Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Just reading the patch notes - wtf is a guild envoy mission?

nice things
- Added empty systems, with no current inhabitants
- Added abandoned systems, with derelict space stations
- New underground ruins building type
- Procedurally generated technology
- Procedurally generated products

bad things
- Brightened cave interiors, especially at night

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
The terrain manipulator is poo poo for spelunking because half the time it despawns the item you've tagged to find, even if you're careful to avoid it by a huge margin.

Anyways, four hours in, I'm giving up till next update as Next feels like a massive step backwards in terms of fun.

The changes to the terrain gen are super cool and the clouds look nice (sort of, sometimes) but that's it for positives for me.

The new features like ancient relics, buried resources and treasure, archaeology etc are just new icons to hunt in your visor, but like everything in NMS, they're loving *everywhere*, so by your second planet it's just another item on the grind list. No searching, no discovery, no rarity, no novelty.

The grind is also massively expanded to include all sorts of awful busy-work (looking at you, portable refinery), pointless inventory juggling and steps between raw resources and what you actually want to build.

Add tons of bugs and loads of other 'gently caress you' decisions too.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

CrashCat posted:

How are you actually supposed to get the buried stuff since the terrain gun deletes everything? I'm so confused.
It’s just a bug I guess, many resources just straight up disappear if the terrain manipulator is used anywhere near them. It’s not a bug with the marker system.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Is the only way to get the recipe for glass etc via the various quest lines? The grind is a bit less painful if you do stuff in smaller steps, and I've got a pretty rad base set up dug into a mountain overlooking a trading post that's above a huge lake so I get ships buzzing past all the time but the game is so monumentally bugged to poo poo that the threat of wasting my time on a bugged quest-line (plus I've it done it once already and didn't enjoy it at all) is putting me off playing any further.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

..btt posted:

Beyond this, there are several actions that immediately give you a wanted level, mainly picking up certain rare things (like gravatino balls) or shooting a reinforced door. The former can be trivialised by running away or hiding, the latter by hopping in your ship and shooting the door with its weapons then circling until they lose you. Planet-based sentinels can't keep up with an unmodified exosuit provided you're moving effectively.
This lets you massively cheese gravatino ball planets - once the sentinels have spawned, no more will spawn as long as you don't let the search timer tick down to zero. Just keep far enough away that they can't or won't attack and let them see you from time to time and you can keep harvesting those balls trouble free.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

SubNat posted:

It's just a shame that the Gravitino balls aren't particularly valuable. And their low stack size means even a full inventory of them isn't wholly impressive, pricewise.
Yeah, it's a bit disappointing. Same for albumen pearls - I'm only keeping them in case I need them later.

Are recipes/blueprints for glass, vehicles, access to freighters etc all locked behind quest lines?

I want these things but I don't want to commit to 20+ hours of probably broken 'gameplay'.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Avalanche posted:

What... the.... gently caress? How does broken questline code creep into character creation/generation?
HG really need to separate all the blueprints and other items from quest lines - give the player the option of buying or discovering a blueprint so they don't have to do the quest line if they don't want to, even if it's super expensive (buying an item could also be a more expensive but more predictable way of learning the blueprint, perhaps if you have the right equipment). Even ignoring bugs, not only is it rarely any fun, but also a universe of advanced beings and space flight where everyone has to grow their own glass from scratch is loving stupid.

You should be able to choose to ignore the tutorial and then just be able to get on with whatever you want, because fundamentally that's what the game was sold as.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Seriously, the game, even after multiple big updates, still seems based around the idea that tedious repetitive tasks are fun worthwhile content. Most design choices are completely rear end backward from anything we've seen in games in the history of video games. Like seriously, there are times you can't combine stacks of things depending on how much is in each stack. Like you can't just top off stacks of things for reasons. I keep having weird stacks of like 491 of something and I can't get it to 500 without splitting stacks and trying to guess what the gently caress it will accept.
It's a game set in a procedural universe, but there's no emergence - everything interesting that happens is literally a script on a timer (warping in on freighter battles, exotic ships, being attacked by pirates etc) and everything interesting you come across is just a one-off (crashed freighters, biological horrors)

It's a game set in an open universe, but there's only one way to do anything - if you don't want to follow the quest lines, you're locked out of 90% of the game

It's a game about exploration, but there's no exploration, discovery or novelty - the whole mechanic is 'press scan, then point at the closest icon in the HUD', and valuable stuff is both everywhere and uninteresting

There's a lot to love about the game, and you can definitely have fun, but drat if this game doesn't try it's hardest to make the time you play miserable

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

SubNat posted:

Extra so when the savegames are just <8MB. It would be an utter non-issue to just have a couple autosaves rolling to keep the last couple hours of gameplay backed up.
What's the reason behind the 8mb limit? It probably explains a whole load of bugs, especially terrain regenerating and burying your base, which sort of defeats the purpose of letting people build anywhere.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Some people, me included, like grinding games. Especially when you are grinding towards something, whether it be achievement hunting (which is meh for me) or just collecting resources for building projects or whatever, which tons of Minecraft players seem to love. Grinding is bad when it becomes the only necessary way to play the game when it probably shouldn't, like in an RPG, but in an open world game like this, there usually isn't any thing to do but build, collect poo poo, and explore, so grinding is fine with me in general. That said, the grinding combined with the weird design elements that slow gameplay to a crawl is not very fun. I wouldn't mind having to keep up a store of resources to keep a fleet up and running, but having to literally fly to the fleet and fix them by hand is not the good kind of grinding.
Having to put in a bit of effort to do stuff is good - it only really becomes 'grind' if you have to do it too much. On one end of the spectrum if building is too easy then you end up building everything in one sitting and then you're like 'oh, what now?' and on the other end you have to do so much work you just give up 5% in. Minecraft IMHO gets it just about perfect - you need to do stuff to build, but basic materials are super plentiful and zero faff to make, just the more fancy stuff takes a bit more effort. NMS OTOH completely fucks this up by being waaaaay over in the 'too much effort' end, plus there's not only grind but lots of pointless in-between steps.

edit to add: s.i.r.e said it much better than i did

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

precision posted:

I disagree vehemently with this. As evidence:

That to me is very interesting and was not scripted or designed. It's all maths!
I'd never deny that the game generates some stunning landscapes, and I was more talking about the stuff that happens than the terrain gen. But still, *everything* in that image I've already seen, many times over.

Kenshin posted:

I feel like there could be a few solutions to this that while they might not fix it they would at least ameliorate it:

Make the Advanced Mining laser (or the Exocraft mining laser) pick up basic components like Ferrite Dust at a much more rapid rate
Make the automated mining unit not terrible (250 capacity is stupid--give it 1000 at least)
Allow automated mining units to be placed on normal terrain to extract basic stuff like Ferrite Dust
Allow automated mining units to dump things directly into base storage?

I've noticed that with base building by far the biggest limiting component is Pure Ferrite. I can't imagine trying to build a base on a planet that doesn't have fairly abundant sources of Pure Ferrite.
The simplest fix is to make all survival resources free (but regenerate slowly and are top-up-able) - "Oh my ships out of take-off fuel, I'll just go an mine that valuable emeril over there and when I get back, I'll be able to take off again!"

Also make all resources, technology, blueprints and items purchasable.

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 2, 2018

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno that MC is the standard I would want NMS to be held to.
No, definitely not. I was only talking about the amount of grind you're subjected to to achieve whatever it is you want to do, though, nothing else.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

precision posted:

Well yeah, if you remove "interesting planets to run around on" from the equation, then it's true this game doesn't have much going on. But if you're into just exploring random planets, it's really good now. :shrug:

I'm just saying, some people who say this game is bad are really just saying "this game isn't for me" but in an obnoxious way.
This game is riddled with pretty unambiguously dreadful design decisions and game-breaking bugs - that's not 'this game isn't for me' - it's just that a few parts of the game are so good that people can still squeeze more or less fun out of it in spite of all the badness. I think that's why so many people have a love/hate relationship with it.

quote:

edit: I've played this game for like 200 hours, 40 of those since NEXT dropped, and that image I posted was literally the first time I'd seen a planet with deep foggy canyons and tall mountains. Pre-NEXT, such planets weren't even possible. So when you say "everything in that image, I've seen before" I'm like... well, you got lucky, or you're being hyperbolic, or just missing the point. :shrug:
The procgen is absolutely beautiful at times and sometimes all the holes in the cheese line up to make something fairly unique, but it's also extremely limited and only makes minor variations on a few narrow themes.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Libluini posted:

I'm always baffled by posts like this. This kind of thinking I can just not wrap my head around, you can always find something new when moving around.
Maybe you just don't notice it, in which case good for you, but you're kinda arguing against the technical implementation of the game here.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
This isn't to cause an argument, I've just been interested in procedural generation for years and discovering how limited it is in NMS is disappointing.

Libluini posted:

"A bunch" must mean hundreds of planets, and considering I've already spend almost 30 hours on NMS just traveling around less then 5 systems without seeing this, it boggles the mind how much you would have to play for this to become true.

I'm fairly certain it's just that some people have bad luck and get some samey planets right at the start, and then extrapolate this to mean the entire game is like this. :colbert:
No. You might see your fiftieth 30-eyed jumping pineapple monster and think it's unique because it's a different colour, but others say 'oh, one of those again' and wish we could see even just a 31-eyed jumping pineapple monster. But sadly the procgen just isn't that deep.

There's a small number of prebuilt biomes, each with a small number of prebuilt assets for textures and flora. Ships, fauna and weapons are all built from a small number of prefab parts also. The procgen cobbles these things together, but doesn't do anything to create additional variety other than palette shift some textures and change the scale of the flora and fauna. This is a shame, first because the actual number of assets is very small, and secondly because systems for generating flora, fauna and other things from scratch have been around for decades (look up L-Systems, for example), as has procedural texture generation and systems to distort and modify existing models to create more variety.

The terrain gen is impressive as hell though.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

DogonCrook posted:

Ive been thinking about this but if there were so many configurations it always felt unique it seems like it would be impossible to ever check it wasnt generating a bunch of edge cases that were broken. Like procgen seems like little changes can have far reaching effects so you have to be super conservative you dont break anything. Like it seems like a nightmare to generate a economy out of procgen resources especially if you want it to feel like anything is possible. I mean i dont really know about this stuff it just seems like it will take a long time to come to grips with procgen. Whats the best use of procgen so far?
This is all true. But, as long as they were edge cases, finding planets you couldn't land on or safely navigate because they were too hosed up for whatever reason would actually be cool, no? And something that was also hinted at.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Construction has started.

I really wish you could join the modular base stuff to the other base stuff (concrete/wood/metal).
This is cool as hell. Thread needs more base pictures.

Picked up the game again last night after being away, got my freebie freighter (it's a beast) and scrapped all the inside building area for millions of tons of silver. Then a frigate on a mission came home because it was too badly damaged to continue it's expedition, but the marker for it was inside my freighter...which I couldn't land on because the docking bays were red. Wtf?

Also transferred a massive bunch of antimatter from the freighter to my suit but when I went to use them they had disappeared. Did I just gently caress up or is this another bug?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Azhais posted:

gonna have to re dig that base out every few days, but pretty awesome.
I think they mentioned they fixed that bug. My base is partially buried in rock and there's not been any trouble except sometimes coming home to a tree growing through part of the base.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

precision posted:

One thing that baffles me is that Hello Games has still not learned yet to gate some exciting/weird content behind time/distance to the center/whatever.

Within a week of NEXT appearing I had already seen all the new poo poo in it. I mean, not comprehensively, but it's all just sort of dumped on you without any kind of pacing.

There does not appear currently to be anything in the game that would require you to go really "digging around" (metphorically or literally). Like, entire massive ruined cities (sometimes underwater or buried under mountains maybe) that only start appearing in certain sectors or at a certain closeness to the center. Now that there's multiplayer, it's ripe for that sort of thing, as when one person discovers it they can just say "Hey guys join my game to check out this weird poo poo".
Ringed planets are a great example of that. Should have left them off the box art and made them really rare but HG again are the insecure dude who tells all his best jokes and stories on the first date.

Literally everything in the game is ubiquitous, so nothing is interesting.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
It seems like there's a bug where changing the size of your terrain-manipulator blob doesn't affect the speed you extract from mineral deposits, so set it to the smallest size to get the most from a single deposit. Just be careful though because there is another bug that means you sometimes can't set the size back to whatever you normally use so it becomes useless for archaeology/building.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Just kill them!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
So I just landed my ship near to a ruin, and when I get out, I spawn *inside* the ruin model. Can't find any way out by running or jet-pack boosting. Can see my ship, but can't get into it. I'm 'indoors', so I can't use the terrain modifier or anything else to tunnel my way out or kill myself. Also, because I'm 'indoors', my life support doesn't tick down. I've reloaded the save a couple times, but same problem.

I'm on PS4, is there any way to kill my player or fix this some other way?

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 19, 2018

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Ratzap posted:

Sound like you're superbly hosed. Put up a bug report and attach the save, let Hello have a giggle at it too.

https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
I've filed so many bugs already that they probably send all my mail straight to the trash.

My previous save is from two days ago...it's only a couple hours progress but this game is so horribly broken I feel like a sucker for playing it at all, so I'm probably done for now.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
This might be old news, but I just noticed that you can destroy base doors without alerting sentinels at all if you use the blaze javelin at a reasonable distance away

Also this community stuff seems cool, but I'm worried that means they've basically 'finished' the game, and it's just community missions and new base parts/gestures from here on

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
has anyone else had an issue where markers for resources and your ship stop showing up? It seems to happen on the community quest planet, I'm guessing because there's a marker limit and they're all taken up with people's communication stations?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

18 Character Limit posted:

The high security/aggressive/hostile sentinel ones usually are covered in them. Though the low gravity makes running from the sentinels easier. Someday I hope they have better procedural lootables so it's not all gravitino stored in the balls.
Yeah high-security basically means gravatino balls, nothing else. I wish they'd made sentinels actually *defend* something, like, have different levels of sentinel hang out near crashed freighters or valuable resources or loot or whatever, so you could scout them out from a distance and use tactics or strategy or stealth or firepower - you know, standard FPS mechanics. Instead they're just a ubiquitous, omnipresent nuisance, which is no fun at all. But, you know, Hello Games...

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Apparently the next update is making exocraft 'more interesting'. Thats basically sellotaping a second dick onto the pig at this point.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

...! posted:

It's like they're purposely trying to make this as obnoxious as possible. I'm about done with this poo poo until they make it less annoying; the rewards aren't worth it. :argh:
This has been Hello Games design method right from the start, and it infects just about every facet of the game. When it felt like the universe had some novelty I could see past it, but now even that facade has fallen away, I've kinda lost hope.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
It all sounds so cool, but looks like the exact same stuff you do on land, just underwater - its the same crashed ship model, the same building models, and the same 'point your HUD at the icon' mechanic for finding 'buried treasure'. Doesn't fix any of the core issues with the game, for me anyway.

The new vehicle is cool (although it looks slooooow as heck) but I don't have the patience to work through yet another god-awful quest line to get the blueprint. Does the vehicle shop on space stations mean I can buy blueprints instead?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
This update looks like it improves a ton of things but I'm not ever going to touch this game again until they stop hiding the fun stuff behind blueprints that can only be unlocked by doing their awful bugged missions.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

planet generation got a big update this patch, which is why everything looks different now
its only the palette tho, I don't think the shape of the terrain is any different

we're probably stuck with what we've got in terms of terrain now because there's that whole online universe encyclopaedia that Hello Games set up that would be totally trashed by the terrain gen getting another rework

ps i still like your base, kettle

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
when you enter a system it shouldn't be hard to switch between the 1.x terrain-gen code and the 1.y terrain-gen code based on wether or not the system has been visited

the reason they don't do that is probably ~*effort*~ and also it would require being online, which NMS thankfully doesn't do

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Speedball posted:

Yeah, this is why, no joke, I tend to get more bang for my buck out of Starbound. It at least has multiple biomes and sub-biomes per planet.
Biomes would be cool but what would be nicer was if they generated flora procedurally using any one of the bajillions of techniques that have existed since the 60s instead of using about 15 prefabs

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

I just want them to fix the bugs and QoL poo poo. I don't even care about new content at this point, I just want to enjoy what we already have and I can't. I would love new stuff though, of course.
a million times this. I'm not touching the game again until someone else plays it for me and confirms the grind is gone (or at least sensible)

props to them for doing this regardless, tho

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

The Mash posted:

I really hope they add writers and flesh out a plot involving the three races. This is really a game with a unique and (relative to resources) succesful engine and game world, but with a real lack of characters and plot.
The trick they missed with races was that you can be best mates with all of them at the same time, which instantly kills about half the fun of any role playing game ever written.

But again that fits into the overarching theme of NMS - literally nothing you do matters and the only challenge in the game is how much grind you're willing to put up with.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Valatar posted:

In Elite when I fly into a system that nobody else has ever entered and land on a planet that nobody has ever touched, the feeling of utter solitude is thick enough to cut. I actually feel lonely in a way, sitting on a barren lump in nowhere. No Man's Sky mostly doesn't have that same feeling. Now that it actually has abandoned systems where there isn't a Space Walmart every mile on every planet and there aren't dozens of freighters chilling in space, it helps a lot, but it's still not quite the same.
Making non-barren worlds and systems rare would have stretched out the limited content and also added gameplay mechanics around how you find them and get to them, and made the game way more challenging and atmospheric to boot. But HG where worried it would be too boring, I guess.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Zesty posted:

Babby’s first procedural content game? We’ve done this exact thing with Spore. There’s been umteen other games between then and now that are vast oceans that are only an inch deep. Elite Dangerous included.

If Star Citizen ever gets released, you’ll see the exact same thing but a much grander scale of outrage.

These kinds of games make promises that can’t possibly deliver on what people extrapolate. NMS was particularly bad because it showed us a lot of fake gameplay trailers that they couldn’t make happen.
The thing is that the shallowness of the gameplay isn't due to technical reasons, it's 99% down to terrible gameplay decisions that they don't seem to want to address. I can think of a bunch of ways to massively improve the gameplay that wouldn't need any serious technical investment at all.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

there is neither skill nor luck involved in accomplishing anything in the game since every goal is ultimately gated by grinding either units or nanites. Which is a shame because the game is clearly capable of being way more than it is.
HG were just lazy. Literally every single 'exploration' mechanic in the game is nothing more than 'press scan, then point yourself at the icon in your hud and it will take you right there'. There's tons of way more interesting ways that they could have done this - instead of having a perfectly accurate pin-point icon, having something less precise like a compass sort of thing or proximity based beeper, or launching drones that would give you fuzzy heat-maps, or having terrain features that suggest certain resources.

The races is another good example, you just grind out missions but nothing matters. They could have made it that the races had a certain amount of conflict so you could be friends with one or two but at the expense of the others, and you'd have to choose who you allied with based on what they gave you in return, and even add pirates as a fourth race that gave you incredible loot but made everyone else hate you. Behind the scenes it's just juggling a few numbers like it does now, but suddenly you've got a universe that reacts to you and where your actions have interesting and long-term consequences.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I can understand them wanting to have everyone start in the same galaxy, because the community site where everyone can map the galaxy and document what they find and form alliances and whatnot could honestly have been really loving cool. The trouble is there's no correlation between one star and anything near to it, so there's no 'good' parts of the galaxy to head toward or 'bad' parts to avoid. Together with the hobbled procgen that means you'll never find anything remotely unique, the whole thing is totally pointless.

Its a technical marvel in places but its legit the most abysmally thought out, fun and freedom hating game I've ever played. The fact its scope means you can still get fun out of it makes me even more sad for what a missed opportunity it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

VR WHEN

Sean give it to us you coward
I had a weird thought about VR and NMS today. One of the things about VR is that you immediately get a much better sense of scale/depth/distance, and one of the things about NMS is that different objects in the game live in overlapping but massively inconsistent coordinate systems (just think how big a system's space station looks in the sky or compared to the planet it's orbiting when viewed from a distance, but how small the space station is when you actually get to it).

I wonder if moving to VR will force the game to do things at a grander and more consistent scale?