Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well there are other full-body cyborgs that settle down as Zapan winds up having a family after the botched "destroy Alita" bit with Hugo, but then he is reminded of her and then he goes insane and on a murder spree but it is fair to say that Alita is probably the most well-adjusted of them, at least in BAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Am I right to assume that Zalem cyborgs would all be sleeker and shinier than the ones in Iron City?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right. In the movie most of the full body cyborgs are bounty hunters, serial killers, and rollerball players.

With some overlap.

The MSJ posted:

Am I right to assume that Zalem cyborgs would all be sleeker and shinier than the ones in Iron City?

You'd think so, but some Iron City borgs are clearly overcompensating.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
In the crowd shots, you can see a few low quality full replacement cyborgs walking around. They're probably just going to work in the factory like the rest of the workers, and might be on the path to becoming a Deckman.

The MSJ posted:

Based on the manga, Zalem hates cyborgs like the plague, and is all about creating genetically and socially perfect humans through eugenics and social engineering. Being a cyborg or being born unable to walk would both be reason for being cast out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
But also in the manga Desty Nova is not the master of Zalem but a mad scientist who got exiled for being, well, mad.

So there's gonna be big differences down the line.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Even that plot line can be slowly revealed over time.

I just signed up for Disney+ and now I'm jonesing for an Alita series. :pray:

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

More effects breakdowns from Weta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKtis34i8AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMI2QTh0dLQ

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Criminal Copyright Infringement of Alita Movie Leads to 4-Year Prison Sentence in China

quote:

According to an October 27, 2020 report in the People’s Court Daily, the People’s Court of Fangcheng County, Henan Province recently sentenced 8 defendants to prison for copyright infringement of several movies including “Alita: Battle Angel” and several Chinese movies. The Court sentenced the defendant Wang to four years in prison and fined him 1.5 million yuan. The other defendants were sentenced from one year and two months in prison to three years and six months in prison.
I thought China didn't care that much about copyright, but when it's Alita and Chinese-made movies, it's off to prison. The sheer audacity of hacking a theater and starting your own movie theater to play pirated movies is pretty staggering:

quote:

In addition, from June 2015, the defendant Li opened a theater in Longshan County, Hunan Province, playing pirated films obtained from Wang and others without the permission of relevant copyright owners such as China Film and Television.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
they don't care about patents and trademarks period, and they don't care about copyrights as long as you keep it on the DL.

this guy, er, did kinda the opposite of that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

they've had a bootleg theatre running for 5 years and only now got caught? That's kinda awesome, but I wonder how much they were charging compared to going to a legal theatre

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

If they wanted to not get caught, charging the same as the other theaters would probably be the safest bet. If they had stuck to being a second run discount theater, maybe nobody would have ever noticed.

For some reason, Alita kept running in Russia-occupied East Ukraine in July 2019, long after it had stopped running in the rest of the world. I wonder if that too was a bootleg theater, and why Alita was so popular in a literal war zone.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vir posted:

why Alita was so popular in a literal war zone.

former USSR countries tend to be pretty big on cyberpunk, for whatever reason :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

former USSR countries tend to be pretty big on cyberpunk, for whatever reason :shrug:

disintegrating postindustrial capitalist nightmare?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yes, but what about the former Soviet bloc?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

grassy gnoll posted:

Yes, but what about the former Soviet bloc?

what i said plus vodka

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vir posted:

Criminal Copyright Infringement of Alita Movie Leads to 4-Year Prison Sentence in China

I thought China didn't care that much about copyright, but when it's Alita and Chinese-made movies, it's off to prison. The sheer audacity of hacking a theater and starting your own movie theater to play pirated movies is pretty staggering:

Free the reel

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Grace Randolph claims there's chatter about something Alita related at Disney. Maybe it's just the re-release.
https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1327023140510294018
For some reason Disney refused to provide a box office result for the second weekend of the re-release to BoxOfficeMojo and The-Numbers.com, which makes me wonder if they're doing some sort of press release based on it, or that it was just below the reporting threshold.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:pray:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grace Randolf is insane and like the alex Jones of movie people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah if Grace Randolph is saying we're getting Alita 2, that's as good an indication as any that we're not getting Alita 2.

she's generally wrong about everything, and she's generally wrong about everything in ways that imply she actually does have the "real" scoop and is just altering it to gently caress with people. like her Birds of Prey "spoilers," which were about 50% dead-on and 50% shitposts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If theres one thing I want her to ever be right about, it's this. But yeah, she's just as bad as that heroichollywood guy.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The executive producer on Alita, David Valdes, was recently interviewed about Alita (among other topics).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvyt6alJGs8&t=697s
  • He said that at least one 20th Century Fox executive was pushing for a sequel already during Alita's initial release, but that the process stalled due to the Disney merger.
  • He suggests that Alita was profitable, in the "grey area" where a sequel isn't immediately obvious, but isn't unheard of either.
  • Due to the change in management at 20th Century, they'd have to make Disney familiar with the project again. At the moment, he thinks Disney is too worried about its current slate of films and Covid to think about greenlighting new projects.
  • He thinks that external financing is an option, but not crowdfunding - rather a substantial financial partnership in the tune of several tens of millions.
  • Texas was actually not in the initial list of places where they were going to shoot the movie. They were looking at places like Vancouver, Budapest (where BR2049 was shot) and other places with better financial incentives. Texas is actually one of the most expensive places to shoot a movie, but because Rodriguez had his studio, preferred crew and family in Austin, they shot it there.
  • He confirms Rodriguez' reputation for making movies under budget and finishing before schedule.
  • Some of the crew and art department from the Avatar project worked on Alita during delays on Avatar. (This is also said in the "making-of" documentary.)
  • Valdes's main role on the movie was executive producer. He also acted as the unit production manager until Susan McNamara took over that role.
He might be incorrect in that Rodriguez had read the manga before he got on the Alita project - I think he might have seen the anime?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Huh, I bet Rodriguez shooting under budget & on-time balanced out the :20bux: the studio paid for filming in Texas.

I think Disney has an opportunity to use Alita as a Disney+ project. Right now their biggest his is The Mandalorian and everybody's chomping at the bit for the Marvel shows.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Robert Rodriguez also directed at least one episode of the current season of The Mandalorian. His episode(s) haven't aired yet, and he's not writing them as far as I know. With all the source material that Alita has, a mini series would actually do it justice more than just a trilogy would - even though I would prefer to see it in the cinema.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I too want to see it in cinemas, if to fully exploit the large screens to convey the epic nature of the series.

If that fails, a TV ministers (or several) would suffice.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Zack Snyder has dropped hints in recent interviews that he wants ZSJL to be seen in Imax, so I guess there is a precedent being explored to put miniseries in cinemas. Of course that makes sense for ZSJL, it was envisioned as a movie (well, a 2-parter but still) but I could see a setup like that working for Alita, there isn't a lot of padding in the manga and we already got quite a bit of world-building in the first movie

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
All I want is to see is the Berserker Body going ham in amorphous nightmare mode in full glorious cinema projection.

Not sure the small screen would do it justice.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Vir posted:

The executive producer on Alita, David Valdes, was recently interviewed about Alita (among other topics).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvyt6alJGs8&t=697s
  • He said that at least one 20th Century Fox executive was pushing for a sequel already during Alita's initial release, but that the process stalled due to the Disney merger.
  • He suggests that Alita was profitable, in the "grey area" where a sequel isn't immediately obvious, but isn't unheard of either.
  • Due to the change in management at 20th Century, they'd have to make Disney familiar with the project again. At the moment, he thinks Disney is too worried about its current slate of films and Covid to think about greenlighting new projects.
  • He thinks that external financing is an option, but not crowdfunding - rather a substantial financial partnership in the tune of several tens of millions.
  • Texas was actually not in the initial list of places where they were going to shoot the movie. They were looking at places like Vancouver, Budapest (where BR2049 was shot) and other places with better financial incentives. Texas is actually one of the most expensive places to shoot a movie, but because Rodriguez had his studio, preferred crew and family in Austin, they shot it there.
  • He confirms Rodriguez' reputation for making movies under budget and finishing before schedule.
  • Some of the crew and art department from the Avatar project worked on Alita during delays on Avatar. (This is also said in the "making-of" documentary.)
  • Valdes's main role on the movie was executive producer. He also acted as the unit production manager until Susan McNamara took over that role.
He might be incorrect in that Rodriguez had read the manga before he got on the Alita project - I think he might have seen the anime?
Holy poo poo, the massive Iron City backlot set is still existant? 29:30 in that video.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Holy poo poo, the massive Iron City backlot set is still existant? 29:30 in that video.

Yes, it shows up on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/XrztkJydB4UXJxXz6 And I wouldn't be surprised if Rodriguez re-uses parts of it in newer productions. Since he still has the Machete car, that would fit very well into an Alita sequel featuring the Barjack rebellion.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Edward Lauder says that three different sources claim that Disney is exploring an Alita prequel series:
An Alita: Battle Angel Prequel Series Is Reportedly In The Works For Disney Plus (EXCLUSIVE)

Meanwhile, some Disney TV executives are on the way out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vir posted:

Edward Lauder says that three different sources claim that Disney is exploring an Alita prequel series:

...does anyone even want that? The cool stuff in Alita is in the other direction.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you do a prequel you could get a new cast & not worry bout trying to get Rosa Salazar (handwaves explanation by saying that was her previous body's appearance or some poo poo).

Agreed tho they just started scratching the surface on the cool insanity of the Alita universe .

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Salazar is like 75% of the reason the movie is good though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

...does anyone even want that? The cool stuff in Alita is in the other direction.

Mars Chronicles owns too!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm confused, why would they not want to bring Rosa back? Is it just because they'd have to pay her more now, I'm sure Disney can afford it now that penny pinchers like Iger aren't in charge anymore

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aces High posted:

I'm confused, why would they not want to bring Rosa back? Is it just because they'd have to pay her more now, I'm sure Disney can afford it now that penny pinchers like Iger aren't in charge anymore

Disney might also be hemorrhaging money because of the pandemic maybe? Either way, if it's a live-action prequel series with no involvement from Salazar/Rodriguez/Cameron, I'll be pretty apprehensive about the project.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So does this mean we're gonna get Cearula's arc? I know we're not; a prequel here just implies to me they said 'we like this woldbuilding but we want big ships to mash together and sell without all this pathos / baggage of a canon plot.'

... But what if we get the vampires?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

teagone posted:

Disney might also be hemorrhaging money because of the pandemic maybe? Either way, if it's a live-action prequel series with no involvement from Salazar/Rodriguez/Cameron, I'll be pretty apprehensive about the project.

They are only hemorrhaging this year's profits. They still have $23 billion cash on hand.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

So does this mean we're gonna get Cearula's arc? I know we're not; a prequel here just implies to me they said 'we like this woldbuilding but we want big ships to mash together and sell without all this pathos / baggage of a canon plot.'

... But what if we get the vampires?

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I just want to know if it's too late to train Obama in space karate so that he can play Aga Mbadi in his first starring role.