Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkBd1OfRTgc

First song to be released from the sound track. More R&B / Pop and less synthwave that comes to be expected from cyberpunk.

Guess with the 80mil+ that was lost in Blade Runner 2049 they are looking to make the supporting media a bit more mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I, uh... what? :psyduck:

I don't hate this at all, but it seems... unfitting?

e: like, not just the R&B/pop-ness of it, the general tone of the song seems way WAY off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like that song a lot but it seems pretty off tone yeah, more of a Disney vibe

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Eh. It sounds like something that'd play at the end credits. Movie Credit music is oftentimes pop that has little to do with the actual movie, right? I can forgive that!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Obviously the movie theme should be Pitbull rapping over a beat from Blue Oyster Cult's Imaginos. Preferably The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

I can't believe they didn't cast an actual full-body cyborg! This movie is bullshit!!

Limbwashing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vanderdeath posted:

Obviously the movie theme should be Pitbull rapping over a beat from Blue Oyster Cult's Imaginos. Preferably The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein.

You, you I like.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vanderdeath posted:

Granddaughter it’s a foreign chassis, taken from the scrapyard by crime!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tormented posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkBd1OfRTgc

First song to be released from the sound track. More R&B / Pop and less synthwave that comes to be expected from cyberpunk.

Guess with the 80mil+ that was lost in Blade Runner 2049 they are looking to make the supporting media a bit more mainstream.

"alright who can we get for the soundtrack that has a name that would look good in our font?"

"my daughter loves to listen to someone whose name is basically 'du alita', we could get her"

"perfect. great job everyone, extra long lunch today!"

edit: all of the german fans are going to think that someone hosed up the spelling of the movie title

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

teagone posted:

The push back to February was basically the film's death sentence. For those that don't know, the film was originally supposed to be released in July 2018. Then it got pushed to December 2018, and then one last push to February 2019. You could say it's strategic scheduling, but I'd guess the film isn't tracking well at all and Fox probably doesn't have faith in the movie pulling in any kind of significant profit. If only Cameron would have just let go of Avatar for a few years (and I loving love Avatar), then Alita would've definitely had a better chance at becoming a franchise of films.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Who needs a franchise? How bout just a good sci-fi flick?

Jerkface posted:

I think the new trailer is their best one yet, I saw it before Widows and felt like it actually sold the movie to me more than the original 2.

I'm avoiding watching too many trailers, but I thought trailer 1 was pretty drat good.

precision posted:

I guess I'm disconnected because even though all I have are vague memories of watching the anime like 30 years ago, I think this looks really good :shrug:

I'm there with ya. I don't really get hyped for blockbuster cinema that often, maybe once in a blue moon. Alita looks just different enough to intrigue.

Clipperton posted:

And they're still writing "Alita" the same way as on the manga :swoon:

It's like her name is punching in two directions simultaneously :allears:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah this movie is going to tank so loving hard

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah this movie is going to tank so loving hard

I think it'll do better than Mortal Engines (lol) but, yeah, I wouldn't want to be expecting a great return on any investment.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The way I look at it is: they spent $150 million making a movie laser-targeted at me and half a dozen other 90s-manga nerds

That's like getting a $20 million Christmas bonus this year

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I mean, James Cameron is, like, a billionaire. If he wants to spend $150 million on a flop film as a vanity project, I'd say let him!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Who needs a franchise? How bout just a good sci-fi flick?

Sure. I'd say that about most adapted properties or original works, but the source material for Alita has so much good content that, as a fan of the manga, I want as much of that content adapted without making too many compromises in order to stuff everything into one film. Three films, plan it as a trilogy or something. I'm saying if Cameron were attached as director/writer, then Alita would have had a higher chance of being a trilogy or series of films as opposed to him just being a producer.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 250 days!

teagone posted:

Sure. I'd say that about most adapted properties or original works, but the source material for Alita has so much good content that, as a fan of the manga, I want as much of that content adapted without making too many compromises in order to stuff everything into one film. Three films, plan it as a trilogy or something. I'm saying if Cameron were attached as director/writer, then Alita would have had a higher chance of being a trilogy or series of films as opposed to him just being a producer.

We're talking about a guy whose hobby is exploring the Mariana Trench, so it's not like he can't do it just because he wants to see them made as well if he really wants to.

At that point, it'd be a sad testament to ideology were he to be too hung up on what Hollywood considers "a successful film."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Actually, yeah, that's a good point. This has been Cameron's passion project for literally almost two decades. Unless this bombs so hard that it just completely demoralizes him on the idea, we'll probably get the others.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

teagone posted:

Cameron is just a means to an end in my opinion. I haven't cared about one of his films since the original Terminator, so if you ask me it's better that he's only peripherally affiliated so he can just concentrate on making 5 or 6 more blue man group movies.

Not huge into Rodriguez either, but at least he's demonstrated that he can adapt comic book source material to some degree.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teagone posted:

I really want to see Desty Nova on the big screen.

Also the vampire flashback arc that only I love.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm just astonished and happy this drat thing is happening at all, even greater that they're doing Motorball instead of just retreading the first volume again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Nessus posted:

I'm just astonished and happy this drat thing is happening at all, even greater that they're doing Motorball instead of just retreading the first volume again.

Again?

Also, I'm pretty disappointed about the inclusion of Motorball because that just makes it a small plot beat in a movie that is probably going to be pretty packed as is. I doubt we will see Jashugan showing up in this one, which is sad because similarly to Makaku he and his interaction with Alita could have easily carried a movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know what the hell this is, nor do I honestly care about it or want to see it, but I’m happy people are excited for it. That’s cool! I sincerely hope it lives up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The OVA is basically the first volume but with Makaku replaced with a new villain (who it seems like we're getting in this).

Given that the original three movie plan was for #1 to be the first volume/OVA material, #2 to be motorball, and #3 to be the Tuned arc, I have a feeling we're not getting the full motorball arc in this one, just enough to set it up for a sequel.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know what the hell this is, nor do I honestly care about it or want to see it, but I’m happy people are excited for it. That’s cool! I sincerely hope it lives up.

I'm happy that you're happy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, I'm pretty disappointed about the inclusion of Motorball because that just makes it a small plot beat in a movie that is probably going to be pretty packed as is. I doubt we will see Jashugan showing up in this one, which is sad because similarly to Makaku he and his interaction with Alita could have easily carried a movie.

Yeah this. The motorball arc could easily be its own film.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

It's an awesome manga and an ok-ish OVA getting adapted.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
I just had a look at the listing for the soundtrack and if the track listing follows the plot beats of the movie, which it looks like it would, then the movie will end with the first motorball race, instead if having it somewhere in the middle of the film, like I feared. if it is then that looks to be a pretty good segue into a motorball focused sequel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lockmat posted:

I just had a look at the listing for the soundtrack and if the track listing follows the plot beats of the movie, which it looks like it would, then the movie will end with the first motorball race, instead if having it somewhere in the middle of the film, like I feared. if it is then that looks to be a pretty good segue into a motorball focused sequel.

Also Nova's orders seems like at least setting up the sequel.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean as long as Nova makes an appearance I'm not too upset about where they decide to conclude the movie. Even if they never continue the series I'd rather have a good adaptation of the material than an over-compressed mess.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
See, I'm exactly the opposite - I want them to cram in as many kickass set pieces lifted from the comics as possible, even if it turns the plot into complete gibberish :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Would be kinda cool to visit this if I lived in one of those cities :sigh:

https://twitter.com/AlitaExperience/status/1085556283246301189

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

teagone posted:

Would be kinda cool to visit this if I lived in one of those cities :sigh:

https://twitter.com/AlitaExperience/status/1085556283246301189

Oh sweet Austin, I'll try to check this out

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I just kind of realized something: this movie honestly seems a lot more humorless than the manga, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Like, the Alita manga is a hair away from being straight-up black comedy. The little robot guys that handle bounty hunter bureaucracy, for example, are basically regular people who signed up for a job without realizing that their brains were going to be torn out of their heads, rewired for total obedience, and stuffed in little metal cylinders with weird faces; this is just kind of played off in a 4-panel side strip as a joke, rather than treated as any kind of serious plot point. Makaku literally tearing people's heads open and feasting upon the pink goo inside is treated by most non-Alita characters as completely and utterly normal beyond "oh poo poo, it's that brain-eating guy, probably time to RUN now." I mean, gently caress, the Scrapyard is canonically what's left of Kansas City, MO in 500 years.

(Speaking of, I'm a little annoyed they're not doing that virtual-board-game thing in Kansas City, all things considered; you'd think they'd be leaning into that for the American adaptation.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That interactive world building board game thing seems maybe fun but like, $25 to get advertised to I'm probably gonna skip it, it's cool that they built entire sets for it though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The promo clips you can find of some of the action scenes on Youtube aren't really doing anything for me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I just kind of realized something: this movie honestly seems a lot more humorless than the manga, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Like, the Alita manga is a hair away from being straight-up black comedy. The little robot guys that handle bounty hunter bureaucracy, for example, are basically regular people who signed up for a job without realizing that their brains were going to be torn out of their heads, rewired for total obedience, and stuffed in little metal cylinders with weird faces; this is just kind of played off in a 4-panel side strip as a joke, rather than treated as any kind of serious plot point. Makaku literally tearing people's heads open and feasting upon the pink goo inside is treated by most non-Alita characters as completely and utterly normal beyond "oh poo poo, it's that brain-eating guy, probably time to RUN now." I mean, gently caress, the Scrapyard is canonically what's left of Kansas City, MO in 500 years.

(Speaking of, I'm a little annoyed they're not doing that virtual-board-game thing in Kansas City, all things considered; you'd think they'd be leaning into that for the American adaptation.)
We know they've got deckmen at least. I figure they're putting the action forward and they seem to have omitted Makaku entirely (which is probably fair, TBF, I'm not sure how they'd rate bloodless brain violence)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The promo clips you can find of some of the action scenes on Youtube aren't really doing anything for me.

Yeah, same :sigh: I really don't like the muddy looking aesthetic of the film either.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm excited to see a big studio romp that isn't just the same poo poo again. Fury Road already seems like a long time ago, and the fumes from all these dogdick Marvel films are starting to get to me.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm excited to see a big studio romp that isn't just the same poo poo again. Fury Road already seems like a long time ago, and the fumes from all these dogdick Marvel films are starting to get to me.

Lol if you think there is ever going to be a non-marvel movie made again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They represent less than 5% of the theater experiences I have annually but 95% of the marketing that perpetually saturates my environment