Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This turned out pretty good! Schlocky, and you can definitely tell that it's a condensation of a longer work, but neither of these things are dealbreakers. I liked that at times there were shots that felt like you'd see them in an anime, like when Alita's first wiggling her new fingers and such.

I really liked Rosa Salazar's performance. Alita is just a likable character, despite her being a 300-year-old cyborg she acts like a young girl figuring out her place in the world. And yeah, in context, the whole eye thing works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Decided to catch the movie a second time and yep, still good.

Enough good things can't be said about Rosa Salazar, so much of the film really depends on Alita being an engaging character and drat if she isn't just charming as heck. Obviously the CG/animation does its job too, but there's a strong performance underlying it. (And I am glad to learn that Alita as presented is pretty close to the source material.) You can't help but be struck by how much this character enjoys just being alive, in a story where nearly everyone is jaded and cynical because the world around them sucks.

And going off what people have said about the film's technical achievement, it really does seem to me to be close to a new standard in integration of CG and live action material. Hell, half the characters it seems have live action and CG elements and it is SO hard to match these up in a way that tricks the eye, but man. Everything seems to have the right texture, there's no obvious "wash" on the digital things. War for the Planet of the Apes kinda pulled this off too, making the CG apes look as real as anything else, but that movie was all dark and shadowy and could hide some things, this had to be more difficult.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Clipperton posted:

gently caress it, i'm half a bottle of wine in and I don't have anything better to do: why exactly is Alita (big special effects action extravaganza with a WOC lead) more right-on to these people than Captain Marvel (also a big special effects extravaganza with a female lead)?

I'm sort of assuming they haven't actually seen Alita.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean they started doing it because nothing else has worked (and also, most of them are not very savvy about how movies work, either as a business or as works of art.) Alita's the only other big action-sci-fi thingy in theaters now so they're latching onto it without actually taking two seconds to consider what it's about.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Alita is, among other things, about how the 1% control the people beneath them, promising you'll be able to join them when in fact they've already pulled up the ladder. Like Nova literally takes control of his underlings and doesn't care when they get killed. The film is not subtle about any of this.

But some people just don't know how to read basic subtext.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Now that the theatrical run is pretty much done, any word on when this will be on disc and VoD?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

That concept art is hitting the uncanny valley for me way more than Alita herself did :catstare:

Yeah it really makes you appreciate the work the FX team did all the more

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The face seems a little different- I know likenesses are tricky to capture in toy form though (even when there isn't CGI involved.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Tertius Oculum posted:

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/epic-stone-group-2212681/

It's annoying these companies exist just to make money off trademarks and copyrights. :psyduck:

Also owners of The Independence Day and The Million Dollar Man

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yay!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Ali was a standout, yeah.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They should just release Alita and Captain Marvel in a 2-pack.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The film definitely has a lot of structural problems but gets by based on the world, the clear themes (both of class and identity), and Alita herself being so dang likable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I've seen at least one Chud-type on Twitter with the "AlitaArmy" profile fairly recently but I'm willing to believe it's on the decline.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Salazar is like 75% of the reason the movie is good though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly the design is so close they could still get fairly slapped for it. I thought it was a licensed thing at first.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean these days there have to be a lot of people who are apprehensive about entering Texas for any reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think Alita was just sort of a hard sell- it's based on an IP that's not very familiar to most people, you had the big eye factor, and honestly, over decades of only wanting big movies to be based on big IPs, studios have gotten kinda lazy about marketing anything that's not already familiar.