Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I also enjoyed how the anime adapted this arc so far, and I am incredibly excited for the rest of this season to come out. Some of my favorite moments in the series are getting animated, and I am PUMPED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah if you are determined to stay anime-only the absolute worst thing you can possibly do is google anything related to the series because you will be broadsided by massive spoilers for just about every single character.

This happened a LOT in the first season when people looked up, say, Reiner and Bertholdt. At one point just googling Annie had an image result thumbnail as the top result spoiling every titan shifter known at the time.

Youtube is also hazardous. You don't even have to watch an anime to get manga spoilers on it. It'll decide one day you might be interested in another anime and then boom, thumbnail with spoilers in it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

Youtube is also hazardous. You don't even have to watch an anime to get manga spoilers on it. It'll decide one day you might be interested in another anime and then boom, thumbnail with spoilers in it.

And the video title will have a gigantic spoiler.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sefal posted:

And the video title will have a gigantic spoiler.

This happened to me because I'd been watching anime reactions of people having their minds blown. Youtube decided that clearly what I was in the need of was a manga related video a million chapters ahead of the anime, spoiling a thing. Fortunately, the thing they gave away makes no sense to me without context.

The only way to be 100% safe from this, IF you want to use the tubes, is to not be logged in in any way. Unless they still still track your every viewing because they are a creepy, privacy invading, mega corp.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 6, 2018

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
You can go in your youtube history and delete videos you watched from your history, which will curate your feed

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watching the simuldub of this so only two episodes into the season thus far. The third episode should have been up on Monday on Funimation but no sign of it. Does anyone know why?

Season is really fun so far and I’m super intrigued now that I know who Christa is. Only thing I didn’t like was Levi saying all the stories about Kenny the Airport are true right after Nilfa(?) says that Kenny killed like 100 MPs. There’s like a maximum of 10 new MPs a year. It’s unlikely every top ten graduate joins the MPs,” take Eren’s year for example where one person joined. So how on earth could anyone doubt if Kenny existed and why hasn’t there been an insane hunt for him. I’m going to assume that story is actually quite hyperbolic, please be more precise in future Levi. :saddowns:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

EmmyOk posted:

Watching the simuldub of this so only two episodes into the season thus far. The third episode should have been up on Monday on Funimation but no sign of it. Does anyone know why?

Season is really fun so far and I’m super intrigued now that I know who Christa is. Only thing I didn’t like was Levi saying all the stories about Kenny the Airport are true right after Nilfa(?) says that Kenny killed like 100 MPs. There’s like a maximum of 10 new MPs a year. It’s unlikely every top ten graduate joins the MPs,” take Eren’s year for example where one person joined. So how on earth could anyone doubt if Kenny existed and why hasn’t there been an insane hunt for him. I’m going to assume that story is actually quite hyperbolic, please be more precise in future Levi. :saddowns:

The "Top 10" is per training division (there are 4), the vast majority do in fact join the MPs (Eren's squad was a notable exception caused by numerous reasons), and the stories happened over 15 years ago.

But as you said, it'd be obvious if so many MPs died, which is actually why the 'rumor' exists in the first place: it'd be an extremely embarrassing story for the Central Government if the people found out that they were powerless to stop a man from killing their best by the dozens, but how do you conceal so many disappearances? The information leaked and became the story of Kenny the Ripper.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

The "Top 10" is per training division (there are 4), the vast majority do in fact join the MPs (Eren's squad was a notable exception caused by numerous reasons), and the stories happened over 15 years ago.

But as you said, it'd be obvious if so many MPs died, which is actually why the 'rumor' exists in the first place: it'd be an extremely embarrassing story for the Central Government if the people found out that they were powerless to stop a man from killing their best by the dozens, but how do you conceal so many disappearances? The information leaked and became the story of Kenny the Ripper.

Cool that makes much more sense, didn’t realise about the four squads and though I knew Eren’s squad was an amazing exception hadn’t expected MP sign up to be so high!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

Cool that makes much more sense, didn’t realise about the four squads and though I knew Eren’s squad was an amazing exception hadn’t expected MP sign up to be so high!

Yeah, there's one training division for each of the cardinal directions, which is why for example the other new recruits in Annie's squad once she joined the MPs had never met Eren nor had been present for the battle at Trost, and Reiner/Berthold/Annie ended up in Eren's training division in the first place because they originally mingled in with the southern refugees to infiltrate the walls (Eren's home Shiganshina was the southernmost district).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Signing up to be an MP means you’re signing up to most likely not die to Titans and live a cushy life, it makes sense

E: the garrison used to mean that too up until, uh, it suddenly didn’t when the wall got kicked in

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 7, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Remember why Jean wanted to be an MP? a lot of people probably thought similar to him

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's said in one of those info-dump splash screens that garrison personnel with enough seniority can be transferred to the MP.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Sasha is not up to speed on the fan theories

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:wtc: Hange survived after all? :tviv:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The CG effects were pretty dope this episode. The manga made him look like a roast turkey.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Loved Sasha's lil confession scene to Eren halfway thru, the way her rougher...country(?) accent, I guess, just came spilling out. All the VA's are killing it.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:wtc: Hange survived after all? :tviv:

In the manga she only had a shot to the shoulder, so it was pretty obvious she was going to be ok. This version, though...she got the most epic injury deserving of her character.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Catalina posted:

In the manga she only had a shot to the shoulder, so it was pretty obvious she was going to be ok. This version, though...she got the most epic injury deserving of her character.

No, it played out exactly the same.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like how he's so huge he has to crawl like a maggot. Pretty sure backbones don't work like that!

Titan fluid consumption also seems kinda inconsistent. There's this insistence on injecting it, but if you can just touch it with your tongue it's just as good? Why even bother injecting in the first place? And if there's vials of spinal fluid available, why even bite into another titan's back? Just give him a lumbar puncture and make more bottles. All this biting into another shifter stuff could've been avoided, unless there's something about the first's will that can't be put into a bottle.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Freakazoid_ posted:

I like how he's so huge he has to crawl like a maggot. Pretty sure backbones don't work like that!

Titan fluid consumption also seems kinda inconsistent. There's this insistence on injecting it, but if you can just touch it with your tongue it's just as good? Why even bother injecting in the first place? And if there's vials of spinal fluid available, why even bite into another titan's back? Just give him a lumbar puncture and make more bottles. All this biting into another shifter stuff could've been avoided, unless there's something about the first's will that can't be put into a bottle.

I mean you can just touch it with your tongue, but it's pretty clearly a bad way to go about it judging by his titan form.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I was thinking injections are there because it's so easy to be turned with the juice. No unfortunate accidents due to spills.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was just as confused about how to take the liquid but seeing Rod Reiss' form and how it went entirely against what he actually wanted, I feel that the difference is that injecting the Titan fluid causes a controlled, proper transformation, while drinking it like that just sends it into overdrive and creates a stupidly big and dangerous but also heavily incomplete and uncontrolled Titan. Considering how Reiss can't even stand after transforming, which not even the previous biggest Titan or any mindless one has suffered from, and how he's constantly releasing massive amounts of heat - both things that would go heavily against the whole "eating Eren" plan, I can't imagine Bertholdt But More was what he intended.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Eren pretty much just drank the "armor" vial and he was able to absorb that ability just fine, so maybe it's a just a bad way to start your life as a titan but works ok if you're already a shifter.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Since it's titan spinal fluid it quickly evaporates on contact with air meaning, at the very least, injection is a safer way to handle it than open-container ingestion.

You also probably don't want to get any on you and accidentally turn into a titan yourself.

Dosage might also be a factor at play, but Kenny's implication when he said Reiss didn't know any better than the rest of them sounds to me that Historia too would've turned into a giant monstrosity had she taken the contents of that syringe.

Food for thought:
- Titanization serum is made from titans.
- Eren consumed a titan serum labeled 'Armor' and subsequently acquired the ability of hardening like the Female and Armored titans.
- Ymir and her friend cultist both turned into small big head all-fours titans. When Ymir consumed RBA's warrior friend, her new titan form didn't change much, only growing more muscle, claws and sharp teeth.
- Frieda's mindless titan was a humanoid emaciated-type titan. After consuming the King she kept the same general shape, but grew muscle and 'breasts', ending up looking rather like a Female titan with skin.
- On the other hand, Eren's original mindless titan form was a small toddler-type titan. His had the most dramatic metamorphosis.
- Grisha's titan form was very large, with a similar body structure to the Beast titan.
- We haven't seen any Colossal-esque titans in the wild, but presumably they exist or are capable of existing, because the walls are filled with them.
- Reiss intended to give Historia a powerful titan form - when he consumed the serum himself, he turned into a gigantic titan that emits super-heated steam, just like the Colossal titan.
- All of Rakako village titans walked upright (except for Connie's mom, who was malformed).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Catalina posted:

Everyone who was sure she survived has outed themselves as a secret reader. :colbert:

Luckily I'm too lazy to remember who that was so I still won't be spoilered by :speculate:!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I forgot about that village and Connie's mum being turned into titans. Now what was that about?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Beast titan could turn normal humans into titans. He did that as a distraction while he was in the walls. It's why there were titans in the walls, and they thought that meant there was a hole somewhere, but there actually was no jole.

They figured this out when they went to connie's village, where a titan that was definitely his mom was hanging around

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It lured Reiner and Berthold out.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

If he didn't run around injecting everyone one by one to make titans, but it's actually his titan power, then poo poo will get real wild if the scouts go fight him.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sub Harrison posted:

The CG effects were pretty dope this episode. The manga made him look like a roast turkey.

the CG on the big guy was ok, the rest (horses, carriages, people) was noticeably awful.

The episode was also heavily padded with Season 1-esque exposition/recap dialogue. I'm ready to move on to the next arc.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Donnerberg posted:

If he didn't run around injecting everyone one by one to make titans, but it's actually his titan power, then poo poo will get real wild if the scouts go fight him.

I want to say those cans of "herring" from season 2 had something to do with the town's transformation.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Pootybutt posted:

Loved Sasha's lil confession scene to Eren halfway thru, the way her rougher...country(?) accent, I guess, just came spilling out. All the VA's are killing it.

I was curious and looked up Sasha’s VA a while back and turns out it’s the lady who did screaming Yanagin in Daily Lives Of Highschool Boys. She rules https://youtu.be/zYRaS4yWXxI

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

AnacondaHL posted:

the CG on the big guy was ok, the rest (horses, carriages, people) was noticeably awful.

The episode was also heavily padded with Season 1-esque exposition/recap dialogue. I'm ready to move on to the next arc.

The way his arms move reminds me of the movement of various Intentionally lovely CGI things in Courage the Cowardly Dog. Like the moving, spider-legged tower shooting everyone with a depression ray.

It’s a good fit. I approve of the anime depiction of Chicken Titan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please.

He's Turkey Titan.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
More like Flaming Accordion Titan.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That giant deformed Titan freaks me out. We can't even see his face. And his gross lil legs. I wonder what Reiss is doing in there or if he's just gone mental. I have no idea how they're gonna stop him.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alan_Shore posted:

That giant deformed Titan freaks me out. We can't even see his face. And his gross lil legs. I wonder what Reiss is doing in there or if he's just gone mental. I have no idea how they're gonna stop him.

I would assume Titan Erin since people can't even get close from the heat.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eren needs to race ahead of him and spread his AT Field while Historia and Mikasa go in for the kill.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm guessing he isn't even sentient since he hasn't eaten a shifter. Maybe Eren's coordinate will work on him like it did other braindead titans? I don't want it to though, that would be anti-climactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I don't see why he wouldn't be sentient; "eating a shifter" is just a convenient way of somehow ingesting a shifter's spinal fluid, which is what was in the syringe.