Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:woop:

OKAY I'M READY FOR THE UPDATE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got sent back to the local space station after the update. Oh boy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

precision posted:

The PS Store just started updating - it now refers to the game as "No Man's Sky NEXT" (and it's on sale).

Should be live in the next hour or so, then.

Well poo poo it’s on sale for $26 and I’ve only found it used around here for $20 so might as well be a proper idiot and buy it digitally this time.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

That's how you social media :shobon:

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

xilni posted:

How long does it take to do that if you just beeline to center?

About 300 jumps in a fully upgraded freighter. I was primarily going for the achievement, so I stockpiled warp fuel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

StrixNebulosa posted:

:woop:

OKAY I'M READY FOR THE UPDATE

6 MINUTES

Photo missions are indeed loving cool as heck

I just wanna customize my space man

edit: man I'm glad our internet speed got raised a few months ago lmao

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I still don't see how max players in multiplayer?

I know the group of 4, but is it just you 4 and ai or are you able to run into other groups?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My creative mode game with 20 hours crashed going into the discoveries menu.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao I started a new game and even on Normal it gave me a hellscape planet where I died in 5 minutes

let's try that again

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Harminoff posted:

I still don't see how max players in multiplayer?

I know the group of 4, but is it just you 4 and ai or are you able to run into other groups?

I am pretty sure everyone is in the same universe so you just need to find others. I bet the big clan places near the center will be hell.

Those patch notes are great. I hope it is all as good as it sounds.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Those patch notes look... kinda fantastic, as someone who never bought NMS but followed the drama pretty heavily during launch.

Budget isn't gonna allow me to buy full-price, but if they do the smart thing and put it up on Steam for a midweek madness thing or something, I will probably bite the bullet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trastion posted:

I am pretty sure everyone is in the same universe so you just need to find others. I bet the big clan places near the center will be hell.

It's not an MMO, you aren't going to get hubs with dozens of players hanging around. The official player limit is 4 per squad, and the old ~mysterious orb~ serendipitous MP allowed up to 16 per instance and is apparently still in the game. They've done a terrible job of explaining how those two limits will interact in the Next system but I'm sure reddit is frantically experimenting right now and will have results soon.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Anyone looking for it for cheap on PC, GMG has it on sale for 58% off.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mokinokaro posted:

Welp, that's my price. I'm going to hold off and see what the reaction to Next is though before I buy, but I'm very tempted.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I haven't played since before the go-kart update, but before that I enjoyed a couple dozen hours chill-exploring and base-building.

Is there anything crucial I should know before diving back in (with a new game)?

IIRC, there was a time when you could screw yourself out of content by not following the right markers before they disappeared off of your history. Has that kind of stuff been fixed?

Am I going to have to make any critical-but-innocuous-seeming choices early on that will affect the rest of my game?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 24, 2018

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The calm planet I'm on has a ring and fireflies.

My freighter had some interesting changes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's the pop-in? Have they improved on that stuff at all? That was the one jarring thing that actually bothered me about the graphics, it was always drawing in terrain right in front of you.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
This update had me at "third-person camera". But the rest of these patch notes, along with the last updates I missed when I ditched it in its initial form, mean this just 'might' be a complete game. I played lots of Elite Dangerous. More "realism and gameplay loops" aren't all it's cracked up to be and I'll gladly take Star Wars over Star Trek/2001: ASO here. This looks entertaining as gently caress.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's still a bit of pop in, but less noticable.

It looks like there's actually indicators for proper landing pads now.

E:
Weather Update: Incoming Storm

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 24, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

explosivo posted:

How's the pop-in? Have they improved on that stuff at all? That was the one jarring thing that actually bothered me about the graphics, it was always drawing in terrain right in front of you.

The pop in is VASTLY improved, like almost nonexistant now

goddamn this poo poo is good now :stare:

about to land on planet 2. crafting and mining and poo poo is fun.

if you find a purple plant called "Detrium" or something it gives you brief super/infinite jetpack

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is the melee/jetpack trick still the best way to get around without a vehicle?

vvvvvv bigger mountains and oceans are listed as improvements in the patch notes soooo

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 24, 2018

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

One thing I really don't like about NMS is the lack of geography on planets. I didn't find any massive oceans, huge mountain ranges, etc. Are planets still same-y in this regard?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Do the storms look better?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

They even made a unique 3d person animation for the melee/jetpack so it seems they built around it.

I have seen some large mountains this last hour and fairly deep oceans. No Kilimanjaro's or Atlantic Oceans so far, but definitely a noticeable improvement to the terrain generation.

Storms look really nice now. Obscured view and all, lots of stuff getting in your face.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah storms are rad as hell now

plants and rocks and everything can be WAY bigger now

oh my godddddd

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

Yeah storms are rad as hell now

plants and rocks and everything can be WAY bigger now

oh my godddddd

gently caress I keep verifying my files to force the update that hasn't been pushed yet gently caress

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

Added danger icons to tentacle plants

GOTY

quote:

Nanites no longer take up inventory slots

(GOTY)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

May have to jump from PS4 to PC if I’m getting back on this and they’re the same price. Thanks for the heads up

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
And if you are in a region where the exchange rate isn't that good, Steam has it for 50% off.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
The performance seems to be a bit worse than before on the ps4 pro.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Steam discussion is right now full of crazy people going crazy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

£20 is a bit more than I wanted to pay but I'll give it a shot, if it runs like poo poo I'll refund it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Sekenr posted:

Steam discussion is right now full of crazy people going crazy

Link it you son of a bitch!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Here we gooooooooooooooooo

e: https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1762481957305385506/

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Jesus gently caress imagine being that petty.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

Link it you son of a bitch!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ok I was going to wait for a sale and 25$ on gmg is it. I guess I'll try this out when I get home.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
$25 is about as low as the game ever gets throughout all the sales digitally. The only lower price is finding some PS4 physical copies used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

lol

Did I miss somewhere where they stated when the PC release was going to go live, or are they blowing smoke up their own asses?