Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Man as a fan of the manga since I was a youngling this was an absolute treat. It was a full blown love letter to the property to an unbelievable degree and therefore an extremely strangely unironically take compared to everything else coming out these days. I mean the last time I've wached a movie so whole heartedly throw itself on being a weird sci fi romp is loving Robot Jox.

But...did they have to CGI the main actresses face? A great point of genre sci fi romps is the grounding of the whole enterprise in one central character being unquestionably real in the center of it. There were plenty of times where I found myself removed analyzing the work of her face when she was interacting with another character instead of getting lost in the performance. Like, I think the actresss did an amazing job but I cant even be sure...

Anyway my fav parts of the movie is the overall unapologetic nature of Alita. Her watching Hugh from his windowsill, her love of violence, at times I felt like I was watching Splice and that is amazing to smuggle into a pg13 movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. It's not bad 3D, but it's not "wow" 3D either. Avatar and the first HTTYD film remain the only two films to have genuinely wow'd my rear end off in the theater when I saw them in 3D.

I really liked Beowulf in 3d, eps the flaming arrows shot.

Philthy posted:

So when can we expect an Akira movie? Didn't DiCaprio buy the movie rights for that a while back?

Akira should never be a movie

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 20, 2019

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I wont disagree with anyone who says the movie could have used a tighter focus. I would have stuck with the Hunter Warrior stuff for the first movie, made Motorball the second movie's plot, and had the third take place on Zollom. Also up the robot gore and violence a bit.

As it is though, I loved Alita. I had a lot of fun, and as I've said, the main character is a massive goof and I love her.

Motorball was the second best thing about the movie other than Alita's feral nature.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

James Cameron had images from the Beijing premier earlier today up on his twitter account. Guess they're headed to Japan in a few hours maybe? And yeah in almost every article I've clicked on related to Alita I've skipped over to the comments and have been seeing almost universal praise for the film. The movie has a lot of ground to cover, but word-of-mouth generally seems super positive. Lots of fans on twitter have been sending out tweets showing their repeat screenings too. I might go for a 4th viewing sometime next week as well. Haven't watched a film that many times in the theater since Avatar.

Speaking of China, apparently it made 19 million on its first day there, on its way to a respectable 65MM weekend

quote:

Well, at the very least, Alita: Battle Angel is going to have a better opening weekend in China than it did in North America. Yes, the film surprised us last weekend by earning an arguably best-case-scenario $42 million Thurs-Mon gross, and the hope is that it can hang on for two weeks until Captain Marvel does its thing on March 8. But it's other big hope is that it makes so much in China that it won't have to do better than "pretty good" over the rest of the world. And it got off to a decent start on that end, earning $19.75m on its first day in China, including $1m in midnight totals.

That's not a blow-out figure, but it does point to a debut weekend of between $60 million and $65m. Presuming a $65m start, if the 20th Century Fox release legs like a "normal" Hollywood import, we're looking at a $143m cume in China. If it legs like Kong: Skull Island ($168m from a $71m launch) it gets to $153m. A run like Ready Player One, which everyone is currently praying for, puts the film at $214m-$232m in China alone. Yes, this is somewhat speculative. However, word of mouth is good, and the film is very much the kind of thing that Chinese audiences tend to dig. And it did just nab a $20m opening day.

As of now, it has earned around $110 million overseas and around $48.5m domestic as it heads into its third global weekend. So, combined with the $19.75m China Friday gross, it has earned around $178m worldwide. Yes, that means it has grossed more than its reported $170m budget, but that's only half (or one-third of) the battle.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...g/#fe40ed434e50

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Violent dismemberings, brutal fights, no hold barred bar fights its RR as hell

The swaggering villain cyborg is straight out of Desperado

The structure of it, the script, came from Xameron but its RR's movie.

Also the heavy latin influence

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm looking forward to the sequel if it happens just to see what they do with the Alita model and if they can make her a little less distancing, at least for me, compared to a human playing a robot.

e: love our sci fi present

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Seemlar posted:

I haven't got it nearby to double check but one of the more interesting things about the artbook is it shows a whole bunch of stuff openly labelled as work that was done in 2005 when Cameron was still handling it, and I'm pretty sure the sword raising scene is among them in glorious Playstation 2 graphics quality concept art

That sword raise was in the original script based off the article posted last page

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Yeah, comes with 4K, 3D, 1080p blu-rays + digital code. Here's an unboxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HlKLOfGKpM

felt bad about that beautiful artistic robot body being totally demolished in the movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rereading the Alita manga and theres such natural endpoints for a complete trilogy.

The second movie would start with Alita going up the motorball league to deal with Hugo's loss, with the aim of going to Zalem, and ending with her berzerker armor going rogue and merging with Zapan, the final act being Alita's battle with Motorball champ Jashugan and battle with nu Zapan, the surprise twist and hook for the mext movie is her losing her body amd getting a new one by Zalem to hunt Desty Nova.

The third movie being Alita's arc from being an assassin for Zalem to self realization of her independence, while finally cornering Nova, the end hook being her next journey, into outer space

Argh it fits into the trilogy mold better than almost any other property.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

is there anything out there about the rationale for making Alita CGI? I see that Rodriguez mentions that move cost a lot of money.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ashiba: Fluff Angel

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Your last 2 points should be combined into one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

too late the nerds trying to convince everyone Prometheus was good has spread too far. only thing to do, is click another thread from your user control panel