Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

triplexpac posted:

I think we can all credit Jay Lethal for this one. I was wrong to ever doubt him.

Really though, who or what do you credit for this? Is ROH incredibly popular outside of this forum? Cause I don’t see a lot of conversation about the product on twitter or here, it seemed hotter years ago.

Maybe it’s the excitement around G1 and All In?

i mean ROH does fine selling out smaller venues like hammerstein in nyc, I think this being the first real opportunity for east coasters to see new japan live without flying to the west coast (+people flying in for mania who haven't been able to catch ROH) has to be the real drive. new japan has gotten a ton of extra BUZZ this year thanks to jericho especially

also, given my experience with NXT/WWE events at barclays, i dont doubt that there was a significant scalper bot investment in the event, but still surprising to me considering thats a risky bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I don’t know their long term plans, but clearly they are good businessmen and WWE would be a wrecking ball to everything they’ve built. If they’re looking to cash in and get out it’s a good option but I think having control of a long term brand is where the money and comfort is really at

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I got a ticket to Final Battle and I’m probably going to enjoy some of the matches

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Which ones are you planning to enjoy?

ZSJ vs Gresham and Cobb vs Page

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I guess I forgot about the Bully Ray match I’m excited to see him leave his boots in the ring this year and not retire again

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
SCU to AEW?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Lol foochs you give WWE a million chances week in and week out but you’re already naysaying a potentially competent competitor that will be a net good for the business regardless.

you really are a broke brain

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Bandido no

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Roque11 posted:

Wow Bandido signed. ROH are killing it with these new signings lately. I remember when some guy on twitter claimed that wrestlers were going to stay away from ROH due to creative.

So who's next? I say Flamita, ShanemStrickland and Trevor Lee. Also, I expect more of Kushida in ROiH for 2019.

Have fun in WWE, KUSHIDA

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
lol this loving company has rush, bandido and jeff cobb but they'll still gently caress it up as long as they have delirious booking

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
PCO vs Suzuki or Ishii

make it so

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
lmfao

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
It’s New York, every big wrestling event here goes to the scalpers

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Gaz-L posted:

Scurll vs the ROH champ (Lethal or Taven) at the Garden.

i mean, i saw lethal vs scurll at final battle 2017 but i'd gladly take that over anything involving taven

i'm guessing scurll is gonna become champ

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
poor flip

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I regret to inform you that ROH is not cancelled

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I know they’re more popular than Free AgentZ and hell most of the ROH roster but the Briscoes are loving trash imo

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, Jesus, they should absolutely have asked for the guys to commit to the MSG show, even as a per-appearance deal. Hell, use it to put over the guys you want to build around. Like, imagine if instead of the Bully Ray nonsense, we'd had Juice, Haskins and Flip going over Cody and the Bucks? I bet the crowd would've been a lot more engaged.

I highly doubt it was for lack of trying

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

KungFu Grip posted:

That match was a cold, absolutely average, and completely short match in front of a mild and empty crowd. Not once did ROH promote the fact that Jeff Cobb was going to be in the G1 Climax representing them either.

Why promote Jeff Cobb being in a tournament for a world title shot when he was already in a world title match?!?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Exactly, it’s some two bit title in a promotion with no buzz. The money is in the chase to see who will topple the legendary Matt Taven.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Both those tweets suck
Free Bárbaro Cavernario

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I would go to that show but I’m still working my way through the 2 disc Matt Taven dvd set

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

fart blood posted:

Maybe its because I was never that invested in ROH aside from a few DVDs in 2005 but I can’t buy Matt Taven as a top guy.

You might be onto something there, fart blood

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Good, I hope they stay far away from AEW

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Briscoes will be with ROH when it shuts down

I wonder if WWE will pick them up next year then

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Low Desert Punk posted:

against my better judgement I am attending the atlanta ROH show tomorrow. i get to see Rush live for the first time and Bandido vs Scurll which'll be a banger, but I'm not optimistic about the rest of the show

If you wait like 6 months you could see all of that in a better promotion probably and not have memories of a sparsely populated front 3 rows consisting of “Streamer Guy” trying to hype up 78 fans

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

rovert posted:

There's a couple of ROH contracts ending very soon that haven't been and won't be publicised online for the fear of ROH claiming contract tampering. The Wednesday Night War era will be fun.

I've no idea what is next for him. But I personally thought he failed the audition in the G1 no?

Since there is no wrestling commission that enforces tampering rules, wouldn’t the only type of tampering that anyone would care about be the lawsuit worthy kind such as coercing a talent to break their contract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Djarum posted:

Technically much like with anyone else with a contract you can't really make an offer before they have an ability too. WWE got caught doing it with RoH talent several times and with Cole, KOR and Fish Sinclair hit them with their lawyers which is why they had to sit out for months before officially sign with WWE.

I assume anyone looking to leave RoH saw how that all happened and is trying to avoid it again, especially at this point and time where money and exposure is going to be at it's near highest.

I have a couple of ideas who might be on the open market and they would be interesting but nothing game changing if it is who I they are.

I’m assuming something else was going on with Cole/KOR/Fish. There aren’t any specific laws in the US that prevent you from seeking/negotiating your next contract while under current contract, provided you fulfill all your obligations of your current contract. Independent contractors in most industries would be hosed if that were the case.

Leagues like the NBA/NFL/etc setup their own definitions of tampering, with their own rules and fines.

But for a more recent example, the Bucks very clearly had been talking to Tony Khan and WWE before their contract was up and that was all very cool and legal.