Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's slated for "summer 2022" and I could have sworn I heard July being thrown around, so I wouldn't expect any news until then at the earliest tbh-- they tend to play cards close to their chest nowadays with "sean murray tweeting emojis" being the only heads-up of releases days or weeks before they show up

I'm assuming something will come out around E3, maybe?

Also, multiplayer NMS is a blast! (also, because I'm a goon, I constantly do a mental second taken when I see the 'nms' abbreviation.)

We all started off on the host's water based planet, visiting his underwater 'base', which was essentially 2 rooms connected underwater. Someone else helped power it (solar panels work underwater!) and then we installed a teleporter. Meanwhile, the host was building an exocraft launcher/spawner for the submarine, which was really neat, because I hadn't used one of them before. I prefer first person exploration and I loved seeing inside of it, but it was super hard to control. Then again, I'm used to Subnautica vehicles. :shrug:

We mostly just goofed around and did space stuff, and that was... honestly perfect. I didn't realize that I could also just go and work on my single player stuff at the same time, in the same multiplayer game. Anyway, we visited each other's bases, one of which was way way wwaaaaaaay high up, tried to get a photo of all of us sitting on the edge of a wall (the base was still under construction), and many falls occurred.

No Man's Sky multiplayer: HIGHLY recommended, especially since it doesn't negate or stall your current progress whatsoever. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

yeah other players are mostly very chill and nice in this game. only once have I had another player try and kill me (on the most recent expedition), but i had pvp turned off so it was fine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pictured: resident cool people, chilling on a wall.

Edit: unrelated, but I didn't want to double post :

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1528453454750003201?t=oSTvpJBsdheOF-AfsXtLAA&s=19

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 22, 2022

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Aww poo poo

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1528503041816666113

Giant marine life?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

No no no see I could actually go into the loving oceans knowing there wasn't poo poo in it :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

No no no see I could actually go into the loving oceans knowing there wasn't poo poo in it :ohdear:

Play Subnautica, fall in love, come back with a new appreciation for deadly sea life.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

more space whales

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I figured it out, they're adding microtransactions and want us all to become whales.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Some random person on the Anomaly dropped an egg in my inventory, so I'm doing the Living Ship quest now while also looking for a planet that has activated indium and isn't constantly trying to murder me with extreme storms or aggressive sentinels. I'm bad enough at building bases and setting up mining operations without having to seek shelter every five minutes.

Aside from doing trade routes and frigate expositions for cash I've also been raiding the everloving poo poo out of freighters in pirate systems controlled by Gek and Korvax.
Is there a downside to tanking your standing with the races? It's weird that I can spend half an hour just ravaging cargo pods and freighters in one system, then immediately jump to another system controlled by the same faction and unload a fuckton of contraband without as much as a scowl from any of the NPCs. Hell, their envoys will still gift me nanites when I probably should be KOS.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Government Handjob posted:

Some random person on the Anomaly dropped an egg in my inventory, so I'm doing the Living Ship quest now while also looking for a planet that has activated indium and isn't constantly trying to murder me with extreme storms or aggressive sentinels. I'm bad enough at building bases and setting up mining operations without having to seek shelter every five minutes.

Aside from doing trade routes and frigate expositions for cash I've also been raiding the everloving poo poo out of freighters in pirate systems controlled by Gek and Korvax.
Is there a downside to tanking your standing with the races? It's weird that I can spend half an hour just ravaging cargo pods and freighters in one system, then immediately jump to another system controlled by the same faction and unload a fuckton of contraband without as much as a scowl from any of the NPCs. Hell, their envoys will still gift me nanites when I probably should be KOS.

I think you stop being able to get missions from them at some point (but who actually does missions) and it may affect what you can buy from them?

There's now forged passports you can get from the outlaw stations that reset your standing to neutral so I think you can always fix it in the long run anyway.

Also, if you only pop the cargo pods on the big freighters and don't destroy the small freighters, I don't think it'll affect your standing, so you could limit yourself to that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I can't believe how much this game has changed since launch.

I've been playing pretty much blind just following the quests and have hit the point where things have gotten interesting; I had a crazy amount nanites when I finally figured out how to use them. So I went around and got class-S scanner upgrades and now I get at least 250k every time I scan an animal and 50k per plant (minerals frustratingly are still 200 units). I bought a ship with a ton of slots and just offload all my elemental stuff off my exosuit whenever I return to the ship.

I just upgraded my hyperdrive to go to red stars and man it's been a sample size of two thus far but these are the first planets I've been on that felt alien.

Game much better A+ would recommend.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 23, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I want to switch out my settlement. Didn't go with the first one that pinged on my quest log, but for some unknown reason I went with the one full of Gek on the frozen planet that has -100 degree blizzards every five minutes. Went looking, and every source tells me it's possible and has a different method of getting a replacement settlement that doesn't work. Maps return regional interference or something, same as if I'd tried using a map of any kind in a dead system. That's if it doesn't just eat the map to no effect. The signal booster might work eventually, but I got sick of it when it kept pointing me to the supply depot I was standing right next to.

I refuse to believe my only option is to fly randomly and hope the settlement pops in before I fly past or wreck my ship in the trees.

e: I don't loving believe it. Tried another settlement chart because what the hell else am I gonna do with all this exploration data and it loving worked. WHY. Why would it not loving work any of the OTHER SEVEN TIMES I TRIED.

e2: Idly, I was curious how many unique combinations there were for the portal coordinates. Turns out it's 16 * 16 * 16 ... to the tenth power. Or a bit over a trillion. :hmmyes:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 23, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there room for it? Every "ocean" I've checked out has the depth of a puddle. Unless they are rejiggering planet generation, I'd bet on space whales.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Yes, Space Whales please. I would very much like my Space Pirate to be able to partake in Space Scrimshaw.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also, if you only pop the cargo pods on the big freighters and don't destroy the small freighters, I don't think it'll affect your standing, so you could limit yourself to that.

Cargo pods are faster and I haven't bothered doing missions for anyone but Outlaws and the Vykeen anyway, so I'll keep raiding and use one of my passports if needed later :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/catmoochie/status/1528631351255220230?t=nPRBs4E4sOssa2cfIFbcTg&s=19

My thoughts exactly.

Wasn't it a pair of eyes for Frontiers (front ears)?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Way-eel?!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's actually a Public Transport update.

NMS is getting whale-ways.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

They're adding procedurally generated Wales

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
HG let me drop a whale on a planet from low orbit.

No Man's Sky: Hitchhikers

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

It's actually Towel Day in a few days :hmmyes:

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Dareon posted:

I want to switch out my settlement. Didn't go with the first one that pinged on my quest log, but for some unknown reason I went with the one full of Gek on the frozen planet that has -100 degree blizzards every five minutes. Went looking, and every source tells me it's possible and has a different method of getting a replacement settlement that doesn't work. Maps return regional interference or something, same as if I'd tried using a map of any kind in a dead system. That's if it doesn't just eat the map to no effect. The signal booster might work eventually, but I got sick of it when it kept pointing me to the supply depot I was standing right next to.

I refuse to believe my only option is to fly randomly and hope the settlement pops in before I fly past or wreck my ship in the trees.

e: I don't loving believe it. Tried another settlement chart because what the hell else am I gonna do with all this exploration data and it loving worked. WHY. Why would it not loving work any of the OTHER SEVEN TIMES I TRIED.

e2: Idly, I was curious how many unique combinations there were for the portal coordinates. Turns out it's 16 * 16 * 16 ... to the tenth power. Or a bit over a trillion. :hmmyes:

I moved settlements as well because my original was on an ugly gamma rock. I had to exchange the nav chips for a new settlement chart. The paradise planet I tried first did not work. Neither did any other of the planets in the same system. So I warped to another system and it worked. The only thing I can think of is the paradise planet system did not have a station, so it could be that or just RNG didn't like me.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

When doing trading loops is it at all worthwhile to use your ship? It seems like trade is kinda weird because I can just teleport back and forth between stations with zero personal risk. Am I missing something or is it really just this easy?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

If you're into min-maxing, you get better prices from planetbound trade depots than you do in space stations. Other than that, not really?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

If you're doing that, you can just build bases at the trade stations and gain the sales advantage, but still be able to teleport between them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wonder why you can't teleport back to your freighter. Not sure if there's some kind of a gameplay advantage to it, or it's prone to bugs (what in this game isn't though?) so they don't let you do it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I assume because teleporters are tied to the coordinates of the base/station and any inbound connections have to match that. Freighters are mobile and can't have a static set of coordinates, same as the Anomaly (if you teleport in and try to fly out of it, where would it put you?).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm trying to see if I can logic an emoji of a whale with the Switch release, and can't.

It's a whale of a console, sales-wise?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm trying to see if I can logic an emoji of a whale with the Switch release, and can't.

It's a whale of a console, sales-wise?

Japan has a thing for whaling and Nintendo is based out of Japan?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Government Handjob posted:

HG let me drop a whale on a planet from low orbit.

No Man's Sky: Hitchhikers

You know how surprised I am that they haven’t really got any references to any other sci-fi franchises? It’s honestly a bit impressive.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

JerikTelorian posted:

When doing trading loops is it at all worthwhile to use your ship? It seems like trade is kinda weird because I can just teleport back and forth between stations with zero personal risk. Am I missing something or is it really just this easy?

The concept of trade loops at all are kind of an artifact of the vanilla game, before a lot of updates and QoL changes that made it comparatively worthless.

They kind of put it back in with outlaws-- the black market price of items seems good enough to be worth hunting down, and preventing you from teleporting from an outlaw station directly to a non-outlaw station means there's at least another hop required to one of your bases, but it's still very much in the "trivialized by game mechanics if you want it to be" category.

The_Doctor posted:

You know how surprised I am that they haven’t really got any references to any other sci-fi franchises? It’s honestly a bit impressive.

glances at the normandy

glances at the Cafe 42 decal

sweats

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Floppychop posted:

I assume because teleporters are tied to the coordinates of the base/station and any inbound connections have to match that. Freighters are mobile and can't have a static set of coordinates, same as the Anomaly (if you teleport in and try to fly out of it, where would it put you?).

You can log in and out on the freighter since it counts as a base, though. I dunno.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

glances at the normandy

glances at the Cafe 42 decal

sweats

Normandy’s a bit more explicit, but you’re right about the Cafe 42 thing.

I’d also chock up the portal’s Stargate opening sequence and that some of the fighter ships components are a bit Star Wars-y.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stare-Out posted:

You can log in and out on the freighter since it counts as a base, though. I dunno.

Save locations can be dynamic, I assume, because by definition they're always loaded and known to be there when relevant. You save when you hop out of your ship on the Anomaly and that location is always dynamic to wherever you summoned it too.

I suspect the real reason there's a difference is because if you save on a dynamic location, then move the location, then reload, by definition you're reloading to a world state where the dynamic location is guaranteed to be there. A portal on a dynamic location means they have to keep track of and update the new portal location every time you move the portal remotely via ship-summon-- aka, why you can leave the anomaly via portal and return to it after from the quick menu, but only for a short period of time and doing just about anything makes that option vanish.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Save locations can be dynamic, I assume, because by definition they're always loaded and known to be there when relevant. You save when you hop out of your ship on the Anomaly and that location is always dynamic to wherever you summoned it too.

I suspect the real reason there's a difference is because if you save on a dynamic location, then move the location, then reload, by definition you're reloading to a world state where the dynamic location is guaranteed to be there. A portal on a dynamic location means they have to keep track of and update the new portal location every time you move the portal remotely via ship-summon-- aka, why you can leave the anomaly via portal and return to it after from the quick menu, but only for a short period of time and doing just about anything makes that option vanish.

That does make sense, but at the same time something they could easily sort out all things considered. It's not like it's a hotly requested feature I guess, just something that occurred to me when I used the teleport on my freighter and couldn't get back to it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Normandy’s a bit more explicit, but you’re right about the Cafe 42 thing.

I’d also chock up the portal’s Stargate opening sequence and that some of the fighter ships components are a bit Star Wars-y.

Giant sand worms
Fighter body that is clearly a viper from BSG
The freighter that's a dead ringer for a Venator class star destroyer

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stare-Out posted:

That does make sense, but at the same time something they could easily sort out all things considered. It's not like it's a hotly requested feature I guess, just something that occurred to me when I used the teleport on my freighter and couldn't get back to it.

tbh I suspect at least part of it is there's already, currently, an issue where teleporting to a land-bound base frequently snaps you to the ground no matter where on the vertical axis your portal is, and semifrequent "oops I clipped through the ground and fell until the failsafes caught me and blipped me up" issues, so adding those to a freighter where there are no failsafes to situations where you fall through space forever based on "whatever was up/down on your freighter" until your life support runs out, and can't be any failsafes without breaking a critical basebuilding tool for low orbit bases, would be....optimistic, on HG's part

we'll probably see it some day but there's a lot of moving parts that are primed for face-chewing if they Just Did That

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The_Doctor posted:

Not exactly sci-fi, but

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dareon posted:

Not exactly sci-fi, but

Wait, where's this character in the anomaly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, where's this character in the anomaly?

It's just a random traveller on a space station. They appear there sometimes.