Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
She also gets a an AI gun at some point.

We still don't know the story behind that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Alita's an anime protagonist, getting completely destroyed and coming back even stronger is Tuesday.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I believe her latest body is all nanomachines, so what else is there for her to improve to?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
She can't use that body in (non-rigged) Motorball. The last scene of the movie shows her wearing a custom Motorball body.

At least the parts of the manga where Alita could move at relativistic speeds to the point that she notices red-shift has been de-canonized if I remember correctly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I believe her latest body is all nanomachines, so what else is there for her to improve to?

Ghost nanomachines, duh.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The nanomachines are also wearing suits made of even smaller nanomachines

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Canada is also getting a re-release: Alita: Battle Angel showtimes :canada:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Why is this being re-released?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

doomisland posted:

:capitalism:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

doomisland posted:

Turns out no movies were made this year.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah sorry, what I meant was why was this one movie selected over others

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I guess this is an elephant in the room that has been gnawing at my mind: do people in the Alita world gently caress? Like when they get full body replacements do they get boners or what?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you saw the OVA or read the manga people still bone at least the Terran dwellers do.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

not sure what happens in Last Order and Martian Chronicles but it is implied (and I believe mentioned outright a couple times) in BAA that cyborgs can get enhancements for the purposes of sex. Some jokes are made towards Alita about her being more suited as a prostitute than a fighter (before she beats the poo poo out of them, of course) and towards the end of the series she reflects on when her mission is done, she will go far away from Iron City, retire her combat chassis and settle down with the guy who replaces Hugo.

That's what I remember, gonna have to reread the last couple arcs to see if I hosed something up there.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

doomisland posted:

Yeah sorry, what I meant was why was this one movie selected over others
It's not the only movie getting a re-release, but I guess since the distributor is loading it into harddrives and sending it out to one chain of theaters, it's not much more work to send it out to all of them.

IMAX is promoting it together with Halloween and IT 2:
https://twitter.com/IMAX/status/1320757312051683329
They do have a point about the first part of the movie, which is about a guy cutting young girls up like Buffalo Bill - but the second half of the movie is not particularly Halloweeny.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

I guess this is an elephant in the room that has been gnawing at my mind: do people in the Alita world gently caress? Like when they get full body replacements do they get boners or what?

Even as PG-13 as the film is, Alita still drat near jumps Hugo.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Where are the hormones coming from?

Not trying to be gross. She's basically a brain in a jar. Hormones come from glands she doesn't have.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 28, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The MSJ posted:

In the manga, there's a big correlation between getting a full-body replacement and being batshit insane and getting off on eating brains or being utterly driven by some kind of personal quest that leaves no room for anything like sexual desire or self-preservation.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GORDON posted:

Where are the hormones coming from?

Not trying to be gross. She's basically a brain in a jar. Hormones come from glands she doesn't have.

The writer's glands, mainly.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Yeah, unless you're very rich and eccentric, becoming a full body cyborg in Iron City is a sexless evolutionary dead end. The brain has several hormone producing glands, but testosterone and estrogen are not part of those, so you'll have to buy them from somewhere if you want their effects. In the manga, the Zalemites and the Jovians make babies without any corporeal method, completely artificial reproduction, if I recall correctly. The Venutians are just crazy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

duz posted:

Turns out no movies were made this year.

I'm just guessing here, could the lack of performance on the film have caused it to be easier for theaters to pick up / air in situations like this?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

how are we defining performance in this situation? Alita may have only made 85 million in NA but did fairly well abroad and has a very dedicated fanbase across NA that has been quite vocal about giving the film a second chance. I doubt this will really make that much of a difference or dent

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:tinfoil: Maybe Disney gave the greenlight for an Alita re-release to gauge hard numbers on potential interest for the IP this far out from its original theatrical release. Disney+ is super starved for original/new content, and if the Alita's re-release hits a certain number, maybe then the studio heads would think developing an Alita series/sequel/anime/whatever for Disney+ wouldn't be much of a risk for them.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

teagone posted:

:tinfoil: Maybe Disney gave the greenlight for an Alita re-release to gauge hard numbers on potential interest for the IP this far out from its original theatrical release. Disney+ is super starved for original/new content, and if the Alita's re-release hits a certain number, maybe then the studio heads would think developing an Alita series/sequel/anime/whatever for Disney+ wouldn't be much of a risk for them.

I can totally believe this theory. Add in the fact it's PG-13 means it still stays on-brand for a Disney+ product that will be accessible for a larger audience.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The youngest member of KPop group Everglow performed dressed as Alita. KPop fans go wild.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMOZFpRFj9M
e: Linking to video that isn't copyright-claimed.

Vir fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 30, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

teagone posted:

I think the long term prospects for an Alita sequel look brighter than ever now that theaters are currently closed and the MCU business model is dead in the loving water may it rest in piss

biggest impediment to an Alita sequel was always going to be the endless marvel content pipeline

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

So far it seems like the main obstacle has been to get James Cameron's attention away from Avatar long enough to get it made. They should probably stick with Rodriguez or someone else not-James Cameron if we want to see this movie in our lifetime.

Some fans made a prequel trailer. It's a bit indie game pre-viz quality in the first half, but it's still pretty neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LhJEyVrNIs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vir posted:

So far it seems like the main obstacle has been to get James Cameron's attention away from Avatar long enough to get it made. They should probably stick with Rodriguez or someone else not-James Cameron if we want to see this movie in our lifetime.

Some fans made a prequel trailer. It's a bit indie game pre-viz quality in the first half, but it's still pretty neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LhJEyVrNIs

I want a Rodriguez sequel. I've got no love for Cameron unless he's sticking to producing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I'm a Cameron fanboy, but I've come around to him staying firmly in a producing role for any Alita-related media moving forward.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The story of Cameron and these Avatar sequels is one of the most bizarre in film history. Dude pissed away an entire decade of his career, if not more.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

The story of Cameron and these Avatar sequels is one of the most bizarre in film history. Dude pissed away an entire decade of his career, if not more.

Not really. After Titanic, Cameron basically went soul-searching doing deep dives and ocean exploration; stuff he always wanted to do. Underwater exploration was a childhood dream of his, so he was basically living his dream. Dude also helped advance technologies for filming underwater for his documentary work, tech I'm guessing that has been applied to the upcoming Avatar sequels. His career basically went beyond making blockbuster films post-Titanic and shifted more towards his personal interests/passions, and the Avatar films are sort of a reflection of that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dude has always been in it for the tech whizzbangs rather than the narrative possibilities.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

teagone posted:

This is very optimistic but I think the real answer is that desperate theaters begged for content, and stuff that has dedicated fan bases is more likely to put butts in over-sanitized seats.

Maybe if it gets enough people Disney will take notice but the only thing that I’ll learn if Akita does well at this particular moment is that Alita fans are dumb as poo poo, because COVID numbers are going up basically everywhere and the theater is the last place anyone should be

edit: not changing my misspelling

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 29, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DC Murderverse posted:

This is very optimistic but I think the real answer is that desperate theaters begged for content, and stuff that has dedicated fan bases is more likely to put butts in over-sanitized seats.

Maybe if it gets enough people Disney will take notice but the only thing that I’ll learn if Akita does well at this particular moment is that Alita fans are dumb as poo poo, because COVID numbers are going up basically everywhere and the theater is the last place anyone should be

edit: not changing my misspelling

Best guess? As an olive branch for pulling a few movies out of cinemas and onto streaming, movie chains received a list of of movies Disney would supply at very favorable rates. Nothing earth shattering so chains went with the best performers of the titles offered.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Akita: Battle Angel

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ashiba: Fluff Angel

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I expected this guy to tell me to never play with swords, but instead he’s watching Alita on the big screen for the first time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFj3oz4ebiw
As action set pieces are a big part of the appeal, it’s nice that people get a second chance. It seems many discovered this movie after the theatrical run.

DC Murderverse posted:

Case in point, there's a maniac on Twitter spending the money he saved from Alita merchandise hardly existing, by buying all the front row seats across the country. At that point you could just call up Bob Iger and ask him if you can finance the movie for him.

In sane(er) people world, if capacity is limited to like 40%, it doesn't cost much to buy a whole auditorium for a group - especially since many of the screenings cost something like $1 or $5 per ticket - so I wouldn't be surprised if people do that. As per usual, it's the popcorn and drinks that make the most money.

Vir fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 30, 2020

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Disney is saving Alita for their first multi-season anime that will be released on + and will cover the original series through Last Order and Mars Chronicle.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Weta Digital posted a new video about how they modeled Iron City:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQAoL7KBuzs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kassad posted:

In the manga, there's a big correlation between getting a full-body replacement and being batshit insane and getting off on eating brains or being utterly driven by some kind of personal quest that leaves no room for anything like sexual desire or self-preservation.

Yeah, that sounds about right. In the movie most of the full body cyborgs are bounty hunters, serial killers, and rollerball players.