Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Shockingly He is still perfectly reasonable and supportive. He just has a really nasty side to nobles he hates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Queering Wheel posted:

I cannot believe they put THAT scene in.

I've been waiting for 4 years to see if they'd actually put it in, and to see reaction videos. :getin: It's hard to tell people without giving much away, "yeah, that show has parts that get even darker as it goes along. No, I mean, I'm sure you THINK that naked monster giants eating hopeless people is about as far as you need to prepare your mind for, but just, uh, keep an open mind on that..."
Not that I like the scene, I actually find it quite shocking and disgusting. It's arguably the worst scene in Attack on Titan, which is quite the honor. And it's barely defensible as being important enough to the atmosphere of the arc that it should stay in.
After the anime started up again last year, it's been really hard to keep a straight face when people start bringing up that argument about whether or not Attack on Titan is pro Japanese fascism again, knowing that's where the story goes with it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Catalina posted:

After the anime started up again last year, it's been really hard to keep a straight face when people start bringing up that argument about whether or not Attack on Titan is pro Japanese fascism again, knowing that's where the story goes with it.
Honestly that argument should have been completely put to rest after last season literally humanizes the monstrous Other.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Well, that sure was an infodump, but now I have a bunch more questions that won't probably won't be answered for a few more weeks.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
W...wait...y'all are fixated on the solo-human-centipede and not the fact that Grisha murdered the royal family and then committed suicide-by-son after injecting Eren with Ymir-style titan-juice?
:stonk:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

W...wait...y'all are fixated on the solo-human-centipede and not the fact that Grisha murdered the royal family and then committed suicide-by-son after injecting Eren with Ymir-style titan-juice?

"Anime dad is awful" is a common thing in anime, no one can get shocked by it anymore. The other thing is...uhh...well it certainly is a thing that anime doesn't show often. And it shouldn't. Like, I'd be perfectly okay never seeing it again, to be completely honest with you all.

Like holy poo poo I knew he wasn't exactly mentally stable but that's way beyond what revenge allows.

Pyxis basically pointing out "you're a cowardly poo poo, he's a very hosed up poo poo, but you're still humanity's best hope and I actually care for humanity" was great though. Pyxis is so good.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I mean, I know logically that you're right, but It's been 4 years for me as manga reader. They were both loving horrifying, but there's just so much horrible titan-related fuckery that is like a matryoska doll of horribleness that has happened, (and obviously that will happen) In contrast, the poo poo machine REALLY sticks out as disgusting, shocking, and COMPLETELY unexpected, in a story that is harsh but fair with it's shocking scenes.
Put another way, I guess you could also say that people were expecting that Grisha was eaten by Eren, even though that wasn't my particular theory at the time, due to the fact that Santa Titan ate Eren and didn't become a shifter but uh, no one was expecting THAT.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The first part of that came in from the last episode, the third part was obvious from season 2, and the second part is up for debate. The bit with Zackly came out of nowhere.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not shocked that Zachary is a vengeful sociopath, it's inevitable that new persons coming to power will have something broken about them. His level of broken is kinda up there though.

I am upset that mind-erasing powers are real. It's lazy writing, nearly on the level of naruto bullshit powers, and makes it so any plot holes are conveniently covered up by missing memories, which is such bullshit.

Eren's dad's titan form looked pretty good though. Is it just a coincidence his form has proportions similar to grape ape?

And now we have Kenny possibly pulling some revolutionary poo poo, which probably has something to do with being forced underground for so long or being persecuted as a descendant of the king's guard.

Finally, remember back in the first season thread, how we were wondering what was up with Mikasa having explosive energy kinda like a titan? I knew it couldn't just be artistic liberty.

Pretty information dense episode. I hope Eren had ALL his memory unlocked and not just what Reiss wanted him to see, because somewhere in there is going to be his father's reason for pulling this huge stunt in the first place.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I am upset that mind-erasing powers are real. It's lazy writing, nearly on the level of naruto bullshit powers, and makes it so any plot holes are conveniently covered up by missing memories, which is such bullshit.

It's hard to cover plot holes with mind-wipe, because there are already plenty of characters who are immune.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I want to get off Zachary’s “wild ride” !!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why is everyone spoil tagging things that just got released in the show?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Usually, I try to keep what happened in the latest episode spoiler-tagged so as to not spoil someone that, unwisely, comes into the thread without having watched said latest episode. Anything before that is fair game though.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Big reveals and an uneven rollout of airdates mean it's generally polite to spoiler for a day or two after airing. I doubt anyone would report you for not doing so, it's just a nice, goony thing to do.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Eren's dad's titan form looked pretty good though. Is it just a coincidence his form has proportions similar to grape ape?
I guessed they were family with the reveal at the end of season 2 (same type of glasses, possibly the same build), but this is much more informative. They're definitely closely related.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

That scene was weird and gross. If it's necessary to the story then, uh, maybe tell a different story.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shockingly He is still perfectly reasonable and supportive. He just has a really nasty side to nobles he hates

Just wait until you see his sentencing and prison reforms.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Freakazoid_ posted:

The trick Isayama pulls is lulling the audience into taking things for granted, then revealing his apparently incongruous story elements have concise and logically consistent explanations. Like how Mikasa had a sudden personality shift and got super strong as a child, or why Bertold just kicked a hole through the gate at Shiganshina/Trost then disappeared.

In the case of the mind control powers, they've only been used twice, and to good effect. The first is one of the cornerstones of the setting: the Crown used their power to conceal the nature of the walls and the titans, and muddle the history of the world prior to humanity taking refuge inside their walled kingdom. The story itself lampshades that there could only be a supernatural explanation behind the 'official' lore of the world given the enormous size of the conspiracy that'd otherwise be required (millions of people agreeing to and successfully hiding history from their children), and this was it.

And likewise, it's shown how this ability to alter memories is neither perfect nor was it enough on its own to create the world the Crown desired, with the exceptions handled as it'd logically be expected to: those immune to this power were elevated to nobility in exchange for their cooperation, those immune who didn't fall in line were prosecuted (nearly) to extinction, and the secret police was created to brutally (yet discreetly) suppress human innovation and attempts to discover the secrets of the world.

The second adds a little more depth to Historia's character, and contributes to shaking her up emotionally as much as Eren is right now. It's not actually important to the plot, but it sets her up to be as much of a tragic victim of the Power of the Titans as Eren is through parallelism.

Historia discovers there was actually someone in this whole world who was family and loved her, a person who manipulated her due to her own motives, and is now dead.

Eren discovers that the father who he thought abandoned him didn't actually forget about him, but rather with tears in his eyes forced the crushing weight of his secret motives and sins on him, then died by Eren's own hand.

I thin that's pretty decent.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Conspiratiorist posted:

I thin that's pretty decent.

I feel like unless I missed something in the last episode they never fully explained any of the things you mention. They left the Mikasa power stuff sorta ambiguous, also they never mentioned Bertold.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 27, 2018

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I feel like unless I missed something in the last episode they never fully explained any of the things you mention. They left the Mikasa power stuff sorta ambiguous, also they never mentioned Bertold.

The episode didn’t mention Bert specifically, that poster just means that the reappearing/disappearing colossal titan is later revealed to be a shifter and it’s not an inconsistency or plot hole, but rather something that is left open and explained later.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Yeah there’s another one that hasn’t been explained yet, but I haven’t seen many people bring up as an inconsistency yet, at least in this thread.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

theCalamity posted:

Yeah there’s another one that hasn’t been explained yet, but I haven’t seen many people bring up as an inconsistency yet, at least in this thread.

Well, I think it's ridiculous that Reiner could somehow carve characters with his swords on Annie's hands, but that will remain just my problem.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Did you ever wonder why the Colossal Titan kicked a hole through the outer gates then disappeared, relying on the Armored Titan to blow through the inner district gate, as opposed to just marching through and doing both sections in himself? Or hell, entirely sidestepping the districts and breaking down an unprotected part of the wall instead?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nope

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

What do we find out the walls, except for the little bits where the gates are placed, are full of?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Conspiratiorist posted:

What do we find out the walls, except for the little bits where the gates are placed, are full of?

You may want to watch the ending sequence of season 1 again.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Lamebot posted:

You may want to watch the ending sequence of season 1 again.

Yes, that's precisely what I'm getting at.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Maera Sior posted:

Well, I think it's ridiculous that Reiner could somehow carve characters with his swords on Annie's hands, but that will remain just my problem.

All he needed was the AoT alphabet version of a direction, like for instance just "E" for east. It's a little bit of a stretch because he'd be in confined space, but it's not like he had to write an essay. This is all assuming they had the whole sword carving thing planned as a back-up. Otherwise a random letter would mean fuckall to Annie and he would have to make a message.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 28, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Zachary seems pretty loving skeevy, but at least he's directing that energy in a positive direction, namely, the rich.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Am I the only one amused at the fact that people Eren is worried about the most are (in following order): Levi, Armin, the rest of the Scouts?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Did you ever wonder why the Colossal Titan kicked a hole through the outer gates then disappeared, relying on the Armored Titan to blow through the inner district gate, as opposed to just marching through and doing both sections in himself? Or hell, entirely sidestepping the districts and breaking down an unprotected part of the wall instead?

My assumption was that it wasn't possible to break down another part of the wall easily? And that being inside the wall with a swarm of dudes in 3D gear swarming around you might be really problematic for your survival chances?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The walls outside the gates are all but abandoned so you wouldn't have to worry about any scout response. If the walls were attacked and a hole made it would take at least a day for the scouts to find it, as that's exactly what happens in season 2. Although there actually wasn't a hole, to everyone's surprise.

I have a feeling the walls aren't attacked because they're basically indestructible under the brick facade, or outsiders look at the Titans in the walls as victims and and that going through the wall would be cruel to them.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

The walls outside the gates are all but abandoned so you wouldn't have to worry about any scout response. If the walls were attacked and a hole made it would take at least a day for the scouts to find it, as that's exactly what happens in season 2. Although there actually wasn't a hole, to everyone's surprise.

I have a feeling the walls aren't attacked because they're basically indestructible under the brick facade, or outsiders look at the Titans in the walls as victims and and that going through the wall would be cruel to them.

Or maybe they don't want the wall Titans waking up for some reason.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

All he needed was the AoT alphabet version of a direction, like for instance just "E" for east. It's a little bit of a stretch because he'd be in confined space, but it's not like he had to write an essay. This is all assuming they had the whole sword carving thing planned as a back-up. Otherwise a random letter would mean fuckall to Annie and he would have to make a message.
It sure looked like he didn't have any space to move his arms; if there was, the gambit wouldn't have been effective.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Besides, the Colossal Titan is not very maneuverable and a juicy target for guns and opportunistic defenders. If he actually entered Shiganshina, he would be vulnerable to attack from all sides. The Armored Titan is faster and, well, armored.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Gantolandon posted:

Am I the only one amused at the fact that people Eren is worried about the most are (in following order): Levi, Armin, the rest of the Scouts?

Eren never worries about Mikasa. I'd guess he just assumes she'll survive whatever they throw at her. So far she's got a pretty good track record there.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 28, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Gantolandon posted:

Besides, the Colossal Titan is not very maneuverable and a juicy target for guns and opportunistic defenders. If he actually entered Shiganshina, he would be vulnerable to attack from all sides.

I distinctly recall that not working out too well for the scouts last time.

Gantolandon posted:

No, it's great. Levi drilled the Fear of God so hard in him that he's become the most important person in his life after Armin and Mikasa.

And yeah, he never worries about Mikasa.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Kyte posted:

Eren never worries about Mikasa. I'd guess he just assumes she'll survive whatever they throw at her. So far she's got a pretty good track record there.

He takes her for granted. I hope one day she sees John/Jean/Gian.

(before he is inevitably killed with everyone else) :unsmith::hf::smith:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I distinctly recall that not working out too well for the scouts last time.

The last time they fought the Colossal Titan, it was on the wall. Berthold was positioned to have all scouts before him. He stood on the wall, so they had nothing to anchor into besides the Colossal Titan itself. Even then he mostly concentrated on stalling them and giving Reiner time to defeat Eren.

In case if he had entered Shiganshina, there would have been plenty of buildings the soldiers could use to maneuver, including a wall bigger than the one encircling the emplacement. There would also be an enormous amount of guns aiming at him, and while their track records against ordinary Titans isn't great, he is a much bigger and slower target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I won't comment on the state of humanity's ballistics technology at this time, but I'll point out that the Colossal Titan is at least 3 times the height of the tallest structures in any of the districts; even in a dense urban environment, there's no way to reach his nape but to anchor on him.