Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I mean, people who live in an area tend to clean it up at least a little. People don't voluntarily live in muddy filth despite what postapocalyptica has conditioned us to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Not as a whole though. I literally lived in Detroit projects and people really did try.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The apartments I lived in in college had crack heads and dealers and they were very clean, the laundry room included

Later in life I lived in a revitalized ghetto and it looked like suburbs of Washington state

:shrug:

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

precision posted:

The apartments I lived in in college had crack heads and dealers and they were very clean, the laundry room included

Later in life I lived in a revitalized ghetto and it looked like suburbs of Washington state

:shrug:

The reason why people are saying this is because the idea that upper middle class people have of how poor people live is different then how they really live.

If your poor, grew up poor, or born in a non-first world county you know that people try even if they don't have the money.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nessus posted:

I mean, people who live in an area tend to clean it up at least a little. People don't voluntarily live in muddy filth despite what postapocalyptica has conditioned us to believe.

Yeah, I'm just going on what I remember seeing in the anime all those years ago though. I remember junk falling from the flying city shown multiple times through it, junk just sat in the streets, abandoned and tin shack buildings with wonky signs on them, packs of dogs feeding from overturned bins, tech thrown together from bits and pieces... Junkyards and junk. Maybe the manga is different, I've never read it I'm just noting the live action trailer being a little too clean looking in comparison.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's more or less the same in the manga. The city's very much a lawless place with the only thing resembling a government being the factories that manufacture stuff to ship up to the floating city.

Edit: This made me reread the first few chapters to see the city's look. It's mostly a decaying factory aesthetic.

Also: shout out to Makaku's talking pighead codpiece battle computer. Alita doesn't even bat an eye when it pipes up out of nowhere :laffo:

Kassad fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 22, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kassad posted:

It's more or less the same in the manga. The city's very much a lawless place with the only thing resembling a government being the factories that manufacture stuff to ship up to the floating city.

Edit: This made me reread the first few chapters to see the city's look. It's mostly a decaying factory aesthetic.

Also: shout out to Makaku's talking pighead codpiece battle computer. Alita doesn't even bat an eye when it pipes up out of nowhere :laffo:

I'll bet the story behind that is that it started off as just a :krad: sick metal-as-gently caress decoration that Kishiro drew, and then he needed something to narrate and just was like "gently caress it I'll have it be the boar head on his crotch!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah, I'm just going on what I remember seeing in the anime all those years ago though. I remember junk falling from the flying city shown multiple times through it, junk just sat in the streets, abandoned and tin shack buildings with wonky signs on them, packs of dogs feeding from overturned bins, tech thrown together from bits and pieces... Junkyards and junk. Maybe the manga is different, I've never read it I'm just noting the live action trailer being a little too clean looking in comparison.
Ehh I didn't see anything in the trailer that really went against it. You see the inside of Ido's shop but Ido was always relatively well-set as far as these things go.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The city in the manga is the kind of place where no one looks twice at Ido when he's bleeding from the stomach and carrying the severed upper torso of Alita through a crowd. They're at least polite enough not to trample them when the two collapse in the street though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tormented posted:

The reason why people are saying this is because the idea that upper middle class people have of how poor people live is different then how they really live.

If your poor, grew up poor, or born in a non-first world county you know that people try even if they don't have the money.

100% this. Plus something else I think people miss with this is that, like if we're going to go back and look at Blade Runner since it was so influential on this. I think people say they want it to look "messier" because that's magically more "dystopian" but what I think they're really looking for is the detailed density to all of the clutter everywhere in stuff like Blade Runner or Hardware. Like Deckard's apartment is absolutely full of stuff, but, it's super detailed, but I think with distance people look back and see it as messy or not upkept or whatever.

I do think this is something Alita does miss out on a little bit from what we've seen, like in a cyberpunk dystopia I'd expect the infrastructure itself to be ramshackle or or in bad shape (something this movie doesn't quite seem to have nailed) but there's a huge difference between that and like garbage covering every surface.

But the comic really did that have that kind of high detail that the movie seems to lack so far.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kassad posted:

Yeah, the only thing looking like government are the Deckmen, which are largely lobotomized head-in-jar clerks that do all the clerical, logistics work around the Junkyard. Everyone is largely subcontracted from them, such as the Hunter-Killers and the Rail Mercenaries. There IS a military/security section, but it only appears whenever there's an actual threat to Zalem/Tiphares, like when the Barjack actually try to make a move on city and even that's after the Tuned and the central computer largely deals with external threats.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puKWa8hrvA8

New trailer with a slew of new stuff. The terraforming wars (or whatever they'll make of that), armblade and more motorball. Actually getting excited for this now!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am looking forward to the movie, but I do worry that they are trying to cram too much into one movie. It really feels like enough for two or three movies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lockmat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puKWa8hrvA8

New trailer with a slew of new stuff. The terraforming wars (or whatever they'll make of that), armblade and more motorball. Actually getting excited for this now!

Blue Oyster Cult logo spotted on Zapan's forehead, movie saved.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

I am looking forward to the movie, but I do worry that they are trying to cram too much into one movie. It really feels like enough for two or three movies.

Seconding this. Somewhat worried :ohdear: that it'll be way too packed-in, but I am getting increasingly hyped for the action, which is starting to look extremely cool.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not seeing it!

Also armblade!

Motorball segments look straight out of the manga. Hugo / Alita on the transport tube ending looks straight out of the anime.

This is look great!

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

MonsieurChoc posted:

We have trenchcoat, I say again we have trenchcoat.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A lot of the scenes are word-for-word translations of the actual scenes in the manga!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Looks from the trailer that she was involved in some sort of ground assault on Tiphares during the war and not her manga origin, which is sort of disappointing but I can live with it. Still I gotta say that surviving re-entry sans limbs woulda been metal as gently caress, super-terrorism or no.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tormented posted:

Not seeing it!

Pause when he's slamming Yugo. It's small but it's there.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Pause when he's slamming Yugo. It's small but it's there.

Wow its flesh colored. It was hard to find even when I directly looking for it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It seems like a self-inflicted scar.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Now that we've seen many more robots, I'm a bit let down by their design and color. They all look too busy and too gray. I don't know if it's a deliberate reference to Kubrick's AI, but that's what most of the bots remind me of. The way I remember the manga, there where a lot more flat surfaces and pipes and whatnot involved in the design of most robots.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Needs more neon, I agree. The heavily saturated aesthetic of GDT's film's is how always imagine a live action Battle Angel would look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDfwrHuMRI

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

teagone posted:

Needs more neon, I agree. The heavily saturated aesthetic of GDT's film's is how always imagine a live action Battle Angel would look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDfwrHuMRI

Oh my god. Imagine: Battle Angel directed by Jean-Claude Jeunet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, as bad as Alien Resurrection was, I was always loved the look of that film of his the most.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I hope this does well and somehow leads to a live-action Armitage III movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy loving oh my god this looks amazing :chanpop:

I can't wait for February holy gently caress

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

Looks from the trailer that she was involved in some sort of ground assault on Tiphares during the war and not her manga origin, which is sort of disappointing but I can live with it. Still I gotta say that surviving re-entry sans limbs woulda been metal as gently caress, super-terrorism or no.
Well the problem with the manga origin is the complication of how she gets to that point, while "a soldier, who fell off the side, and then, to Earth" is simple and if they only make the one movie, self contained.

Have... have they cast Nova?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Jean-Pierre!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Nessus posted:

Well the problem with the manga origin is the complication of how she gets to that point, while "a soldier, who fell off the side, and then, to Earth" is simple and if they only make the one movie, self contained.

This is true, but they don't necessarily need to have an answer to a lot of her amnesia in the course of one movie even if it's a one-and-done. Like, have a flashback of her falling through the atmosphere without much other context? That's just as simple. Could also keep the flashback soldier stuff without directly connecting it all, make it seem like she was in a spaceship that got hole punched. Isn't that what happened in the original series ending before TLO retconned it?

Right now I figure they're doing it this way for a narrative echo when she tries to save Hugo from falling off the same cable.

Also little detail, in the flashback she has 99 on her shoulder.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Scrapyard definitely looking shinier than I'd've liked but otherwise WOOOOOOOOO

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You reckon they've (please excuse the pun) scrapped the scrap yard?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You reckon they've (please excuse the pun) scrapped the scrap yard?
I figure some of it is just that we're seeing the place in long shots in color during the golden hour in the trailer. That poo poo'll make anything look good.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Clipperton posted:

Scrapyard definitely looking shinier than I'd've liked but otherwise WOOOOOOOOO

Man anyone who had a problem with Gal Gadot being "too small" to be Wonder Woman are gonna lose their poo poo, understanding that Alita is a cyborg or not

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm more so disappointed about the lips tbh. Otherwise I think she looks great.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
And they're still writing "Alita" the same way as on the manga :swoon:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I think you’ll find that in the manga they spelled it “Gally.” :colbert:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Aces High posted:

Man anyone who had a problem with Gal Gadot being "too small" to be Wonder Woman are gonna lose their poo poo, understanding that Alita is a cyborg or not

Maybe we can be offended that they didn't cast an actual quadruple amputee for the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I can't believe they didn't cast an actual full-body cyborg! This movie is bullshit!!