Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Right I get it, you didn't want to waste money stripping one or two bolts many years ago, as a result are now completely tone-deaf as to how tight anything is, and spending more money fixing something you could've prevented using judgement.

No sympathy :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The first time I used my shiny new torque wrench (because I wanted to do it right!) I sheared an oil filter cover bolt in the same way. Managed to get the rest of it out somehow but man I never touched a torque wrench again for years.

Yes I know I need a sensitive torque wrench for little things, but the markings were there for it!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Right I get it, you didn't want to waste money stripping one or two bolts many years ago, as a result are now completely tone-deaf as to how tight anything is, and spending more money fixing something you could've prevented using judgement.

No sympathy :colbert:

I’m glad you’re here

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't feel the TING on my torque wrench when I was tightening the oil drain plug on my Ninjette and just kind of stopped when I was like "uhh shouldn't it have TING'd by now?".

We'll see if it comes off in one piece next time :q:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I assumed the small torque wrench I got was one of the clicky types so the first time I used it I kept twisting waiting for the click.

Turns out it's the kind where the handle just kind of bends when you hit the right torque and I hadn't noticed. Fortunately I didn't ruin anything and just undid the bolt and retightened it to the right torque.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ought ten posted:

This is so idiotic I'm almost too embarrassed to post. New (old) bike, new torque wrench, first oil change. Not my first time doing an oil change. Pulled out the old oil filter, made sure not to lose the stupid spring, checked the o-ring, wiped everything down, popped the new one in. Checked the torque specs, set my wrench, double checked the specs, went to town. Seemed like I was putting a lot of force on these little bolts but what do I know. Suddenly, no resistance. That's funny, never had a torque wrench that worked like that before. Bolt head felt secure to my fingers, so I moved to the other bolt. Tighten, tighten, no resistance. Job well done, I thought.

Grab the drain bolts to put those back in, check the manual for their torque specs. Realized I was off by two orders of magnitude on the filter cover bolts :cripes:

Only one bolt broke. The other had just twisted into a thin ribbon. Incredibly, I was able to gently back the twist one out and the one that broke broke high enough up that I could get it out. Dodged a massively stupid bullet there.

You've made me paranoid to do my own first oil change that I was planning to do now...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ought ten posted:

This is so idiotic I'm almost too embarrassed to post. New (old) bike, new torque wrench, first oil change. Not my first time doing an oil change. Pulled out the old oil filter, made sure not to lose the stupid spring, checked the o-ring, wiped everything down, popped the new one in. Checked the torque specs, set my wrench, double checked the specs, went to town. Seemed like I was putting a lot of force on these little bolts but what do I know. Suddenly, no resistance. That's funny, never had a torque wrench that worked like that before. Bolt head felt secure to my fingers, so I moved to the other bolt. Tighten, tighten, no resistance. Job well done, I thought.

Grab the drain bolts to put those back in, check the manual for their torque specs. Realized I was off by two orders of magnitude on the filter cover bolts :cripes:

Only one bolt broke. The other had just twisted into a thin ribbon. Incredibly, I was able to gently back the twist one out and the one that broke broke high enough up that I could get it out. Dodged a massively stupid bullet there.

I did this a while back except adjusted to in-lbs instead of ft-lbs and was confused by the oil cover bolts barely being finger tight on a 650 thumper.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

You've made me paranoid to do my own first oil change that I was planning to do now...

You’ll be fine, it’s really an easy operation. YouTube videos can be good tutorials, even if you can’t find one for your bike. And don’t buy a three foot long torque wrench like the first one I got when I was 16. I don’t think there’s a bolt on any bike I’ve owned that needed that much torque. Only thing I still haven’t mastered is getting the drip pan in the right place. Honestly Slavvy’s advice is the wisest; if I’d trusted my “huh that’s kind of weird” sense I would have saved myself all this trouble.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks man, I appreciate the encouragement.

This is my new 12mm oil drain bolt (bought a brand new honda original part, 6 flipping quid for a bolt...). Will get some similar washers too shortly from the local shop.

Thinking about getting the following torque wrench and socket set in order to torque it up to 30NM as per the manual, think it should do the trick?:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-torque-wrench-3-8-x-14/5848v
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-3-8-drive-socket-set-40-pcs/3503x

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why not just turn it until it's flush, then tighten until you feel resistance which is maybe another 0.5-1.0 turns, then another couple of degrees to nip it up? The benefit to this technique is that it stops you spending money and also teaches you how to do things up quickly so you don't take three days to swap a wheel, flipping through a manual the whole time. That being said torque wrenches are a good thing to have and that one is fine.

There's like four or five things on a bike you actually need a torque wrench for and nobody besides hapless hobbyists and dire old men uses them on everything.

A friend builds the majority of post classic race engines used in the north island, when I asked him for advice on torquing up air cooled Ducati head studs, a super critical item I've never not torqued, he told me he's always just done them by hand and never had any problems. Your muscles and nerves are accurate to within a few newtons, that's finer than the margin of error on a 3/8 wrench, the only difference between you and the torque wrench is practice. I'm not saying do your head studs by hand, I'm just saying flapping about every little screw is just making things ten times harder, there's a time and a place and it isn't all the time everywhere.

What made you replace the drain screw? Old one hosed?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

What made you replace the drain screw? Old one hosed?

It's a 125, it's had 5 owners prior to me, if I take it off and it's messed up, it's best to have a spare around... No idea if anyone has ever changed the oil on this during its 7500 or so miles its done.

I'll get the torque wrench just in case, so that I know what's the right amount of torque, never worked on something like this before (I have however stripped screws in computers before by over tightening them...).

Thanks Slavvy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If it comes out super sludgy, take off the clutch cover and clean out the little mesh screen that serves as the oil filter :v:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
These are probably fine. I've used cheap Harbor Freight torque wrenches many times and they do match up with expensive ones.

Important factor: don't use one of those clicker torque wrenches for torque settings that are less than like 20% of their max. Even if it has numbers printed on it for like 10Nm or something, it'll be inaccurate, and worse it'll give you a very different click sensation which you might not even feel. I've seen that throw people off and end up overtorquing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Most of the things I use my HF torque wrench for is in the 15-20 ft-lb range, so I recalibrated it by clamping a socket in a vise, hanging two gallons of water (8.35 lb apiece) a foot from the ratchet head, and adjusting it so that it broke right when it read about 16.7 on the knob. Seems to work fine in that general region.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Most of the things I use my HF torque wrench for is in the 15-20 ft-lb range, so I recalibrated it by clamping a socket in a vise, hanging two gallons of water (8.35 lb apiece) a foot from the ratchet head, and adjusting it so that it broke right when it read about 16.7 on the knob. Seems to work fine in that general region.

...dad?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Here's a fun story of ignorance, denial, and lucky riding:

At 500 miles into a 2,300 mile trip, I noticed my chain was red. I'd just passed through a slushy New Mexico so I figured it was local dirt and overnight rust. Lubed the chain like normal and kept going.

At 1,000 miles, I did a short bit w/o earplugs and noticed a chain-skipping noise when engine braking. Uh oh. I took a look and the chain was just sloppy loose. Since I'd checked and it was fine 500 miles ago somehow I convinced myself that the axle had slipped (but couldn't explain why this was possible w/ the locknuts intact). I bought a breaker bar, let the axle back out, and tightened the heck out of it.

300 miles later it was loose again. Suddenly the red rust and the loose chain all made sense, this thing was dying on me with 1,000 miles remaining. I let the axle back out some more and started lubing it every fuel stop. I figured I'd just see how far I could get. I got all the way up to Vail CO and had to leave it rusting parked for a few days while a storm passed. Came back days later w/ tools and a backup chain and gingerly got it home without problems.

Today I took it off and got to see the carnage.

the links should bend, right?

every other tooth chipped on the rear sprocket.

every o-ring is cracking

Most of the rust is from sitting in storms for half a week while covered in salt, it wasn't quite this bad during the ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I did an event yesterday where there were maybe 300 bikes present, I personally checked over a good 40 and about half of them looked exactly like that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
*strips out M6 thread*

*rethreads it 1/4-28*

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Dagen H posted:

*strips out M6 thread*

*rethreads it 1/4-28*

On the behalf of your bike's next owner, gently caress YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I think you meant:

*rounds out JIS screw with a #2*

*angle grinds it so it becomes a flathead screw*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dagen H posted:

*strips out M6 thread*

*rethreads it 1/4-28*

Holy gently caress

You monster :catstare:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dagen H posted:

*strips out M6 thread*

*rethreads it 1/4-28*

I have reported you to the hague, expect a visit from a UN prosecutor.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dagen H posted:

*strips out M6 thread*

*rethreads it 1/4-28*

This sounds like Suzuki Things

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dagen H posted:

*strips out M6 thread*

*rethreads it 1/4-28*

Every Yamaha I've ever had roll into the shop.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

kloa posted:

I think you meant:

*rounds out JIS screw with a #2*

*angle grinds it so it becomes a flathead screw*

I’ve rode Japanese bikes and scooters for 12 years and I just got a JIS bit last year.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This sounds like PO Things

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I almost sold what's left of my collection of old motorcycles for $2500 just to get it out of my mom's house to make her happy. Unfortunately one of the "bikes" she took pictures of didn't belong to me so I couldn't sell it. (it was literally just a frame and motor anyway)
Bruh passed because "all or nothin" despite me throwing in 3 more titled motorcycles he didn't even know about.

I am so very relieved that he skipped on the deal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This sounds like Suzuki Things

Ls650's, in addition to being maddeningly hard to work on in myriad other ways, have m9x1.25 head nut threads, perfect for when PO's wreck the nut threads attempting to fix the usual ailments without taking the engine out.

I did one the expensive way and then did another, for the guy's neighbor. Yes I cut an M8 thread onto a rolled m9 stack stud, am probably going to hell but he asked for fast and cheap.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Dumb question but I'll go for it anyway - do I really need JIS screwdrivers for a Japanese bike that's fuel injected? It seems like people mostly complain about using the wrong screwdrivers on carbs. I also saw someone claiming you could use a Wera lasertip screwdriver (phillips) and it'd be fine, but I can't imagine that's a good idea (but I do have a Wera set).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah they have them in loads of other places like the airbox and intake trumpets which are often thread locked, for example, or the handlebar switchgear.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Right after I posted that I realized I could get a 4" light duty impact Vessel driver and a Vessel stubby for $30, which seemed a lot more reasonable than the sets I was looking at on some other specialty site. I absolutely hate dealing with stripped screws so I just ordered the drivers. I've rarely regretted buying more tools anyway, except for the odd Harbor Freight purchase.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've had my vessel impact JIS philips for over a decade now, still works perfectly on the mangiest carb screws.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's good to hear, I looked at a cheap set of Hozans first but the reviews were so universally bad I didn't even bother trying them out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I learned the JIS lesson when I was changing my brake lines and didn’t realize my master cylinder isn’t philips.

Oops! Well now it’s slotted.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I learned the JIS lesson when I was changing my brake lines and didn’t realize my master cylinder isn’t philips.

Oops! Well now it’s slotted.

Same. I thought they just used really lovely screws and replaced them like 3 times before I heard what JIS was.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of the POs of my rex replaced all of the carb screws with Allen heads. I didn't even realize they were supposed to be jis heads until I'd cleaned and reinstalled the rack.

I'm guessing it was the same guy who did the cams, exhaust and jet kit.

I guess I'm lucky he a. loved his bike a lot, and b. died

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Phy posted:

I guess I'm lucky he a. loved his bike a lot, and b. died

The perfect PO.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Went to change the front sprocket just now and found the sprocket nut loose. Not finger tight, just rolling free. Thank god for lock washers... :stonklol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Been there. Pos always forget to hammer over the lock washer.

Not me, I hammer over all 6 flats of the nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I think I'll do more than one flap this time, yeah