Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Request for the next big update: larger settlements/towns/cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember finally getting a freighter a year ago when I last played, and it seemed pretty pointless at the time. Transferring everything around took forever, and you couldn’t really do anything with it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, started on a toxic hell world and I can’t find any oxygen to build a refinery (?). Where should I be looking?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, I think a new TV. Found the oxygen plants but the icon is so teeny, it’s hard work.

Also lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, the crafting and resource getting is more difficult than it was. It feels a bit more grind-y with a hell of a lot more running around since the resource amounts you get per rock/tree/crystal seem to have been slashed in half. Plants seem a lot hardier too, with a tree taking me three full long blasts (right up to overheat) to take down, and then getting about half the carbon I’d expect back.

Changing easily grabbable plutonium to having to craft launch fuel is a massive pain in the arse now, and I wonder if they’ve done that on purpose to make you wander around more.

Gathering carbon to build the wooden walls of my shack was annoying because despite the sentinel presence on my planet being ‘relaxed’, every time I was blasting down a tree, one would suddenly appear and start scanning me and then get aggressive. This one is a paradise planet, but the planet I started on was a toxic hellworld, and I found a crop of gravity globe plants. I managed to pick two without even thinking before two small sentinels and a laser puppy rocked up out of nowhere. And this was before I’d even got my ship repaired.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sedisp posted:

The extra step of having to craft fuel pales in comparison to how much more efficient the crafted item is than plutonium.

The blue rocks are about as common as plutonium was.

But it's not? :confused: One launch fuel canister fills half the launch thruster tank, and is good for 2 launches. So, 100% full is 4 launches, like it's always been.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 25, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I haven't tried yet, but the tracking beacon used to be able to find crashed ships as an option. Does it not any more?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, that's weird, because that's my friend...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I still feel like everything is a harder grind post-update. Like, you get less units of carbon/whatever iron is now per big plant/rock, and in ground deposits like copper definitely yield less. Also the terrain manipulator is a thirsty bitch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

How do I get more base blueprints? I need to build a landing pad so I’m not scraping for bits to take off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DaveKap posted:

I feel like I'm missing something real stupid here...

How do you delete a base? I can't pick up a base computer and going into the "delete" mode doesn't let me pick it up either. However, I'm reading people trying to solve the "base building mission is on my freighter" bug that I have now hit and people are talking about deleting their bases but outside of removing base structures, I don't see an actual way to remove a base computer. This also led to my main base now having 2 computers in front of it and one of them doesn't even work.

If it's like the old system, you build a new computer where you want your new base to be, and then I think you transfer it over?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stevefin posted:

So I found my first new ruin with the ancient keys, while I was hunting them under the ground I found structures underground and decided to try and excavate the entire ruin

After using up all my ferrite this is how far I got, its pretty drat big :negative:

Hey, I got one of those last night, and did the same thing. Picked up 4 ancient keys. Now what do I with them?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phy posted:

I found a bunch of Vortex cubes in a cave on my second planet, but it's a toxic dickscape where I can't stay outside for more than six minutes, and the cave has poison puffballs that chew through my hazard and into my health. Is it worth it hunting around for more cubes?

You can shoot the puffballs, you know? Just get a distance from them so they don't affect you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Azhais posted:

I just had to alt-f4 in space after sentinel ships attacked me multiple hours from every planet

I flew for 20 minutes at full impulse to get to the space station last night with a sentinel ship chasing me the entire time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've just noticed that since the 1.5.1 update I've not seen a single Sentinel on my passive home base planet. Anyone else?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have seen this good boye wandering around outside an abandoned building

And my Korvax scientist appears to be uh.. ill.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So it seems like the only way I can access new blueprints on the analyser is by buying older ones, is this right? I unlock this green light decoration, and it frees up a slot so now I can add a metal t-shaped corridor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

All my korxax currently look like this. :ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can sometimes hover in my ship, and sometimes not. I wish I knew why.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like my home base planet doesn’t regenerate resources like it used to before Next. My old game, things would regenerate around my base after a few hours, but I’m having to go further and further afield for basics.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Am I correct in seeing that I have to build a large circular room to advance the base quests, then a terminal inside that room, but there's no way to get in to that room? :psyduck:

You can build the terminal in a wooden shack.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s another trade terminal in the Single Quest NPC room on the top left too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I swapped over to a crashed ship that some super improved take-off thrusters. One load of fuel now lasts 10 takeoffs instead of just 4. The downside is that there are SO MANY slots to repair.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Waffle House posted:

gently caress yes

I'm seeing a lot of A-Wing here and liking it. Also the slot count :stonk: Where'd you find it?

An A-Wing with TIE-fighter wings/panels. Isn't that from Clone Wars?

Also:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 1, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cactus posted:

I decided to have a nose at the Galactic Atlas website that Hellogames put up when they launched Next. I wanted to see if I could find out where I was.

See, I wonder if everything's been renamed since Next. When I last played a year ago, I was naming solar systems as I'd warp to them, so I could easily tell if I'd been there or not (the cataloguing system used to be much more finicky and obtuse). If not, there's still a bunch of systems out there called things like 'Delta 02 Sisko' and 'Phi 07 Lister'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I came across a base computer in the middle of an empty round area on my base planet. It didn't seem like anyone had built it, it had been placed there by the game. Anyone else found something like this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Is there a way to get to these kinds of things or is it just flavor? You can't get behind the desk to access it

The one you can buy from the vendor is always insanely hard to find the one spot you can select.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've got a permanent tag for Ancient Ruins that are fairly near my new base. Hopefully it'll clear when I warp to another system.

How do I transfer everything to my new base from my old one? Is it just a matter of going to my old base and hitting delete?

Also, Redditor's exotic thicc ship:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

And then where do I go to find a scientist. a Korvax space station? Will the guy I talk to be called "Scientist Entity something"? Cause I've run around to try and find one and there's a bunch of "Physicists" or "Chemists" but those don't count I guess?

He’ll be quest-tagged as the dude you want, you don’t need to search.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They've put out 3 updates since NEXT came out, so they're doing all right in my book.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I also have the unrepairable frigate bug. :smith:

Also I’ve gone to 4 different systems, and every time I go back to base, I’ve got a tag for some ancient ruins I’ve already visited, and it just won’t go away, no matter where in the system I go. And the navicomp has a tendency to lock onto it above all else when I pulse.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Y’all should be aware that the creatures you’re missing can sometimes literally be microbes. And they will not scan. I’ve seen them floating around, and they’re directly in front of me, but nope, scanner ignores them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A few pics! Here’s my tiny base so far, on a very England-like planet. Grey cloudy skies, lush green rolling hills and landscape.

Here’s one of the native lifeforms, different from the rest who seem to be all jumping pineapples.

So I went out exploring to another system to find my Vy’Keen weaponsmith, and I found this frozen planet that had constant blizzards. I stumbled into this MASSIVE cave system right by where I landed, and it’s got to be the largest ‘indoor’ space in the game I’ve ever seen. You can just make me out in the bottom left. If I’d fallen off that cliff I’m on, I don’t know that I’d have gotten back up again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oasx posted:

The galaxy map is really annoying to use.

What counts as an extreme planet in regards to one of the Apollo missions?

Very much so. It’s completely counter-intuitive and doesn’t really offer any guidance about how to move it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Oh hey apparently the landing on your frigates gives you refined minerals, which I sure didn't know.

The amount of stuff going on that the game doesn't tell you about is shocking.

Also, I see the new update hasn't fixed the Broken Frigate bug yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So that auto-miner runs slowly huh? But it seems to get more out of a deposit than I get with the terrain manip beam.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I don't think it actually removes anything from the deposit. By this time I've gotten thousands of copper from the first one I ever placed next to my base. Also, you can put more than one per deposit.

Yeah, I'm starting to realise that. Add it to the pile of 'Things the game should tell you but doesn't."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh fun, my game keeps freezing when I use the manual save point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

froody guy posted:

Don't know if it's been posted already but 1.55 looks like one helluva fixes release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RogCQwecmck

Is there anywhere to read this? I don't want it slowly read to me in boring monotone to monetise their channel.