Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

UmOk posted:

I ordered the manga box set. Am I going to mess up my reading experience if I watch the movie first?

As somebody that grew up reading the original manga, I think you'll be ok. In fact, I think coming to the manga after the movie will be nice to flesh out more of a film that has a lot crammed into 2 hours.

Overall I liked this movie, though I suspect my love of the source material is helping me overlook some flaws.

I've thought about this & I think I want any sequel to be a Netflix/Hulu/streaming series. Blow it out & get into a lot of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One thing I was really happy to see was Zapan getting his face sliced off, but not killing him. Sets up for a sequel when he gains control of Akita's berserker body & going :black101:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cameron gets into deep-sea exploration after The Abyss & Titanic, which in turn helps foster development in that field. Does the same with prosthetics after Alita: Battle Angel.

I wonder what science field he'll inspire next.
Edit:

That Italian Guy posted:

Also holy poo poo, this movie has 7.6 on Imdb :psyduck:

Honestly that rating seems right to me. I still hope it does well enough to warrant more stories from that world.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 15, 2019

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Imagine a world if Cameron truly pushed for better environmental care after Avatar.

Or direct neural linking between individuals.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Big screen = ✅
Good audio = ✅
3d = ❌

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Saw this again today, this time in 2D. IMO I preferred it over 3D, like it was a bit easier to follow the action. The issues I had with the movie are still there (Alita's big eyes still break uncanny valley, the pace of the movie is on the verge of going off the rails), as well as some more nit picks that came to me. Mainly my issues revolve around how much of the movie is CGI: the sets felt artificial, the figures popped out from the environment, the lighting choices (especially night scenes) felt off. IIRC WETA did the CGI for this film, so I started comparing it to another film they've done that IMO make the weird characters feel totally believable in a real-world setting: Neill Blomkamp's District 9. My theory is that Blomkamp's use of shooting on location forced the effects team to match their stuff to the natural world. Alita is done entirely on sets, so there is no base setting to match real-world lighting to. Of course there are no real world version of Iron City, so the point is moot.

I still love this movie. I'm picking up the reissued hardcover manga next chance I get.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One thing in the manga that I wished was in the movie was the reaction Hugo had after kissing Alita. "It was kind of tingly. Like licking a battery." :kimchi:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think of Disney got a hold of the Alita franchise, it would be kind of serviceable as a movie but not do much with the origin story.

Yes, I saw Captain Marvel & think this way. Why do you ask?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Future Alita movie directed by George Miller about her fight with Barjack.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Saw it for the 3rd time. My phone dropped in the gears of the cinema's recliner & broke the screen.

Still love this movie.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 25, 2019

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Is this escape room Alita-themed?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Need an Alita chibi to represent her Interactive Interface.

No lazy Funko version either.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm frustrated that Alita & Captain Marvel are being pitted against each other in the box office when they're more alike than different.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like how the article has complaints of people "stealing the same source material."

Like… the comics these are all based off of? :thunk:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Supporting a feminist movie to own the libs over at Marvel Studios is where we are in 2019.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

PaganGoatPants posted:

WTF is a chud?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqDToaLuJ7I

Woah what a hell of a page snipe.
I was thinking of Alita's clothes & did she ever wear a trench coat in the movie?

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 8, 2019

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The amount of info that movie crams into its 2+ hour run time is almost too much, and there are times the plot feels like it's going to fly right off the rails at the speed & volume it runs, but IMO it's still clear enough to follow.

I need to see this again with people that never heard of Alita before & ask their opinions.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The manga tells how Alita turns to Motorball after the death of Hugo to deal with the loss. The movie doesn't do a great job of conveying it at the end.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Somehow I find it completely plausible the defense rings being dismantled at the bottom & recycled in the ScrapyardIron City.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

teagone posted:

Yep. Performance capture characters interacting with live actors/a live set is one the most interesting things in movies for me these days. I love the potential of its application. I think it also takes an entirely different kind of skillset to convey a quality performance through performance capture compared to conventional acting, and Rosa Salazar owned it with Alita. She totally hard carries the film :allears:

I also just realized SDCC is this weekend. Yo, imagine if RR and Cameron announce Alita 2 at SDCC y'all. :pray:
I'm remembering that in Blade they initially wanted to have Stephen Dorff's Frost be a "blood tornado" that Blade had to fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIcYjahmqC4
I believe that if they had the tech they do now they probably would've been able to pull the original idea off.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Frost became La Magra, the Blood God.

Duh.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Blade universe barely makes any sense. In the 2nd movie there's genetically modified vampires that eat vampires, and in the 3rd movie they find the dumbest Dracula somewhere in Iraq.

I mean, listen to this delivery!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVn5Bmy3bIM

Meanwhile, Alita: Battle Angel makes sense (more or less), and the acting is pretty good!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If they do have a sequel I wanna see a sequence where Alita's installing herself in different bodies with the casualness of trying on different outfits.
Do it like a teen romcom montage. :)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
A part of me wishes they showed more of Hugo's desire to get to Zalem (maybe have his brother & his sister-in-law) but this movie is already over 2 hours long.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I thought Hugo should've been a bit scrawnier like he is in the manga.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah later in the manga you see people from other planets all have different physical features.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Neo Rasa posted:

Given how much Disney owns I'm surprised there isn't like an add-on subscription they offer for all of their R rated/Miramax/more violent/etc. stuff, folks would probably go for it.

Have to say like the early to mid-90s was for real the golden age of anime soundtracks.

It's not as as good as the Battle Angel as a thing overall, but fans of Battle Angel might dig Iria: Zeiram the Animation as it has some good world building, bounty hunter guild stuff that might strike a similar cord, baller soundtrack, and VERY good design for vehicles and technology and stuff. It looks and feels pretty unique too imo too as it's very much a 90s anime but some of the use of color in and some designs feel a bit ahead of their time like something you'd expect in the late 90s or early 00s.

Holy flashbacks! I remember the original live-action Zeiram playing on he old Sc-Fi Channel. Think Might Morphin' Piqer Rangers rubber suits but more :black101: .

Alas, I never found a digital copy (save for the sequel Zeiram 2). Any goons know where I could procure this artifact?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

JBP posted:

They should have given Jeff Fahey best supporting actor

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
A hard-R Alita would have plenty of boobs.

Robot boobs.

Ro-boobs if you will.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Worth it if she Panzer Kuntz'es Elon in the face & he explodes into millions of tiny pieces.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Alita: Battle Angel is on HBO right now and it still holds up IMO.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Robin Hood has a lot going for it: public domain, fun story, likeable characters, and a theme of sticking it to a corrupt authority.

Alita is almost a Robin Hood archetype when facing Desty Nova.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Aside from the furry connotations & reusing animation from The Jungle Book, I'll stan for Disney's version of Robin Hood. It even had Roger Miller doing songs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLhYSw67pdg

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Considering how complex Alita was, I'm not mad they went the CGI route with her. It would've been kind of neat if they went with more of a "CHI enhancing what's existing" like they did with Joel Kinnaman in Robocop but :shrug: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49XB-mUNU30

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I can see them keeping the Alita franchise PG-13, though Zapan's later storyline gets pretty gruesome in terms of body horror.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's kind of impressive how just changing the blood from red to blue changes people's impression on the violence.

Chiren's fate is perfectly PG-13 IMO.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It also gave us this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmQxXPOMMY

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Oh for sure. Chiren gets used pretty badly & she even has that mental break when Grewishka is defeated so the OVA & the manga are pretty drat rough to her character.

I do wish they kept Vector alive in the movie. He becomes a very interesting character later in the manga in trying to keep the peace between Zalem & Earth.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Vir posted:

Looks like Cinemark is working on a re-release of Alita:

https://twitter.com/Cinemark/status/1311670860290416641

"Hey Alita stans, please risk COVID-19 and keep us from going bankrupt by seeing that movie you like!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I believe her latest body is all nanomachines, so what else is there for her to improve to?