Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DelphiAegis posted:

You can absolutely jump off afterwards but I think you need to be actually using your jetpack for 30s for whatever reason.

I should probably double-check on someone that hasn't gotten it yet but someone ITT mentioned "using the rocketpack at all resets the fall timer", which makes me think that the achievement (which claims to be "fall for 30 seconds") triggering on "using the rocket pack for 30 seconds" is actually a straight up bug and they reset the timer at "the point where you start or stop holding down the rocket button" but not "while the button is being held down"

You can absolutely get the achievement from just falling from 30 seconds, hands off the keyboard, but finding a place high enough to do so usually either means building upwards or just low orbit space jumping from a frigate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

someone ITT mentioned "using the rocketpack at all resets the fall timer",

This was categorically not the case for me. My initial attempts were from the top of high mountains feathering my jetpack and it didn't interrupt the timer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There's something quite a lot of fun about running around with a giant baby biological horror pet. "Sorry! My growing boy gots to eat" has become my new phrase of choice.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

AirRaid posted:

This was categorically not the case for me. My initial attempts were from the top of high mountains feathering my jetpack and it didn't interrupt the timer.

It was for me but it was also erratic, and sometimes would reset and then jump to a much greater time count. Ultimately I got it by jetpacking nonstop up a mountain at an angle - I launched off eventually but was plenty high to get the remaining time.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

just low orbit space jumping from a frigate

That's what I did, got me both the climb a mountain cheev and the fall for 30 secs.
Bring about 30-40 oxygen tanks tho, you run out, real fast.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah using the jetpack didn't interrupt the 30 second timer for me, hitting the side of the mountain as i ascended did. I was able to do it by jumping off the mountain and using all my jetpack fuel to jump over a bunch of a land and fall in the ocean. Was good fun, would recommend. It was a very tall mountain, i got the mountain climbing achievement when i was about 2/3 the way up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

meanwhile, I have a Cunning Plan

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 16, 2021

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Holy moly another 2.6GB patch. We at 3.67 now.

The expedition was fun, but I'm glad I put off starting a settlement.

Scrolling down the release log they've never gone that close to the next decimal. We could be looking at a Y2K level catastrophe if they have to go higher than 3.69

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

For me this is the first expedition that didn't just feel like a (near) arbitrary tick-list. Grounding you on the planet is a really good trick, it forces you back to living and working in a smaller area and working with more game systems.
It's also how I first played the game, before they added recharging launch thrusters and I thought launch fuel was valuable and walked everywhere.

I've learned the lay of the land around my base in a way I haven't in a normal save in a good while, I think I'll keep the save just for that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah it really reminds you how big the planets actually are. I travelled for ages to get to a trading outpost, making a couple bases with teleporters along the way. When I got my ship airborne I was able to make the whole distance in about 10 seconds without using the pulse drive.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone else having issues w/ discovery services disconnecting? It stays disconnected or just spins on attempting to connect and it's super annoying when trying to hunt down another players base.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

not sure why the patch is 2 gigs but im very excited about "Fixed a number of glitches with cuboid room foundations."

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do the rewards from expeditions carry over to other saves?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

queeb posted:

do the rewards from expeditions carry over to other saves?

The phase awards do but not the ones in between.

I think I'm just finishing up loose ends here and there and am probably going to start playing death loop instead but this game stuck with me this playthrough way longer than usual.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Checked back in, found out my whispering horror is now old enough to lay eggs so "making horrible monsters for people who miss it" seems to be on the table at least

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Those fireworks that you get during the expedition. If you unlock the plans with 50 salvage tech, does that crossover to other saves?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hell you only get the warp drive plans at like phase 4 or 5 of this expedition. Limiting you to one planet for a while is actually a smart move, makes the experience more intimate.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Hell you only get the warp drive plans at like phase 4 or 5 of this expedition. Limiting you to one planet for a while is actually a smart move, makes the experience more intimate.

I'm a bit confused about the "first rendezvous point" I'm supposed to travel to. At first, I thought I was supposed to finally leave the starting system, but instead the map lead me right back here. What am I supposed to do here that's still missing? :confused:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I really felt totally the opposite, maybe it was just unlucky terrain where I started but being stuck on the planet so long sucked and traveling anywhere was a total drag. I did finish the expedition, and pretty much immediately lost interest, by far the shortest run I've had apart from launch.

Libluini posted:

I'm a bit confused about the "first rendezvous point" I'm supposed to travel to. At first, I thought I was supposed to finally leave the starting system, but instead the map lead me right back here. What am I supposed to do here that's still missing? :confused:

There's a view mode in your visor, the PC hotkey is 3 I think, which you use to find an approximate waypoint, then land there and it will guide you to a more precise location, sort of like scanning for mining hotspots.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

metasynthetic posted:

I really felt totally the opposite, maybe it was just unlucky terrain where I started but being stuck on the planet so long sucked and traveling anywhere was a total drag. I did finish the expedition, and pretty much immediately lost interest, by far the shortest run I've had apart from launch.

There's a view mode in your visor, the PC hotkey is 3 I think, which you use to find an approximate waypoint, then land there and it will guide you to a more precise location, sort of like scanning for mining hotspots.

Aww poo poo, I feared it was something like this. My visor is so cluttered with other player bases and poo poo I feared I just didn't see the waypoint. Back to searching, I guess. :shrug:

(Also forgot the new function, since outside of missions on my normal save, it tended to not do anything so far in this expedition.)

Edit:

Welp, found out what I was doing wrong: I had to manually go into the expedition-window, select the rendezvous-mission as my main one, only then did the rendezvous-point show up. :shepface:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 17, 2021

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
This was my first expedition and overall I enjoyed it but being able to get an exocraft early definitely helped that. The planet was too sine curvy to be enjoyable to traverse and I was pretty happy to leave it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If it weren't for the bugs and glitches which had kept me going in circles for quite a while, I'd call this feature good, too.

I still had fun, but man, I never want to see a message telling me there's a limit of 5 per planet ever again. :shepface:

The only thing I have left to do now is digging up some bones, and then I'll retire this save for good.

Edit:

Like in my original main save, the game gave me a great maximum slot rifle in the very first station I visited, and only had absolute dreck after. It's like the game doesn't want me to have exotic space weapons!

Unlike in my original main save, the game gave me a near max-slot super freighter after the second try. Welp. At least together with a neat little white fighter I've collected, there are now two reasons to visit this save again at some later date.

Having the second rendezvous-point right in the system next door was a bit disappointing. We had five weeks time, so I expected a bit more traveling in the last part. But, fine! Then I'll finish this and be done with it. It's what Hello Games want, after all! :sigh:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I think I would have thought being stuck on one planet for a while was cool, if it had been a less unpleasant planet. I made a neat little cabin on some shallows, but this expedition has still added toxic planets to my "gonna take something REAL weird or important to make me land there" list.

Like Calcified and Webbed planets. Am I the only one who finds those two super creepy?

Also, that was the first time I've seen a crashed freighter on one of them. Is that new?

Also, it is absolute bullshit that the expedition description mentions a bespoke ship, and then you don't get to move it to your main save.
(Without cheating with a third party program, which I did.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain France posted:

Also, it is absolute bullshit that the expedition description mentions a bespoke ship, and then you don't get to move it to your main save.
(Without cheating with a third party program, which I did.)

It's kind of weird, yes. Though I already have an exotic of that type, so it would have been redundant a little bit. (I can't even cheat, I'm playing on PS4!)

Edit:

The creepiest planets are imho huge tentacles + disturbing descriptions like Blood Mist or Malicious Sentinels.

Getting hounded in a forest of giant tentacles while the game tells you the storm around you is made from blood is the creepiest, like you're suddenly in Silent Hill or something

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain France posted:

Like Calcified and Webbed planets. Am I the only one who finds those two super creepy?

all of the anomalous planets creep me the gently caress out

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The one anomalous planet that looks like it has leftover turrets from Portal on it is weird. The hexagon planet looks neat from a distance.

All of the chromatic abberation planets mess with my mind.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Personally I love all the anomalous planets, and like to build weird poo poo on them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When going through my expedition rewards, I suddenly remembered I get a title for each new galaxy I reach.

Welp, back to traveling

There are still 200+ to go :shepface:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
there doesn’t seem to be much modelling of extreme gravity or atmospheric pressure scenarios. i mean yeah, maybe i do want to see what it would be like on the surface of Venus…

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It would probably be to deeply unfun. Remember how your hazard protection drains at around +100 °C temperatures? Now imagine it drains 4x faster. Also, the effect of a highly acidic atmosphere has to be added in. 8x faster. Also, huge pressure. 16x faster.

Good luck keeping yourself alive! Very "fun".

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Libluini posted:

When going through my expedition rewards, I suddenly remembered I get a title for each new galaxy I reach.

Welp, back to traveling

There are still 200+ to go :shepface:

Yeah, but only for the first 10 galaxies or so.

Gimme my Eajerandel title, dammit! :argh:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

It would probably be to deeply unfun. Remember how your hazard protection drains at around +100 °C temperatures? Now imagine it drains 4x faster. Also, the effect of a highly acidic atmosphere has to be added in. 8x faster. Also, huge pressure. 16x faster.

Good luck keeping yourself alive! Very "fun".

Just add craftable armour types for Hyper Extreme Hazard Planets, or make them accessible via questline. Gimme more dressup options for my digital dolls, but give me a reason to use them.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

MrGreenShirt posted:

Yeah, but only for the first 10 galaxies or so.

Gimme my Eajerandel title, dammit! :argh:

Is this an expedition exclusive thing?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ZombieCrew posted:

Is this an expedition exclusive thing?

No, I just never noticed I was slowly collecting those titles until I got another unrelated title from finishing the current expedition and went to look at all of them.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Libluini posted:

No, I just never noticed I was slowly collecting those titles until I got another unrelated title from finishing the current expedition and went to look at all of them.

Ahhh gotcha. Thanks.

On an unrelated note. Im blasting any ship with a frigate module now. drat the rep decrease. I got so many rep items for all factions. Ill just spend some time turning those in.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ZombieCrew posted:

Ahhh gotcha. Thanks.

On an unrelated note. Im blasting any ship with a frigate module now. drat the rep decrease. I got so many rep items for all factions. Ill just spend some time turning those in.

ZombieCrew disembarks aboard a space station

Aliens: "Get out of here you war criminal!"

ZombieCrew hands out bags of Vy'keen Effigies like candy

Aliens: "Ahhhh never mind, you're okay in my book ya lovable scamp"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

expedition was pretty fun, wrapped it up in around 5.5 hours. i dont have a main save but now im gonna start playing proper cause that was fun

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Oh wow this is quite the nightmare, started on the first planet and seeing as i'm on single player hopefully i won't get all the clutter! Nope. About 5 player ships have popped up around me and the wiring looms are drastically over priced because of the demand. These rewards had better be worth it haha.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Personally I love all the anomalous planets, and like to build weird poo poo on them.

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

ZombieCrew disembarks aboard a space station

Aliens: "Get out of here you war criminal!"

ZombieCrew hands out bags of Vy'keen Effigies like candy

Aliens: "Ahhhh never mind, you're okay in my book ya lovable scamp"

Lol, exactly. Im all done with frigate modules now. 2 systems and about an hour later i got everything unlocked. Probably got 35 modules this way.