Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm like those Russian soldiers hanging Goeth at the end of Schindler's List, kicking the stool so hard it breaks underneath them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rosa and Robert will come through, I know it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hey, you got two movies out of him!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i need more. MORE

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Prometheus owns but if we're resurrecting Ridley Scott properties I'd just as soon have a final season of Raised by Wolves.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'll take a soft reboot following Convenant that's basically Aliens, but make Danny McBride's character the new Ripley for the movie, lmao.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm a Prometheus defender.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I like Prometheus too :shobon::respek::cool:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i would have liked more David. it's looking like the Alien tv show will have some creepy android action though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a Prometheus defender against all the people who want any and every new Alien movie to be a retread of Aliens.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like Prometheus but wasn't a big fan of Covenant. Would love more Alita though, I've fallen off the manga as I wasn't a huge fan of some of the story beats in later volumes but I really liked the movie and would have seen more.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

As a Prometheus lover Covenant was pretty bad, but I've got to give credit to the ending which is mean spirited in a way only late stage Ridley Scott is capable of

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I had to pick I’d pick covenant because it’s funnier and meaner and fucks up the canon in a way I like

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

As a Prometheus lover Covenant was pretty bad, but I've got to give credit to the ending which is mean spirited in a way only late stage Ridley Scott is capable of

Hey now, the beginning is also very cruel.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Covenant > Prometheus

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Covenant > Prometheus

:hmmyes:

Wait, this isn't the Aliens thread.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
too late the nerds trying to convince everyone Prometheus was good has spread too far. only thing to do, is click another thread from your user control panel

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's that damned fool peckerhead's fault for bumping the thread with no news. They've attracted the prometheus miasma, like flies to a corpse

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it's not my fault! dreams...dreams of big eyes...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
In my dream sequel to Covenant, David is pretty much Desty Nova.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grendels Dad posted:

In my dream sequel to Covenant, David is pretty much Desty Nova.

And don't forget my dog, fixed and consequent.

(The dog is another xenomorph variant)

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Robert Rodriguez is establishing a film fund for making action movies outside the studio system. He's matching filmmakers with financiers who want to make good money on modest budget movies. He basically wants to help people make the next "John Wick" or "Hummingbird".

Personally, though, he says he can both work independently and with the big studios and streamers because they're desperate for content, and struggling with ballooning costs and time schedules, because they're working in an antiquated studio system.

He also talks about using AI as a pre-viz tool or to sell an idea, if not using it in the movie.

(The YouTube channel cut out every breathing pause, which is annoying, but otherwise a great interview.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUh4j1pvKQ

Stage32: Rodriguez action film fund

quote:

True, this is a trend that I am seeing a lot of, where people from all facets (distribution, sales, and investing) are creating genre specific film funds for slates that will effectively finance themselves. And now, one of the scrappiest directors out there is creating one for action films -- one of the most expensive genres there is.
Although Rodriguez' fund isn't big enough to fund an Alita sequel, he's building credibility at making movies under budget and on time, so hopefully that helps sell the idea of a sequel and can attract financing for it from both Disney and co-financiers.

e:grammar

Vir fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 8, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I need to get in on that. I have an action movie I want to do bad

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Kinda reminds me of what Blomkamp tried with Oats Studios. I wish that had taken off.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The studio system definitely seems broken to me, coming from a vfx background. Vfx heavy movies are usually seen as being too expensive to make on modest budgets (below 100 million) but if you don't cast super huge stars and you also have an actual vision you can do it. A lot of the recent high budget movies are they way they are because they didn't actually spend a lot of the time on the final vfx shots the audience sees, they just made the movie like 3 times because they redid the visual effects and the movie's edit from scratch multiple times because of indecisiveness and studio notes and from sitting with the film for too long and letting doubts grow and deciding to try another direction, etc.

Vfx studios can also help keep film makers accountable if they have a backbone by charging for every change. And only the studio system has the seemingly bottomless pockets to go "ugh, okay, we'll pay to make the movie for a 3rd time". Though sometimes they go "no, its good enough" then show it to test audiences, get awful feedback, and go "well, we don't have the money for reshoots or rewrites, so maybe if we redo the vfx again the audience will like it?"

This is despite many of these movies having extremely extensive full cg previz where they can make a moving animatic of the whole film before they ever try to start working on what will become the final pixels. Its crazy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'll never forget the leaked footage of X-Men Origins: Wolverine being so bad and 20th Century Fox saying "Wait! We'll fix it!"

Then they didn't and the same horrible effects were in the theatrical release.

Meanwhile everybody freaked out at the original trailer of Sonic the Hedgehog

…and Paramount actually went back and fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

Meanwhile everybody freaked out at the original trailer of Sonic the Hedgehog

…and Paramount actually went back and fixed it.

And ground a VFX studio to dust in the process.