Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

gonna go to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i just always assume the briscoes are tag champs.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

OGB posted:

Just checked the Stubhub app - says there are 3,274 tickets available...

so only about 20% of the sold tickets are for resale? thats pretty impressive

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Also YOSHI-HASHI, who somehow ends up getting the biggest push of all of them.

For real though, they'll make serious plays for the Bucks, Cody, Omega, Scurll and maybe Juice, Naito and Okada. I feel like they're only likely to get the Jacksons and that's a coin flip based on if WWE are willing to massively overpay for the Bucks compared to what they'd actually do with them, in order to gently caress with ROH and New Japan.

WWE would 100% absolutely pay 7 figures just to ice an act.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i can't see them signing for less than 5 mil over three years each.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oh man :(

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Did Cody’s Bernard the Business Bear thing go anywhere?

i made him a referee in fire pro world for playstation but nowhere else as far as i can tell

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im gonna go

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im torn on going to either the tv taping or the ppv. def not gonna do both.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was able to get front row of the lower bowl for $15 for tonights ppv.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Building starting to fill. So far id say about 1500 to 1700 in the venue.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

crows sucked, kinda hurt the show. Was fun but not one of the better roh shows I've been to.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

aw man i left before kingdom attacked and missed it.

i was thinkin about doin tv tapings since there seems to be plenty of tickets still but the dead crowd kinda hurt the show for me last night. i haven't been to a roh tv taping since about 2016, has anyone here gone to them? are they still like 6 hours long?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tv tapings were fun. Had a better time than at ppv. Cobb win was a surprise. Gresham is a way overlooked wrestler. I wanted ishii to chop me but he wasnt doing a meet n greet.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i cannot believe wwe is going to give vinny marseglia and tk o'ryan a million bucks each.

i will say that i went into the ppv weekend not knowing who gresham was to thinking hes a really good wrestler and i kinda hope he gets a spot in njpw's jr heavyweight division.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

actually what wwe should do is hire delirious

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

coconono posted:

Jay Lethal sucks tho

i dunno i thought he was very good when i saw him live for death before dishonor weekend

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

roh is tonight?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there are a lot of reasons that one fc winding up on tnt is getting as much play as it is.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Well I mean ethically, sure. I'll give that to you every time. But from an actual standpoint of being good for wrestling or more notably successful as a business venture?

ALL IN worked because it was kinda an indie WrestleMania and was meant to be a one off or maybe a yearly event. Actually running a promotion requires weekly TV, probably at least quarterly PPVs, more talent than just The Elite, and most notably an audience. I'm not saying there's no audience for it, ALL IN basically proved there is. But in terms of weekly TV, at least to start, you're running with a niche market within a niche market, and whether we like it or not WWE is the standard bearer to any TV executive judging the relative health or popularity of the wrestling business.

Plus, if AEW uses any kind of exclusivity in their contracts, they're crippling the indies, especially ROH. If they're not, then why all the pomp and circumstance of leaving ROH, and furthermore, what really sets any of these other shows apart from each other even if they're admittedly pretty good to the demo that's already going to watch them? It's honestly kinda a no win scenario.

If TNA finally dies, and depending on where they end up on TV, I'd give AEW a shot at succeeding. Like if you could transplant AEW into the circumstances that prime TNA had? The plot thickens. But the issue is how they get that far.

Also every super rich person is varying degrees of piece of poo poo, especially sports team owners. I seem to recall really liking Khan for taking a knee with the players at one point but IIRC after that he completely stopped speaking out. He wasn't vocally terrible like, say, Jerry Jones, but I thought it was a bit of a shame that he didn't do more with the platform.

you gotta also understand that to be under contract with ROH would make them unable to join any kind of startup, even one of their own creation. as for exclusivity, we dont know for sure what they're going to be doing. but ROH is a company that enforces exclusive contracts, which is why they have to leave if they want to start their own promotion. if Sinclair wanted to put the money behind ROH to start becoming more competitive, im sure they might have stayed, but Sinclair is leaving the budget as it is and has shown they have no interest in growing past a certain point. And there's nothing wrong with that from a business perspective, but if you have ideas to grow something beyond the current landscape, then you'd have to do it somewhere else.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you gotta try

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

First of all I watch ROH and TNA literally weekly and I'd watch NJPW TV if I got AXS but I don't. I'm not signed up to Honor Club or GWN but that's a return on investment thing mostly, and NJPWW, well I've been over that a thousand times.

With regards to the rest of it, I shouldn't have said it's dumb. That was overly reductive and a bad way to express my actual point which is more "It's dumb to think that in 2018 a startup has anything more than the faintest chance of becoming a competitor to WWE in any real sense". If they're just trying to basically get to the spot where ROH is now, that's one thing. I could easily see that.

I guess the only reason I somewhat scoff at the idea is that I really get the vibe (and always have) that The Elite genuinely think "we scare Vince" and that "honest to God competitor to WWE" is where they'll get. And on the one hand you have to believe it to achieve it, they've done amazingly for themselves, and there are indicators left right and center that WWE tries to undermine them, I just think that people need to slow their roll just a bit.

I'd happily be wrong because competition is good.
it's not so much "we scare wwe" as it is "wwe shouldnt be the only major promotion this side of the world". i wouldnt say wwe is scared but they absolutely do not want any company to get any kind of a foothold if they can help it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tna was literally "wwe is scared of us" to the point they had a fake vince and triple h show up on their show

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have a really naive hope that they just have a working relationship with roh as opposed to being competitors

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the roster does feel thin on main eventers. cobb would probably make the best champion right now so roh being roh they'll get the belt on him in autumn of 2020.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man i miss morishima era roh.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Thanks, hoping to get part 2 up tonight. Erick has a pretty interesting take on why his push as FIP champion didn't work.

is that really the consensus?? I thought his FIP run was great, his back to back matches with aries and danielson, his feud with roderick was one of the things that made me think he was a surefire future ROH champion. Was Florida just that bad?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i mean its gonna be part of the njpw meet and greet which is cool.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

taven might be winning there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

marty should have beaten dalton

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i mean cobb would be the best guy right now

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

scalpers or not, they're makin their money regardless. the tickets are sold.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

whats the card

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that sure is a boring ring of honor twenty nineteen card. i think i'll just play firepro instead.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

on second thought Briscoes vs pco/king will probably be a fun wild match so maybe that will be worth goin for.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SIXTY AMERICAN DOLLARS FOR GENERAL ADMISSION AT THE DOOR.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they let me haggle in for 40 I'm not ashamed.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I still have given the bigger trump fundraiser money so I am still owned.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 16, 2019

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

"The Gatekeeper" has to be one of the worst self given nicknames I have ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think mayu broke her neck