Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The centre of galaxies are the only place you will find lots of discovered systems. If you are trying to find a 3 star economy system one jump from the centre it's hard to find one that isn't already discovered.

But yeah apart from that it's very rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

oh wow I was just doing the normal system hopping to get somewhere and stumbled across a system that's already been discovered by someone else.

Feels like a small thing and maybe I'm being daft, but is this common - what are the odds of that even? I know it doesn't mean anything but I genuinely felt a bit breathtaken.

I just started a new save and half the systems around me were half-discovered by two players four years ago.

First time it's happened to me, though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Muscle Tracer posted:

redirect some of your infinite wealth into buying hazard and life-support suit upgrades. i feel like i have to refill my life support, like, twice an hour tops, and the s-rank hazard protections are extremely convenient on low-hazard planets (and essentially mandatory on high-hazard planets)

Yeah i noticed that when the planet i landed on with solarium also had a 300 degree loving firestorm raging, giving me just 20 seconds to skulk about before having to scurry back to the ship.

Is there a way to know what the maximum number of installable upgrades are per tech or is it always 3? I tried putting in a 4th s-class scanner upgrade and it rejected it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Kin posted:

Yeah i noticed that when the planet i landed on with solarium also had a 300 degree loving firestorm raging, giving me just 20 seconds to skulk about before having to scurry back to the ship.

Is there a way to know what the maximum number of installable upgrades are per tech or is it always 3? I tried putting in a 4th s-class scanner upgrade and it rejected it.

Three per inventory tab for each type of upgrade.

So you can actually install three in the tech tab and another three in the main inventory for 6 total of the same type. Works for anything with a Technology tab. (So not Multi-tools)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kin posted:

it's always a limit of 3 per inventory tab for the kinds you can buy at the store or win from quests, but you can also always install one of each of the kind you can craft directly into it. so, the hyperdrive can always have 3 upgrades in the general tab and 3 more in the tech tab, plus one of each of the craftable ones, like the indium drive.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Edit: nvm I really should read the actual descriptions in my inventory

No man's sky is p cool huh

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Kin posted:

Also note that the specific protections are basically a shield that burns through before it hits your hazard protection where the hazard protection upgrades just beefs up your existing bar. The difference is you can get multiple shields and have to refill them less often where the hazard protection is less modules but you'll have to refill it more often.

I got 2 of each protection module and i can chill during a storm just like i can in normal weather because the timers fixed. I didn't realize the minotaur can interact with things with E so it's basically amazing and with a few mobility upgrades you'll have near endless jump jets. I don't get why you can't use your visor from a vehicle though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there a way to find previously visited locations? I had to book it from a ruin after I pissed off some sentinels and I can't find it again.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is there a way to find previously visited locations? I had to book it from a ruin after I pissed off some sentinels and I can't find it again.

I think the easiest is to leave a save beacon anywhere you want to return too.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Snack Bitch posted:

I think the easiest is to leave a save beacon anywhere you want to return too.

Yeah, or use a planetary chart to find a ruin... it may not be the one you just left, but honestly that's one thing that took me a while to realize in this game... there are so many ruins, depots, etc. Generally the exact spot doesn't matter unless you wanted to build a base there or something.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So I built this giant ridiculous thing.

It is unadorned inside, except for a portal and some short range porters. It consumes more than 2000 power. And the game happily allowed me to upload it. Boy, wouldn't it be embarrassing if, after I filled all the planters, that was the point that the game told me the base was too complex?

It also is 100% guaranteed to have at least a few trees growing up through it when I visit. Paving the ground beneath it is problematic since the floating island its on is not actually level - its at enough of a grade that you can see the slant just standing still. The other floating island nearby has hardly any trees though. I could rebuild the whole drat thing over there... :shepicide:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Like an individual spot on a planet? Not really. If you know the approximate area you can get a map that’ll ping for ruins in the area but it might take a few tries to find the one you want. Generally there are enough of these things that it’s fine to miss or skip any one of them. You’ll find whatever you wanted from it at other ruins eventually.

If you find somewhere/thing you want to revisit, you can build a save beacon and that acts like a permanent waypoint. Select a different color to help remind you what it means.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks, building save beacons makes sense - or getting some more charts.

Man I'm super conflicted about this game. Like, it wants me to explore but every inch of every planet has more stuff so everything that has already been discovered is kinda meaningless. Kinda wrecks that feeling of discovery when I realize I can name a region but I'll never go back and the same things can be found elsewhere.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Thanks, building save beacons makes sense - or getting some more charts.

Man I'm super conflicted about this game. Like, it wants me to explore but every inch of every planet has more stuff so everything that has already been discovered is kinda meaningless. Kinda wrecks that feeling of discovery when I realize I can name a region but I'll never go back and the same things can be found elsewhere.

Yeah near mid/end game you become kinda jaded, i'm making more than enough money and nanites are the only thing i have want of but i can afford to sit in a station and literally buy every ship that comes in and scrap it for nanites. My inventory is maxed already with only my exo cargo missing like 20 slots. Why would i bother to still explore? beyond getting glitches to put in my base or max out my freighters tech there's not a lot of draw. Your frigate missions are kinda pointless because they don't pull in enough money and there's not a whole lot else they'll pull in so why would i grind to expand it?

I still haven't completed the main quest because it's so loving confusing, making me jump back and fourth between planets to talk to people then telling me to visit the anomaly for literally 1 line of dialogue. The really poor diversity of planets is whats killing it for me, oh look the same 5 loving plants and rocks, if i'm lucky i'll see a few animals that are kitbashed from the same parts that i've already seen.

If i could build my capital ship into that giant insane one then i'd have a good endgame goal but atm they're nothing but a mobile base that has no use. Let me build a sentinel jammer and fight huge fleets with my capital ship pounding away with it's turrets.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I'm probably close to getting bored too but that's par for the course with these kinds of games. A month of fun gameplay for $20 is very fair, even having only played the game in 2020 I can infer from the memes and DLC lists how livid I would've been pre-ordering at $60.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I pre-ordered at full price. I'm at 620 hours, still playing 4 years later. Not upset with my purchase.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, I don’t regret picking this up a few months ago at full price.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
If you remember to screenshot your visor (or ship), it has coordinates you can go back to.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

oh wow I was just doing the normal system hopping to get somewhere and stumbled across a system that's already been discovered by someone else.

Feels like a small thing and maybe I'm being daft, but is this common - what are the odds of that even? I know it doesn't mean anything but I genuinely felt a bit breathtaken.

The first system I jumped to from my start had been discovered by someone else, and I discovered one more by a different person in the region. No planets claimed so they were probably just hopping through, and with jumps of over 1000 light years with upgrades it's possible I may never find another system discovered by either of those players.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I’d like to see some QoL improvements in a future patch.

Like, if I have the materials to recharge a specific technology or device, just auto loving recharge it please. The mini-game of having to manage all the protection upgrades and life support module and the pulse drive and the hyperdrive and the mining beam and the terrain manipulator gets old after about 15 minutes now.

Or maybe simplify it? You have a protection module that auto adjusts to the environment and you can stack specific upgrades around it to enhance specific environments but you only have to recharge the ACTUAL protection module, not the 15 enhancements.

Also, it looks like I never made any of the Atlas curiosities and I have a Remembrance taking up a tech slot. I assume from the end of the Atlas path. Should I bother with it?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Talking of QOL improvements, I've been refining a lot recently, and it's so annoying that when you want to add more of something, you have to scroll past all the other things in your inventory. If I choose add more on some carbon I'm refining, just show me what carbon I have!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, on the space station transporter I saw another base listed (I currently only have one), so I went through, and I think it took me to the Galactic Core? It's a system with lots of other players and if I go to the galaxy map, it says 0LY and no other stars display, and then the game crashes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thundarr posted:

Boy, wouldn't it be embarrassing if, after I filled all the planters, that was the point that the game told me the base was too complex?

While the rest is filled, the Nip Bud wing of my farming base still has like five unused domes because each plant is a new object and I don't have the save capacity. :argh:

Kinda wrecks that feeling of discovery when I realize I can name a region but I'll never go back and the same things can be found elsewhere.

Well if you like the look of a planet, or is has resources/decorations you want, it's a few minutes to drop a portal there and name the base. The momentum is more forward-facing though (even though the building is what consumed most of my time) and you're supposed to find cool/weird new places, say "Wow, this is cool/weird", maybe post a screenshot, then off you go in search of the next cool/weird thing. Despite all the meat added over the years that's still the primary goal in the game. The big difference now is if you want to do the progression content there's actually a game there, and if you don't want to go explore more after 40 hours of that at least you've had some fun.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Do translators stack?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've been system hopping to find the perfect hauler and I'm uhhh 50ish jumps in and still haven't found it.

Reddit had a couple nice looking ones but doing the whole portal glyph thing looks miserable. :negative:

Edit: wait, traveler grave sites give you glyphs? Well that might be a bit easier.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 20, 2020

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Is there an easy way to find a portal? I’ve tried doing alien maps and it’s just ruin after ruin. Am I doing something wrong? It’s holding me back from the last step for the living ship and it’s frustrating as hell.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ephori posted:

Is there an easy way to find a portal? I’ve tried doing alien maps and it’s just ruin after ruin. Am I doing something wrong? It’s holding me back from the last step for the living ship and it’s frustrating as hell.

lol no the whole portal thing is frustrating and terrible

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So many hours in and now is the time that the game decides my cliffside base looks better filled in with dirt

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ephori posted:

When it directs you to a monolith, solve the puzzle and then talk to it again. It'll ask you for a sacrifice of a dagger/relic/casing and direct you to the singular portal that exists on every planet, aka "why you never ever want to look for portals manually"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 20, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Casu Marzu posted:

I've been system hopping to find the perfect hauler and I'm uhhh 50ish jumps in and still haven't found it.

Reddit had a couple nice looking ones but doing the whole portal glyph thing looks miserable. :negative:

Edit: wait, traveler grave sites give you glyphs? Well that might be a bit easier.

Completing the artemis questline gives you all the glyphs for free.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

So, on the space station transporter I saw another base listed (I currently only have one), so I went through, and I think it took me to the Galactic Core? It's a system with lots of other players and if I go to the galaxy map, it says 0LY and no other stars display, and then the game crashes.

Welcome to Odyalutai, Galaxy #257. It used to be accessible until HG made #256 loop back to #1, now somehow "the center of Odyalutai" has ended up the default position when the game can't figure out where you're supposed to be, so of course a bunch of people set up bases in the system and it shows up all the drat time on the anomaly list. You can escape the center with some tricks and go explore it if you really want to, but there's nothing particularly special about it outside of what was formerly the bragging rights of "I parked in this galaxy before HG made this inaccessible"

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I like how i reached the content cap before i've ever jumped to more than 15 systems. Seriously why would i grind to be able to jump to a green or blue star to see the same poo poo as before? I can't even build bases for fear of hitting the base cap. There's nothing to spend money on beyond the living ship or looking for a fancy exotic which is completely out of your hands. I thought the derelict freighter hunting would be a good endgame content but not it's just for making your frigate missions better which nets a paltry amount of money and poo poo that didn't get removed from the loot table. This feels like someone releasing 1 episode of a good series every few months leaving you frustrated when you reach the end.

This game is leaps from release but it's still absurdly unfinished.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
If you're looking for progression content there's maybe 40-ish hours at best. You spend money on slots and cool ships/freighters. Exotic hunting from stations can take a good 15-60 minutes sitting there, yes, but it's generally not that bad. Derelict freighter hunting is a side activity to get you freighter-specific stuff and there's no real "endgame" available. If you hit the base build cap it tells you and won't let you build, same as hitting the global save cap, and you need to do some pretty crazy stuff to hit either.

Regardless, you will still hit the point where all that's left is seeing new worlds with new classifications that have weird poo poo (better chances on the non-yellow star systems) and that's still the game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Welcome to Odyalutai, Galaxy #257. It used to be accessible until HG made #256 loop back to #1, now somehow "the center of Odyalutai" has ended up the default position when the game can't figure out where you're supposed to be, so of course a bunch of people set up bases in the system and it shows up all the drat time on the anomaly list. You can escape the center with some tricks and go explore it if you really want to, but there's nothing particularly special about it outside of what was formerly the bragging rights of "I parked in this galaxy before HG made this inaccessible"

There are other inaccessible galaxies, mostly those with negative numbers. Now I wonder if it's possible to glitch yourself into one of those, too?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It may be possible but I'm not sure how-- location is weirdly mutable in a lot of unexpected ways but since HG explicitly made 256 loop to 1, 257 loop to 2 etc it's not as easy as just "escape the base 256 and keep going until it rolls over".

Saves are local so it's probably far easier to just save-hack your way into one, but I haven't done any digging into it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arghy posted:

Yeah near mid/end game you become kinda jaded, i'm making more than enough money and nanites are the only thing i have want of but i can afford to sit in a station and literally buy every ship that comes in and scrap it for nanites. My inventory is maxed already with only my exo cargo missing like 20 slots. Why would i bother to still explore? beyond getting glitches to put in my base or max out my freighters tech there's not a lot of draw. Your frigate missions are kinda pointless because they don't pull in enough money and there's not a whole lot else they'll pull in so why would i grind to expand it?

I still haven't completed the main quest because it's so loving confusing, making me jump back and fourth between planets to talk to people then telling me to visit the anomaly for literally 1 line of dialogue. The really poor diversity of planets is whats killing it for me, oh look the same 5 loving plants and rocks, if i'm lucky i'll see a few animals that are kitbashed from the same parts that i've already seen.

If i could build my capital ship into that giant insane one then i'd have a good endgame goal but atm they're nothing but a mobile base that has no use. Let me build a sentinel jammer and fight huge fleets with my capital ship pounding away with it's turrets.

This has basically been my experience. Got a couple of solid weeks of adventuring and upgrading, spent a week or two there with the game being... an idle game where I jumped in a couple of times a day to tend to my farms and frigates and assemble a shitload of cash, and now I'm just finishing the main quest and having a shitload of cash because it turns out there isn't really endgame or anything to do with said shitload of cash beyond feeding it back into itself.

To be honest, that's me at 50 hours and while most of that was probably busywork, I thought I'd reach this stage a lot sooner - these extremely make your own goal games usually don't work for me at all so I thought I'd play a few hours and bounce off. Derelict freighters sound fun if pointless so I'm going to do some of those, maybe get an alien ship, and call it a day. Anything else interesting I should check out before that? Underwater exploration just seems like slower, less variable normal ezploration so I think I'll give the submarine/deep stuff a miss.

Well worth playing despite ultimately being puddle deep. Seems like it'll be worth dipping back into if it's still on Game Pass by the next big update but I won't be starting from scratch.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Douchebag posted:

I’d like to see some QoL improvements in a future patch.

honestly if they took QoL improvements to the logical extreme, they'd essentially just remove the game as it was at launch. like, why do i have to manually craft a bunch of metal plates and carbon nanotubes as ingredients for other things? why not just let me craft the end thing from the requisite raw materials? or Thundarr's glass dome monstrosity upthread, that looks like about 15 minutes of holding "E" on some frostwort.

...but simplifying the crafting system reduces the strain on your inventory, which is really the only difficult thing about the early game, and which was almost the entire point of ship-hunting a few years ago.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

honestly if they took QoL improvements to the logical extreme, they'd essentially just remove the game as it was at launch. like, why do i have to manually craft a bunch of metal plates and carbon nanotubes as ingredients for other things? why not just let me craft the end thing from the requisite raw materials? or Thundarr's glass dome monstrosity upthread, that looks like about 15 minutes of holding "E" on some frostwort.

...but simplifying the crafting system reduces the strain on your inventory, which is really the only difficult thing about the early game, and which was almost the entire point of ship-hunting a few years ago.

It wasn't THAT bad. It's much faster to just tap R1 a bunch of times than hold square for 2 seconds per dupe. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Picked up a nice curved ultrawide monitor after using the same old Asus monitor with dead pixels for the longest time. Dear lord, this game is beautiful.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 20, 2020