit to be conveyed in animated form.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
They didn't even put any Titans in the OP. Excellent.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The OP is a great whiplash for how much the genre of this series changed focus over arcs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There's something about this season's first episode that feels kinda lackluster compared to the first episodes of seasons 1 and 2. I think it's the people murdering other people. It seems almost mundane compared to titan murders.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I wanted more fascist OPs

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Radiohead was fine, but no Jiyuu no Tsubasa.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm real sad that Season 3's OP is just the most boring poo poo. I'm too used to the show's openers being super hype and so good that they're fun to listen to away from the anime. This one's just a snoozer. gently caress it, I'll edit this post and keep going in order to add that the composition of the first 3 OPs is elegant, talented, and skillful in a way that was unique, surprising, and energetic. It wasn't just cool music for a cool anime opening, it was just plain good music. The new OP just sounds like the same trash you'd hear in 80%-90% of other animes. Bleh!

That being said, I'm real mad that the best, most giffable clip in the episode is covered in loving end credits. Come the gently caress on. :(

Anyway, plot looks to be moving real fast, so I'm at least happy about that.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 24, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The music in the first aot ops were also fascist

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

At least it had an ethos.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The OP is nice but it could use atleast a couple scenes of fighting.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Captain Invictus posted:

I never read the lyrics and don't understand Japanese so like.. just replace the lyrics to not be fascist and we're good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to know in what manner they were fascist

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

ninjewtsu posted:

No you don't, really

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They were all* about 'sacrificing yourself (sasageyo) for the cause', 'exterminate them all', 'fight the monsters'.

And now that we're fighting humans, the characters realize "oh gosh this is bad" and that bombastic freedom fighting against an unknowable enemy is gone and all the characters can do is look back on who they were and where they're going and question 'what's the truth, what's the lie, what to believe'.

*they weren't all about that, and aot does not promote fascism, in fact it hates it

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i'm sure someone could interpret jam project lyrics from super robot war games to be fascist if they wanted to ("GOD DEFEATS THEM ALL!" "SOMEBODY GIMME THE POWER!" "CRUSH ANYONE WHO BLOCKS THE WAY FORWARD AND PRESS ON!") so i wouldn't worry too much about it

That being said, I was kind of expecting a more spooky mysterious vibe from the OP since this is basically the cloak and dagger chapter of the story, not this contemplative stuff. More X-Files or Mission Impossible, less mellow montage of characters looking wistful

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

aot season 3 - :clint:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ninjewtsu posted:

quote:

They are the food and we are the hunters!

Crimson Bow and Arrow

Not knowing the name of the trampled flower
Birds that have fallen from the sky tire of waiting upon the wind
Prayers won't change anything
Only the resolve to fight can change the present

You pigs who sneer at our will to step over corpses and march onwards
Enjoy the peace of livestock false prosperity "freedom" of the dying wolves that hunger!

The humiliation of entrapment is our cue to counterattack
Beyond the castle walls lies a hunter killing his prey
With a surging killer impulse scorching his body, he pierces the dusk scarlet
With a crimson arrow

Drawing his bow, he takes after his target; he won't let it escape
Releasing his arrow, he closes upon it; he won't let it escape
He bends his bow to its limits, the string on the verge of snapping
He'll release it, time and time again, until his target draws its last breath

What truly kills a prey are not tools nor your skills at using it
But your own sharp killing intent

We are the hunter -> passionate as flames!
We are the hunter -> cold as ice!
We are the hunter -> pour your heart and soul into your arrow!
We are the hunter -> boldly go forth and pierce through everything!

Attack on the Titans.
The boy from back then will soon take up the sword.
Who only laments his powerlessness won't be able to change anything.
The boy from back then will soon take up the black sword.
Hate and rage are a double-edged blade.
Soon, one day, he will bare his fangs against fate.

Ones that could hope to change anything
Are ones who could bear to abandon anything
Without bearing any risk at all, how could you hope to attain anything?

Foolish assumptions they are but mere phantasms right now, we could do with even reckless courage
The advance guards of freedom betting on their offensive
Victory to the charging slaves!

All this absurdity forced upon us are our cue to attack
Deprived of his horizon, Eren yearns for freedom
With relentless killer impulse assailing his body, he carries violet to dusk-
With an arrow from Hades

Can anyone explain the obsession with German language/names? If it is some spoiler nonsense that makes sense later, you can just say it gets addressed, but is it a WWII leftover thing or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Can anyone explain the obsession with German language/names? If it is some spoiler nonsense that makes sense later, you can just say it gets addressed, but is it a WWII leftover thing or what?

Japan took a lot of influences from Germany when the gov't started its modernization and industrialization campaign. The Japanese educational system, for example, was lifted whole cloth from the German model. There's long been a strain of Krautaboo in Japanese culture as a result.