Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Libluini posted:

Freighters can run over 300 million credits (I saw one I passed on for 270 m because it was butt ugly and my own B-class freighter was over 100 mill already)

I also bought a couple frigates in the 12-14 mil range, so that cost point can go higher, too.

Then there are multitools, which also cost money.

Of course, if you continually buy and scrap high-grade ships you'll end up with tons of inventory slots for your ships. Buying the slots directly is just faster, but not strictly necessary.

On nanites, if you're done upgrading all your ships and still don't have enough nanites, I suggest building a Platinum-farm and refine that poo poo into as many nanites as you desire.

Or if you're a crazy person, like me, make separate gold and silver farms, then refine the gold and silver into platinum, then into nanites. :v:

So buying and scrapping ships... is that a way to make money at all? Or do you basically get your money back, you just end up with the ship parts and potential inventory expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

OgNar posted:

Not Origins, I have had it happen repeatedly over my playtime.
If I hit ESC it has a connection error at the bottom about accessing online services.
Even when I am standing in the midst of 10 other people.
I think this error may have an affect on getting rewards.
The only fixes for it I have seen (to my understanding) are kinda unsafe.

Isn't it the guy next to the food eater who gives the milestone rewards? Ares maybe?

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

So if I get the storage/mining talk right from earlier.... if I have an activated iridium hotspot, I should put groups of 7 mineral extractors linked on separate storage networks?

So, if I had 14 extractors on the same spot I should link 7 and 7, and have each of those feeding their own supply depots?

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

So I’m on the Artemis path last mission where you have 16 warps until the universe resets. Should I go to the new galaxy? Will I be able to get back to my bases and space stations I’ve visited in Euclid?

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Arghy posted:

What's with those artifact exchange terminals at the planetary archives?

Go to the map terminal at the archive and get a location for a buried artifact. Dig it up and bring it back and exchange with for an artifact worth more money. I got some that sold for 1.5 million.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Elotana posted:

What are the non-mission sources for freighter tech units and freighter storage units? I've been sending my fleets out on every mission for a week now and which has gotten me lots of money, materials, and ship storage units but just one tech unit and gently caress all storage for my freighter. I'm jonesing for that inventory transmitter.

Also is there a list of freighter tech modules? The wiki only lists the hyperdrive upgrades but I gather from upthread that some derelicts will give you always-on frigate mission buffs? Any source for those other than derelicts?

Only reliable way I’ve found for freighter storage upgrades is derelicts.

For salvaged frigate modules to upgrade your freighter tech, just snipe them off of other freighters in-system. Don’t go for the free floating cargo pods as that hurts your standing. Go for the other freighters, look at the cargo pods and when you see one with a salvaged frigate module, destroy it and immediately begin boosting away in a straight line. Sentinels will show up but you will be out of range so they immediately disappear.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Arghy posted:

Wtf these are some pretty loving important and need to know things. Thankfully it appears i got a venator but i really want a bigger one now--how do i go about buying another freighter? Will i lose everything on my other one if i do?

Just like when you buys ships you can transfer between your old freighter and the new one.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Elotana posted:

Is there anything to do with the derelict freighters that spawn with no HUD icon? I know the red icon means you can loot the pods and the purple icon you can land on for the mini-mission, but sometimes one will just be looming in space with no visible interaction anywhere

For those there's a cargo pod that you can blow up and it will trigger pirates.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

TracerM17 posted:

I think that's a bug. Every now and again if I jump around and play the game for a few hours when I come back my capital freighter is the colors I chose at the panel and will change correctly if I go back to the panel and make edits. But it never sticks on next reload.

Yeah I swear my capital ship keeps changing colors when I jump around. I haven't set any custom colors.

My ship also seems to have change colors to match my suit. When I had blue highlights on my suit, I had them on my ship, and then I changed to red and then so did my ship. It was odd.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Kin posted:

I keep on hearing about these base quests. The only ones i think i've got is the black hole or chasing after the artemis guy. Is there someone else i should be speaking to for these other quests?

Did you recruit a base overseer? I think that’s part of the Artemis quest line...

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

So is there anything to do with the stacks of Grantine, Herox and Lemmium I get randomly? Most are from either frigate missions or killing random pirates.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Snack Bitch posted:

I think the easiest is to leave a save beacon anywhere you want to return too.

Yeah, or use a planetary chart to find a ruin... it may not be the one you just left, but honestly that's one thing that took me a while to realize in this game... there are so many ruins, depots, etc. Generally the exact spot doesn't matter unless you wanted to build a base there or something.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

The Mash posted:

What are the most difficult dogfights in the game with any kind of reward (or at least not a serious penalty) available in the game? I am building a maxed out fighter and want to throw it at something difficult.

I'm not entirely sure, but maybe piss the sentinels off to get a 5-star wanted level and then fly into space? I think they show up with a freighter and a bunch of fighters? Never done it myself.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Speaking of stasis devices, is there an easier way to get blueprints for them than running manufacturing facilities? It seems like I don't get the manufacturing facilities with blueprints anymore.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Arghy posted:

I still can't get quicksilver missions or see anything in the vendor and half of the anomaly NPCs just don't work. This game is still early access.

Are you playing offline? I have a friend playing offline and the QS stuff doesn’t appear to work for hi.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Mandrel posted:

been getting back into NMS after not playing for about 2 years, played an embarrassing amount yesterday and think I’m pretty much caught up content wise but still trying to work out how to use resource hotspots.

If you want to use them to power your base, do you basically have to have built your base (or base “area”) on top of them? I opted to just continue to expand my old base and it’s gotten pretty substantial, only to find I’ve got two hot spots right across the river. You’d think they’d be close enough but they must be just outside of whatever the game considers the base perimeter, because it won’t let me build the extractor things on them. Is there a way to daisy chain poo poo over there or something, or am I seriously just hosed and need to build like a second base or something?

If they are really that close, you can go to the edge of where you can build things on your base, stand there and enter the build camera mode. Then just head over there with the build camera and build what you need to build and connect it back to your base with electrical wire/storage pipes or whatever. All using the build camera while standing inside of your actual valid base.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Mandrel posted:

gotcha, thanks fellas I’ll give that a go this evening. What’s the best way to make money at this point? Back in the day it was raiding those ruins, I imagine now it’s farming some sort of valuable resource? I’ve got about 40 mil, and I’ve got my eye on getting one of those big star destroyer looking freighters, gotta up my bank roll.

For me it was setting up an activated iridium farm with mineral extractors. There are crazier ways to make income like stasis devices, but activated iridium farming is a great way to just have passive income. Just gotta collect it every few hours and sell, and your depots fill back up while you are out doing other things.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Thundarr posted:

The upgrade grind for living ships is easily the worst grind in the game and probably where I'm going to step away from the game again. At least with, say, freighter upgrades, I could guarantee S rank upgrades every time and max out the inventory size. Neither seems to be possible for living ships barring save editors (or glitching it with freighter upgrades but I'd have to replace my existing freighter for that and I ain't upgrading it all over again). Since the living ship will never be able to remotely compare with my exotic ship, I don't see much use in continuing to grind away at it.

So you can't upgrade storage but living ships get pretty good on the tech front - mine was my main warping ship to get to the center. Plus you can pay nanites to upgrade a C-class living ship upgrade all the way to S.

What I did was go to NMSCoordinateExchange on reddit, and there are systems that will give you two void eggs within your first two pulses. Go to one of those systems, save, pulse, get your void egg, pulse again, get the 2nd, third, whatever. Then just go back to your freighter, save, reload, pulse again for void eggs. Repeat until you have all the upgrades you want. It doesn't take long this way.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Thundarr posted:

Wait, you can upgrade living ship *upgrade modules* to S rank? How and where do you do this?

Install the living ship technology module, hover over it. It should have a button to upgrade it using nanites. I think the button for it is square on the PS4.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Thundarr posted:

Market terminals on a planet also often sell jelly, so be sure to add one to any bases you build, then check them daily. 70 jellies from one terminal refines into a decent amount of dihydrogen.

Yeah once money is no issue for you just buy out all the dihydrogen jelly from a terminal and break it down. I used to just check at the space station or terminal on my freighter in every new system and buy it when I saw it.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

hawowanlawow posted:

Just started playing this game and I'm enjoying it a lot so far, starting to staff my first real base in the main storyline.

Am I missing something or is there no star system map? I know there are more planets in my system, but I don't know where to point.

You kind of have to get used to reading the ship radar. Took a little adjustment for me.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

DelphiAegis posted:

The matter transporter upgrade for your Freighter is legit the thing 100% most important forever. Since as soon as you build the 10 containers on your freighter and install that upgrade, you can access the freighter storage from anywhere in the system that your freighter is also in. This is way better than the starship version which just extends the range of the ship/exosuit interaction from 50u to 150u.

After that, the exocraft room in the freighter and as long as you're in a system your freighter can warp to, you never have to worry about storage or exocraft ever again.

Honestly the starship upgrade is so useless. They should vastly extend the range just to help you in the mid-game before you can trick out your freighter.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

DelphiAegis posted:

The upgrade modules are "easiest" to get from just attacking other freighters if you can stand the reputation hit for that system enough to get the 5 needed. TBH that's how I ground out the final upgrades for the freighter's hyperdrive as well simply because you need so many and getting 1-4 from a derelict freighter or loving around on a planet for them is boring as hell. And you can't summon your freighter to a system that it doesn't have the hyperdrive upgrade to access.

There is a nice bug still where if you have the freighter beacon and activate it, then put it into your personal refiner in your backpack, and leave it there while you do the derelict, you get to keep it and re-use it later so you only ever have to blow 5mil units once (or just talk to the guy in the anomaly). Not that after a certain point units even mean anything, of course.

If you pick them off of the NPC freighters (not cargo pods) you don't even get a reputation hit. I would just pick one or two off and then boost away and the sentinel ships don't even catch you.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

hawowanlawow posted:

Oh, that makes sense from what I read googling it.

The weird thing is I only have the one freighter, and I still got the quest to send it out on an expedition and it set off the timer and I got rewards from it. Guess it still won't upgrade but I'll keep an eye out for a better one :shrug:

If you are speaking about a frigate, I think your freighter may come with one by default? And it should upgrade - it just takes a few missions.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

IAmTheRad posted:

There are only 255 different galaxies with 3-4 billion regions with 122-550 different star systems inside of them.
The estimate is 18 quintillion planets in the game.

The heat death of the universe will likely occur before you could visit every single planet in the game if you were going at it alone and visiting one every second.

Even staying in Euclid (the starting galaxy), you are likely going to find stuff nobody else has found. One thing you might run into are the civilized areas of the galaxy. It's highly unlikely you'd run into another system that someone else has found and named stuff in. Heck, they might have visited a planet and might have named it but there's probably other stuff on the planet they haven't discovered yet.

I've definitely had a few systems on ps4 where I ran into previously discovered planets/creatures. Some on the outskirts of Euclid, but definitely more frequent when you get closer to the center. Normally though they just discovered one planet and moved on.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Arghy posted:

Welp i can't build the freighter matter transporter or the exocraft summoner on my expedition char, gonna just rush to finish those rendezvous quests.

Once you wrap to the second system with the second rendezvous, you can summon the anomaly and unlock the blueprints for the freighter things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Trying to get my gf the last step to complete the expedition and we just can't figure it out. She has scanner modules all grouped together and 2 S-class on supercharged squares on her A class multitool but can't seem to break the 200k credits barrier. I'm 99% sure we have the same multitool (pistol) bought at the same station. I'm getting like 350k for an exotic creature and my scanner modules aren't on any bonus squares at all. Thoughts?

Make sure the s-class upgrades she has give a bonus to fauna. I’ve had ones that only do flora & minerals.