Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Looks nice so far, but the character customization is more a gimmick than anything else. It's really confusing to me why they put it only at a certain part of the game, so you can't actually make a new character, just change the one you have.

Which is OK, but breaks my immersion so hard I'll probably never use that drat thing

At least the framerate is OK on PS4, OwlFancier really had me scared for a moment :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Just reading the patch notes - wtf is a guild envoy mission?

nice things
- Added empty systems, with no current inhabitants
- Added abandoned systems, with derelict space stations
- New underground ruins building type
- Procedurally generated technology
- Procedurally generated products

bad things
- Brightened cave interiors, especially at night

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 24, 2018

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

660ti, intel i5.

Old certainly but I've never yet run into a game that ran this poorly except for the new doom, and that's a really nice looking game.

Yeah, your graphics card is probably not up to it. This game is one of a very few that stresses my PC (6700k, 1080ti, ultra settings @ 1440). You might be able to make it playable by turning down a load of settings.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

OwlFancier posted:

660ti, intel i5.

Old certainly but I've never yet run into a game that ran this poorly except for the new doom, and that's a really nice looking game. I'm supposedly well above the minimum requirements so gently caress only knows what they run like.

those minimum specs probably haven't been updated since 2016, and even then they were probably too generous. I dunno what to tell you besides I couldn't even run borderlands 2 on my old 660 without compromising either framerate or resolution.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borderlands 2 was a little bit chuggy in some bits on decent settings but it ran fine otherwise.

Turned literally everything I could either off or down and it's still just unplayable unless you stare at the ground.

Refunded it anyway.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

660ti, intel i5.

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

toiletbrush posted:

Just reading the patch notes - wtf is a guild envoy mission?

Brand new feature, probably no one has found one yet. Somewhere else it said that guild envoys are NPCs that appear and offer missions if you have high guild standing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There are guilds in the game. I wasn't aware until I required high standing with them to advance the story (even in creative mode.)

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Has anyone that continued a save from before been able to do the freighter tutorial and get the free ship? This will probably be the biggest factor in me playing a new save or not.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

"Resource deposits are worth considerably more on planets with extreme weather"
Is this a new thing or have I just missed this before?

Also, I've been playing for a few hours on an old PS4 and it runs just fine. There's just sometimes a stuttering sound when entering/exiting planets

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Trastion posted:

Has anyone that continued a save from before been able to do the freighter tutorial and get the free ship? This will probably be the biggest factor in me playing a new save or not.

I might be missing something, or it might be tied to my base that vanished and I haven't rebuilt yet, but I have no starter missions in my log so it seems I can't get it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Decided to jump in and start fresh on survival. I'm constantly getting hassled by sentinels right at the start before ive even managed to rrpair my scanner and dying, is this typical or should I restart again?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Downloading the update for PS4. I haven't played since the first few weeks the game came out. Should I just say gently caress it and restart? I've got 140m in the bank and a maxed out spaceship/suit/gun from what I recall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Big McHuge posted:

Downloading the update for PS4. I haven't played since the first few weeks the game came out. Should I just say gently caress it and restart? I've got 140m in the bank and a maxed out spaceship/suit/gun from what I recall.

Say gently caress it. Even if your save doesn't blow up from a leftover bug or procedural generation issue, you advanced enough that the new mechanics won't be compelling.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The solar system has been wiped out twice now, so it's probably best to restart standard game modes. Not so sure about creative.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone should restart because pretty much every single thing has had fairly decent changes it seems. I mean the names of elements and how you fuel things etc is all different now even. Calling this "1.5" is a bit weird because so much is different. You now start off building a wood cabin lmao

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I wish carbon still replenished your life supports, but I accept that was patches and patches ago.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I wish carbon still replenished your life supports, but I accept that was patches and patches ago.

At least there’s a quick menu to refill your life support and weapon, there wasn’t at launch and it was one of the most tedious things ever.

In fact I feel the big theme with all the patches has been we learned what was tedious and tried to improve it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ok different problem. How do I find my ship again after finding it for the first time and wondering off to get stuff to repair it? It says that it should always be tracked but I see no icon anywhere.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cactus posted:

Ok different problem. How do I find my ship again after finding it for the first time and wondering off to get stuff to repair it? It says that it should always be tracked but I see no icon anywhere.

You need to build an analysis visor. A tutorial message should pop up shortly after you find the part youre looking for.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Gave it a shot and I'll have to mess around with the settings a bit before I get it to look / run decently. But boy did I get screwed by my starting planets

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
The crash turned out to be a one-off and I had fun for awhile. A few things that stuck out:

1) I forgot how counter-intuitive the UI is. It took actively searching for minutes to figure out something as basic as switching between 3rd and 1st person camera.
2) Planet gen is way, way nicer now. It's still nothing like real world scope but the mountains and hills are much more impressive than they were before.
3) The new tutorial experience has you scrabbling about for survival within the first minute, which seems weird for chillgame but it's fun enough.
4) Performance was okay on my middling system, minus the obscene amount of time loading took.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, after looking around in one of my old saves and starting new to test the character creation, learning that character "creation" actually doesn't exist I decided to restart again and welp.

Turns out that was a bad idea, because the paradise planet of my first attempt at 1.5 was replaced by a hellish desert with active Sentinels. (At least it was just one in my starting area I could run away from.) Then I learned my ship was at the top of a high mountain. Ha ha ha, very funny, you game you :suicide:

Still, a lot more fun then the starts I had before. And definitely less deadly then the one start on a green acid poison planet I had with 1.4

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Libluini posted:

Turns out that was a bad idea, because the paradise planet of my first attempt at 1.5 was replaced by a hellish desert with active Sentinels. (At least it was just one in my starting area I could run away from.) Then I learned my ship was at the top of a high mountain. Ha ha ha, very funny, you game you :suicide:

Both my starts were in hostile environments, but at the same time the material to recharge your environmental shields and life support are omnipresent now. Aside from the initial "omgwtf" experience it didn't feel particularly bad.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

First impressions not good. The game chugs on my PS4. I landed on a toxic rainy planet and could not get above 30 frames. Loaded in the first time, game tells me to collect ferrite while I'm constantly being attacked by little flying drones that respawn on each other when they die and I couldn't lose them after running away. They would have the little question mark up and follow me forever.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

The elusive male and female Hopadongs. I'm spending way too much time trying to figure out the ecology of Dick Planet, there are at least 4-5 species that look like little hopping weiners.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I started my first game ever, the planet was highly radioactive and within two minutes I was dead. I restarted and it gave me another radioactive planet that kills me. My third planet was extreme toxic.

This is on normal!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The planet the tutorial wanted me to build my first base on was a balmy archipelago so that was nice. I'd post a pic but the water looks like poo poo :shrug:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Carecat posted:

I started my first game ever, the planet was highly radioactive and within two minutes I was dead. I restarted and it gave me another radioactive planet that kills me. My third planet was extreme toxic.

This is on normal!

I experienced the same thing. Restarted twice and then just went with it.

I've found my tutorial base on a very small island in the middle of a giant ocean. No land whatsoever to be seen, apart from my little, dumb island. Makes it feel so unique and isolated. There are two trees and one lonely baby dragon wandering around.
However, there's this huge continent on the opposite side, the only continent on the planet. It's really cool!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Carecat posted:

This is on normal!

After the last big update I started a new game and I think I had to restart about 4 or 5 times to get something habitable. Pretty lovely but I ended up with a gorgeous starting planet.

Just reroll.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've seen blue skies on both my planets. Granted this bit of space is a blue tint, but in my pre-NEXT save purple space still had a normal sky day and night. Tell me they didnt gently caress with the weird colors the sky can be

E: I do love the changes to recipes, it makes a sort of sense. Fixing the ship actually felt like fixing a ship.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don’t start on easy planet, fools. Suffering through hostile terrain and a planet that wants to kill you only to survive and escape then giving it a silly name for others to see your conquered husk of a hell world forever owned is the best part of starting.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Can anyone give me a rundown on how multiplayer works? I read the first result that came up on google but I'm still confused. https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/07/24/how-no-mans-sky-multiplayer-works-in-todays-massive-next-update/

Mainly I don't understand how your profile/character works. If I'm reading it right you can use any save and play with any friend's save as long as they're at the same difficulty? Does your character just carry over to your friend's world then and pop back into your world next time you play that? I've never played this game before so sorry if this is obvious to someone who has.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, started on a toxic hell world and I can’t find any oxygen to build a refinery (?). Where should I be looking?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, started on a toxic hell world and I can’t find any oxygen to build a refinery (?). Where should I be looking?

The red plants are oxygen now

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The_Doctor posted:

Have you built a scanner? Scan the planet with L3 and look for O2 icons.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If it's a new feature but nobody can find it, is it really a feature?

:allears:

Steam never processed my refund on this, going to go play it for 2 hours and come back with an honest take devoid of delusion

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Did...did GOG get Next? My GOG Galaxy client insists that I'm up to date with version 1.38, but I thought Next was version 1.5...

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

This really does feel like a different game. Starting from scratch and so many things changed in a “huh, that makes WAY more sense” kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Spiritus Nox posted:

Did...did GOG get Next? My GOG Galaxy client insists that I'm up to date with version 1.38, but I thought Next was version 1.5...

Gog did not get next...