Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Does the game still feature that dumb inventory tetris thing where you have to do wacky crap so your upgrades stack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

So I don't mind the crafting progression or whatever, but purely credit grinds are stupid. Am I missing out on anything (or breaking something) but cheatengining up credits?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Toast King posted:

It's from an old post of mine but we came across some good planets when the two of us were playing together in the past, the first one being my favourite.

I keep hoping to run into a truly awesome-looking planet, but so far the game has just been spitting out barren hellworlds in my new game. I haven't played since I dabbled a little when base building was first introduced and only really put double-digit hours in on release. The planets on release were some crazy stuff but at least there was some variety.

Everything is very confusing now, but from the thread it seems like the game is pretty much No Man's Sky 2: The Quest for More Money. :capitalism:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I remembered that I played for a few hours back when (I may be misremembering) the trick to getting upgrades was joining random peoples' games repeatedly to check their station vendors for S-rank stuff. My omnitool has all the S-rank scanner upgrades and I have one of the S-rank backpack upgrades. Unfortunately that means I don't have the blueprint and this makes upgrading my tool a very bad idea.

Meiteron posted:

But hopefully they'll take the response to freighters and use it as an excuse to add content with a bit of actual depth to it in later updates. Exploring facilities on planets, maybe? How about massive alien structures? Something halfway challenging that takes 10-30 minutes to complete with a tangible reward at the end would do wonders for the game long term.

I'd love More Things(c) because more stuff is good, but wouldn't this just run into the same problem? You do a bunch of facilities/structures/whatever to get the new rewards they added and now you're back to not having any reason to do them. The game is never going to end and roll credits so it'll always end with you quitting and waiting for new content.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I like how my wooden floors are not valid for research consoles so I have a base with nothing inside but a save point and a teleporter. All the schmucks manning my consoles are sitting outside on a hellworld in constant firestorms. :supaburn:

Should I be pushing through the warp drive upgrades asap for better ranking blueprints? Right now every station vendor tends to have a single S-class one at any given time. I've been unlocking stuff along the various breadcrumb trails but the upgrade modules have remained the same whenever I hit a new station.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Some Goon posted:

On the 'no endgame' chat, NMS falls apart to me once there's no reason to land on any planets. It's fun up to that point and I deffo got my money's worth out of it, but it's still kinda disappointing that unless you're really into base building I just kinda peters out.

Mechanically, at least, I agree with you. I can see the end and why it's got the mile-wide-inch-deep thing going, but I dumped 40 hours in at launch because I picked it up based on chill pre-release streams instead of what I later found out was massive hype. The slow mining and building and manually processing everything is what keeps me enjoying it. Building the solar+battery array at my base was satisfying as hell. This is my Eurotruck-style relaxation game until Shipbreakers gets patched into something a bit more enjoyable. In the current incarnation it reminds me a lot of why I hate Minecraft but dumped a disturbing number of hours into Terraria.

Except for right now, when I'm angry because I can't find a dude to man my weapons terminal.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 26, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Yuck. Been enjoying myself and just ran into the blueprint grind. It reminds me of the ship grind at release. I've got 50 nav datas saved up but I'm guessing it scales a lot more than stick-one-in-a-signal-booster way.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

First real try I found an S activated indium deposit... with no power nearby. On a radiation hellworld. I'm determined to make this work but they're not making it easy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Time to build a small forest of solar panels with batteries attached.

I'm trying not to think about the part where in order to have the indium farm I'm first going to need to set up several rusted metal farms just to get enough plates to build it all. Add a gold farm to get enough solar panels. I literally haven't farmed enough to start farming. :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Glazius posted:

You can just buy iron plating. It's pretty cheap, and there's like 100 on offer in tier-3 economy systems and the market refills over time.

That's like... ten storage bins. Gotta pump those numbers higher. I was so focused on the power and finding a source I didn't even consider that my "modest" farm of 40-ish extractors (leading to 80 arrays and 40 batteries without EM power) isn't even the big sink. They need a warehouse of bins to fill in order to be worth anything. My extremely rough estimate, going by wiki numbers, is 500+ bins for 24 hours. I'd probably have to wall the whole operation in to keep it from tanking my fps to negative numbers.

This is getting stupid and I love it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Can storage bins only handle one item? Like can I hook up Copper extractors to Oxygen extractors to Salt extractors and then wire them up to the same storage bins? Asking for a psychotic friend.

Libluini posted:

Hah! I suddenly feel very relieved that it's physically impossible for me to chain 40+ extractors on a planetary base (thanks to my PS4 choking above a certain base size, I'll have to be a bit careful when planning out a base, huge and thin towers work, for example, but spread-out giant farms, not so much)

It is 100% overkill and caps your money so fast there's no real point. This is entirely why I'm doing it - because it's silly. I also discovered accidentally that there's a class B source right next to my base, so I've completely ignored the real farm in favor of setting up the farm I need to set up the farm. Learning about long distance wiring has been interesting.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Well that was a journey. Killed twice by radiation and once by the hosed indigenous hyper-aggressive wildlife combined with radiation. Spent forever on a lost cause, then found a B-class power spot ~1500 from base. This required scrapping the base and through a long series of waypoints and checking I now have all the power I'll ever need and it's running all the way through to the farm. Now I just need to find a spot to plunk down the massive storage array and generally just make more of everything.

This was actually maybe an hour's work stretched to waaaay too many hours by a combination of no landing zones, constant storms, and the beacon/base waypoints bugging the hell out the entire time.

AirRaid posted:

1) Fit a Positron Ejector to your ship. A couple of S-Class upgrade modules will make it friendlier to use (mostly overheat capacity here)
2) Find a dead planet. One of those ones with no atmosphere and just lots of lovely rocks on the ground
3) Fly about and fire at the ground for like, a couple of minutes
4) Holy poo poo why have I run out of space in my starship what the gently caress why do I have 100,000 units of ferrite dust

I shall store this for future use. Luckily I had a few mil as a starter and bought a few hundred plates. Is it possible to mass craft those? Doing them one at a time when you need thousands sounds painful.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Libluini posted:

:stare: I went on this from the absolute opposite direction. I calculated that 2-3 extractors (sometimes just the one, if it's S-class or I don't need that material as often) and a bunch of silos is enough, since the things are running overnight and I can just do some collection runs once a week or something and still get billions of credits.

I think either my calculations are off or I'm screwing up the estimates of activated indium pricing based on screenshots of other peoples' bases. I literally have no idea what it sells for because people usually just post their farm as selling for X per day. The four extractors I could plop down to prove it was all working last night are producing just over 2100/hour so I already need 51 storage bins to hold a day's worth. My power is like 870kP with just the five units I was able to plunk down at the time. There's at least one nearby gas so I can crank that and probably cover 2-3 farms within the base radius if I really don't need a stupid amount of extractors.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

My hellworld is covered in stormcrystals. They're pretty much the only thing you can see when the real storms start.

Started building my storage array and got it hooked up. Threw on three new extractors. Got the whole thing piped back to a storage tower inside my base so collection is just teleporting in and turning left. I'm filling up my inventory on plates and constantly teleporting back to build. If the goddamn storms and animals would chill for a second this would go a lot faster.

Regardless, here's the initial drop which I'll be harvesting this evening and finally making real money:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Why? I never get this when people say they plan to do this. Just for the hell of it?

"Just for the hell of it" pretty much describes the entire game. The progress towards getting The Really Good Thing(c) is all the fun. Once it's done it's all just boring credits and materials.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Welp, that's money mostly sorted forever.

It turns out (I found this by accident) horizontal is for chumps. Also I like this sinister camera angle caused by hitting photo mode from my ship.

Storing it required sealing off storage containers. I'm using "pods" of 140 containers, with two done and a third on the way. That'll be where I leave it. You can also stack storage containers but at ~100 of those things on-screen stuff starts going weird. By the end the little animation when a container is built was super slow and connecting pipeline took several tries to activate. This is a cutaway before they were entombed forever.

B-grade power source still rocking it. Could easily expand that vertically and it has a lot of love left to give.

Here's the current output, but after I finish off the third pod I'm balancing it with a few more extractors to hit it filling every twelve hours. Once a day is nice but that runs into inventory constraints so I'd rather crash two interstellar markets a day than bother with it.

Rough math puts this at ~850m/day if you get both pickups.

Now maybe I'll look at things like getting a freighter, a ship besides the starter, and actually filling out the rest of the non-money things in the game. This was a lot of fun. :)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

400k is 41 slots, hence the desire to not go much higher. Ideally I'll never have to dork with freighter/ship inventories.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Since I'm nearing the end of a questline with a choice, plot spoiler...

If I choose to go to the new galaxy, then once I've recovered and can warp back to my Euclid bases does that mean the portals will behave correctly depending on which galaxy you're currently in? I don't want to screw myself out of hitting up all the exotic/freighter glyphs in Euclid by making the wrong choice.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Apparently the info I had was outdated and putting bases down on portaled worlds is now a no-go. That kind of sucks because it nixes hopes of getting the cool freighters. :/

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

If it fixes the multiplayer fuckery where everyone builds a millions bases on mission end world's I'm all for it, unless I've misunderstood what you're saying.

I mean I can definitely see the annoyance on that end, but the specific use of that I was talking about was getting cool capital freighters from glyphs. You can still get cool ships and multitools (not to mention seeing weird worlds) from portals but the freighter rescue mission on warp in will never fire because you have no way of warping into the system short of it being coincidentally close to your location. It looks like you can set a waypoint but the waypoints look like they break after X jumps so it could be on the other side of the galaxy for all you know.

I really dig indirect multiplayer stuff that so it's kind of a bummer to see that part cut.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I take it grabbing a pile of cash and scrapping everything B+ that flies into a station is the best way of getting nanites? I made ~5k just messing with it for a little while.

Alamoduh posted:

the amount of people who kept their red & white starter fighter and fly it everywhere is surprisingly high.

From personal experience, since I fired up a new save for my first real go since 2014: until you can get yourself set up everything is prohibitively expensive, and crashed ships that would be a minor upgrade come with the hassle of having a lot of different components you might not have in quantities that might require farming. Once you're good for money and can afford something nice with a decent amount of slots (meaning you've probably been watching youtube) you've learned that you can get a ship you actually like once you finish the Artemis quest chain, so who cares about picking up a random one at a station when you can get the model/paintjob you want.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

This was pretty much the ship I always wanted. It now has max slots and is about half way to being maxed out, though some of the upgrade rolls are so poo poo it'll need another pass eventually.

That being said I just found this beautiful thing while searching for that image.

Are the quicksilver rewards up there permanently and just get re-locked for each time period? I noticed the community research bar had a reset and a bunch of the stuff is locked now but I'm not entirely sure how this all works. I just don't want to miss out on dumb cosmetics because they cycled out.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

I picked this up on ps4 a couple of weeks ago cause I heard its good now, I'm quiet enjoying it. Couple of questions, I've still only got the hodge podge base I started with, if I tear it all down and move somewhere else what happens to the secondary base missions? Do I have to find a bunch of guys to man my terminals again?
The only criticism I would have of the story missions is that it really doesn't push you to explore much. Apparently everything in the whole Galaxy centres on my little solar system.

Aside from possible bugs, I believe it keeps your mission progress (no idea about mid-mission targets being reassigned) and the npc assigned to the terminal. Last I checked you had to interact with the terminal for the npc to spawn in.

The overarching story missions very much push you out of your solar system. They don't really encourage you to explore, but you'll do a lot of jumping. In theory the base-building missions will get you exploring for more exotic materials but it's not like you have to trek across the galaxy to find any given resource. Exploration, as always, is more for seeing cool poo poo than any sort of technical advancement.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Any tips on funding good planets for a base? I'd like somewhere cool looking without having to bother with excess environmental stuff. Is there a logic to finding somewhere to jump to or is it completely random?

Technically nothing is random but no there's no human way to really control it. Certain galaxies have a higher percentage of Lush worlds so you can locate paradises easier but it's still all luck. I've only seen one planet explicitly listed as a Paradise and it seemed to be almost entirely underwater.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The solar systems I've been through and wanted to keep have been dotted by those little wooden shacks. It's why I carry the materials to make more shacks whenever I go out. The ten seconds it takes to junk plunk it all down is well worth the few inventory slots lost.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Helith posted:

Now to decide how many extractors on each site and how many supply depots will be needed.

Two S-rank activated indium mines is going to require some heavy building. A single site took me a stupid amount of time.

Saxophone posted:

My only problem is I'm having trouble finding a planet I want to set up shop on. I found one "paradise planet" but it was purple and gloomy and the monsters there were.... Ugh. Literally slime blobs with multiple eyes. And they made weird squishy sounds and really loud growls. So no thank you.

I still haven't found a good lush planet with great views, but tonight I found three weird anomaly planets that look amazing at night when everything lights up. Going to make an elevated glass-encased base and find enough sites to turn them into triple farms for quick resources.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Helith posted:

How much activated indium are you pulling out of yours and how long does it take a space station economy to recover from selling it all there?

I can hold just under 480k, which is based on the most I can carry with a normal loadout. This gets filled every 11:28:30, so two daily pickups if I want. Economies for this take long enough to recover that I just jump a few times until I hit something in the -5 to -7 range and dump it. Maximizing sell value by finding that one perfect system where it's at -2 isn't worth the time. If I really wanted more cash (this mine nets ~840-870m per day at those values) then I'd build more extractors to drop the fill time and dump it at the first station I jump to even if it's at -10.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I brought it up in a previous post but in case you're unaware everything stacks. When building mining/gas/power widgets you'll have a sweet spot in the center where you're at full strength. Everything you can possibly build should go straight up. I'm not sure on where it cuts out (I just stacked until the ground level build camera stopped letting me go up further) but it goes pretty drat high. It might be possible to get stupid high up by either expanding your building camera hut upwards or creating a second set of extractors to jump up on in order to grow ever higher. When you stop being able to place those then do the same for the slot next to it with 99% strength, etc etc.

Using storage bins to periodically terminate pipelines (and simultaneously extend build range) is one thing I wish I'd thought of beforehand, since running the pipe direct requires you to do it in one go. Stick a light on top and you have a cheap termination point for electrical that doubles as a visible map. Always have a battery termination for electrical near your extractor farm so you can check power usage, and definitely go pipe->single storage->pipe->extractor for termination there in case you want to rebuild your extractor farm. I also wish I'd terminated either storage "cell" with an externally visible storage bin, so that I could redirect the cell if I wanted to change it to storing something else.

I've been doing other things in the meantime but looking forward to getting back to building farms. If it doesn't wind up breaking the save file it'd be cool to have a series of double/triple farms for ~50k of each resource so I could hit those up whenever I needed stuff and never worry about hoarding.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nice start! Build that sucker to the sky!

Helith posted:

Surprisingly I didn't need to use storage silos as staging hubs when running the pipe. Each length of pipe will go about 200 units but if it's not connected to anything at the termination it will immediately add a new piece of pipe and you can then go another 200 for as far as you need. One site took 3 lengths of pipe, the other 2.

So lucky. :argh:

I've got a Gold/Sodium/Oxygen/Indium quad mine I just surveyed. It took 30 minutes running around on an aggressively sentinel world trying to triangulate the optimal base position with everything all spread out. I'll be running ~950u to the furthest point and I've got a backup power source mapped if the B I have winds up being annoying. Honestly the pipeline waypoints are specifically something for aggressive sentinel worlds or hellworlds where you die to the environment in 30 seconds. You can't stop in the middle of a pipeline build and trying to run 600u+ on my hellworld killed me multiple times when combined with the rear end in a top hat wildlife. The every-five-minutes storms on that planet also obfuscated anything more than ten feet in front of you and that's when I wish I'd built waypoints with lights on them.

Tip for not building like an idiot - if you're going to conceal stuff (like I do with mass storage for framerate reasons) then build your retaining wall first. Bins will happily clip into the wall but the reverse is not often true. So unless you tear it all down you forever have a mark of shame like this:

Judge Tesla posted:

Will completing the Atlas path throw me into a new galaxy, or is that a separate thing to -null-'s quest to go to the Galactic Core?

It will. The Artemis/Null chain unlocks portals. The Atlas path quest ends with a choice of creating a new galaxy (pick this one) or not. You can teleport back to Euclid and it affects nothing other than giving you access to a new galaxy and you can pick the modifier to choose a different galaxy (everyone picks green, I think) there.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 4, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ok, so seriously gently caress this game. I was making a series of tight 4x4 stackable storage arrays around a central point with the idea that my visible base would be elevated above that with a cool view. I hooked up the first mine and the power, then checked my storage and notice it was insanely high for what should be ~20k+extractors. After half an hour troubleshooting the storage I saved my game and said gently caress it I'll just tear up all the touching containers until I find the loose pipeline connection.

There weren't any. All pathing was clean to each of the 4x4 grids.

This confused me, and as a long shot I connected a standalone storage depot, then built two alongside it. Then I connected the first to the third, with nothing connected to the second but the visible cable running through it. It filled up and registered as part of the network. Supply pipeline, at least, doesn't seem to have to be connected. It just has to touch the hitbox of a container and it'll be part of the network.

Now I get to tear down my entire setup and rebuild with physically distant banks. Motherfucker.

Meiteron posted:

I don't believe this is strictly accurate about the end of the Atlas Path:

Holy balls, you're absolutely right on that. I did them both over the weekend in a rush and they're both so Atlas-heavy that I'd forgotten. My bad.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

I found the prettiest ship ever but it's the wrong colour :(

If you're specifically looking for a rasa/tie/viper then the only one quick searching turned up is:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

This Void Egg quest had better be worth it, it took me forever to find a Korvax casing and now I have to wait 24 hours for the next part of the quest.

Assuming you have a freighter you can park it in a <insert_race> system and the dudes flying in will each happily sell you a handful of <insert_race> items. It's only 1-5 of each per vendor but you don't need tons of them for anything.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Pro tip for building: Everything loving collides with everything. All storage/connectors must be at least one floor square away from anything they could possibly interfere with. If you didn't take the time to partition things out and create multiple points where you can disconnect power/pipelines just give up now because you'll never find the problem.

Storage rebuild, number three...

Alpine Mustache posted:

You can search through the ship database at nmsce.com.

That's awesome and thank you. I've spent some time browsing that forum for cool stuff but I didn't know it was feeding a search engine. This sucker is going in my garage as soon as I get the free nanites to upgrade it:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Figured it'd be fun to build quick resource farms, since you always need a thing when you're trying to do something but I hate having to juggle extended/primary storage and wonder which bin holds the pile of X when I need to construct a Y. If I could just grab a bunch and sell/dump what I don't need it'd save a lot of hassle. Since I've been saving up anomaly planets with resources that look nifty once in a while, but aren't where you want to live, I grabbed the first on my list that had stuff.

Easy 4x4x5 storage arrays. Just wanted a minimum 10k fill rate and 100k storage. Along with routing pipeline and hiding a few extra, these were all I needed. Also five storage bins tall was where the best view was.

Nighttime glowtrees. You can't see it but the larger ones slowly wave their tendrils around.

Oxygen, Gold, Sodium, Indium. VERY carefully wired up. Underneath the base is kind of a mess of pipelines attempting to stay away from each other. Portal and landing pad hidden behind wall to spoil main view as little as possible.

The whole thing. This didn't actually take that long to build, if you cut out all the wasted time learning about storage overlap. I originally tried for much smaller, but that's just not happening. 7.8k/13k power, 1204u between furthest nodes in base.

Things learned:
* Don't let any storage bins or supply lines anywhere near bins/lines from another source. If an invisible tiny portion of any hitbox overlaps you just blew up one of your inventories.

* Since you're building vertically anyway, put your temporary build shack super close to your supply. Then you can float the build camera up high, point straight down, and mash out a dozen perfectly straight vertical nodes on top of a high concentration. This led to building power/resource nodes in like 15 minutes.

* Having lots of termination disconnect points helps you A) troubleshoot supply/power problems and B) get past the soft distance limit on building. I'd have wasted a shitload of hours if I couldn't just delete a cable between two points or add another wooden floor to extend my build range. Sometimes you need to reload to get your build range back and then you're double screwed trying to just drag the cable.

* Build the fps-saving wall around your massive storage brick first and never remove it. The silos will happily clip into the wall a bit so you can pack four on a single tile, but the walls will not clip through the silos.

* In the future, use very horizontal remote storage instead of big vertical banks. The horizontal storage will be hidden by flora and hills. The final wiring to the user-accessible points will be much, much easier and you get to decide on the size/look of your base more instead of trying to hide the bulky storage banks.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Is there and MLG pro strat for getting more salvaged data? Derelicts, maybe? I'm staring down the barrel of wanting to build more things and hopping around planets for many hours shooting holes in the ground isn't very appetizing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I usually log on on Saturday mornings before everyone is awake, go make a harvest run through my farms, and then swing by the nexus and give it all away to players who have the starting ship, or what looks like a low-class shuttle.

So... so you're saying I need to build a fusion igniter/stasis device farm in order to throw money at new people when they don't expect it? That's so crazy it just might work.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

I don't know how I feel about it, I mean, on the one hand it feels like a living breathing universe and I got lucky someone was generous. On the other, it kind of feels like cheating because I was working hard to get money and barely got 500k, and then someone drops 15 million in my pocket and rockets me ahead potentially days of playing (as far as I know; it could be easy to make that much soon?). In conclusion, No Man's Sky is a land of contrasts.

15m isn't much, and you can farm up to the cap easily enough, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. There's class C haulers flying into stations that cost 30+ million. What someone gave you was a nice nest egg to start farming real money. Cash is mostly useful for converting into nanites via ship scrapping or purchasing ship/freighter slots so it's not really a situation where you jumped massively ahead.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nullsmack posted:

I've had a really bad run of luck with the manufactoring facilities not giving me the option of choosing a blueprint lately. Do I have to go to other planets after a while? I bought 16 location data using my navigation data and only got to choose blueprints twice.

Go to another planet if you want a scenery change, but afaik it's still random which event gets picked. I guess if you super wanted to min/max it you'd do it in a system where you had the lowest faction to grind but meh. Part of the reason I don't have all the blueprints is those long streaks of not getting them annoy me.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't give up the fun I had building my own money machine for anything, and money gets converted to nanites via ship scrapping so that's infinite, but you should still do the Artemis chain asap because portals get you cool rear end ships.

I've never turned on multiplayer, but how does that even work? Can people use/extract your resources but not remove them? Are the resources unique to each individual game? Can you see the conga line of people emptying your storage bins? NMS being multiplayer still seems weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Saxophone posted:

So I found a mining hotspot on a planet....how do I tell what it is?

The survey upgrade will ping to the left/right/center to align you with the direction it is in then show you a distance. Run that way and when you get ~6u from it the distance will change to an Analyzing... progress bar. That fills up and it'll show you what it is. As an aide for base-building that hotspot (though not its grade or what ore/gas it is) will permanently show up as an icon in the survey visor until you reload/leave the system. Once you find it plonk a save beacon down so you don't have to track it again.

quote:

Also, I couldn't warp my freighter into a system, I'm guessing it's because I was in a blue star system and and the freighter doesn't have the indium drive upgrade?

Yup.