Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sometimes chance encounters are the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, so I started No Man's Sky and was put on a superheated planet that kept slowly roasting me alive. I got off of there, only to find out that it has two neighbors: one has aggressive sentinels, and the other is as irradiated as the original planet was hot and also has a bunch of sentinels.

This is a bad spawn, right? Or are all spawns this mean?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Government Handjob posted:

looking for a planet that has activated indium and isn't constantly trying to murder me with extreme storms or aggressive sentinels. I'm bad enough at building bases and setting up mining operations without having to seek shelter every five minutes.

Activated indium and the other 'activated' stellar metals only appear on extreme weather planets. But if you use the build camera you can build while sheltering.

Cleretic posted:

Okay, so I started No Man's Sky and was put on a superheated planet that kept slowly roasting me alive. I got off of there, only to find out that it has two neighbors: one has aggressive sentinels, and the other is as irradiated as the original planet was hot and also has a bunch of sentinels.

Sounds about normal. you will always spawn somewhere with lovely weather as a tutorial basically. It becomes way less of an issue once you can buy some upgrades and stacks of batteries for your hazard protection, and the terrain gun to make shelter.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 24, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Get as much sulphur, oxygen, and carbon as possible, and you're essentially fine.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Get as much sulphur, oxygen, and carbon as possible, and you're essentially fine.

Yeah, I'd do that if the sentinels didn't murder me for trying to.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cleretic posted:

I usually spawn in a system with at least a few sentinel free planet. Def don't be afraid to to respawn if you want a more relaxed start!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Cleretic posted:

Is this just in a normal game (and not one of those newfangled Expedition things)? New game spawns are entirely random, so it's a roll of the dice where you'll end up, and it's not uncommon for every planet in a given system to have some kind of harsh environment; while paradise planets aren't as uncommon in Euclid as in some other galaxies, they're still the exception, not the norm. It's not too difficult to get a hyperdrive together, though; just stick to your Sentinel-free hot planet as much as possible (as Sentinel combat will probably get you killed in the early game), collect lots of sodium so you can keep recharging your environmental protection system (you can use your suit's scanner pulse thing to locate sodium-rich plants), and collect what you need to get your ship equipped with a hyperdrive and some fuel, and then you'll be free to explore and find a more hospitable location to settle down in.

If your starting location is truly unplayable (e.g. every planet has aggressive Sentinels or some shite), you can always just start a new game, as well; no shame in rerolling if you ended up with snake eyes.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cleretic posted:

Did you choose survival mode instead of normal? Survival is like hard mode and it will often give you a rough spawn.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cleretic posted:

Aggressive sentinels will just straight-up try to murder you, but regular ones will only attack if you harvest something while they're scanning you, which they'll usually only do if you harvest something while they're watching. I've occasionally mined a field of special deposits by harvesting one, waving at the sentinel in my face like it's an annoying mosquito, then harvesting another when its scan finishes.

If you just run far enough in a straight line (Straight line not required, just outdistance their search timer) the sentinels will give up. A bit of a risky gamble, but you can exploit the aggressive sentinel planet for some really good early money. Scattered about the surface of aggressive planets are clusters of gravitino balls. Picking one up will alert the sentinels, but if you pick up more while the alert's on, it doesn't affect the alert status. You can harvest a cluster, run from the sentinels, and harvest any other clusters you encounter in your flight.

Once you have some cash and specifically some nanites (Scanning all the animals on a planet will let you collect a hefty amount of nanites, and you have a chance to get some from basically any container. Also the gooey Junk items will refine into each other and eventually into Runaway Mould, which refines into nanites 5:1), buying environmental protection modules from the exosuit upgrade vendor is probably your best bet (Also, always stop by the exosuit vendor on a new station and buy their suit storage upgrade from the little kiosk next to them). It took me way too long to do this myself, and it just made the game way easier. You want B or better, S if you can swing it, and to buy out the station's stock of ion batteries at the same time.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

tbh I suspect at least part of it is there's already, currently, an issue where teleporting to a land-bound base frequently snaps you to the ground no matter where on the vertical axis your portal is, and semifrequent "oops I clipped through the ground and fell until the failsafes caught me and blipped me up" issues, so adding those to a freighter where there are no failsafes to situations where you fall through space forever based on "whatever was up/down on your freighter" until your life support runs out, and can't be any failsafes without breaking a critical basebuilding tool for low orbit bases, would be....optimistic, on HG's part

we'll probably see it some day but there's a lot of moving parts that are primed for face-chewing if they Just Did That

Sometimes when I save on my Freighter and then load the game, I end up loading halfway into ship geometry. I ended up putting my save point right next to the portal so I can warp out if it screws up.

Freighters are screwy.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I was using my Pulse Engines, and somehow clipped into the interior of my Freighter. I had to warp to another system to get myself unstuck.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Recently I had one of the sentinel support freighters warp in on top of me, trapping me in its geometry unable to warp out or shoot anything. Had to reload from my last save.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

Did you choose survival mode instead of normal? Survival is like hard mode and it will often give you a rough spawn.

I know exactly what I'm doing and still managed to have 2 survival permadeath spawns in a row that were flat out unsurvivable before I got one with enough resources in arms reach to actually make it to my ship

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Giant update just pushed on NMS, no notes yet though.

Edit: Appears to be a living frigate expedition.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 25, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Edit: nm, it was someone's wish list.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 25, 2022

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Pretty sure that's just a speculation tweet. If they did release some underwater shite, though, hopefully they've given us better underwater vehicles, because covering miles of endless ocean in the loving Nautilon at 13u/s during that one underwater exploration questline was the least fun thing I've ever done in this game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1529447206788419586

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was using my Pulse Engines, and somehow clipped into the interior of my Freighter. I had to warp to another system to get myself unstuck.

This happens from time to time. I'm pretty sure the pulse jump or whatever can be prone to turning off just in time to gently caress you over in this way

Not as bad as coming back from a multiplayer expedition and getting trapped when you're loaded into an already-full lobby though

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The game could probably use some kind of emergency /unstuck command for semi-common bugs

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just submitted a bug to HG.

It's for when you get Tethys to build your own sentinel helper. When he tells you to talk to others on the anomaly for supplies to build it, apparently you don't have to do that, and can just talk to him again. He'll give you a sentinel buddy, and speak as though you've come back with the materials from other iterations. But your quest still says to talk to those characters, so you go and do it, then talk to Tethys again, and he'll once again talk about the supplies the others have given you, and build you another sentinel.

I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be some check as to whether you've actually gone and spoken to others, but that's not working properly.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The game could probably use some kind of emergency /unstuck command for semi-common bugs

It sort of does, in the form of the emergency warp ship technology, but yeah it'd be nice if they had something a bit more explicit for it

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Time for all my mods to break!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Omnicarus posted:

gdi I keep forgetting that "freighters" and "frigates" are different things in this game

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

gdi I keep forgetting that "freighters" and "frigates" are different things in this game

Yeah it would be nice if either one of them changed to something else, like "cruiser" for what is currently a "frigate" or "flagship" for what is currently the "freighter".

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

marktheando posted:

Activated indium and the other 'activated' stellar metals only appear on extreme weather planets. But if you use the build camera you can build while sheltering.

This is good to know, thanks!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

bgreman posted:

"flagship" for what is currently the "freighter".

They should really do this anyway, since it hardly seems fitting to call your mile-long spaceship a "freighter" when it can only hold like half the volume of shite that you can stuff into your space backpack... :saddumb:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I logic it that the freighter goes about its own business buying and selling in-system while it's waiting for me to somehow summon it from anywhere in the universe. My storage section of the freighter is therefore pretty small. But honestly a lot of things in this space fantasy game don't make sense, and it's fine. My character hasn't had a nap or a bath, eaten or taken a dump, literally ever, and it's fine.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

My character hasn't had a nap or a bath, eaten or taken a dump, literally ever, and it's fine.

That's because the Exosuit is actually a modified Y-17 Trauma Harness.

Doesn't matter if you're dead! The suit keeps going.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ghostlight posted:

more space whales
occams razor wins for once

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Christ, that expedition is kicking my rear end. Spend 10 minutes trying to climb an almost completely vertical hill, trying to get to my starship, barely surviving the atmosphere and lack of oxygen, and I get smacked around by a predator.

And due to the nature of the expedition, I get a milestone for dying.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

doctorfrog posted:

My character hasn't had a nap or a bath, eaten or taken a dump, literally ever, and it's fine.

To be fair, there's no telling what your character is getting up to while you're logged out! :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Get a personal refiner, process faecium fairly constantly.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Christ, that expedition is kicking my rear end. Spend 10 minutes trying to climb an almost completely vertical hill, trying to get to my starship, barely surviving the atmosphere and lack of oxygen, and I get smacked around by a predator.

And due to the nature of the expedition, I get a milestone for dying.

I got to my ship after a fair amount of vertical hassle, realized at least one death was absolutely required to get the single thing you need to repair it, threw myself off a nearby cliff and just about threw my controller right along with my ragdolling body

also did survival/permadeath always have exorbitantly expensive poo poo, or is that just "for this expedition", becuase 30 salvaged data for a base room and 50 salvaged frigate modules for a matter beam is really, really, really reinforcing the "never play in permadeath/survival" even more than the perpetual inventory management

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I got to the centre on permadeath like a week or so ago and I do not remember inflated module costs - just a much more limited inventory.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
gets killed through a solid wall of earth by a sentinel that's clipped through the ground

oh, right, the other reason I never play permadeath in this game

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Everything that costs nanites or salvaged data has been multiplied by 10, but it's only for the expedition. Other than that it's standard survival rules, with the exception that you lose everything and start from the beginning, similar to the way that permadeath does. What makes it different than a permadeath run is the difficulty level and the fact that your save file will not delete when you die.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's no way to transfer stuff between saves, is there? Because I'd love to replace the (Perfectly acceptable, just not quite my style) solar I have on my main save with the (Nearly perfectly-themed) one I started with in this expedition.

Similarly, I'm slightly annoyed they gave out quicksilver for finishing Outlaws and I couldn't see a way to claim it on my main, because what's the expedition guy gonna spend it on, it's not like I'll be playing him ever again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah it was lame but you can at least spend it on something cheap you wouldn't otherwise buy on your main and it'll be unlocked for all your saves from there on.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Dareon posted:

There's no way to transfer stuff between saves, is there? Because I'd love to replace the (Perfectly acceptable, just not quite my style) solar I have on my main save with the (Nearly perfectly-themed) one I started with in this expedition.

No. You can use a save editor and transfer the hex code that represents the ship from one to another. That would only affect the outside appearance. So any upgrades you did to the original would not be affected by changing it's hex code. I did that to one of my ships because I spent billions upgrading it and didn't want to do it again just because I wanted a couple colors changed. It's a good idea to create a backup save file before messing with the save file, though, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah it was lame but you can at least spend it on something cheap you wouldn't otherwise buy on your main and it'll be unlocked for all your saves from there on.

Wow, I didn't think about that. I need to load into that save one more time before I consider it done now.