Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

forest spirit posted:

What?? NMS is the game of great change lol

With the amount of crazy updates and paradigm shifts NMS has had, of course they can make this change.

Everyone would be excited for a week and then it would become the new normal.

The game has had so many upgrades, why would you stamp on a much, much needed one at the "let's discuss it!!" phase

Whoa, calm down. I was basically saying that it's not likely they'll introduce a new level of tedium, by default. It'll either be a part of a new ship type, or it'll be an option you'll have to specifically enable.

That is if they'd do it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

forest spirit posted:

What?? NMS is the game of great change lol

With the amount of crazy updates and paradigm shifts NMS has had, of course they can make this change.

yeah the easiest way to do it would be to just call it "simulation mode" or something like that, they've already introduced whole new gameplay modes in the past and made lots of tweaks to flight mechanics already

hopefully such a thing would also finally introduce customizable ships! at least at the level of repainting them if not more in depth like some kind of external visual changes that correspond to various upgrades

personally i wouldn't want it quite as fiddly as Elite because that game kind of crosses the line into frustration more often than not, at least for me. but it would be nice to have some degree more involvement in actually flying and maintaining one's ship, it seems kind of weird that at this point they have put more effort into freighters than the personal ships that we spend more time in

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 6, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I hope 4.0 or whatever big update is coming at the end of this expedition is a ship update.

They've already added more (rovers! and a motorcycle!) and more (submarines!) and more (mech walkers!) and more (ride on your crazy sky worm from the bubble planet!) vehicles that handle differently, they should add multi-crew ships. Like, 4 seaters and a tiny bit of walking around space (not like a base).

If you don't have friends you can just recruit AI homies to sit in the seats

but yeah slightly bigger multi-crew vessels and customisable OG ships, with a more technical (but let's be real not even too horribly technical) flight model.

I think combat on planets is weak - and I can't see them improving it much. There's a ton of room for their space-flight, though. And hell compared to launch there's so much poo poo in space now - and they could easily keep adding more.

At least adding space content doesn't seem to gently caress up planet seeds so they could just keep expanding on the space poo poo

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
my hope has been multi-crew ships, or at least ships that have a little bit of interior space to walk around in. something like that would greatly improve the planets that rain battery acid because at least i could set up some refiners or something while i wait without having to hop out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I want (potentially) life-ending creatures and bosses in the derelict freighters. I want something bad to be hunting me down across the universe. I want more reasons to empty a clip of my scatter blaster into someone or something's face.

:clint:

Also, let me put decals on my ship at least. You could do it in F-Zero GX, and I've been hooked since.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Decals would be siiiick

But maybe they'll add zero-G to space lol

make it so when you jump off of your freighter you don't start plummeting straight down, you float! if you're close enough, use your boosters to get back.

like even just having to leave your ship and tether yourself to it's engine to power a hand held asteroid driller or something

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I want (potentially) life-ending creatures and bosses in the derelict freighters. I want something bad to be hunting me down across the universe. I want more reasons to empty a clip of my scatter blaster into someone or something's face.

:clint:

I don't, thanks.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

The biggest virtue of NMS is that if there's something you don't like, you can almost 100% ignore it.

A glitch bounty hunter chasing you, and seeing their trail on the galaxy map would be cool.

It would also, almost certainly, be something like a guild or mercenary crew you would need to opt into.

But it's still cool that you just don't like that and that's it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Apart from the visit another freighter optional mission I just have to find 4 more frigates to complete my fleet, but I never see any with the $ icon in any systems anymore, strange!

Also I need to earn more space bux quickly, probably by just pillaging some well stocked bases and selling everything off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I don't, thanks.

And I agree with this! I want all of the stuff I said, but for it to be clearly separated, and a part of a quest line that you have to specifically do.

I don't want anyone who doesn't want to fight to have to fight. :shobon:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I want to at least color my ship. And switch parts around from other ships of the same class I've owned.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Is 21 mold deposits on a normally-peaceful planet a lot? It feels like a lot.

I'd like to welcome you goons to visit. With an A-class pistol (soon s!) with Optical Drill in the center of a + of other modules, I am getting over 13k mold per visit.

The coordinates didn't show up on camera mode for some reason.

Eissentam

Also! I had all the mold refiners empty themselves on my Freighter just now. I left, and when I came back they were (a) done and (b) full. So I guess that's good? It's weird they blinked in and out of existence.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I want more planet variety, more Biological Horror Lore (WHAT IS THEIR DEAL? HOW ARE THEY CONNECTED WITH INFESTED PLANETS AND LIVING SHIPS AND MAYBE ABYSSAL HORRORS?,) more Glitch Planet Lore / stuff to find on them, and yeah, having at least one worthwhile fight in there would be cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

They also changed the portable exocraft summoning station at some point to be re-pick-upable like portable refiners are, so if you're doing an anomaly mission and can't/don't want to move your freighter in*, you can just drop the portable summoning station, warp in whatever exocraft, and immediately stick it back in your pocket.

*Previously I'd never have a reason to not do this, but now that you can warp directly to your freighter it's suddenly become more alluring to use it as a temporary bookmark to get back to where you were without needing to throw down a bookmark base or try to remember what the system name was-- especially if you want to do anomaly missions that warp you out of the system without automatically triggering the pirate event when you leave the anomaly again

It was guaranteed that the space station your freighter was in would show up on your teleporter list before but of course you had to know what it was to make use of this, I'm glad they just made it more clear.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Does anyone else keep a spreadsheet of systems and what S-class upgrade modules are available in each or is that just me?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tsar Mikey posted:

Does anyone else keep a spreadsheet of systems and what S-class upgrade modules are available in each or is that just me?

I let the internet keep that stuff documented. I know that there are at least two or three online resources for me to find anything I'm looking for.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tsar Mikey posted:

I keep a list of which systems have a positive price for activated indium and any systems with S class derelict freighters in them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
lol now my refiners are emptying themselves in front of my eyes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tsar Mikey posted:

If I care about it enough I'll usually rely on "drop a base with a meaningful name" with "take a screenshot with portal glyphs visible" being an alternative

System names don't matter much when it's hard/impossible to actually find anything by system, doubly so when sometimes system names will change depending on the current state of the discovery database-- it's not uncommon to see something shift between multiple different names of procgen name, first person to find it on PS4, first person to find it on PC, etc

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Does the teleporter list have a max number of previously visited stations? That was something I thought of that could also mess up my spreadsheet thing and basically what I'm going off of.

I actually like your meaningful base name idea better though. Keeps everything inside of the game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
There's a maximum but I don't know it off the top of my head-- I want to say it's 100 for previous stations visited but take that with a grain of salt-- even if that was correct at some point in the past, there's no guarantee it hasn't quietly been expanded at some point.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dwarf74 posted:

Is 21 mold deposits on a normally-peaceful planet a lot? It feels like a lot.

I'd like to welcome you goons to visit. With an A-class pistol (soon s!) with Optical Drill in the center of a + of other modules, I am getting over 13k mold per visit.

The coordinates didn't show up on camera mode for some reason.

Eissentam

Also! I had all the mold refiners empty themselves on my Freighter just now. I left, and when I came back they were (a) done and (b) full. So I guess that's good? It's weird they blinked in and out of existence.

I just spent far too long working on knowledge stone crap and keeping an eye out for mould, the most I saw was 15 so "yeah that's probably a lot"

If you set up a teleport chain to go 600u away and back you can get it to all respawn instantly if you're interested in that

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's kind of nifty seeing ways the production economy works. Like I was going to complain that it's silly how much everything depends on frost crystals, but then I saw you can refine them out of the gasses and heavy mines that seem to show up the most in my travels (oxygen/radon and dioxite).

I'm actually starting to realize the thing I'm wasting time on is growing all this stuff, I should be taking all this stuff I mine and tossing it into refiners that make the plants pop out instead. Like I just sold like 200 K worth of paraffinium today, I should have turned that into star bulbs.

I wonder if this is what it's like to be a rich miner in real life.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I just spent far too long working on knowledge stone crap and keeping an eye out for mould, the most I saw was 15 so "yeah that's probably a lot"

If you set up a teleport chain to go 600u away and back you can get it to all respawn instantly if you're interested in that
I might! But I haven't bothered to learn that yet. How far can those jump in one go?

The weather is nice with occasional rippers, but it's high sentinel activity. The tower isn't crazy far away, and I've marked it with a save beacon for future visits. If possible, I might as well kill two birds with one stone. (Sorry, its multitool is unremarkable.)

I've also set up some medium refiners on-base because I no longer trust the ones on my freighter. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

It's kind of nifty seeing ways the production economy works. Like I was going to complain that it's silly how much everything depends on frost crystals, but then I saw you can refine them out of the gasses and heavy mines that seem to show up the most in my travels (oxygen/radon and dioxite).

I'm actually starting to realize the thing I'm wasting time on is growing all this stuff, I should be taking all this stuff I mine and tossing it into refiners that make the plants pop out instead. Like I just sold like 200 K worth of paraffinium today, I should have turned that into star bulbs.

I wonder if this is what it's like to be a rich miner in real life.

It gets even more insane when you notice you can refine high-end trade components with your refiner, too!

You can even go even more extreme and just mine absurd amounts of one gas and then "refine" it into the other ones you'll need. You can even double down by mining Oxygen on another base: Oxygen can be used as an additional component in many transformation-recipes to massively boost output.

Oxygen can also be refined into Carbon, which is another material a lot of high-end crafting recipes need for refining!

The only sad thing is, as soon as you reach mid-tier crafting you'll have to continue manually. Nitrogen Salts are OK, for example, but Organic Catalysts need to be constructed in your inventory, as normal.

Also plants give you a lot of their stuff, I think they were adjusted a couple times over past patches, now that we can hold 9999 of each raw material. Make a good-sized garden of your favorite plants, and a single harvesting session gives you many thousands of frost crystals, for example.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I found an S-class freighter I loved, bought it, and my base didn't migrate over.

Yay.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dwarf74 posted:

I found an S-class freighter I loved, bought it, and my base didn't migrate over.

Yay.

There's a currently-outstanding bug where you must leave at least one item of cargo in the old freighter for the game to give you the option to transfer your base over, unfortunately.

dwarf74 posted:

I might! But I haven't bothered to learn that yet. How far can those jump in one go?

I think the limit is 200u

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

There's a currently-outstanding bug where you must leave at least one item of cargo in the old freighter for the game to give you the option to transfer your base over, unfortunately.

I think the limit is 200u
Yeah. I ultimately decided I could just remake the base since I was thinking of doing it anyways. I had tons of... Whatever refines to silver... And it's all good now. Going to be a task getting all my tech back on but eh. I need goals!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
finished the expedition, took bizarrely long to fill out my frigates. systems wouldnt spawn with any and the ones that did would only offer 1, maybe 2. meanwhile on my main save i feel like im harassed by them constantly. oddly enough i used portal to go to my home system from main account and still, bizarrely quiet on the frigate front.

sad to learn you can make a second base near an existing one on your same "account" but different saves. was gonna build up my little cityscape perimeter for my settlement, but nope! not allowed. i may have to install the gamespass version again and fly to my system and try it that way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I need to find a dusty, dry, inhospitable planet, build an indium farm, like a massive one, with a small trailer attached to it, with some spare tires out front.

I love going full-on for a given aesthetic.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

finished the expedition, took bizarrely long to fill out my frigates. systems wouldnt spawn with any and the ones that did would only offer 1, maybe 2. meanwhile on my main save i feel like im harassed by them constantly. oddly enough i used portal to go to my home system from main account and still, bizarrely quiet on the frigate front.

sad to learn you can make a second base near an existing one on your same "account" but different saves. was gonna build up my little cityscape perimeter for my settlement, but nope! not allowed. i may have to install the gamespass version again and fly to my system and try it that way.

You can "encroach" on other bases a bit if you're feeling so inclined but I don't know how it looks to other players-- bases initially look at an area of something like 300u? radius from the base computer but can be expanded out to an absolute maximum radius of 1000u by pushing out the bubble of "buildability" with more base pieces. I haven't played with it a ton, I just know that you can at minimum trick the game into letting you build into spots that a base computer isn't allowed in normally.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm in a whole different metagame as I'm nearly at the money cap and have nothing really to spend it on. No new ships I've found to buy, and even then they're at most a few million, more frigates just means more frigate missions which brings in several million per mission, and switching my A-class freighter for an S-rank would be free because of how tricked out my freighter is right now.

Like, let me swap money for quicksilver at a super punishing rate at least or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

You can "encroach" on other bases a bit if you're feeling so inclined but I don't know how it looks to other players-- bases initially look at an area of something like 300u? radius from the base computer but can be expanded out to an absolute maximum radius of 1000u by pushing out the bubble of "buildability" with more base pieces. I haven't played with it a ton, I just know that you can at minimum trick the game into letting you build into spots that a base computer isn't allowed in normally.

I've already built closer to the settlement than the computer would let me place it and I have my power generators pretty far from my main spot. I could build other bases around it for my own gratification, but apparently other players will only ever see 1 base a ta time per planet, and it'll be the last one you edited. If I go to this spot on Xbox Gamespass account I should be able to build another city on the ridge that'll be visible to my main steam account and any visitors.

Stare-Out posted:

I'm in a whole different metagame as I'm nearly at the money cap and have nothing really to spend it on. No new ships I've found to buy, and even then they're at most a few million, more frigates just means more frigate missions which brings in several million per mission, and switching my A-class freighter for an S-rank would be free because of how tricked out my freighter is right now.

Like, let me swap money for quicksilver at a super punishing rate at least or something.

Definitely needs more money sinks, especially since they nerfed the cost of living frigates from over a billion to like a couple hundred mil at best. It's kind of hard to even want to set up a money farm when it's so easy to just pop into a rando's farm once or twice for more cash than you'll ever really need. Salvage Data is my most wanted currency currently, just because I get sick of digging for em and the missions for em aren't any faster. Just a ton of junk to unlock for decoration and whatnot.

Money is weird in this game, "high value" bounties offering liek 150,000, like, anything less than a million feels kind of like a joke when you're flying around in a nice ship that just shot out of a massive capital freighter with 30 frigates that regularly bring back junk consolation prizes worth over a million.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

FYI you can move your base computer after your claim is staked. This includes moving it into the areas you extended beyond the 350U limit and inside your settlement.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I hopped into multiplayer with my older kid. Headed to a planet.

It's a paradise planet for him. It's tropical to me with violent heat storms and tons of sentinels.

I'm on PC and he's on PS5. Is this just a thing that happens?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

dwarf74 posted:

It's a paradise planet for him. It's tropical to me with violent heat storms and tons of sentinels.

Is your save on survival mode by any chance? If it is you can use the save editor to change it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dwarf74 posted:

If that's his starting area/system, yes-- the game will automagically "tone down" weather/sentinels for people near where they initially spawn so you don't have to deal with basically guaranteed instadeath while you're still running through the exosuit tutorial. I'm not sure how many systems into the main quest the game will keep doing that for, I've never dug into it too hard.

As far as I'm aware that should be the only time/location that happens, but the fact that mechanic intentionally exists certainly means there's bug potential for it happening accidentally

Less Fat Luke posted:

Is your save on survival mode by any chance? If it is you can use the save editor to change it.

Normal/Survival/Permadeath players can't multiplayer with each other at all cross-difficulty like that

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Huh TIL!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Libluini posted:

It gets even more insane when you notice you can refine high-end trade components with your refiner, too!

You can even go even more extreme and just mine absurd amounts of one gas and then "refine" it into the other ones you'll need. You can even double down by mining Oxygen on another base: Oxygen can be used as an additional component in many transformation-recipes to massively boost output.

Oxygen can also be refined into Carbon, which is another material a lot of high-end crafting recipes need for refining!

The only sad thing is, as soon as you reach mid-tier crafting you'll have to continue manually. Nitrogen Salts are OK, for example, but Organic Catalysts need to be constructed in your inventory, as normal.

Also plants give you a lot of their stuff, I think they were adjusted a couple times over past patches, now that we can hold 9999 of each raw material. Make a good-sized garden of your favorite plants, and a single harvesting session gives you many thousands of frost crystals, for example.

I learned all this stuff too late. The oxygen -> carbon thing was the biggest thing I wish I knew earlier, I have an A oxygen mine and a C oxygen location right next to one of my bases that I haven't even bothered to set up that I could have used when I was building a huge wood bridge (on a paradise planet with no sentinels, funny enough. The downside of the place is the animals are rabid and you never stop fighting if you touch ground so I ultimately just built a catwalk to avoid them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

I learned all this stuff too late. The oxygen -> carbon thing was the biggest thing I wish I knew earlier, I have an A oxygen mine and a C oxygen location right next to one of my bases that I haven't even bothered to set up that I could have used when I was building a huge wood bridge (on a paradise planet with no sentinels, funny enough. The downside of the place is the animals are rabid and you never stop fighting if you touch ground so I ultimately just built a catwalk to avoid them).

Don't worry, this game is full of weird poo poo that is easily overlooked. I'm also cheating by having my main PC and my PS4+TV set up in the same room, so I can just literally swivel around to my keyboard to look stuff up immediately. Which is what I started doing and never stopped when I just accidentally stumbled into all that stuff you can do with Radon. :v:

The stupidest thing I've ever had to do was when I found a planet with S-class Magnetized Ferrite plus Nitrogen plus a source of electromagnetic energy, all in easy reach -if you apply yourself. The same planet also has devastating storms, so I had to carefully move around and build three different highways of shelters with teleporters inside to connect all three spots to the geographical center.

But now that base creates shitloads of Magnetized Ferrite, which in turn can be refined back into tons of Pure Ferrite. This plus the realizations that basic normal Ferrite Dust can be bought everywhere ended my constant Ferrite-famine (caused by over-enthusiastic base building syndrome) instantly.

This game allows the weirdest poo poo. There's another base that's busy mining Dioxite. Even though it turned out really useful later, I actually built that mining base because I needed Phosphorous at the time and was too lazy to continue searching. So I just built a Dioxite-mine and now if I need Phosphorous, I just put my obscene quantities of both Dioxite and Ferrite into a blender and make it. :shepface: