Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

chaosapiant posted:

Honestly with Next I think we’re getting a game that is way more than what was ever promised at launch. I’m pretty stoked!

:allears:

Forgive my undying skepticism / appreciation of goon delusions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

If it's a new feature but nobody can find it, is it really a feature?

Steam never processed my refund on this, going to go play it for 2 hours and come back with an honest take devoid of delusion

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If it's a new feature but nobody can find it, is it really a feature?

Steam never processed my refund on this, going to go play it for 2 hours and come back with an honest take devoid of delusion

The first thing you experience in this "game" is still 5 minutes of "loading shaders" on a single thread at 10% GPU activity. After adjusting the graphical settings up from a 30fps max framerate and immediately crashing, still not seeing more than 56fps or so on an 1800X @ 4.1, 32GB of DDR4, and a Vega 64 at max settings. Frame times approach many hundreds of milliseconds if you look at the game funny.

Everything still looks like dogshit late 90's cable. I don't know how to describe the way the sky looked other than "endless JPEG compression artifacts". Extremely unimpressive and underwhelming. The "clouds" are like baby's first webgl voxel shader toy. Still unlikely to see more than 5 or 6 plants at the same time. I noticed they figured out how to tack lights onto NPCs as some creatures seem to glow now

It still lacks extremely basic quality of life functions such as: automatically crafting the required parts from your inventory if you have the materials needed to do so. The UI is a mess and accomplishing anything is a mess of shortcut keys and left/right hold click down here but only single click there. Whatever base building poo poo they added only seems to compound on the brokenness of this.

Ground combat does not seem to have changed much at all. Sentinels and creatures still poof into and out of thin air

I also forgot just how terrible this game is without a modded, unlimited jetpack and sprint. There's still no auto run/quick travel function, which is amusing when even games like PUBG and Fork Knife include auto run.

I continue to be impressed with how far goons can hide up their own rear end. Couldn't make it more than 60 minutes without getting bored.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Sekenr posted:

If it makes you feel any better I also run on ultra with 1080 and sky/clouds look as hideous as on your screens. Unless there really is some tweak I don't know about?

This is the "game looks like 90s comcast cable" poo poo I was talking about. On a Vega 64 just so you know it's not a vendor specific issue