Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Some Goon posted:

^^^^ also standing is cheap if you do see a module in the floating containers.

yeah who gives a poo poo what those alien freaks think tbh, just throw them a fancy knife or a stupid bag of seeds and alls forgiven

e: xenophobic snipe :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Is there and MLG pro strat for getting more salvaged data? Derelicts, maybe? I'm staring down the barrel of wanting to build more things and hopping around planets for many hours shooting holes in the ground isn't very appetizing.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fine, next time I warp and get to rescue a capital freighter from pirates I will ‘accidentally’ send some friendly fire at cargo pods with salvage units in them.
I also found they give them as a reward on nexus missions too so I’ve just got one that way and picked one up from a derelict freighter.

e: and just got a freighter battle and got 2 units from the cargo pods. Much faster way to get them than all the others. We are obviously meant to turn pirate.

Helith fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 7, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
If you focus on it you can max out your freighter in a couple hours. Honestly the sentinels they send after you are fairly non threatening. If you have one shield module upgrade and a handful of sodium you can tank most of the hits you take before you can escape.

You can also strategically call in your freighter nearby before attacking for a close escape point.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was sitting AFK in the unique space station place on a phone call and kept hearing an item noise. After a few minutes I looked back at my screen, and some player was loading me up with $15 million worth of some super expensive item. Is this something people just do when they're bored and have hundreds of hours in the game and can make whatever they want?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yup, at some point if you play long enough, you hit the money cap and you've upgraded everything that can be upgraded and your farms and mines keep producing, so they give it away. If you give off new player vibes you're more likely to get stuff it seems, like having the starter ship and talking to Helios and Ares.
On one of my first visits to the anomaly I was gifted a void egg which would have taken me ages to get the quicksilver for.

What I don't get is when people give you 1 of something. I got gifted 1 ammunition today and I just thought, mate, thanks for the thought, but I have like 3 stacks of 9999 ammo in my cargo hold.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Yeah had that happen a couple times and then got into the habit of building a stack or two of the v3 atlas passes or grabbing a pile of indium if I was going to be on the nexus, figured I'd pay it forward.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

I was sitting AFK in the unique space station place on a phone call and kept hearing an item noise. After a few minutes I looked back at my screen, and some player was loading me up with $15 million worth of some super expensive item. Is this something people just do when they're bored and have hundreds of hours in the game and can make whatever they want?

I usually log on on Saturday mornings before everyone is awake, go make a harvest run through my farms, and then swing by the nexus and give it all away to players who have the starting ship, or what looks like a low-class shuttle.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I usually log on on Saturday mornings before everyone is awake, go make a harvest run through my farms, and then swing by the nexus and give it all away to players who have the starting ship, or what looks like a low-class shuttle.

So... so you're saying I need to build a fusion igniter/stasis device farm in order to throw money at new people when they don't expect it? That's so crazy it just might work.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

So... so you're saying I need to build a fusion igniter/stasis device farm in order to throw money at new people when they don't expect it? That's so crazy it just might work.

Once you become StarManJeffBezos, you can do whatever you want!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how I feel about it, I mean, on the one hand it feels like a living breathing universe and I got lucky someone was generous. On the other, it kind of feels like cheating because I was working hard to get money and barely got 500k, and then someone drops 15 million in my pocket and rockets me ahead potentially days of playing (as far as I know; it could be easy to make that much soon?). In conclusion, No Man's Sky is a land of contrasts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

LifeLynx posted:

I don't know how I feel about it, I mean, on the one hand it feels like a living breathing universe and I got lucky someone was generous. On the other, it kind of feels like cheating because I was working hard to get money and barely got 500k, and then someone drops 15 million in my pocket and rockets me ahead potentially days of playing (as far as I know; it could be easy to make that much soon?). In conclusion, No Man's Sky is a land of contrasts.

Yeah, if you find a good bone or scrap planet you can get one or two million out of a single lucky find. The same is true if you ask an ancient plaque or ruin nexus to tell you about the past.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

S-Class Freighter: $180,000,000
S-Class Starship: $8 - $120,000,000 (can own 6 total)
Backpack Slots: $50,000 - $1,000,000 (108 total)
Starship Slots: $1 - $300,000,000/slot (up to 48, across 6 starships)

Edit: What I'm saying is, $15,000,000 is nice and all, but its not a game-breaking amount.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 7, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
and hey, if you're worried about it breaking your progression or whatever then just send it on to someone else

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

15m isn't much, and you can farm up to the cap easily enough, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. There's class C haulers flying into stations that cost 30+ million. What someone gave you was a nice nest egg to start farming real money. Cash is mostly useful for converting into nanites via ship scrapping or purchasing ship/freighter slots so it's not really a situation where you jumped massively ahead.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I enjoy cooking in real life and I've just started to mess around with the nutrient processor in the game and holy moly, there's loads of stuff to cook!
I'm now collecting honey and milk and trying to work out which creature will give me eggs.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I have an Atlaspass v3 and I'm not even sure what it does, unless I'm missing something obvious but the Level 3 doors in space stations don't have anything behind them?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Judge Tesla posted:

I have an Atlaspass v3 and I'm not even sure what it does, unless I'm missing something obvious but the Level 3 doors in space stations don't have anything behind them?

Well you've obviously missed the fact that you can get up to 20 Carbon!!! from some of the hydroponics rooms.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

AirRaid posted:

Well you've obviously missed the fact that you can get up to 20 Carbon!!! from some of the hydroponics rooms.

I think some of them also have lore terminals but if you were expecting material rewards, nope.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Okay, so I put the game down last April waiting for the Beyond update. I ended up not playing again until today, and found I cannot continue the main story mission. I had to kill some ships, which I had done before I stopped playing, then return to the Anomaly.

The issue, the Anomaly isn't anywhere. And I can't summon it. I've tried jumping to new systems, reloading my save, teleporting to different stations... nothing works.

I've read that other people have encountered this bug, but haven't seen any way to fix it other than save editing...which isn't an option on PS4.

Does anyone know of a fix for consoles, or should I just start over? I'm seriously considering just getting the PC version and starting over there, but I like playing from my couch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You should probably just start over, not only is that quest likely permanent borked but it's probably not the only thing and they've made significant changes to the early-game experience.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

haveblue posted:

You should probably just start over, not only is that quest likely permanent borked but it's probably not the only thing and they've made significant changes to the early-game experience.

Yeah, I went back to my base and now I need power for everything, apparently. Can't even access my storage containers without it. No telling what other changes I haven't found, yet.

I went ahead and started over.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not really sure why someone in the Anomaly gave me 78 million worth of goods but maybe I gave off a new player vibe? I guess my ship looks similar to the starter one but its an A Class fighter with fully upgraded inventory slots, though I guess they can't see that.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm not really sure why someone in the Anomaly gave me 78 million worth of goods but maybe I gave off a new player vibe? I guess my ship looks similar to the starter one but its an A Class fighter with fully upgraded inventory slots, though I guess they can't see that.

sometimes i'm in a rush and i just offload a bunch of junk to whoever's closest

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I was sad to realize that multiplayer requires PS+. I mean, basically all multiplayer in any given game requires it, but harumph nonetheless. I shall wander space alone.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I've had a really bad run of luck with the manufactoring facilities not giving me the option of choosing a blueprint lately. Do I have to go to other planets after a while? I bought 16 location data using my navigation data and only got to choose blueprints twice.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I have this super annoying bug where I never get the cash for killing the bounty fugitives I come across.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nullsmack posted:

I've had a really bad run of luck with the manufactoring facilities not giving me the option of choosing a blueprint lately. Do I have to go to other planets after a while? I bought 16 location data using my navigation data and only got to choose blueprints twice.

Go to another planet if you want a scenery change, but afaik it's still random which event gets picked. I guess if you super wanted to min/max it you'd do it in a system where you had the lowest faction to grind but meh. Part of the reason I don't have all the blueprints is those long streaks of not getting them annoy me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there are events which won't ever give you blueprints, regardless of what option you take and yeah, it's terrible and infuriating when the RNG gives you multiple of those in a row.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
If you have the 16 portal glyphs, you can use the NMSCE subreddit to get capped money and 50k nanites in a couple hours, so I feel like doing the Artemis chain to get all 16 glyphs for free is the most efficient farming you can do.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Building a base in my freighter and I need all the silver. All of it.
I wish I’d had a silver mine before I started building.

That’s my tip for new players, set up,a silver mine ready for freighter base building.

Also, the space in freighters for building is huge!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't give up the fun I had building my own money machine for anything, and money gets converted to nanites via ship scrapping so that's infinite, but you should still do the Artemis chain asap because portals get you cool rear end ships.

I've never turned on multiplayer, but how does that even work? Can people use/extract your resources but not remove them? Are the resources unique to each individual game? Can you see the conga line of people emptying your storage bins? NMS being multiplayer still seems weird.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The chances of another player stumbling into your base is still really low, I've been in systems that other people have found but never once have I seen anyone outside the Nexus or multiplayer missions.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Helith posted:

Building a base in my freighter and I need all the silver. All of it.
I wish I’d had a silver mine before I started building.

That’s my tip for new players, set up,a silver mine ready for freighter base building.

Also, the space in freighters for building is huge!

Huh, I found a silver hotspot on a toxic planet that I built a Radon and Uranium mine on. I guess I'll go set some extractors on it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Still cant change my Freighter's body color. Tried changing all the different options. Only the 'trim' ever seems to change colors. Anybody else having this problem? (on Xbox)

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I found a mining hotspot on a planet....how do I tell what it is?

Also, I couldn't warp my freighter into a system, I'm guessing it's because I was in a blue star system and and the freighter doesn't have the indium drive upgrade?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Saxophone posted:

So I found a mining hotspot on a planet....how do I tell what it is?

The survey upgrade will ping to the left/right/center to align you with the direction it is in then show you a distance. Run that way and when you get ~6u from it the distance will change to an Analyzing... progress bar. That fills up and it'll show you what it is. As an aide for base-building that hotspot (though not its grade or what ore/gas it is) will permanently show up as an icon in the survey visor until you reload/leave the system. Once you find it plonk a save beacon down so you don't have to track it again.

quote:

Also, I couldn't warp my freighter into a system, I'm guessing it's because I was in a blue star system and and the freighter doesn't have the indium drive upgrade?

Yup.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You have to find it to see what it is, but it will always be one of the minerals available on that planet in your visor. So if it says the planet has ionized cobalt and ferrite, the mineral hotspot will be one of them.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Recently re-started after a break, and I see that ships can be scrapped now? Very cool!

So here's my problem: I can't seem to scrap the other ships I've claimed. They don't show up in my recently acquired (awesome A class Capital) freighter. When I go to the scrapping machine on space stations, it only gives me the option to scrap my current ship, which I absolutely don't want to do.
Can't seem to summon the ships either, probably since I just claimed whatever crashed ship I found. Am I screwed now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Zombie Guy posted:

Recently re-started after a break, and I see that ships can be scrapped now? Very cool!

So here's my problem: I can't seem to scrap the other ships I've claimed. They don't show up in my recently acquired (awesome A class Capital) freighter. When I go to the scrapping machine on space stations, it only gives me the option to scrap my current ship, which I absolutely don't want to do.
Can't seem to summon the ships either, probably since I just claimed whatever crashed ship I found. Am I screwed now?

Warp your freighter to another system. All your ships should show up in the hanger.