Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1021431317932756992?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

roomforthetuna posted:

The show is amazing, but I'm a bit uncomfortable about how softball it is to the lefties. Their mock character is basically a caricature of a right-wing idiot, so even if they're fully taken in by it their reaction would be the same as if they're not, "stop this, this is a stupid waste of time".

It would be nice to see the bicycle character suggesting outrageous things to the lefties. Though I guess that's tricky because outrageous on the right is "let's murder people for being different lol" and outrageous on the left is like "let's seize the means of production and distribute things so nobody experiences poverty".

Anyway, my favorite thing about the butt politician is that when he speaks in his own defense in the media after the fact it's pretty loving damning. "I'm a weak-willed chump who can be manipulated by my fears, and wah it's not fair to do that for amusement at my expense, it's only fair to manipulate me by my fears so I'll enact policies that persecute minorities!"

source you're quotes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

roomforthetuna posted:

It would be nice to see the bicycle character suggesting outrageous things to the lefties. Though I guess that's tricky because outrageous on the right is "let's murder people for being different lol" and outrageous on the left is like "let's seize the means of production and distribute things so nobody experiences poverty!”

The latter is not outrageous at all.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
sasha already tried to troll bernie and it didn't work. there's no equivalence between right-wing insanity and the left in the US, that's just a fact. Trying to draw a false equivalence between the right and th left in the US, when there's only one fox news, one breitbart, and one trump, is the work of right-centrists.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

the way you troll leftists is to make them upset at you by talking about how much you love atrocities or how cool you feel it is to hurt people based on the circumstances of their birth or that you think its awesome people can't get medicine because its been price-fixed by a pharmaceutical cartel

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SpaceGoku posted:

the way you troll leftists is to make them upset at you by talking about how much you love atrocities or how cool you feel it is to hurt people based on the circumstances of their birth or that you think its awesome people can't get medicine because its been price-fixed by a pharmaceutical cartel

ya the right is already doing that and its not much of a "troll" as it is just pure spite, its just that they think its trolling when its the lowest common denominator of "U Mad" compared to SBC just setting aside and letting them say and do the most craziest poo poo when given a prompt and platform.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

sasha already tried to troll bernie and it didn't work. there's no equivalence between right-wing insanity and the left in the US, that's just a fact. Trying to draw a false equivalence between the right and th left in the US, when there's only one fox news, one breitbart, and one trump, is the work of right-centrists.

Liberals though?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Crowsbeak posted:

Liberals though?

Get a dozen lanyard dorks in a room like the mosque bit in the latest episode except say it's a brainstorming session for "healthcare delivery innovation". Give it 2 hours and you'll have someone proposing fiverr but for insulin.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

show is very nice

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

rudatron posted:

sasha already tried to troll bernie and it didn't work.
That's what I was talking about though, that troll was ultra softball. "A right-wing idiot dressed up as an idiot and citing nonsense from nonsense places is saying idiot things to you" is obviously not going to "work", in that being fooled looks identical to not being fooled, they both end in "shut up I'm leaving this is stupid".
Maybe a left-wing character escalating subtle racism would be a more effective troll for Bernie, or a right-wing character misrepresenting left-wing positions to coax Bernie into over-clarifying the position in the other direction.

I mean it's great as propaganda if that's the goal, "leftie politicians are smart and good and right-wing politicians can be tricked into doing totally dumb things" is going to be most people's takeaway message, but I'd rather it had made an actual effort to troll the lefties so that message was genuine rather than being propaganda. Or the message "all politicians are dumbfucks" would be good too, if the effort trolling worked.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what if, get this, right wingers really are just more dumb and evil

i mean its not like hes any more realistic with them, he looks like a lazytown Israeli and shouts about arming babies, and they start shouting about it even before he does

whats he gonna get bernie to agree to thatd be embarassing, minimum wage at 20 an hour (so fiscally irresponsible!!!) free oncology (whos going to pay for the oncologists kids private middle schools now???????)

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
not sure if :thejoke: or not but the hebrew on his shirt is backwards, gonna be an easy tell if he ever goes for israel lobbyists.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

i would just feel much more comfortable watching sacha baron cohen’s “both sides”

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Al! posted:

what if, get this, right wingers really are just more dumb and evil
I'm not suggesting that's not the case, I'm just saying I want that demonstrated properly!
What he does to the left-wingers is equivalent to trolling the right-wingers with a lisping gay character saying "I think abortion is good, look, paganritualz.com says abortion is good. What do you have to say about that?"
He's not even remotely trying to get them to say anything damning, it's just "look at the stupid things *my* character is saying, isn't that funny?"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

I mean it's great as propaganda if that's the goal, "leftie politicians are smart and good and right-wing politicians can be tricked into doing totally dumb things" is going to be most people's takeaway message, but I'd rather it had made an actual effort to troll the lefties so that message was genuine rather than being propaganda. Or the message "all politicians are dumbfucks" would be good too, if the effort trolling worked.

have you considered that perhaps right wing politicians and voters are just more willing to do stupid horrible things? why should he spend a ton more effort trying to trick Bernie or whoever to say something like “blue collar workers sure are dumb” when he can have republicans and their elected officials dropping their pants screaming the n word with the slightest provocation?

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I was all ready to watch it last night, but then my wife said that despite liking SBC and what he's doing, all the stupid people in it just pissed her off. So, I had to stop it and hope to watch it when she's not around. Uggh. I should probably :sever:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm praying every night for a statement from Hillary Clinton about how she got tricked by what must clearly be russian state controlled media

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

have you considered that perhaps right wing politicians and voters are just more willing to do stupid horrible things? why should he spend a ton more effort trying to trick Bernie or whoever to say something like “blue collar workers sure are dumb” when he can have republicans and their elected officials dropping their pants screaming the n word with the slightest provocation?
Yeah, I'd also be okay with just not even bothering. It's the softball bullshit efforts that I'm not comfortable with. "Look how smart and cool these guys are, they don't bite at this complete absence of meaningful bait."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

This thread appears to be drawing out the dumbest fuckers on this forum lol

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

roomforthetuna posted:

SBC spent like no effort to troll the right wingers, they're itching to show off what lovely people they are
lmao 'propaganda'

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

guys i sincerely hope that some day SBC becomes mature enough to realize that the truth is actually somewhere in the middle

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

trolling some liberals would be fun tho, like the succ ones.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Goddamn that town hall was nuts. I wonder how much they would have toned it down if one of the black guys they tolerate was there

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Wheeee posted:

guys i sincerely hope that some day SBC becomes mature enough to realize that the truth is actually somewhere in the middle

if anything the problem with the show is it hasnt trolled any centrists so far

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

roomforthetuna posted:

That's what I was talking about though, that troll was ultra softball. "A right-wing idiot dressed up as an idiot and citing nonsense from nonsense places is saying idiot things to you" is obviously not going to "work", in that being fooled looks identical to not being fooled, they both end in "shut up I'm leaving this is stupid".
Maybe a left-wing character escalating subtle racism would be a more effective troll for Bernie, or a right-wing character misrepresenting left-wing positions to coax Bernie into over-clarifying the position in the other direction.

oh no heaven forbid someone make.....propaganda that deliberately targets the nascent fascist movement in this country instead of catching social democrats in an awkward silence by repeating "WELL HOW WILL YOU PAY FOR IT"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Wheeee posted:

:hmmyes:

Al! posted:

if anything the problem with the show is it hasnt trolled any centrists so far

i think the closest he's done and this is only episode 2, is targeting vapid celebrities who don't really care about charity as much as it is just to make them look humane, as if they're overcompensating for that

i can't believe people are coming out to debate and discuss SBC, its so dumb because he knows exactly what he's doing with his segments and it literally loving speaks for itself.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

:hmmyes:

i think the closest he's done and this is only episode 2, is targeting vapid celebrities who don't really care about charity as much as it is just to make them look humane, as if they're overcompensating for that

i can't believe people are coming out to debate and discuss SBC, its so dumb because he knows exactly what he's doing with his segments and it literally loving speaks for itself.

that segment is a bit unsung but i lost my poo poo when she claimed to personally have saved the lives of 2500 people because a warlord recognized her from tv and decided not to slaughter them (that day, lol)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I troll leftists by wearing an "I Heart Cruelty" t-shirt

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

i think the problem is that people expect the show to be purely political when its really about the broader issue of America's insipid culture

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Wheeee posted:

i think the problem is that people expect the show to be purely political when its really about the broader issue of America's insipid culture

yeah, he mostly just lets people hang themselves, it just so happens that when you take away the sanitization of their message that the american media does for them that the right is straight up evil

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhvZc06hHU

lmao

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm watching the first episode now and it's hilarious. Also did someone say it doesn't make fun of centrists? Because one of SBC's characters is an ultrawoke NPR centrist who's trying to "heal the divide" by talking to Republicans

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

roomforthetuna posted:

I'm not suggesting that's not the case, I'm just saying I want that demonstrated properly!
What he does to the left-wingers is equivalent to trolling the right-wingers with a lisping gay character saying "I think abortion is good, look, paganritualz.com says abortion is good. What do you have to say about that?"
He's not even remotely trying to get them to say anything damning, it's just "look at the stupid things *my* character is saying, isn't that funny?"

THere really is little he could do. I mean he certainly could say troll some college so called lefty groups who are too involved with the vampire's castle, but lefty politicians would be a bit difficult. As I said, lib politicians could be done as there are lib politicians who are all in on the Russia controls America nonsense. BTW does Sacha Baron Cohen know any Polish? Asking because I suspect most of the lib anti Russian politicians couldn't tell the difference.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Holy poo poo

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Wheeee posted:

agreed

Al! posted:

yeah, he mostly just lets people hang themselves, it just so happens that when you take away the sanitization of their message that the american media does for them that the right is straight up evil

there's something rotten about american culture thats commodified into absolutism in the form of single issue talking points thats easy to market as part of a demagogue

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
There's also only one left politician in America anyone knows, and he's not radical.

It'd be kind of neat to watch him try and prank Bob Avakian, but the number of people who know him and would find that funny is probably kind of small.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

there's something rotten about american culture thats commodified into absolutism in the form of single issue talking points thats easy to market as part of a demagogue

"guns are an indelible part of american culture" becomes "we should sell babies teddy bears that are actually guns"

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
i could see SBC getting a hardcore anti-ICE leftist to agree to do a skit where they pretend to be a child in an ICE detention facility and they make it seem as outlandish as possible, allusions to gas chambers etc.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qkkl posted:

i could see SBC getting a hardcore anti-ICE leftist to agree to do a skit where they pretend to be a child in an ICE detention facility and they make it seem as outlandish as possible, allusions to gas chambers etc.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

fooling the libs into calling concentration camps concentration camps to own the libs

• Locked thread