Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7h4VEd_Wk

Call me Desty Nova
Eternal Light
These gravely digs of mine
Will surely prove a sight
And don't forget my dog
Fixed and consequent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teagone posted:

I still wish they saved the motorball arc for the second film. The arena announcer yelling out "Aaa-leee-taaah!" would have been an amazing reintroduction to the character.

The Motorball arc is so self-contained and well-crafted it would make one really great movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teagone posted:

[edit 2] More goodies. Apparently Cameron had a Mazinger Z film in development alongside Battle Angel. At the time of the article's publication, Battle Angel was a project he was collabing with Guillermo del Toro on (GDT introduced Cameron to the manga). http://www.aintitcool.com/node/7133

!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

I have no idea what to make out of Alita exploring that ship with those kids and finding her zerk body. But then again i haven't read the comics past when she encounters Desty Nova, so maybe it's all just a slightly altered part of her past?

It's probably the ship in that flashback of how she got lost on Earth.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Clipperton posted:

GDT in Pacific Rim mode doing an Alita movie would have ruled so hard. Ron Perlman as Zapan. Burn Gorman as Desty Nova. Mocap Doug Jones as a freaky cyborg

Yeah, but also, Mazinger!

Imagine Doctor Hell played by Nicholas Cage.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

We really need ANOTHER movie with a waif-y infantalized grown woman who CAN FIGHT but she's also VULNERABLE, huh.

Hmm, the movies might go down this way, but in the comic it'S based on Gally is a pretty three-dimensional character who goes through a lot of development.

The plot also goes really crazy in the endgame.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, one of the points in the early arcs is that Ido is trying to make her into an innocent girl when she isn't that at all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm still disappointed. I'll be in my room, playing Blue Oyster Cult records.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Vanderdeath posted:

Maybe with this extra time they'll be able to secure the the rights for the Blue Oyster cross on Zapan's forehead.

Good point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Veteran of the Psychic Wars would also be acceptable.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Batista in Foucault's Pendulum. Directed by the Coen brothers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I want this to work out so we can have a sequel with Desty Nova.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lockmat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puKWa8hrvA8

New trailer with a slew of new stuff. The terraforming wars (or whatever they'll make of that), armblade and more motorball. Actually getting excited for this now!

Blue Oyster Cult logo spotted on Zapan's forehead, movie saved.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tormented posted:

Not seeing it!

Pause when he's slamming Yugo. It's small but it's there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It seems like a self-inflicted scar.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Vanderdeath posted:

Obviously the movie theme should be Pitbull rapping over a beat from Blue Oyster Cult's Imaginos. Preferably The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein.

You, you I like.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teagone posted:

Sure. I'd say that about most adapted properties or original works, but the source material for Alita has so much good content that, as a fan of the manga, I want as much of that content adapted without making too many compromises in order to stuff everything into one film. Three films, plan it as a trilogy or something. I'm saying if Cameron were attached as director/writer, then Alita would have had a higher chance of being a trilogy or series of films as opposed to him just being a producer.

I really want to see Desty Nova on the big screen.

Also the vampire flashback arc that only I love.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know what the hell this is, nor do I honestly care about it or want to see it, but I’m happy people are excited for it. That’s cool! I sincerely hope it lives up.

It's an awesome manga and an ok-ish OVA getting adapted.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lockmat posted:

I just had a look at the listing for the soundtrack and if the track listing follows the plot beats of the movie, which it looks like it would, then the movie will end with the first motorball race, instead if having it somewhere in the middle of the film, like I feared. if it is then that looks to be a pretty good segue into a motorball focused sequel.

Also Nova's orders seems like at least setting up the sequel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Phenotype posted:

why would you bother making a real life anime princess if you werent going to have sex with it though

There isn't weird sex stuff that I can think of in the source material.

The heroine kisses a dude at some point?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Only if it's titled Alitas.

Skipping to Last Order so soon seems like a bold choice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

UmOk posted:

I have an impulse to buy that Alita box set. I hate most anime, the only exception being Akira. I have never read a manga but I read American comics. Will the Alita manga appeal to an American comics reader?

Read the Akira comic, it is a masterpiece.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jesus christ. Burn down the NYT.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Shoren posted:

I have mixed feelings about this movie. Visually, the movie was stunning and seeing all of the different, cool cyborg designs was awesome. Motorball was fun to watch and the fights didn't suffer from shaky cam so you could see what was going on and appreciate all of it. I dunno if it was intended to be this way as an homage to old anime and manga, but the dialogue just felt very stilted and corny to me. For every scene of something cool happening, there was a scene where I rolled my eyes because the character interactions felt so unnatural.

I also felt that Alita's facial expressions were off in a lot of cases to the point where they didn't seem like they were matching her actual feelings. I understand the creative decision to go full CGI with Salazar as the base, but it just didn't work. And not because of the whole uncanny valley thing, because I didn't think what they did in Rogue One was nearly as bad as most Star Wars fans; I actually thought her eyes were fine for the most part. This had more to do with her mouth and how it just didn't express things in the way normal people do.

Gonna talk about some plot stuff now: Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a long-time Alita fan and haven't finished reading the series, so there may be points I'm missing just out of ignorance. First, I didn't like how they had to give Ido a tragic backstory with a daughter (who of course was named Alita) because that sort of thing has become way too common. I like how in the manga he just named Alita after his recently deceased cat because it was simple and kinda comical. But I guess it makes Ido seem less like of a sexist for wanting a prim and pretty doll in Alita around.

Second, I really didn't like how they handled Alita's transition to the Berserker body and Makaku's (or whatever vaguely Russian-sounding name they gave him) arc overall. In the film, Makaku wasn't really shown to be a threat until he got the the grind-cutter fingers, but between him having difficulty beating Alita with that and the finale, he no longer felt like a threat at all because she had the Berserker body and a sword that could cut through anything. The manga showed Makaku to be a threat at all points because he destroyed Alita's original body before getting the grind-cutters and after she got the Berserker body he had the grind-cutter so it wasn't a foregone conclusion that she would win.

That brings me to the scene at Kansas. In the manga, Ido brings Alita there and it's Ido that makes an earnest plea to the hunter-warriors to help him track down Makaku. They refuse him, of course, because they try to stay risk-averse for their own survival. Alita then provokes them out of frustration because she thinks they're cowards but also knows that Makaku is a huge threat to them all, but the brawl ensues, then Makaku enters and challenges Alita after killing most of them. In the film, Alita goes to Kansas herself and makes the plea to them, but they don't want to follow a newbie around so she starts a fight. The film made her seem excessively arrogant because she was just picking fights for the sake of it rather than trying to defend herself and Ido. Losing her body then didn't even seem to humble her because Ido then just kinda throws his hands up and goes welp I guess I'll give you this super powerful body you found by deus ex machina and hope you don't destroy the city.

I know it's a movie adaptation and shackling yourself to the source material only ends in great disappointment, but the way they weaved in plot points from various points in the manga screwed up motivations and threat levels too much for my liking. It was entertaining - only if you didn't think too hard about what was going on.

Dammit. Gally was the name of Ido's cat in the books, dammit.

I was planning on seeing this movie yesterday but I ended up delaying to Sunday to see it with friends.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Shoren posted:

So? Her original name was Gally and the manga was originally called Gunnm. Both changed, but whatever her original name, Gonzu wonders out loud why Ido would name her after his deceased cat.

I'm agreeing with you, I'm just using her real name.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

No Blue Oyster Cult song, 0/10.

But seriously I loved it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

While the original Gunnm works really well as, say, a movie trilogy, the sequels wouldn't. They're pretty much one big long story.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I also wonder why they kept calling him Nova instead of Desty Nova.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Nova sounds cool. Desty does not. Sounds like testes. TESTES NOVA

It's another Blue Oyster Cult reference, like Zapan's face scar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7h4VEd_Wk

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

lol jesus how didn't i put that together

don't look at meeeeeeeee

Later on, in the manga sequel, Alita gets a new body called "Imaginos".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Danny Trejo should play Zekka.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's also Super Electromagnetic Karate.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Young Freud posted:

You forgot to mention the vampire and the werewolf.

Caerula owns.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I have no idea how you adapt Last Order as movie: it's just one big story with no obvious movie breaks.

But it owns so much. Read it before we accidentally spoil you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The way everything keeps escalating every time Alita reaches a new region is part of what I love about this franchise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teagone posted:

I've yet to read Last Order, but have read the OG 9 volume run several times over. If you loved the OG 9 volume run, you will love this movie. See it on the biggest screen your theater has available in 2D. Bonus if it's Dolby Atmos equipped.

Last Order is so good.

And so is Mars Chronicles.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Someone should just answer thes etweets with the Gally Nazi-Punch from Last Order.

I would do it but I burned my twitter and I'm never going back.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm still disappointed that the credits song wasn't Astronomy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Edit: clearly wrong thread.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

But that would be skipping to Last Order.