Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

We finally get to see the Beast Titan's face, and it doesn't give us any new information. I can't even figure out if he's closer in age to Grisha or Eren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Maera Sior posted:

We finally get to see the Beast Titan's face, and it doesn't give us any new information. I can't even figure out if he's closer in age to Grisha or Eren.

Dude fo'sho has a bowflex tho... :stare:

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
He might be Erwin's dad, assuming he was merely disappeared and not killed.

I'm basing my assumption solely on the blonde hair and glasses.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

We finally get to see the Beast Titan's face, and it doesn't give us any new information

This was the first chapter to confirm furious george was human, but the anime version showed this earlier.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Looks like Armored Titan got destroyed by Beast Man, so he's pretty buff indeed.

Last time we saw R&B they were going "home" with Ymir, right? Now they're waiting in the destroyed city after have a slight disagreement in plans.

I wonder why Historia doesn't have the weird eyes her dad/uncle had. And what are they going to do with that Titan fluid I wonder (that only makes you a "dumb titan", not an abnormal apparently)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Alan_Shore posted:

I wonder why Historia doesn't have the weird eyes her dad/uncle had.

She didn't inherit their power because Eren has it. She would have if she had eaten him.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Oh hey, without the voice modulation, beast titan guy sounds a lot like dio.

This bodes well, I think.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Kassad posted:

She didn't inherit their power because Eren has it. She would have if she had eaten him.

So who did Rodd eat? And what power did he have? drat there's a lot to keep track of here.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Rod ate nobody, and had no power.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's right, but he got them funny eyes though

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
He certainly had quite a vacant look there at the end.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Alan_Shore posted:

I wonder why Historia doesn't have the weird eyes her dad/uncle had. And what are they going to do with that Titan fluid I wonder (that only makes you a "dumb titan", not an abnormal apparently)

From what Kenny said, I think you become an abnormal if the fluid isn't injected properly.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Alan_Shore posted:

And what are they going to do with that Titan fluid I wonder (that only makes you a "dumb titan", not an abnormal apparently)
Abnormals are a type of dumb titan, they're just called that because they don't behave like they normally do. Rod's titan ignored the scouts near him in favor of beelining for the nearest city, so he was classified as abnormal.

Smart titans/titan shifters are a different category. As far as we know the only way to become one is to first get injected and become a dumb titan, then eat an existing one.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sindai posted:

Abnormals are a type of dumb titan, they're just called that because they don't behave like they normally do. Rod's titan ignored the scouts near him in favor of beelining for the nearest city, so he was classified as abnormal.

Smart titans/titan shifters are a different category. As far as we know the only way to become one is to first get injected and become a dumb titan, then eat an existing one.

Given the ritual in the royal hall, it seems becoming a dumb titan and then eating a shifter is the only way full stop. If there was an easier way, I imagine the First King would’ve avoided being gruesomely murdered each cycle.
:shrug:

Also, one of the things ~mai Wife~ and I always discuss is “who is narrating.” The voiceovers take on a first person tone. Where it would be easier to write it as a disassociated, omnipotent narrator, they constantly put the narrator into the story by saying things like “that day, we knew we could win.” Using “we” instead of “they” seems intentional when it happens, so we have always theorized that the narrator is one of the characters.

It’s been between Armin and Mikasa for a while, but immunity to the memory-power makes Mikasa the most likely, IMO.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's another interesting point, poor Armin and Mikase have taken a serious back seat this season.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Well, it can't be the literal only way, since shifters have to have come from somewhere. It can't be turtles all the way down. But presumably it's the only way available to people within the walls. Whether it's also the only way available to those outside the walls (and the ability to make completely new shifters is lost forever) is somewhat unclear. But it might be possible to infer something from what we've seen?

Reiner & co got sent on a mission from Somewhere to... do something, it's not entirely clear, but their objectives involve either destroying all the walls or just recovering the Coordinate. Presumably, whoever sent them (Monkey Trouble himself? Someone else they both work for? The city we saw in Ymir's flashback?) wants these things to happen but has at best a very limited ability to create shifters seeing as otherwise why didn't they send four hundered shifters instead of four? On the other hand, there's some reason they waited a hundred years before attacking, especially if they didn't know Grisha had stolen the coordinate (which Reiner & Berthold at least didn't know for certain). Finally, why did they send Reiner, Berthold, and Annie specifically? Child soldiers are not, in general, amazingly good troops and if you're only sending four people you presumably want to send four of your absolute elite. Why not four experienced killers like Kenny?

Maybe they can't create new shifters at all and are just recycling the ones they have.
Maybe they can, but it takes a long time or uses up some very rare resource and so they can only create them on the order of once every few decades - hence it's taken them ages to build up enough to send Reiner & co.
Maybe they can make as many shifters as they like but they have a shortage of people to actually turn into shifters - or a shortage of people with the right bloodline?

obviously we don't have enough information to know for sure, this is really just me laying out my thoughts.

Unrelatedly, I was really interested to see the huge underground city that Levi grew up in. Was that something we'd already seen?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
They mentioned shoving the refugees into huge, underground cities after the outer wall fell in S1, but it’s only been mentioned in passing once or twice since.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Does anyone have a link to last season's thread? I made a bunch of predictions I want to see.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Does anyone have a link to last season's thread? I made a bunch of predictions I want to see.

Here you go homie.

a computing pun posted:

Unrelatedly, I was really interested to see the huge underground city that Levi grew up in. Was that something we'd already seen?

As previously said, it had been mentioned in passing a couple times through the series, most prominently as a gathering point for Wall Rose citizens following the Monkey Business incursion.

It's a central location in Levi's OVA (Attack on Titan: No Regrets).

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm really excited to see more Monkey Trouble animated this season, he's great.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was behind, the warning in the Adult Swim thread told me I need to catch up to at least episode 6. I just finished.

:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The underground city seemed huge and pretty safe. They should all just chill down there

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

The underground city seemed huge and pretty safe. They should all just chill down there
How do you feel about rickets?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Alan_Shore posted:

I feel like that would be a good place for a final stand against any dumb titan attack. I'm not as sure about it being safe against shifters with all the vulnerable pillars being around.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

There are several problems with that, but the most significant one is that you can't grow food underground.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Gantolandon posted:

There are several problems with that, but the most significant one is that you can't grow food underground.

What about Hydroponics or Aquaponics? You only need artificial light.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Then you need the industrial infrastructure for large scale electricity generation and distribution.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Given the ritual in the royal hall, it seems becoming a dumb titan and then eating a shifter is the only way full stop. If there was an easier way, I imagine the First King would’ve avoided being gruesomely murdered each cycle.
:shrug:

I'm under the impression that it could be possible to go from human to shifter, because how do you get bottles of titan fluid in the first place? Especially specific bottles like the one labeled "armor". What if a normal person had injected just the armor bottle? Would they have become a dumb titan, would they have made the jump from human to shifter, or would nothing happen?

I'm going to guess that the reiss family chose to have succession via the dumb titan bite method because they both had to protect the coordinate ability and pass on the first's will. There was only their hubris stopping them from putting these abilities into glass bottles.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Gantolandon posted:

This is a ~*plump helmet seed pancake*~ it menaces with spikes of dwarven syrup.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

How many more eps are there

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Fourteen. It's a 24 episode season.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Apparently there's an absence of episodes scheduled after episode 12. I hope it's just a break for a couple of weeks and not a year.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Beefstew posted:

Apparently there's an absence of episodes scheduled after episode 12. I hope it's just a break for a couple of weeks and not a year.

I thought they said it would be a straight-through run... :ohdear:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm under the impression that it could be possible to go from human to shifter, because how do you get bottles of titan fluid in the first place? Especially specific bottles like the one labeled "armor". What if a normal person had injected just the armor bottle? Would they have become a dumb titan, would they have made the jump from human to shifter, or would nothing happen?

I'm going to guess that the reiss family chose to have succession via the dumb titan bite method because they both had to protect the coordinate ability and pass on the first's will. There was only their hubris stopping them from putting these abilities into glass bottles.

The bottle determines if your dumb titan form gets any special abilities. You'd still have to eat a shifter to become sentient. Reiss probably sucked up a bottle labeled "colossal" but he was still a dumb titan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Makes you wonder if Annie also drank an 'Armor' bottle, or if her hardening was an innate ability.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
No new episode this week. Eat a dick, typhoon.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Aumanor posted:

No new episode this week. Eat a dick, typhoon.

gently caress this, whoever puts the show on the air. I saw a new post and was like "yay, they uploaded the ep."

Then I checked Hulu and was :smith:

edit: Oh I looked up why and now I feel lovely:
https://twitter.com/ramadhaniep/status/1045651327550812160

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 1, 2018

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
That is horrible, but they're delaying for the typhoon that's running straight through the length of Japan.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

On the bright side (of the delay, not the typhoon) if there was ever a time for a break, it's now. Pretty sure (based on the preview) this is exactly where the second half of the season starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

DaveKap posted:

On the bright side (of the delay, not the typhoon) if there was ever a time for a break, it's now. Pretty sure (based on the preview) this is exactly where the second half of the season starts.

:neckbeard: I hope they have a new opening and ending to watch!