Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I haven't played since last October. I can't wait to get back into this weird and beautiful universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

precision posted:

The clouds look almost too good if that makes sense.

clouds are absolutely the dopest thing shown from Next so far, which is funny because Sean’s magical cloud tech was one of the first things promised after launch and could reasonably called vaporware (heh) after it failed to appear in a year of subsequent updates. (in fact, clouds were completely broken on PS4 when Atlas Rises launched, and if memory serves it wasn’t until the last patch pre-hibernation that they finally got fixed)

the subreddit has already gone through a whole loop of (1) being amazed at the clouds (2) seeing a brief leaked clip and panicking that the clouds in the trailer were faked (3) rationalizing that the leaked copy is running on an OG xbox one without the launch day patch, and also the clouds might be different on this planet (4) begging for and receiving a clip of only the clouds, proving they’re real as hell and not bullshit. so here is a minute of some nice clouds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2gTYZBXnvA

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Overall impressions of this patch? I've read through the last couple pages and saw a lot of mentions of bugs, but how does this compare to expectations from the initial launch? Trying to decide if I want to pick it up.

Frankly it's about as buggy and clunky as it was at the original launch, but this time we have precedent that they'll iron things out in the coming months.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

froody guy posted:

Ah, another thing: how come I'm almost always disconnected by the universal network (whatever it's called) and can't update my discoveries and get them shiny nanites? It only happened once yesterday that I found it green.

https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/763127316927184897?s=21

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I don't believe it has to be all at once, but it resets upon death. https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Extreme_survival_milestones
this has changed a bunch of times, and I wouldn't be surprised if NEXT broke (fixed???) it again

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Answered this myself tonight, in case anyone's curious. They appear to give daily recurring quests.
Overseer - Take a photo of X environment. Gives you a relic to sell (first one I got was for 900k)
Scientist - Wants planet discovery data. You get nanites for it. (had 1.7k built up :eyepop:)
Weapons - Offer a new Multi-tool. My first offer was an S-rank 24 slot (but mainly full of broken poo poo) rifle which would be cool to aim for earlier on.
Exocraft - Points you to a nearby facility for a timed run. You get credits out of it.
Farmer - Asks you for more of X plant. You get relics out of it as well it seems.

Not sure when they reset but I think it's at the end of the day.

this is all brand new. nice

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

18 Character Limit posted:

I've observed an effect where a floating island doesn't count as protection if it's too high over you, but does if it's closer to the ground. Is there any part of that structure that counts as inside if you take a layer or two of boxes off?

Otherwise I'm a fan of the industrial warehouse look and want your not-white cuboid interior secrets.

Yeah, I'd say try shaving off a layer, because it might be treating the ceiling like the very high roof of a cave entrance where storm effects would still be "blowing in" and visible/active

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

:pwn:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The current "Matchmaking" / "Co-op" multiplayer is a maximum of 4 players.

The current "ambient multiplayer" mode, where players can bump into each other at random in the universe as floating orbs, is limited to 16 players per instance of that star system. The player orbs can only interact with each other by building a Monument at the spot they meet, which marks the date and displays for future players. Monuments are limited to one per system.

HG put out a survey a few months back asking people to rank their most asked-for features, and mentioned among VR support and greater visual variety was "replacing orbs with character models." I expect this update will have these two modes converge (probably with the same 16-player server / 4-player party limits).

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

toiletbrush posted:

Confirmed - riding animals is how you move around in VR, by throwing food for the animal to eat on the ground where you want to go. You need a portable refiner to make food and you can only carry 5 per inventory slot, to encourage exploration.
Has an embargo dropped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Drone posted:

Any idea what kind of timing Hello uses for their patches? It'd probably have to be a simultaneous release across regions so what are we looking at, evening tomorrow UTC?

iirc, the Next update was 9 AM EST on Steam and 12 PM EST on PS4