Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Can anyone explain the obsession with German language/names? If it is some spoiler nonsense that makes sense later, you can just say it gets addressed, but is it a WWII leftover thing or what?

I always thought it was implied that AoT takes place in alternate-universe Germany? Hence the names, the culture, the appearance of the buildings; it making sense for Mikasa to be the Only Asian In The World, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I don't see why he wouldn't be sentient; "eating a shifter" is just a convenient way of somehow ingesting a shifter's spinal fluid, which is what was in the syringe.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Really? I've been looking for a cheap way to get rid of my trumpface...

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Well, it can't be the literal only way, since shifters have to have come from somewhere. It can't be turtles all the way down. But presumably it's the only way available to people within the walls. Whether it's also the only way available to those outside the walls (and the ability to make completely new shifters is lost forever) is somewhat unclear. But it might be possible to infer something from what we've seen?

Reiner & co got sent on a mission from Somewhere to... do something, it's not entirely clear, but their objectives involve either destroying all the walls or just recovering the Coordinate. Presumably, whoever sent them (Monkey Trouble himself? Someone else they both work for? The city we saw in Ymir's flashback?) wants these things to happen but has at best a very limited ability to create shifters seeing as otherwise why didn't they send four hundered shifters instead of four? On the other hand, there's some reason they waited a hundred years before attacking, especially if they didn't know Grisha had stolen the coordinate (which Reiner & Berthold at least didn't know for certain). Finally, why did they send Reiner, Berthold, and Annie specifically? Child soldiers are not, in general, amazingly good troops and if you're only sending four people you presumably want to send four of your absolute elite. Why not four experienced killers like Kenny?

Maybe they can't create new shifters at all and are just recycling the ones they have.
Maybe they can, but it takes a long time or uses up some very rare resource and so they can only create them on the order of once every few decades - hence it's taken them ages to build up enough to send Reiner & co.
Maybe they can make as many shifters as they like but they have a shortage of people to actually turn into shifters - or a shortage of people with the right bloodline?

obviously we don't have enough information to know for sure, this is really just me laying out my thoughts.

Unrelatedly, I was really interested to see the huge underground city that Levi grew up in. Was that something we'd already seen?

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

DaveKap posted:

You should. And once you're caught up, post your theories in the manga thread instead.
Posting theories about an anime that's already had its future explained in a manga is kind of pointless because whether you did or didn't read the manga, people will call you out if you get relatively close. There's zero to gain from making theories because people will already know if they're true or not and if they are, nobody will believe you didn't look up spoilers and if they're not, then you're just making up a wrong theory and who cares.

In other words, I see nothing to be gained from making up theories on anything that's already been explained. Unless you just enjoy being an rear end in a top hat who spoils stuff... in which case, you're an rear end in a top hat, so nobody wins.

Speaking as someone who hasn't read the manga, I also would very much like to see theories from other anime-only people and I promise I'm not going to call anybody out if they're close to what happens because I don't know what happens. I also will care even if they're just making up a wrong theory, owing to the fact that I will not know that it's a wrong theory? in other words where you literally see no upside I literally see no downside

speaking of which, given the way grisha speaks about the basement ("you have to find it, Eren! Everything will make sense once you find the basement!") it seems almost obvious that the thing inside will be information of some variety, presumably a message/messages he wrote to Eren explaining The Truth of the World or whatever.

BUT, off the wall theory, we don't really know poo poo about the Coordinate except that it's a titan mind control power. And Titan Mind Control Powers (and mind control powers in general) are definitely a thing in the setting - consider, e.g, the way that the First King's will lingers on way after his death as various royal family members gain his titan power. Grisha placed/seemed to place a bunch of hypnotic-ish suggestions into Eren before he got eaten (e.g, the trigger where Eren would remember his titan power when he saw the basement key). What if there's another trigger in Eren's mind that would make Grisha's will (or some of Grisha's will) resurface (as per the First King) resurface and exert some amount of control over Eren, and that trigger is in the basement?

i mean, surely the guy had a better overall plan than "inject own son, get eaten, ???, profit."

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

He had no idea how he did it in the first place, and when they attempted it with Rod Reiss it didn't work at all. They could've easily captured small titans to experiment on during the intervening 2 months between the coup and the Shiganshina operation, so since it hasn't been mentioned at all you can assume that they couldn't figure out the method, and consequently didn't include it in their battle plans.

What makes you assume that?

It hasn't been mentioned at all could just as easily mean that they have figured out how to do it (although possibly only in some specific set of circumstances) and they're just not revealing that information to the reader yet so they can bring it up (possibly with a flashback) when it's time to do it - keep in mind they know (I think???) that it doesn't work on other shifters and Eren's been stuck on the inside of the wall without any contact with the regular titans, and they didn't see any titans on the way in so there's no reason he would have used it by now.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

AoT tends not to roll like that, for starters. The thunder spears is the closest it's gotten, and even that was telegraphed far in advance of their application.

AoT totally rolls like that.

What it doesn't roll like is the stereotypical cheap shonen thing where it reveals, at the climax of the big fight where the main character seemed like they were on the ropes, that they had the power of nuclear beam reflection the whole time, they'd just chosen not to use it until now. It doesn't provide information out of chronological order as a method of resolving conflict or tension.

But it's totally within its playbook to not tell us about the experiments that Eren did on a bunch of wild titans wandering outside Trost until slightly closer to that information being relevant to the immediate situation. Which, right now, it isn't; Eren's on the inside of the wall and he hasn't even been in the same shot as a non-shifter titan since the end of season 2.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
god drat I was so strongly dreading the burnt corpse from the credits teaser preview thing turning out to be Hange, I was basically certain of it from the second I heard that line about how her squad were really close to the blast.

THIS IS EVEN WORSE

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Can you give some examples of mysteries the anime solved first? Haven't read it, sounds super interesting

A thing I noticed (although it might just have been repeating a similarly context-less shot from the manga?) is that there are a couple of times in the first season when Mikasa experiences a moment of great pressure and determination when it shows a really quick shot of a beating heart / flashes of light / some other imagery. It's really hard to describe, but it's exactly the same style of images that play when Eren turns into a titan. It plays when she's having her breakdown in Trost and she thinks Eren is dead, she's out of gas and a titan's about to attack her but she decides to keep trying to survive anyway; possibly also when she resolves to fight the human traffickers and save Eren. For ages I was convinced this was foreshadowing that Mikasa was also a titan shifter or at least had some sort of Titan magic power. It turns out it's foreshadowing that she's an Ackerman, but IIRC when Season 1 was airing the manga wasn't up to that revelation.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

The one exception we've seen is the 3D maneuvering gear. Maybe that was built off of an original set that was also snuck in from the outside world

Given the way Monkey Trouble is *fascinated* by the 3DMG in his very first appearance, I assume it's an entirely natural invention of within-the-walls world or at the very least somehow not known to wherever it is the outside shifters come from.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I thought Eren had it now? But he couldn't use it properly? Like he can harden and tell titans what to do and such, a bit? But he doesn't have the right bloodline so he can't just magic up a billion miles of giant titan wall?

or is that wrong?

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Hmm. Something that just occurred to me: the sanctity of the walls seems to depend entirely upon Marley pouring an unlimited supply of titans into the island. Like, sure, the First King moves most of his civilisation to the island, sets up a bunch of walls, and maybe even drops a few Titans outside to keep anyone from leaving easily. But those Titans won't last forever - even if the inhabitants of the walls are fairly incompetent at killing them, surely they'll end up wandering somewhere without sunlight and hibernating like Ymir did, or getting killed by humans through pure luck. And with no titans outside, or even with not very many, people will start to get curious, and the Military Police can't stop them all, not without turning the walls explicitly into some sort of prison and inviting violent revolution.

So did the First King know that Marley was going to cooperate with his plan and continually refill the titans? Did he even arrange for them to do so - e.g, give them syringes and the technology to make them, intentionally leave Eldians behind to provide a "breeding pool"? Or did they decide to do so independently, and if so why? What do they get out of it, other than containment of the Eldians (when presumably they'd rather exterminate them - in fact I have to assume the only reason they keep a population of Eldians alive in ghettos is so they have a self-replentishing supply of mindless titans). Is this one of the not-release-titans-in-walls conditions?

i don't think we have enough information to answer any of this, but it's interesting to think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
i'm not sure those are colossals? Like, they look like the colossal (in that they're huge and have no skin) but that might just be what they look like rather than anything about their nature. Maybe when you make a titan really big the skin just falls off? At the very least there's no evidence to suggest they have the steam-emitting power that I think(?) is the Colossal's actual unique shifter power.