Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's an odd anime cliche that I love of an old dude with no powers who keeps up with the rest of the general superpowered mooks with smarts, value to the community and a big honking weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

District 9 was practically cheating given it was filmed in a real life refugee camp.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like literally any sci-fi movie that needs a kinda grungy-looking city set could use Iron City.

I actually found Iron City seemed to be surprisingly homey, at least in the daytime sets. There's a very Old World feel to it, or maybe more like poor but lively India narrows with the future-Tuk-Tuks going about.

Tekne posted:

It's probably a coincidence but I got a kick out of it.

That seems like an excellent way to go deaf.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I would also be surprised if there was a hard R sequel given the movie's runaway popularity in China where I don't think they allow the equivalent of R rated releases, though I could be wrong. (censorship standards are arbitrary everywhere)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

When the huge dude with the proportionately tiny head in the trenchcoat showed up I was definitely thinking Sundowner. And the samurai cyborg is basically Jetstream Sam. Or probably the other way around, but still.

Is the 'Damascus Blade' from the manga?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Moon Atari posted:

The anti Captain Marvel thing looks like a manufactured controversy trolled into actual existence. As little as two weeks ago if you searched twitter all the accounts discussing it were obvious sock puppets meant to rile up their opposition. Meanwhile discussion in the online holes you would expect the haters to dwell in was, and still is, limited to "trailer looks meh" and talking about concept art that shows a skrull turning into nick fury. Whether it is manufactured by mischief makers or as part of the advertising effort is unclear. Disney/marvel are certainly not above profiteering from such things.

This is the same story with like 90% of the things that are supposedly making the evil chud gamer nerds mad, either a full on manufactured controversy or something where a handful of no-names complain about it on twitter and attract a horde desperately looking for a fight and grifters on both sides desperately looking for something to rant about and please like and subscribe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The ironic thing being Alita has a lot to say about warmongering, poverty and smashing the 1% while Captain Marvel seems to be literal US military propaganda.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TheCoach posted:

And Yukito Kishiro cites the original Mobile Suit Gundam as one of his major influences so that tracks.

Yeah, while there's a lot of lovely fascists in Japan there's also ton of people who turned seriously anti-fascism and anti-war, a lot of them being people who actually lived through said war and have the perspective of their country having tried to be an empire fighting a world war and lost comprehensively.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

Mahou Shoujo Alita Magica.

IIRC funny thing is that Cutie Honey, widely considered an originator of the magical girl subgenre (funnily enough it also draws a lot from I Dream of Jeannie) actually stars a weaponised robot girl.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

teagone posted:

Today was the 5th time :) That put it ahead of Avatar as the most times I've gone to the theater to see a movie again. James Cameron's got my wallet by the balls.

There's a funny pattern to that given Titanic made tons of money from repeat viewings, iirc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Aces High posted:

poo poo touch that up a little and that is basically Adam Jensen right now. That's a loving dope design, as cool as the final one was

Bit funny that in the movie he's basically got a Jetstream Sam and/or Raiden thing going on. Especially with being the owner of a really fancy exotic sword, and being a cyborg whose only remaining human part is his face.

I still love the variety they have with the Hunter-Warriors, including Ido. Especially that for how most of them are cocky super-soldier cyborgs, Ido's whole thing is to just wait around the corner in a dark alley and hit them in the soft bits with a rocket-powered warhammer.

Alita's fight with the Centurions in the Factory apparently borrows some visual elements from the Robocop remake when Robocop fights the ED-209s. (which the Centurions resemble quite a bit)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

omg, wouldn't it be badass if the cold opener of Battle Angel 2 was a 10 minute motorball scene in first-person and at the end some hands reach up and take off a VR headset and it was Ido in a monitor seat watching through Jasugun's eyes?

Hardcore Henry stealth sequel?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Ah yes, antagonizing James Cameron, a move that has never ended badly for anyone ever

There's some bodies in the Challenger Deep that can attest to that, I'm sure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Both 'controversies' were hurricanes in a tea cup. I'm pretty sure the Fury Road thing was based on literally one guy's no-name blog.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like how the whole Hunter-Warrior system is an extremely anime concept that lends itself to an anime protagonist's lifestyle but is also pretty much immediately shown to be a horrible and harmful system that's no substitute for real justice and is pretty much designed to enable high-powered cyborg sociopaths.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Avalerion posted:

Finally got around to seeing this and... eh. Alita herself was awesome but feels like the movie ends just as the plot gets going. There’s gonna be sequels I assume?

Kind of feels like Alita bounty hunter or murderball player could have been fun enough concepts to feed a full movie each, too.

Well that's pretty much what you get when you make a faithful adaptation but also want to tell a complete story and aren't guaranteed a sequel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vir posted:

I like to see the influx of people who have recently watched it on digital, in-flight and hotel VOD services, because it's concurrent with articles and tweets from journalists and "influencers" admitting that Alita wasn't as bad as they said it was. Even that article in The Independent says that it got worse reviews than it deserved, and ends with a statement (admittedly buried on the bottom) saying that most fans like it for legitimate reasons.

And then there's stuff like this thread:

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1146477076700000261

Feel there might be a point that critics judge movies more like a dog show about living up to a very particular ideal rather than engaging on their own merits. (and the metaphorical show-dogs becoming as stagnant, inbred and dysfunctional as the real ones as a result) I remember Roger Ebert was notable for trying to figure out what a movie is trying to do and judge it on its own terms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The source material for Captain Marvel is even worse than you expect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and it's pretty well established that Alita likes fighting and being super-active and motorball is pretty much tailor made for her. Good way to keep active and in practice without having to keep picking fights all the time.

Wouldn't be surprised if she used her original body for Motorball or had a new one made with her winnings so her fancy ancient superweapon body doesn't get damaged/attract too much attention/make things unfairly easy and boring. Probably massive overkill to use the Berserker body and the Damascus Blade, and the latter is clearly more marketable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

teagone posted:

In the manga she puts the Berzerker body in storage when rising up in the Motorball leagues. I'm guessing in the film universe, Ido is her tuner and maybe he was able to reverse engineer the Berzerker's plasma tech to light up the Damascus Blade.

Quite possibly, or just stuck some lighting on it because it looked cool.

Motorball makes a lot of sense to be central to the plot because it's a socially acceptable reason besides hunter-warriors why there's so many fancy custom cyborgs around and a thriving competitive business.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm sure other cyberpunk has explored the idea but still interesting that Alita comes to switch between bodies for different occasions just like someone would change outfits. Amnesia or no, she's implied to have been a cyborg nearly all her life and is entirely comfortable with it, and doesn't see herself as any less human or a real person for it, compared to some of the villains who make a thing about giving up their humanity/autonomy for the sake of power and victory; they're really just making excuses for their complicity in an awful system.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Where do I sign up?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If they do have a sequel I wanna see a sequence where Alita's installing herself in different bodies with the casualness of trying on different outfits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the feeling producers are absolutely convinced that audiences will love a generic white guy by default.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Alita also sticks out as unique in the manga because she's usually drawn in a different style then everyone else, too. I'd say that in order to convey that kind of outsider status in a live action movie where the visual representation is more homogenous you have to employ a variety of psychological misdirects.

I wonder if One Punch Man got the idea from that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pirate sports movies are an untapped niche. There's Dodgeball I guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

About the only thing that could make the movie more Metal Gear Rising as gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I can't remember most of the character names but you know what I'm talking about with Jetstream Sam and Sundowner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, the place is fairly explicitly shown as an increasingly lovely place to live where the only real law is sanctioned vigilantism, people are treated as property, and despite the advanced technology there's barely any real infrastructure outside of enforcing that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What was the last successful Robin Hood movie? Men In Tights, maybe. And the Disney version that created furries. (and even that was during Disney's dark age)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is like something out of 2000AD. I do wonder if that was an influence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alita's an anime protagonist, getting completely destroyed and coming back even stronger is Tuesday.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Akita: Battle Angel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right. In the movie most of the full body cyborgs are bounty hunters, serial killers, and rollerball players.

With some overlap.

The MSJ posted:

Am I right to assume that Zalem cyborgs would all be sleeker and shinier than the ones in Iron City?

You'd think so, but some Iron City borgs are clearly overcompensating.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They actually made a playable Mario Kart ride at the Super Nintendo Worlds, might work for Motorball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've heard Alita described as basically Robert Rodriguez directing in James Cameron's style. It's not quite as intense as either but super stylish and kinetic.