Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Another advantage of the living ship is that it doesn't get damaged by black hole travel. You can just keep going and going and cover huge distances if you have upgraded the warp distance enough to go from black hole destination straight to another black hole. It sucks that it doesn't have upgradable cargo space but that's not really an issue nowadays compared to the No Mans Sky of old, since stack sizes are huge and you can teleport everything to your freighter anyway.

For unlocking glyphs, just keep warping and landing on each new station until you find a traveller, I found them about every 1 in 4 warps. Don't get all of them at once though, that would be a bit tedious. I generally paused and explored a bit and played normally in whichever systems I found travellers in.

I had to do this despite having done all the quests. It was so long ago, I barely remember the quests, I guess it was broken by a bug or an update or something, and when I came to do the living ship quest recently I had zero glyphs unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

A couple activated indium farms and soon you will have more than enough credits for whatever you want, even with the recent nerfs to resource extraction.

I had extensive liquid explosive farms set up before I got into the activated indium farming trade. Activated indium is so much easier, making about 200 million a day with two farms. Couple of teleports and sell the stuff and I'm done. Previously I was spending quite a lot of time running around through domes harvesting plants and messing around in my inventory crafting stuff, for about the same amount of money.

I could continue doing both but really the indium money is enough now that I have an S class freighter.

Libluini posted:

On nanites, if you're done upgrading all your ships and still don't have enough nanites, I suggest building a Platinum-farm and refine that poo poo into as many nanites as you desire.

Or if you're a crazy person, like me, make separate gold and silver farms, then refine the gold and silver into platinum, then into nanites. :v:

i did this because i have 3 multi tools i want to upgrade the class on, but it takes so long to refine the gold and silver into platinum it's much faster to buy and scrap ships, and/or grinding pugneum to buy the illegal upgrades from the station traders to sell for nanites.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Libluini posted:

You can just leave your refiners running and do something else, though. If you buy and scrap ships, you're nailed to the ground doing the same thing over and over again.

I've had things disappear from refiners too many times to ever leave the room while refining. Even then I'm saving regularly. Plus a stack of platinum doesn't get you many nanites at all.

Nullsmack posted:

You don't have to grind the pugneum, just go here: http://nmsportals.github.io/#11D6FCFFEFF5
The space station there has pugneum for sale and a few different ships that land usually have ~4000 each.
The scrap dealer has enough of the x-class mods that you can get 7 per reload.

Yeah I've noticed some systems and NPC ships have it for sale, I always buy it up whenever I can.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Vasler posted:

I'm just getting into base building and am working on grinding up ingredients on an old save where I somehow had around 10k nanites and around 150 million credits. Not sure what I did to earn it.

I have an s class fighter and a garbage scow c class freighter.

What things do I actually need to set up an indium farm? I want to make mad stacks.

Also, what does scrapping a ship actually get you and how does it turn into inventory slots? This game changed quite a bit since I played it in 2018.

You will need the mineral extractor, the supply depot, and the electromagnetic generator (you could use solar power but much easier to use power hotspots). And you will need the survey device to find the power and activated indium hotspots.

Activated indium is only found on planets in blue star systems, so you will need to be able to access these. Find an A or S class activated indium hotspot that's wihin 1000u of a power hotspot, slap down about a dozen mineral extractors on the activated indium hotspot, enough electromagnetic generators to power them on the power hotspot, and enough supply depots that it takes a day or so to fill up. Link the extractors to your power network with power cables and to the storage bins with pipes. I like to put one storage bin right in front of the base teleporter so you can collect the indium and leave immediately.

Collect the indium dailly and you will soon have more cash than you know what to do with. Build more or less storage/extractors depending on your preferences.

Edit- I should add that the amount you get per extractor has been nerfed recently, you get less for each subsequent extractor you add to the same hotspot, so after a while it's worthwhile to make a second farm rather than adding more and more extractors to the first one. Or if you are lucky you might find two hotspots next to each other so they can be the same farm.

Scrapping ships gives you junk scrap items that you can sell to get about 3/4 of what you paid for the ship back. Also 2-3 ship upgrade modules of the same class as the ship which you can sell for nanites, and often (but not always) you get a ship storage upgrade thing too. It's the second fastest way to earn nanites, after buying the illegal upgrades from the trader for pugneum and then reselling them to the station upgrade merchants for nanites.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 5, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I never bother looking for a good price, I just sell my activated indium wherever, just not in the same place twice. When you are making a hundred million a day, the price difference from selling for plus or minus a few percent isn’t very meaningful.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The centre of galaxies are the only place you will find lots of discovered systems. If you are trying to find a 3 star economy system one jump from the centre it's hard to find one that isn't already discovered.

But yeah apart from that it's very rare.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Talking of QOL improvements, I've been refining a lot recently, and it's so annoying that when you want to add more of something, you have to scroll past all the other things in your inventory. If I choose add more on some carbon I'm refining, just show me what carbon I have!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

EightFlyingCars posted:

Has anybody played this in PSVR? I'm thinking about getting it but I've heard the performance and visuals are pretty rough.

It's great. There are some issues, things at a distance are blurry, and the ps move controls are janky, and yeah textures etc look worse than in 2D, and base building there is a much stricter build limit for each area which is a pain.

But the sense of scale and speed and, uh, 3D-ness you get in VR is incredible, flying your ship round at high speed from planet to space and back doing barrel rolls is amazing. Just wandering around on a planet is more immersive and absorbing. Exploring wrecked freighters in VR is almost sort of scary, until you remember none of the enemies are any kind of threat.

I still mostly play in 2D just because playing in VR you can't do anything else at the same time, but if you have VR it's definitely worth trying. For PSVR, if you want a game that's a huge long game, your choices are pretty much this or Skyrim (I'd recommend Skyrim VR too).

As far as performance goes, I have a launch PS4 and it's definitely more than playable, never noticed any frame rate problems, it just drops the detail when too much is happening. If you have a pro, probably worth mentioning that PSVR mode hasn't had a PS4 pro performance patch. I really hope there will be a PS5 PSVR patch to really take advantage of all that power for VR.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh well using the trader to exchange pugneum for modules for nanites was nice while it lasted.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So anyone tried this on PS5 PSVR yet? Any improvements?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Libluini posted:

You can also look portal addresses up in this catalog: Portal Repository

The addresses are a wild mix of all three platforms, so you'll probably need to scroll a bit to find a fitting one. However, I'm not sure if portal addresses from other platforms work or not. I guess if you want to, you can try some of the others and see what happens!

They do work, it doesn't matter what platform someone's portal address is from. All platforms share the same universe.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

On the subject of the radar, I did a shitload of black hole jumping last night, because I'm an idiot who wants to get to the next galaxy the old fashioned way rather than just using a portal.

Why the hell do black holes not show up on your radar? So much time spent spinning around trying to find the things.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Libluini posted:

If you finish one of the main quests, all black holes will show up on your star map.

Alternatively, one of the anomaly-dudes will give you fresh coordinates every time you ask.

No I have that, I mean on your radar, not the galaxy map. It’s frustrating when you lose track of where you are in relation to the black hole in a system.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Holy poo poo I had zero problems with how this game ran on my base PS4, but playing on PS5 is crazy. It loads so fast and is so smooth!

Powershift posted:

They really should have moved on to a sequel, or their next thing like, 3 updates ago.

Most of Hello Games have been working on whatever their next thing is for a while now, it's only a handful of them on NMS now.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

There are a few different galaxy types, each with higher odds of certain types of planets, but that and the colour of the galaxy centre are the only differences between galaxies.

I'm in an 'empty' galaxy right now, and it's not really that different from the 'normal' type you start out in, just slightly more barren planets.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Does anyone just create bases on cool planets they never go back to, or am I the only one? I have two bases in Euclid, two in Eissentam, and two in Hilbert, but really only just to have the bases in differing parts of those galaxies. Kinda seems pointless, but at least they'd be interacting if I want to just fart around the planet.

Also have all s class ships and freighter, kinda seems I've gotten to the "end" outside of getting the armor.

Oh yeah constantly. The only bases I actually revisit are my activated idium mines, and only then when I'm low on cash.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I'm only visiting my indium mines currently because I spent a ton of money upgrading a nice exotic I found, that's the only thing I have left to spend money on.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

How are you going about upgrading? Just buying s class ships and scrapping them?

This was just for slots, my cash was near the 4.3 billion cap and I was feeling lazy and rich so I just bought them. Cost me most of my money to upgrade one ship to max, so I'm back to visiting the indium mines for a little while. For the upgrade modules I'm just buying them gradually from stations.

But yeah buying and scrapping ships would be the more cost effective way to get storage slot upgrades and also the fastest way to convert cash to nanites to buy upgrades. Don't wait for S-class ships, just buy and scrap every ship that flies in for a while and soon you will have tons of modules to sell for nanites, storage upgrade slots, and scrap you can sell to get 2/3 of your money back.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You can use short range teleporters instead of the ladders.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

New update makes this run a shitload better on PSVR on PS5, but there still isn't a way to transfer your save from PS5 to PS4. Damnit Sean, I want to continue my PS5 save in VR, I don't want to go back to early December before my PS5 arrived.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tetrabor posted:

I also think if they cut down on the amount of planets with fauna/flora in any given system, it'd be a lot more interesting per jump. Our system only has one life-habitat planet (that we know of) while NMS makes it so 99% of planets are inhabited in some form.

This was one of the things changed since launch due to player complaints, planets with life on them are much more common. Used to be quite a lot more barren planets.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the new planet types are all new planets, to avoid messing with people's bases (in theory anyway, pretty sure at least one of my bases changed planet type).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah every planet has the blue crystals you need to make launch fuel, you will never be stranded. Or you can just buy it, or use uranium. And you can get a solar powered thing so your launch thrusters recharge in daylight, since getting that I very very rarely need to refuel for launch at all.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You can collaborate on a base, but it will belong to the person who placed the base computer. Some dude popped into one of my base systems (the only time I've randomly encountered another player I think) and and made me some planters once, which was cool as I hadn't unlocked them yet.

I think you can change if other people can build on your base in the settings somewhere.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I started a new game on survival to play on PSVR, can confirm it's harsh as hell.

On my main save everything is fully upgraded, so it's a bit weird going from that to actually dying to falls and sentinels and weather hazards. Before starting the survival save I don't think i've died to anything except my own grenades for hundreds of hours.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Splicer posted:

Yeah I was expecting the usual "easy mode for babies"/"real game"/"bullshit permadeath" arrangement, not "normal mode"/"gently caress you"/"lol triple gently caress you"

To be fair NMS does have easy mode for babies as well

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You can increase a creatures size by tampering with their egg, so now I have to find a cool dinosaur and see how ludicrously huge I can make its descendants.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can you make flying and aquatic creatures your pets?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone know what the maximum height of a creature is? My dimetrodon is 4.1m, wonder how much bigger his child will be after I maxed out growth on his egg.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Diephoon posted:

Is Indium farming still a good way to passively make credits or has something better come up in 2020? I took a year or more off from the game and have started over again on PC.

They nerfed it a bit, now you get diminishing returns the more extractors you put down on one hotspot. But it's still easy to earn absurd amounts of money daily, especially if you have a two hotspot farm, or multiple farms.

I started a new survival game recently, and was able to unlock the extractors pretty quickly.

Edit- oh didn't see the previous post

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I have an enormous gentle diplo for riding around on, height maxed out and waiting to hatch.

Now I need to make a tiny hyper aggressive cat for combat.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Is taming/breeding expensive?

No. Taming just costs a creature pellet, and gene meddling can be done with pretty much every substance in the game. Whatever you have lying around in your inventory will probably be fine. Maxing out my diplos height (so increasing it's height like 20 times until it wouldn't let me anymore) cost me a bunch of chromatic metal, nothing rare is required.

The only pricey bit is unlocking the last couple of creature slots, which cost increasing amounts of nanites, up to 10k for the last one.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Need Pics

Still got a few hours before hatching! I'm hyped to load it up in VR and see how ludicrously huge it is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My height boosted diplo hatched!

Quite a difference between parent and child. I mutated his height to the max, appearance genes slightly, and kept the colour the same.

Shame he lost his parents head beak thing. Might hatch another egg without changing appearance. That’s me at the bottom of the second pic.

Visiting a trading outpost.

And going for a swim.

Says he’s 12m but seems way taller than that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

coolusername posted:

Yeah I've been talking to them in that room, in every Korvax space station I have (so I'm up to five at least), no icon indication and no luck. I actually got dialogue from a Vy'keen trying to join my base but the terminal it needed is the next stage, so I had to decline. Which makes me worry I've somehow skipped the right order and dead ended the quest.

They often aren't in that room, try talking to every Korvax in the station.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And now I remember that I forgot to use my stacks of repair kits the last time that happened to me, and instead spent ages looking for the needed items. Oh well.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Update: THEY GROW UP.

if your baby has a big rear end head, after something like a week they will grow into their head size.

And they get fuckin big.

poo poo my diplo is going to be absurd

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ask Polo in the anomaly, he will point you to the nearest Atlas station.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Unless they changed it in a recent patch, you do need all three for your freighter though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

A planetary map would make the living ship mission a shitload less tedious.

Or maybe, as someone on reddit suggested, the update will just be adding east and west to the compass.