Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like everything I've seen of this movie so far and I can't wait to wander in day one and watch it without any other customers in the cinema distracting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

I like everything I've seen of this movie so far and I can't wait to wander in day one and watch it without any other customers in the cinema distracting me.

I can't wait to wander into a cinema and then all the other people slowly swivel their heads to look at me and they all have big Alita eyes

No but seriously, I'm seeing this and hope the big eyes hubbub only helps it.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

I can't wait to wander into a cinema and then all the other people slowly swivel their heads to look at me and they all have big Alita eyes

Alita will make anime real

I dunno if the eyes will be a problem for most people. When the first teaser came out and people were freaked out by them, I showed it to my wife (who has zero interest in nerd poo poo) by way of experiment, and she didn't have a problem with Alita's look at all. (When I told her some people found it uncanny, her reaction was basically "She's a robot or something isn't she? So she's not supposed to look human anyway :shrug:")

It'll be interesting to see whether most people find them off-putting in the finished movie (assuming anyone goes to see it ha-ha), or whether the reaction we're seeing right now is just from extremely online nerds grasping for a take.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think this looks really unique (the big-eyed aesthetic really sells an uncanny valley look which should be the point with androids) and hope it does well. Had no idea GDT was the brain trust of introducing this to Cameron and now I wish he had done this movie over Cameron, ah well.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

DLC Inc posted:

I think this looks really unique (the big-eyed aesthetic really sells an uncanny valley look which should be the point with androids) and hope it does well. Had no idea GDT was the brain trust of introducing this to Cameron and now I wish he had done this movie over Cameron, ah well.

I agree with your sentiment, but I don't think it worked out that way. Scenes shared with Alita and live-action actors look like they're from a modern day Who Framed Roger. The scenes where it's Alita in all CGI environments like the underwater ship or the junkyard fight with the cyborg hulk, those look perfectly fine and pretty cool. That leads me to think it has nothing to do with her eyes, and everything to do with the quality of the CGI. It falls short of uncanny valley and instead looks like assets from a Final Fantasy movie. Uncanny is when you know there's something hosed up, but you can't quite put it into words, like Splice. The woman in splice looks horrifying and inhuman, but she doesn't look like a video game character.

I'm still seeing it. I've seen way, way worse CGI and enjoyed the movies. I just think the people who are complaining are justified, even if their kneejerk reaction is to go for the eyes instead of the totality.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

the trailer looks interesting, although I can't help but think of some of the issues with women getting blepharoplasties when I see her eyes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I still feel like the world looks too nice. Bright sunny days with colorful pennants on buildings and normal looking people milling around doesn't sell the desperation of the Junkyard. And then the wasteland apparently has nice verdant locations with clear blue waters you can go to for a nice day trip.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Apparently Alita is a fully CG character? https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/new-trailer-for-alita-battle-angel-mixes-fully-animated-lead-character-with-live-actors-162251.html

That's pretty amazing. I mean I know they used motion capture but now I'm trying to figure out how they shot the film, did she film her parts separately and then the applied the motion to the rig and composited it into the scene, or did she act in the scene and they comped her out and placed in the CG character? Wild stuff.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
It's the same way they did Avatar or pretty much any recent flick with CG characters mixed with real life ones. They act along with everyone else in the same scene (albeit in a mocap suit with a special rig to capture facial expressions and speaking). The scenes are captured simultaneously by the primary photog cameras and the mocap cameras, then CG character is comped in.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

n.. posted:

It's the same way they did Avatar or pretty much any recent flick with CG characters mixed with real life ones. They act along with everyone else in the same scene (albeit in a mocap suit with a special rig to capture facial expressions and speaking). The scenes are captured simultaneously by the primary photog cameras and the mocap cameras, then CG character is comped in.

I'd pay money for special editions that had these raw versions on a second disc. It would be the only reason for me to own Avatar.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
It looks cool.

And: Christopher Waltz!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looking at the cast list, I'm assuming that Jackie Earle Haley is playing Desty Nova but frankly I think Waltz would have been a better fit for the character.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

muscles like this! posted:

Looking at the cast list, I'm assuming that Jackie Earle Haley is playing Desty Nova but frankly I think Waltz would have been a better fit for the character.

He's in the trailer. He's the big cyborg dude whose name hasn't been announced yet

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
We really need ANOTHER movie with a waif-y infantalized grown woman who CAN FIGHT but she's also VULNERABLE, huh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

We really need ANOTHER movie with a waif-y infantalized grown woman who CAN FIGHT but she's also VULNERABLE, huh.

Hmm, the movies might go down this way, but in the comic it'S based on Gally is a pretty three-dimensional character who goes through a lot of development.

The plot also goes really crazy in the endgame.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
To be fair this story far predates most of the waifu-based movies, doesn't it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

n.. posted:

To be fair this story far predates most of the waifu-based movies, doesn't it?

Yes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What are the other movies that do this out of interest? I can't think of any.

E: that isn't by stupid Besson

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JBP posted:

What are the other movies that do this out of interest? I can't think of any.

E: that isn't by stupid Besson

Shitloads of television, a lot of it by Joss Whedon.

I understand the complaint but I've also read enough Battle Angel Alita that I don't think it's actually a problem.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 3, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wasn't the short-lived TV series Dark Angel, like, directly inspired by BAA?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I was actually very pleasantly surprised that the comic didn't take that route (I just started reading this last year and had no idea about the story beforehand), so if the movie does go there I'll be really sad.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alita usually doesn't give off the overly innocent vibe in the comics. The design they've given her in the movies and the lines in the trailer do make her seem that way though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Actually, one of the points in the early arcs is that Ido is trying to make her into an innocent girl when she isn't that at all.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Anyone even slightly interested should just watch the OAV.

It compresses a lot of stuff from the manga but it's really entertaining. NSFW though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Don't "just" watch the OAV, it's not bad per se, but at most it's a semi-coherent take on the first few chapters.

The original manga run is fantastic (and not all that long) and then if you want more there's Last Order and Mars Chronicle.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also the art in the manga is just gorgeous whereas the OAV...isn't, so you're missing out on that

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

...but at most it's a semi-coherent take...

This a lot of 80s/90s manga-turned anime though... :v:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DrSunshine posted:

Wasn't the short-lived TV series Dark Angel, like, directly inspired by BAA?

Yeah, the Battle Angel creator wouldn’t sell Cameron the rights so he made his own version.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, the Battle Angel creator wouldn’t sell Cameron the rights so he made his own version.

I wonder what made the creator change their mind now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Revolver Bunker posted:

I wonder what made the creator change their mind now.

Dark Angel was a pretty good show, so it probably gave him some measure of faith that the concept would be done justice.

Alternately, the pile of money kept getting bigger and bigger until it got big enough for Kishiro to fold.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

kinda beside the point. Pacific Rim entered pop culture in a way that GU2 absolutely the hell did not, and if Alita gets smacked down in the box office it'll probably similarly outlive whatever beats it.

For what it's worth (probably nothing), I have no idea what Pacific Rim is besides being the name of a movie I see referenced sometimes online. If I were to guess I'd say it's about World War II but I really don't know, I've never seen a trailer or anything.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

lizardman posted:

For what it's worth (probably nothing), I have no idea what Pacific Rim is besides being the name of a movie I see referenced sometimes online. If I were to guess I'd say it's about World War II but I really don't know, I've never seen a trailer or anything.

Pacific Rim is a divisive movie. People that enjoy having fun liked it, and people that don't want to have fun disliked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuZPIc8nSk

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Donnerberg posted:

Pacific Rim is a divisive movie. People that enjoy having fun liked it, and people that don't want to have fun disliked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuZPIc8nSk

I think Pacific Rim is great and yeah my friends are heavily divided between it being a sublime monster fighting robot fun fest and being total unwatchable poo poo. People that don't like pacrim are po-faced losers as far as I'm concerned.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth Kishiro seems to like the big eyes.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

based on what he's drawing these days, he would also like it if she had weird tumors all over her boobs

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Clipperton posted:

based on what he's drawing these days, he would also like it if she had weird tumors all over her boobs

Let's not do this. :smith: BAA has always had crazy, bizarre, grotesque stuff. Remember Nova's room full of cyber horror? In fact I'd say that's one of the appeal factors in the series -- just the level of sheer off the wall crazy and absurd grotesque stuff. There's a kind of dark comedy to it all that I just love; the madcap horror of it all.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Its a small point, but I wonder how much of the background story is going to be kept. Will it still take place in Kansas City?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

Its a small point, but I wonder how much of the background story is going to be kept. Will it still take place in Kansas City?

They better not wuss out and have Alita NOT be a Martian Kung Fu Terrorist who killed millions of people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

7c Nickel posted:

They better not wuss out and have Alita NOT be a Martian Kung Fu Terrorist who killed millions of people.

The funny thing is, they wouldn't have to address this for a long loving time the way they're adapting the story, and yet the trailer kinda hints that some of the Yoko stuff is sticking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Delayed again to some unknown 2019 date.